Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13455646

Subject: ""You are the company you keep"..." Previous topic | Next topic
Somnus
Member since Jun 25th 2012
3555 posts
Mon Mar-14-22 04:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""You are the company you keep"..."

in your experience how true is this adage?

The ULTIMATE negation of everything.

The space between despair and orgasm is hard to fill ~ Maron

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
pretty true, but few things in life are absolute
Mar 14th 2022
I am brisket sandwiches, butterfingers, and gummy bears
Mar 14th 2022
Not at all- however, it does reflect your values.
Mar 14th 2022
A+ nuanced response..i 100% agree.
Mar 15th 2022
is this part true though?
Mar 16th 2022
yes and no
Mar 15th 2022
I'm in the 'yes & no' camp
Mar 16th 2022

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Mon Mar-14-22 05:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "pretty true, but few things in life are absolute"
In response to Reply # 0

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Mon Mar-14-22 06:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I am brisket sandwiches, butterfingers, and gummy bears "
In response to Reply # 0

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Mon Mar-14-22 09:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Not at all- however, it does reflect your values. "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-14-22 09:52 PM by Cold Truth

People bond with others for all sorts of reasons.

There are romantic relationships that make absolutely no sense, for all but a single through-line.

There are close friendships where people are ideologically diametrically opposed in myriad ways. And there are just as many reasons for the existence of these relationships.

Particularly when it comes to friends from our formative years. There are a few cats that are still, to me, my brothers, but we don't see eye to eye on a goddamned thing.

most of us shed most of those people naturally, just through the course of life being what it is.

But then there are the stragglers, and sometimes those bonds run thicker than whatever differences we have. I have a friend who is my brother through and through, but he gets on my fucking nerves if we spend too much time together. We're that different. Our friendship doesn't make a whole lot of sense on paper, but that changes nothing.

Then there are those relationships where people are 180 degrees apart on serious issues, and yet maintain their friendship. A lot of that, IMO, is due to a largely misplaced sense of nobility toward the notion of being friends with those with whom you disagree.

Personally, I've developed some hard demarcation lines with a lot of things, and then there's that arms length area where I love them but probably wouldn't fuck with them if we didn't have the history we have.

The optics are what they are though. We all make certain baseline assumptions, because "birds of a feather" does carry some weight. But, to view this through the lense of another well-worn cliche, appearances are often deceiving.

On the surface, you might be viewed as one with the company you keep, but perceptions can, do, and should change if/when we get greater context. To that end, why you keep the company you do is what determines whether or not you deserved to be viewed the way they are.

I've been fooled enough to know that first impressions don't mean shit, and I think the "company you keep" line of thinking is in line with that.

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Tue Mar-15-22 07:13 PM

5. "A+ nuanced response..i 100% agree."
In response to Reply # 3

I don't speak to provoke. I speak because I think our time is short and each moment that we are not our truest selves, and we say what we do not mean because we imagine that is what somebody wants us to say, is wasting our time on this Earth - C. Adichie

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Wed Mar-16-22 03:49 PM

7. "is this part true though?"
In response to Reply # 3

>Then there are those relationships where people are 180
>degrees apart on serious issues, and yet maintain their
>friendship. A lot of that, IMO, is due to a largely misplaced
>sense of nobility toward the notion of being friends with
>those with whom you disagree.

I know there's a sense where people seem to brag about being friends with people they disagree with on political/social issues, but how much of it is people just wanting to brag about it vs it being an actual factor in why they are still friends?

there was some study a few months back about conservatives being more likely to stay friends with people they disagree with politically. talking just anecdotally, i've noticed liberal friends are more likely to brag about how they cut people out of their lives and conservative friends are more likely to brag about staying friends with people with whom they're ideologically opposed

Even with that i don't know how much of it is just that i live in a place where conservatives are more in the minority. I know a decent amount of Trumpsters but not enough that i've really heard things like "If you voted for Biden unfriend me now!". The closest is one friend who i genuinely like as a person but he's always on this conservative victim shit, so his version was "if you really think i'm a racist because i voted for trump, unfren..." Maybe that dynamic flips in other parts of the country tho. i dunno.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Tue Mar-15-22 10:24 AM

4. "yes and no"
In response to Reply # 0

I like to think all me friends are decent people but if one does some wild shit does that make me just as wild?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Wed Mar-16-22 11:15 AM

6. "I'm in the 'yes & no' camp"
In response to Reply # 4

Each individual is kind of responsible for their own behavior. It's a dangerous ground when you're hanging out with people who aren't doing right, though.

Also, as an adult I've seen that if you surround yourself with people who are doing well and heading in a positive direction, it's much easier to do better yourself. With few exceptions, if you surround yourself with shit people, you're probably not going to be wildly happy and successful in life.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Lobby General Discussion topic #13455646 Previous topic | Next topic