Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13448723

Subject: "Anyone got a Roomba? " Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Nov-26-21 09:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone got a Roomba? "

It's crazy how long these things have been around. Yet for all that time I have never seen one or met anyone who has. So do you have one? If so for how long? And has it been a game changer?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
My sister got one
Nov 26th 2021
yeah
Nov 26th 2021
Yep, all of this. DJ Roomba doesn’t work well on cluttered floors
Nov 26th 2021
this is the big thing. you keep your house cleaner
Nov 26th 2021
I’ve had one for a few years
Nov 26th 2021
no but
Nov 26th 2021
no but I have a off brand robot vacuum
Nov 26th 2021
Shark. It keeps the place tidy.
Nov 26th 2021
Got 2..well one Roomba and one Eufy robovac..The Eufy is newer and quiet...
Nov 28th 2021
honestly one of our best purchases
Nov 28th 2021
on our second one, they are aight.
Nov 29th 2021
Yes and I have a hate hate relationship with it. Roomba 675
Nov 29th 2021
yes newer models are a big upgrade
Nov 29th 2021
      Thanks. I'm going to have to give that new model a try
Nov 29th 2021
Roomba?
Nov 29th 2021
we've had an off brand one for a year.
Nov 30th 2021
if you're interested in more detailed info
Nov 30th 2021

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Fri Nov-26-21 09:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "My sister got one"
In response to Reply # 0

She live in a 2 bedroom apartment. Her boyfriend at the time got it for her.

As a nigga who spends most of his time trying to automate processes, I can see the value in it. It does a decent job. Granted, she vacuums at least once a week or every 2 weeks at the least.

Seems like it's cool to use in between vacuuming so you don't have to vacuum as much, but I don't see it replacing a standard vacuum cleaner. She tried to use the roomba exclusively after hosting Thanksgiving and she sat and watched TV until she had to empty out the tray.

weaponry
Member since Jan 26th 2006
483 posts
Fri Nov-26-21 10:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "yeah"
In response to Reply # 0

it doesn't replace regular vacuuming but it allows you to do it less.

the only thing is...if you someone who has a lot of clutter on the floor (maybe toys if you got kids), you have to commit to making sure you keep the floor cleared so you can actually use the roomba regularly.

but when you do use it regularly, it's pretty nice in maintaining less dust and cleaner floors. we got a cat too so it reduces cat hair levels a good amount which has been helpful for my wife who is slightly allergic (which flares up when we go for longer lengths without vacuuming)

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Fri Nov-26-21 10:47 AM

3. "Yep, all of this. DJ Roomba doesn’t work well on cluttered floors"
In response to Reply # 2

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Nov-26-21 10:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "this is the big thing. you keep your house cleaner"
In response to Reply # 2

because you gotta keep it clean so the robot can vacuum

I had one years ago and my wife bought some eufy vacs more recently, they're better than they were but the experience is the same

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Fri Nov-26-21 11:56 AM

4. "I’ve had one for a few years"
In response to Reply # 0

I programmed it to run 2-3 times per week. It does a pretty good job. Only problem is it gets under the dresser but can’t always get out, so I’ve got to put something in a way so it doesn’t go under there, and it has on occasion gotten a shoelace or a phone charger stuck in it. If you keep things like that off the floor and block off anything it might fit underneath and then get stuck under, it’s hassle free and helpful.

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Fri Nov-26-21 05:05 PM

5. "no but"
In response to Reply # 0

i have a roborock s7. it vacuums, mops, and has a self emptying bin. it's great.

