Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13455469

Subject: "Juicy gets 150 days Cook County" Previous topic | Next topic
rdhull
Charter member
33135 posts
Thu Mar-10-22 08:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Juicy gets 150 days Cook County"

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jussie-smollett-sentenced-150-days-jail-lying-police-claiming-racist-h-rcna19479

ussie Smollett sentenced to 150 days in jail for lying to police claiming racist, homophobic attack
The former “Empire” star, 39, was found guilty in December on five counts of felony disorderly conduct.

March 10, 2022, 4:40 PM PST
By Minyvonne Burke
Embattled actor Jussie Smollett was sentenced to 150 days in jail and 30 months probation on Thursday for falsely reporting to police that he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack in 2019.

"You're just a charlatan pretending to be a victim of a hate crime," Judge James Linn told Smollett while announcing the sentence.

Smollett responded to the sentence by repeating, "I am not suicidal!" He said he was innocent that "if anything happens to me when I go in there, I did not do it to myself," referring to jail.
The former "Empire" star, 39, was found guilty by a Chicago jury in December on five counts of felony disorderly conduct. He was found not guilty on the sixth charge of aggravated battery.

The charges stemmed from a January 2019 report in which Smollett, who is Black and gay, alleged that he had been brutally assaulted in Chicago’s Streeterville neighborhood.

The actor said two men punched and kicked him, used racist and homophobic slurs, threw a chemical in his face and wrapped a noose around his neck.

The police investigation led to the arrests of Olabingo Osundairo and his brother Abimbola, who worked on the set of "Empire."

They were eventually released, and Smollett was arrested Feb. 21, 2019, after authorities accused him of recruiting the brothers to stage the attack.

Police said at the time that Smollett orchestrated the phony incident to advance his career, a claim the actor denies.

The judge excoriated Smollett during Thursday’s sentencing, saying he fabricated the tale for the attention. Linn said the false claim hurt genuine victims of hate crimes and that Smollett tried to exploit the real past and current injustices in the U.S.

"You took some scabs off some healing wounds and you ripped them apart for one reason: You wanted to make yourself more famous," Linn said. "And for a while, it worked. Everybody was talking about you."

Smollett’s attorneys said they would appeal, but Linn refused requests to stay, or put on hold, the sentence while that is pursued.

“I’m not staying this. This happens right here, right now,” Linn said.

Smollett raised his fist as he was being led out of court by law enforcement, saying: “I am not suicidal. And I am innocent. I could have said that I was guilty a long time ago.”

Prior to his sentencing, Smollett's legal team had pushed for either a new trial or a not guilty verdict, alleging that his constitutional rights were violated when the court prevented his lawyers from actively participating in the jury selection process.

In court documents, the team wrote that the court "made numerous trial errors leading up to the trial and during the pendency of the trial."

His lawyers argued that they were not allowed to ask questions of the potential jurors, preventing them from discovering any possible biases or “questionable impartiality” toward Smollett given the case being a high-profile one.

Linn said Thursday that whatever sentence he could hand down would pale in comparison to the damage Smollett did to himself and his career.

“Your very name has become an adverb for lying,” Linn said. “And I cannot image what can be worse than that.”

Smollett was also ordered to pay around $120,100 in restitution to the city of Chicago and was fined $25,000, the maximum allowed.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Hope he makes it out of this/can put this behind him
Mar 10th 2022
Dang! He said "If something happens to me in there, I did not do it to m...
Mar 10th 2022
he faked a hate crime. the boy aint right
Mar 10th 2022
he's a drama junkie
Mar 10th 2022
      lol yeah.
Mar 10th 2022
      I really wouldn't put it past him to fake a suicide
Mar 11th 2022
           what do you mean fake a suicide?
Mar 11th 2022
                same people who put that noose around his neck?
Mar 11th 2022
                     i think the funniest thing about his og story
Mar 11th 2022
                          if it was a gang of MAGA white girls with hoop earrings and cornrows
Mar 11th 2022
                          his over-pour of story ingredients reminded me that Atlanta episode
Mar 11th 2022
                          Before he made the accusation I couldn't point that dude
Mar 11th 2022
                               i watched empire for years and wouldnt recognize him
Mar 12th 2022
                          it never made sense from that part on. I wouldn't recognize dude
Mar 12th 2022
150 days for faking a hate crime is ridiculous, WTF
Mar 10th 2022
what the fuck are you talking about
Mar 12th 2022
gotdamn they threw the book at his ass..
Mar 11th 2022
how dare he make a mockery of their corrupt organization?
Mar 11th 2022
Nah not really
Mar 11th 2022
      people usually get longer sentences and more fines for false statements?
Mar 11th 2022
           nah I’m agreeing with you
Mar 11th 2022
this courtroom outburst though? https://youtu.be/N1Cb9TVAvcE
Mar 11th 2022
riveting acting
Mar 11th 2022
that was an outburst?
Mar 11th 2022
      Not an outburst at all. He seemed pretty respectful actually.
Mar 11th 2022
           outburst doesn't mean disrespect
Mar 11th 2022
                for real? That seemed tame as hell
Mar 11th 2022
                     i thk the fist in the air as he exited sealed the deal lol
Mar 11th 2022
                     Lol have you been in a courtroom before?
Mar 11th 2022
                     Jury duty
Mar 11th 2022
                     Yeah don’t jump out of your seat during a sentencing hearing
Mar 23rd 2022
                          I’m saying.. I seen people jump out the seat and over railings
Mar 23rd 2022
                               neither is normal behavior for a courtroom lol
Mar 23rd 2022
i legit wonder what goes on in his head
Mar 11th 2022
      Him not admitting it was a hoax is probably
Mar 12th 2022
           yeah. i mean i guess i get the instinct of not wanting to come clean
Mar 12th 2022
                RE: yeah. i mean i guess i get the instinct of not wanting to come clean
Mar 23rd 2022
RE: fuck Juicy
Mar 11th 2022
He threw up a black power fist? This nigga is a whole clown for real.
Mar 12th 2022
What are the intersectionality shills take on this?
Mar 13th 2022
Juicy fresh out...
Mar 17th 2022
I thought his punishment was ridiculous given the “crime”
Mar 17th 2022

