Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13447934

Subject: ""My life is an experiment of unconditional love" - Will Smith" Previous topic | Next topic
Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 10:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""My life is an experiment of unconditional love" - Will Smith"

"When you see things and you read things in the press and you don't understand exactly what's going on, just know that everybody in my life and everybody on my side, and in my team and my wife and my ex and my children...what you're watching is an experiment in unconditional love"

nobody wants to talk about that tho.

d

"I don't speak to provoke. I speak because I think our time on Earth is short and each moment that we are not our truest selves, each moment we say what we do not mean because we imagine that is what somebody what's us to say, then we are wasting our time

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
makes so much sense in view of the show on youtube...
Nov 15th 2021
I dont question anyone's capacity to love unconditionally
Nov 15th 2021
He was pretty transparent about exactly that on the show.
Nov 15th 2021
      Ah. I see he's speaking on a lot of this right now. Good stuff.
Nov 15th 2021
That's actually been rather obvious to me.
Nov 15th 2021
Why aren't his words enough?
Nov 15th 2021
      well...
Nov 15th 2021
      You saw something different than I did.
Nov 15th 2021
           his copout is he drinks a lot of coffee and was dehydrated
Nov 15th 2021
           again, you labeling it a copout instead of accepting what he says is tru...
Nov 15th 2021
                Yes, I dont believe the coffee/dehydration story to be true
Nov 15th 2021
           I mean Will was saying they were great until we found out about August
Nov 15th 2021
                I think being critical of her behavior with August is fair and warranted...
Nov 15th 2021
                     Come on Yo.
Nov 15th 2021
      That's is a question for those people.
Nov 15th 2021
Will Smith right after he finished typing that:
Nov 15th 2021
Lmao
Nov 15th 2021
That's goofy as shit
Nov 15th 2021
I've seen a lot of opinions about Will. Have y'all read the book?
Nov 15th 2021
I mean, the book ain't been out a week yet.
Nov 15th 2021
      I mean, I got it on day one and finished it on Friday
Nov 15th 2021
this couple really loves telling us about their relationship
Nov 15th 2021
i kinda want them to shut up about it.
Nov 15th 2021
I was going to buy his book before i realized he was serving us
Nov 15th 2021
I don't know what he means by "unconditional love".
Nov 15th 2021
It's no more dumb than thanking god for a meal
Nov 15th 2021
      RE: It's no more dumb than thanking god for a meal
Nov 16th 2021
           You're applying your god belief to his god belief
Nov 16th 2021
I don't believe that love can be unconditional.
Nov 15th 2021
Stockholm Syndrome
Nov 16th 2021
i'm thoroughly exhausted by this man
Nov 16th 2021
This sounds serious.
Nov 18th 2021
the energy you spent typing all that...
Nov 18th 2021
Sounds like you need some rest.
Nov 18th 2021
      more words
Nov 19th 2021
           You I'm sorry to hear about your hostage situation
Nov 19th 2021
lmao.. I donโ€™t think he meant what you think he meant
Nov 19th 2021
      I didn't mean what you think I meant
Nov 19th 2021
           cool
Nov 19th 2021
you were just having a meltdown about people not liking silk sonic
Nov 19th 2021
"a meltdown"
Nov 19th 2021
hi!
Mar 30th 2022
lmao
Mar 31st 2022
๐Ÿ˜‚
Mar 31st 2022
Prophetic response.
Mar 31st 2022
pray for the fresh prince, he's fighting his demons rn.
Nov 18th 2021

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 10:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "makes so much sense in view of the show on youtube..."
In response to Reply # 0

which has been great to watch
episodes with his family have been brutal

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 11:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I dont question anyone's capacity to love unconditionally"
In response to Reply # 0

love has nothing to do with tolerating things that dont serve your best interest for long periods of time though

outside looking in, Will is extremely preoccupied with public perception of his family. to the point where he may be keeping up a front to save face. he's appeared wounded if not completely broken

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 11:59 AM

3. "He was pretty transparent about exactly that on the show. "
In response to Reply # 2

>outside looking in, Will is extremely preoccupied with public
>perception of his family. to the point where he may be keeping
>up a front to save face.

He repeatedly talked about his entire public persona being a creation, to protect himself from the public knowing the real him. Also honest about the issues he had with his father making him determined to be perceived as the best dad in the world, regardless of reality.