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Fri Nov-26-21 06:43 PM

6. "no but I have a off brand robot vacuum"
In response to Reply # 0

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Fri Nov-26-21 07:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Shark. It keeps the place tidy."
In response to Reply # 0

I still vacuum because it's not perfect.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Sun Nov-28-21 04:51 PM

9. "Got 2..well one Roomba and one Eufy robovac..The Eufy is newer and quiet..."
In response to Reply # 0

I've had the Roomba 10+ years and overhauled it once...
I want one of the newer Roomba that can map out your house and then you can tell it exactly which room or area you want it to vacuum....but I got other goofy shit that needs to be procured first lol...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Sun Nov-28-21 08:29 PM

10. "honestly one of our best purchases"
In response to Reply # 0

we got it earlier this year. been wanting to get it for a while but the game changer was the self emptying and the new mapping system (also an Amazon deal). it's amazing! we haven't brought the old upright vacuum downstairs since we've bought it and we're already looking to get another one for the upstairs. once it's set up it's fairly hands off. we have ours set on a schedule to vacuum 6 days a week in a different room/area each day. with the voice commands i can have it vacuum a certain area whenever needed. it's really awesome. we do have a handheld vac for the stairs and some areas that a regular vacuum couldn't reach either. once we get the second one upstairs, the upright vacuum will stay in the closet as a just in case backup.

if it detects a particularly dirty area it will go back over it a couple times. if the battery gets low it will go back to the base and charge up and then continue where it left off. if the bin on the Roomba itself get's too full it will go back to the base empty itself and then go back to where it left off. it will go between the legs on the kitchen table and find it's way out, but we put the cleaning schedule in our phones so we know to move the chairs so it will clean well. it has helped us be more tidy so that we don't have anything cluttered that it will have to navigate around.

it does not do really thick shaggy rugs. it also does not operate in complete darkness. we don't have any pets, but we do have kids.

oh yeah the self emptying bin doesn't need to be changed for about 2 months even with us using it nearly every day. i love this thing if it's not obvious.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Nov-29-21 12:06 PM

11. "on our second one, they are aight. "
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Mon Nov-29-21 03:55 PM

12. "Yes and I have a hate hate relationship with it. Roomba 675"
In response to Reply # 0

I have belgian malinois and a hound dog who both shed a great deal. It doesn't do well with that despite us having hard wood floors through 75% of the house except the bedrooms. The vacuum gets lost and stuck EVERYWHERE all the time. Has a hard time transitioning from hardwood to area rugs. It's cleaning pattern is random as hell. I was wondering if I got the top of the line one that you can program routes, if it's any better. Anyone know? I haven't used ours in a while. Now I just use the cordless hoover vac I got to combat the dog hair.

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Mon Nov-29-21 06:39 PM

13. "yes newer models are a big upgrade"
In response to Reply # 12

the i7+ (the one i have), s9+ & j7+ are the top models now and they all have smart mapping and self emptying bins. they don't vacuum randomly anymore and go back and forth inline until it covers an area. i've never really had it get lost that i'm aware of. it got stuck once early on because we have mats in the kitchen in front of the stove and sink that are raised. it would physically get stuck under the counter when it went up on the mats. we've started moving the mats out of the way when it's scheduled to do the kitchens and no more issues with getting stuck. if you do have a problem area you can also mark an area of the map for it to stay out of.

the j7 is the latest model that has cameras and its supposed to detect objects by sight and avoid them. specifically dog poop which is a complaint that a lot of people had.

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Mon Nov-29-21 07:06 PM

15. "Thanks. I'm going to have to give that new model a try"
In response to Reply # 13

I get tired of vacuuming every 2 days

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Nov-29-21 06:46 PM

14. "Roomba? "
In response to Reply # 0

What's Roomba?

I'm sayin' though, what?

I'm sayin'..

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Tue Nov-30-21 10:43 AM

16. "we've had an off brand one for a year."
In response to Reply # 0

it does the job for sure. not a bad purchase at all.

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Tue Nov-30-21 06:04 PM

17. "if you're interested in more detailed info"
In response to Reply # 0

check out Vacuum Wars on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/c/VacuumWars). he goes in depth about not only the Roomba brand but other manufacturers as well. really good info if you're looking to purchase.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13448723 Previous topic | Next topic