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Thu Mar-10-22 09:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Hope he makes it out of this/can put this behind him"
In response to Reply # 0

That was a pretty dumb plan

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Thu Mar-10-22 10:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Dang! He said "If something happens to me in there, I did not do it to m..."
In response to Reply # 0

to myself." Yikes! I really hope nothing does happen to him. I wonder why he would make it a point to say that.

https://abc7chicago.com/jussie-smollett-sentencing-sentence-update/11638499/

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Thu Mar-10-22 10:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "he faked a hate crime. the boy aint right"
In response to Reply # 2

<--- Big Baller World Order

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Thu Mar-10-22 10:25 PM

5. "he's a drama junkie"
In response to Reply # 2

i feel more for victims of hate crimes who won't be believed, or maybe even won't report because of this asshole.

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Thu Mar-10-22 10:29 PM

6. "lol yeah. "
In response to Reply # 5

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 09:02 AM

7. "I really wouldn't put it past him to fake a suicide"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Mar-11-22 09:02 AM by Mafamaticks

just cause he made this a point

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 11:42 AM

10. "what do you mean fake a suicide?"
In response to Reply # 7

if you mean fake a murder with a suicide, i had the same thought.

because who would be tryna kill him in prison?

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 11:58 AM

14. "same people who put that noose around his neck?"
In response to Reply # 10

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 12:22 PM

15. "i think the funniest thing about his og story"
In response to Reply # 14
Fri Mar-11-22 12:23 PM by Mynoriti

is that these maga heads recognized him from TV

like that HAD to be part of it

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 01:21 PM

16. "if it was a gang of MAGA white girls with hoop earrings and cornrows"
In response to Reply # 15

I could believe they might recognize him

but aint no white dudes like “Oh shit, its Eve Bayou’s brother!!”

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 01:57 PM

18. "his over-pour of story ingredients reminded me that Atlanta episode"
In response to Reply # 16

i think it was Junteenth where that lady was talking about her play, gangbangers taking a strip club hostage with a pastor and a pregnant teenager during huricane katrina

Adwhizz
40926 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 03:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "Before he made the accusation I couldn't point that dude"
In response to Reply # 16

out of a line up if you paid me, and I'm probably closer to the target demo than some random MAGA goons

If you're going to make up a story at least make it believable

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Sat Mar-12-22 09:51 AM

32. "i watched empire for years and wouldnt recognize him "
In response to Reply # 22

on the street if i saw him. he is not notable at all out of the context of the Lyon family.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sat Mar-12-22 08:14 PM

34. "it never made sense from that part on. I wouldn't recognize dude"
In response to Reply # 15

but some white people did? just as a coincidence?

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Thu Mar-10-22 10:17 PM

3. "150 days for faking a hate crime is ridiculous, WTF"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-10-22 10:39 PM by Kira

Still waiting on Richy Rosario and the rest of their operatives to apologize to the black community. I vivdly remember people slandering the black community as homophobic for not supporting this lie.

WHERE ARE Y'ALL AT NOW? We really need to have an uncomfortable conversation about your actions during this debacle....

Oh, he raised his fist as he was led out of court! GTFOH.

With all that said, I wish Ed Buck got half the attention Jussie's lying self received.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sat Mar-12-22 08:14 PM

35. "what the fuck are you talking about"
In response to Reply # 3

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 09:41 AM

8. "gotdamn they threw the book at his ass.."
In response to Reply # 0

was it really that serious?

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4550 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 11:43 AM

11. "how dare he make a mockery of their corrupt organization?"
In response to Reply # 8

Mafamaticks
4667 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 01:47 PM

17. "Nah not really"
In response to Reply # 8

but we all know we play by different rules

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 01:58 PM

19. "people usually get longer sentences and more fines for false statements?"
In response to Reply # 17

Mafamaticks
4667 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 03:44 PM

23. "nah I’m agreeing with you"
In response to Reply # 19

It really ain’t that serious for him to get that much time

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6025 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 09:56 AM

9. "this courtroom outburst though? https://youtu.be/N1Cb9TVAvcE"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/N1Cb9TVAvcE

Cenario
59181 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 11:53 AM

12. "riveting acting"
In response to Reply # 9

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 11:57 AM

13. "that was an outburst? "
In response to Reply # 12

I was underwhelmed

still think he was overcharged

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 03:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "Not an outburst at all. He seemed pretty respectful actually."
In response to Reply # 13

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Cenario
59181 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 03:31 PM

21. "outburst doesn't mean disrespect"
In response to Reply # 20

for a courtroom, that certainly was an outburst lol

That was straight ripped from Law and Order.

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 04:33 PM

24. "for real? That seemed tame as hell"
In response to Reply # 21

he politely asked to speak and kept saying he respected the judge.

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10145 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 07:59 PM

26. "i thk the fist in the air as he exited sealed the deal lol"
In response to Reply # 24

lil bit of a spectacle

Cenario
59181 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 08:34 PM

27. "Lol have you been in a courtroom before?"

It's like a library.

That shit was absurd

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 11:18 PM

29. "Jury duty"
In response to Reply # 27

he asked if he could speak.

I’ve seen outburst before and this wasn’t what I would call an outburst.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Wed Mar-23-22 12:44 PM

39. "Yeah don’t jump out of your seat during a sentencing hearing"

The bailiff hurried over there because he thought Smollet was gonna do something wild once he stood up

Everything he said could have been in a press release. Nobody’s plotting to assassinate that guy, which is the inference from his statement. How many Black celebrities have gone to jail and nothing happened to them? He’ll do his time and get out.

The judge was being weird with all that talk about “dark narcissistic” behavior (like how he slipped dark in there LOL) but repeating “I am not suicidal” like he’s a political prisoner is bonkers.

They didn’t even killed Fred Hampton while he was in prison. Fuck makes Smollet think they’ll kill him in prison?

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Wed Mar-23-22 12:57 PM

41. "I’m saying.. I seen people jump out the seat and over railings"
In response to Reply # 39

but jumping up to give that lame speech.. lol.

Cenario
59181 posts
Wed Mar-23-22 02:43 PM

42. "neither is normal behavior for a courtroom lol"
In response to Reply # 41

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 06:06 PM

25. "i legit wonder what goes on in his head"
In response to Reply # 9

like how much he's convinced himself this really happened.

just taking 'then we fight on that lie' to new levels

but i don't pretend to really understand how narcissist's brains work

Adwhizz
40926 posts
Sat Mar-12-22 07:18 AM

30. "Him not admitting it was a hoax is probably"
In response to Reply # 25

at least partially responsible for him getting the time he did.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Sat Mar-12-22 12:17 PM

33. "yeah. i mean i guess i get the instinct of not wanting to come clean"
In response to Reply # 30

after all this time.
the beginning probably would have been the time to do that, but he's been committed to this lie for 3 years now, to the point that even the judge pointed out, his own name has become synonymous with lying.

to climb down now like "ok, you got me" after everything seems kinda incomprehensible

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Wed Mar-23-22 12:46 PM

40. "RE: yeah. i mean i guess i get the instinct of not wanting to come clean"
In response to Reply # 33

>after all this time.
>the beginning probably would have been the time to do that,
>but he's been committed to this lie for 3 years now, to the
>point that even the judge pointed out, his own name has become
>synonymous with lying.
>
>to climb down now like "ok, you got me" after everything seems
>kinda incomprehensible

The judge wasn’t lying? People in these streets saying “Why you smolleting, fam Tell the truth” LOL

I gotta get a YouTube link on this

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 09:55 PM

28. "RE: fuck Juicy"
In response to Reply # 0

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Sat Mar-12-22 09:31 AM

31. "He threw up a black power fist? This nigga is a whole clown for real."
In response to Reply # 0

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Sun Mar-13-22 09:22 AM

36. "What are the intersectionality shills take on this?"
In response to Reply # 0

Some of the main takeaways are:

1. Don't fake a hate crime
2. Don't go on a media campaign slandering the main community supporting you as homophobic.
3. Don't throw up a historicially symbolic gesture while led away by law enforcement after your hoax was exposed.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Mar-17-22 12:04 AM

37. "Juicy fresh out..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/16/us/jussie-smollett-released-bond/index.html

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Thu Mar-17-22 08:34 AM

38. "I thought his punishment was ridiculous given the “crime”"
In response to Reply # 37

a friend in Chicago was like “he got off easy given the circumstances” smh

I know dude lied but 150 days in jail was harsh af.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13455469 Previous topic | Next topic