He dropped some quotables in that show tooโ€ฆI love the quote that โ€œyou can care about the feelings of others or you can winโ€ and the fact that he didnโ€™t give an answer for what is the right choice, because it depends. In the story about Willow the right choice was caring about her feelings - regardless of the tour, the money, outside expectations, etc. But he also talked about plenty of choices to win regardless of the feelings of others.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 01:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Ah. I see he's speaking on a lot of this right now. Good stuff. "
In response to Reply # 3

The public persona thing runs deep.

Well beyond his public celebrity persona. He developed that as a child because he felt that he needed to craft that outward persona as a sheer matter of survival.

It's also to help cover up his perception of himself as a coward.

People have all these opinions on him, but things that are this deeply rooted doen't just turn off.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14015 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 11:59 AM

4. "That's actually been rather obvious to me."
In response to Reply # 0

I could be being naive in thinking it's been obvious to others, but I thought much of the criticism (and judgment) from people has been essentially communicating that there's a differnce between unconditional love and just plain stupidity and unnecessarily tolerating mistreatment.

It could be that Will is trying to prove that there really isn't a difference between the two... at least not in his mind.

I don't claim to know who's correct. I do know that I'll never again tolerate the kind of stuff he's tolerating. My life's path in relationships is teaching me something different. Only he knows what's right for him tho.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12151 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 12:27 PM

6. "Why aren't his words enough?"
In response to Reply # 4

Why are people so intent on painting him as this suffering husband when he has repeatedly made it clear that that is not at all the case?

It's so weird.

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 12:42 PM

7. "well..."
In response to Reply # 6

on the August Alsina Red Table (the only one I've watched), he was in tears and broken up that day

I wont say that makes up the whole of their relationship, but yeah

soulpsychodelicyde
12151 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 01:12 PM

10. "You saw something different than I did."
In response to Reply # 7

But even if that were the case, he has repeatedly, in so many ways, said that he is not at all broken up about their relationship and that they are in a great place. They both have said this.

Why isn't that enough? Why assume he's being 'mistreated?' Why is she a villain?

It makes so little sense...

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 01:26 PM

13. "his copout is he drinks a lot of coffee and was dehydrated"
In response to Reply # 10

https://www.insider.com/will-smith-jada-pinkett-smith-red-table-talk-crying-explanation-2020-10

>But even if that were the case, he has repeatedly, in so many
>ways, said that he is not at all broken up about their
>relationship and that they are in a great place. They both
>have said this.

I think they're keeping up appearances.

>Why isn't that enough? Why assume he's being 'mistreated?' Why
>is she a villain?

I dont think he's being mistreated or that she's a villain. I think he's ashamed and embarrassed by their dirty laundry hitting the public, with everyone seeing they're less than perfect

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 02:17 PM

17. "again, you labeling it a copout instead of accepting what he says is tru..."
In response to Reply # 13

>I dont think he's being mistreated or that she's a villain. I
>think he's ashamed and embarrassed by their dirty laundry
>hitting the public, with everyone seeing they're less than
>perfect

exactly. YOU think he's ashamed and embarrassed. He says he's not. But that doesn't matter to you because you want so badly for that narrative to be true that you won't ever accept or consider anything else.

d

"I don't speak to provoke. I speak because I think our time on Earth is short and each moment that we are not our truest selves, each moment we say what we do not mean because we imagine that is what somebody what's us to say, then we are wasting our time

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 02:28 PM

18. "Yes, I dont believe the coffee/dehydration story to be true"
In response to Reply # 17

my premise is he's saving face. meaning, he wont come out and admit if he's hurt either way

Im not invested in this very much either way. I found it very goofy how he tried to joke his way through he and Jada talking about serious issues they've faced. Im not pressed to know their tea/gossip/drama either, my whole thing is address it seriously (without being funny/goofy) or not at all

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 03:41 PM

21. "I mean Will was saying they were great until we found out about August"
In response to Reply # 10
Mon Nov-15-21 03:41 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

>But even if that were the case, he has repeatedly, in so many
>ways, said that he is not at all broken up about their
>relationship and that they are in a great place. They both
>have said this.
>
>Why isn't that enough? Why assume he's being 'mistreated?' Why
>is she a villain?

So when he says they are great now, folks are skeptical.

I also think people perceive her as a "villain" because she was smashing her child's friend who was staying with them while he was going through a mental health crisis. People tend to look down on that sort of thing.

>
>It makes so little sense...

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

soulpsychodelicyde
12151 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 05:08 PM

23. "I think being critical of her behavior with August is fair and warranted..."
In response to Reply # 21

... But this "he's being mistreated" narrative doesn't at all jive with what he himself has said.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 06:00 PM

25. "Come on Yo. "
In response to Reply # 23

We regularly disregard what people say in bad/abusive/toxic relationships.

Chris Brown and Rhianna made peace publically and recorded a duet "Ain't Nobodies Business" and people regularly disregard what she says about their relationship.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14015 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 01:29 PM

14. "That's is a question for those people."
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Nov-15-21 01:33 PM by Boogie Stimuli

>Why are people so intent on painting him as this suffering
>husband

I can only speak for what I would and wouldn't tolerate. My only speculation as to why people say he's suffering is the obvious guess that they'd be suffering if they were tolerating what he's tolerating and have probably never seen anyone tolerating those things who wasn't suffering to some degree because of it.

At the same time, unconditional love itself is an act that involves suffering, so I'd say it's safe to assume there's suffering involved here... it's just that he willingly embraces it as a challenge and means of self-development. That's a big part of unconditional love if not what it is entirely in some cases.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13572 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 12:03 PM

5. "Will Smith right after he finished typing that:"
In response to Reply # 0

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2017/07/11/11/harold-0.jpg

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 01:07 PM

9. "Lmao"
In response to Reply # 5

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 12:52 PM

8. "That's goofy as shit"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/yb30w4s4VPs?t=63

Love shouldn't be unconditional. That shit sounds all flowery and cute but that's some bullshit. If Jada was raising her hand to him, I'd bet he'd have some conditions then.

Problem is he scared to take the L (I don't blame him). He don't know where his boundaries are and it's too late to set them now.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 01:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "I've seen a lot of opinions about Will. Have y'all read the book?"
In response to Reply # 0

Because the literal book on Will Smith is out there, and if you just read it, you'll know exactly why he is the way he is. You'll know the reasons he makes the choices he makes.

And whether or not *you* would make the same choices, or think the same way, the reasons *he* is the way he is and makes the choices he makes, these are all crystal clear once you've read the book.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 02:05 PM

16. "I mean, the book ain't been out a week yet."
In response to Reply # 11

So I doubt anyone here has read ut yet, and part of the reason we are talking about him because he is doing press for the book.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 05:53 PM

24. " I mean, I got it on day one and finished it on Friday"
In response to Reply # 16

Since the book is there, it seems like people should just get the book.

Because it least then, they'll have better informed opinions.

I do see that he's discussed some of the book material.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 02:03 PM

15. "this couple really loves telling us about their relationship"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44615 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 07:51 PM

27. "i kinda want them to shut up about it. "
In response to Reply # 15

Shit really ainโ€™t that relatable when you factor in the money and the fame โ€ฆ.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 03:15 PM

19. "I was going to buy his book before i realized he was serving us"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Nov-15-21 03:18 PM by Heinz

with more fake shit to promote the book. What I felt duped with was the whole show was supposed to be his fitness journey but it was mostly to promote the book. He may be real with it in hindsight during the show but they knew this was for the book regardless if he suddenly gives up trying to do too many things at once.

The show is very interesting though and love seeing the mindset that made him successful and what also seems to be his demise. It explains a lot why the stuff he's been turning out has been mediocre the past couple of decades. Having the therapist there really breaking down a lot of it has been great. His entire career he and Jada have been trying to sell to us that this new hippie free flowing parenting he's been trying to do and the facade they try to create is all really fake or didn't turn out as well as they hoped. If that wasn't clear after the past couple of years of revealing whats going on behind close doors then you are still believing "the show" and not what is actually being shown to us these last few years. LOL @ Jaden wanting to be legally emancipated from his parents because After Earth flopped. What a fucking brat.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 03:36 PM

20. "I don't know what he means by "unconditional love"."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Nov-15-21 03:38 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

Will and Jada have ways of talking about things in lofty abstract terms using flowery language that tends to obfuscate and make things sound more unique and out of the ordinary than they actually are. Like saying "entanglement" instead of an "affair" or "cheated".

I could take from this statement that Will very simply is saying, I am not leaving my wife after being very publically outted as having an affair. That's cool and even commendable. I get it. I think I feel the same way about my wife (hope I don't have to get tested to find out). But admitting that so plainly doesn't sound as lofty and spiritual (and less simp-ish) as the way he tries to put it. But if that's what he means by unconditional love, I get it.

BTW, I also think its a bit more complicated then it appears because I believe Will has had his fair share of affairs and just has not been publically outted (or had affairs with his children's friends but yeah). And most relationships are complicated and no one I know sits in a position to judge their relationship.

HOWEVER, Will is also the guy who stood on the hill that there is NO circumstances he would ever leave his wife because he stood before God and said, "Til Death do us part..."** well that's fucking dumb to me. If that is your idea of unconditional love, that you think doing the right thing may include being miserable and unhappy, well, you aren't doing anything particularly noble or serving anyone except your own ego and pride.

So if that's what he means by unconditional love, then yeah no, that's not in the best interest of anyone in my opinion or experience.

**Whole Quote
"With Jada, I stood up in front of God and said, 'Til death do us part,' Smith said. "So there are two possible outcomes. One, we are going to be together till death, or two, I am dead."

So there are two possible outcomes. One, we are going to be together till death, or two, I am dead."

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 06:17 PM

26. "It's no more dumb than thanking god for a meal"
In response to Reply # 20

>Will and Jada have ways of talking about things in lofty
>abstract terms using flowery language that tends to obfuscate
>and make things sound more unique and out of the ordinary than
>they actually are. Like saying "entanglement" instead of an
>"affair" or "cheated".

I agree with this, for the most part. One thing I found annoying about his book is that there is a fair amount of this overly pholosophical framing.

>I could take from this statement that Will very simply is
>saying, I am not leaving my wife after being very publically
>outted as having an affair.
>That's cool and even commendable.
> I get it. I think I feel the same way about my wife (hope I
>don't have to get tested to find out). But admitting that so
>plainly doesn't sound as lofty and spiritual (and less
>simp-ish) as the way he tries to put it. But if that's what
>he means by unconditional love, I get it.

That's an overly simplistic take IMO. I think the implication that he's a simp for sticking around is even more simplistic, but maybe that's not what you meant, exactly.

>BTW, I also think its a bit more complicated then it appears
>because I believe Will has had his fair share of affairs and
>just has not been publically outted (or had affairs with his
>children's friends but yeah). And most relationships are
>complicated and no one I know sits in a position to judge
>their relationship.

Agreed.

>HOWEVER, Will is also the guy who stood on the hill that there
>is NO circumstances he would ever leave his wife because he
>stood before God and said, "Til Death do us part..."** well
>that's fucking dumb to me.

Citing god as a justification for damn near anything is dumb IMO.

That said, if you believe in a god, then it makes sense that someone would take certain elements of that belief very seriously, and it's not dumb within that context.

If that is your idea of
>unconditional love, that you think doing the right thing may
>include being miserable and unhappy, well, you aren't doing
>anything particularly noble or serving anyone except your own
>ego and pride.

I think that's overly simplistic take as well.

"the right thing" can include any number of unfavorable results to ourselves. I think whether or not it's "noble" is largely irrelevant, but to the point of who it serves, it really depends on the circumstances.

These sorts of choices really boil down to game theory for a lot of people.

As someone in a not-so-dissimilar (definitely not identical) situation myself, the net positives of holding our family unit together dramatically outweighs the potential negatives, up to and included the parts where I am unhappy or dissatisfied with certain elements.

> So if that's what he means by unconditional love, then yeah
>no, that's not in the best interest of anyone in my opinion or
>experience.

My currently lived experience disagrees with this completely, though that could change if you elaborate on your meaning here.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Tue Nov-16-21 10:57 AM

29. "RE: It's no more dumb than thanking god for a meal"
In response to Reply # 26

>>Will and Jada have ways of talking about things in lofty
>>abstract terms using flowery language that tends to
>obfuscate
>>and make things sound more unique and out of the ordinary
>than
>>they actually are. Like saying "entanglement" instead of an
>>"affair" or "cheated".
>
>I agree with this, for the most part. One thing I found
>annoying about his book is that there is a fair amount of this
>overly pholosophical framing.
>
>>I could take from this statement that Will very simply is
>>saying, I am not leaving my wife after being very publically
>>outted as having an affair.
>>That's cool and even commendable.
>> I get it. I think I feel the same way about my wife (hope
>I
>>don't have to get tested to find out). But admitting that
>so
>>plainly doesn't sound as lofty and spiritual (and less
>>simp-ish) as the way he tries to put it. But if that's what
>>he means by unconditional love, I get it.
>
>That's an overly simplistic take IMO. I think the implication
>that he's a simp for sticking around is even more simplistic,
>but maybe that's not what you meant, exactly.

I am not saying he is a simp. I am saying that he is speaking elaborately to fight off the perception that he is a simp maybe.

>
>>BTW, I also think its a bit more complicated then it appears
>>because I believe Will has had his fair share of affairs and
>>just has not been publically outted (or had affairs with his
>>children's friends but yeah). And most relationships are
>>complicated and no one I know sits in a position to judge
>>their relationship.
>
>Agreed.
>
>>HOWEVER, Will is also the guy who stood on the hill that
>there
>>is NO circumstances he would ever leave his wife because he
>>stood before God and said, "Til Death do us part..."** well
>>that's fucking dumb to me.
>
>Citing god as a justification for damn near anything is dumb
>IMO.
>
>That said, if you believe in a god, then it makes sense that
>someone would take certain elements of that belief very
>seriously, and it's not dumb within that context.

I believe in God and I don't think God is asking anyone to make promises in his name that are causing great harm. It's a lot different then saying grace before you eat because there is no harm in it. There could be harm in staying in a miserable marriage. Not saying Big Willie is in a miserable marriage, but he is proudly proclaiming to us that he would stay in a miserable marriage because god. That's dumb to me.

Don't "blame

>
>If that is your idea of
>>unconditional love, that you think doing the right thing may
>>include being miserable and unhappy, well, you aren't doing
>>anything particularly noble or serving anyone except your
>own
>>ego and pride.
>
>I think that's overly simplistic take as well.
>
>"the right thing" can include any number of unfavorable
>results to ourselves. I think whether or not it's "noble" is
>largely irrelevant, but to the point of who it serves, it
>really depends on the circumstances.
>
>These sorts of choices really boil down to game theory for a
>lot of people.
>
>As someone in a not-so-dissimilar (definitely not identical)
>situation myself, the net positives of holding our family unit
>together dramatically outweighs the potential negatives, up to
>and included the parts where I am unhappy or dissatisfied with
>certain elements.

Hey No one's relationship is perfect and I think we all measure all the pluses against the minuses. I also think we all put a huge premium on the plus of raising happy well-adjusted kids. We would suffer a lot for that outcome. However, being miserable can be a huge negative that can greatly impact the goal of raising healthy and happy kids. Kids absorb that misery. Not saying that's your or Will situations, but saying anyone in the situation where they would stay in a miserable marriage should really consider what's the point and you might be doing more harm than good.

>
>> So if that's what he means by unconditional love, then yeah
>>no, that's not in the best interest of anyone in my opinion
>or
>>experience.
>
>My currently lived experience disagrees with this completely,
>though that could change if you elaborate on your meaning
>here.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Nov-16-21 04:08 PM

30. "You're applying your god belief to his god belief"
In response to Reply # 29

>I believe in God and I don't think God is asking anyone to
>make promises in his name that are causing great harm.

What's the great harm coming to Will?

Will, in his book, seems happy and content with his life, and relationship with Jada. This comes across as a projection of what his lived experience is like for him, and it doesn't jive at all with his rather lengthy expression of how he deals with challenges and sees his own life.

>It's
>a lot different then saying grace before you eat because there
>is no harm in it.

Whether or not the act is "different" doesn't make it any less inherently dumb to thank what amounts to a mythological figure (with due respect, until proven otherwise, that's what we're talking about) for food humans grew/bought/prepared/earned/etc.

Anything someone does that is based on a belief in the existence in a deity that they cannot prove exists is, damn near by definition, dumb.

Belief in a deity is inherently personal. Even if two people believe in the "same" god, they nearly always hold different beliefs about that deity.

Which is why I contend that, within that realm of belief, there's no "correct" belief, because it all boils down to faith, not facts. I'm not trying to steer this into a theological discussion, but I think it's absolutely relative to this point. It's precisely why there are, what? