Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13455698

Subject: "RIP Timmy Thomas - "Why can't we live together" singer" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Tue Mar-15-22 03:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RIP Timmy Thomas - "Why can't we live together" singer"

Normally I'd put this in the Lesson...but uh...that 1973 track is too classic...just to thorough.

Why Can't we live together?

https://youtu.be/zJ38KmkQPik

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/15/arts/music/timmy-thomas-dead.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage§ion=Obituaries

Timmy Thomas, Singer Whose Biggest Hit Was an Antiwar Anthem, Dies at 77

His “Why Can’t We Live Together” rose to the top of the Billboard charts in 1973. He could never match its success.

Richard Sandomir
By Richard Sandomir

March 15, 2022, 2:45 p.m. ET

In the summer of 1972, the singer and keyboardist Timmy Thomas was watching the “CBS Evening News” and heard Walter Cronkite tick off the day’s death count of American and Vietcong soldiers.

“I said, ‘what?!’ You mean that many mothers’ children died today?” Mr. Thomas told Spin magazine in 2015. “In a war that we can’t come to the table and sit down and talk about this, without so many families losing their loved ones?’ I said, ‘Why can’t we live together?’”

His question became the title of his best-known song: a soulful, plaintive statement against the Vietnam War which he sang to his own accompaniment on the electric organ and drum machine. With a sentiment similar to Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On,” from a year earlier, Mr. Thomas sang on “Why Can’t We Live Together”:

No more wars, no more wars, no more war
Umm, just a little peace in this world
No more wars, no more war
All we want is some peace in this world
Everybody wants to live together
Why can’t we live together?

The song, released on the Glades label, a subsidiary of the Miami-based TK Records, reached No. 1 on Billboard’s R&B chart and No. 3 on its Hot 100 chart in early 1973 and sold upward of a million copies.

Mr. Thomas never again had a hit anywhere as big as “Why Can’t We Live Together,” but the song had a lasting impact. Forty-two years later, Drake sampled it on “Hotline Bling,” his hit about late-night cellphone calls from a former lover, which rose to No. 1 on the Billboard rap chart and No. 2 on the Hot 100.

“He had an opportunity to use Snoop Dogg beats, Dre beats, all these new beats,” Mr. Thomas told Miami New Times in 2018. “He went all the way back ... and used my original.”

“Why Can’t We Live Together” has also been covered by artists including Sade, Joan Osborne, Santana, Steve Winwood and Iggy Pop, who recorded it with the jazz organist Lonnie Smith for Mr. Smith’s 2021 album, “Breathe.”

Mr. Thomas died on Friday at a hospital in Miami. He was 77.

His wife, Lillie (Brown) Thomas, said the cause was cancer.

Timothy Earle Thomas was born on Nov. 13, 1944, in Evansville, Ind. His father, Richard, was a minister, and his mother, Gwendolyn (Maddox) Thomas, was a homemaker. By the time he was 10, he told Blues & Soul magazine, he was playing organ at his father’s church. “I always had a good ear for music,” he said. “I was one of 12 kids and most of them were into music, but I guess I pushed a little harder.”

After graduating from high school in 1962, he spent a week studying at a Stan Kenton summer music clinic at Indiana University, Bloomington, where his teachers included the saxophonist Cannonball Adderley and the trumpeter Donald Byrd.

While attending Lane College in Jackson, Tenn., from which he would graduate in 1966 with a bachelor’s degree in music, Mr. Thomas recorded a few songs in Memphis for the Goldwax label and was a session musician at Sun and Stax Records.

Even as he pursued a career in music, he worked as a financial aid director at Lane and a vice president of development at Jarvis Christian College, in Hawkins, Texas, and Florida Memorial University, in Miami Gardens.

He later shifted his focus to teaching. In 1993 he became the choir master at Miami Norland High School, and from 1996 to 2005 he taught music at Shadowlawn Elementary School in Miami. He earned a master’s degree in mental health counseling from Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale in 1997.

More than a dozen of Mr. Thomas’s songs landed on the Hot R&B chart between 1973 and 1984, but the outsize success of “Why Can’t We Live Together” cast him as a one-hit wonder. And he understood that it was difficult to replicate the success of his megahit.

He recalled that he once asked Henry Stone, the co-founder of TK Records, what he thought the problem was.

“He said, ‘Timmy, your major problem was what you said was so profound that you could never back it up,’” Mr. Thomas said, recalling the conversation to Spin magazine. He added, “I thought about it, I said, ‘You know, that’s tough. ... ’ I had some nice regional records after that, but nothing that worldwide.”

Richard Sandomir is an obituaries writer. He previously wrote about sports media and sports business. He is also the author of several books, including “The Pride of the Yankees: Lou Gehrig, Gary Cooper and the Making of a Classic.” @RichSandomir

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RIP
Mar 16th 2022
RIP sir
Mar 16th 2022
RIP
Mar 19th 2022

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4551 posts
Wed Mar-16-22 09:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Wed Mar-16-22 10:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RIP sir"
In response to Reply # 0

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sat Mar-19-22 10:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

Great song.

Also LOL at “Snoop Dogg beats”

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #13455698 Previous topic | Next topic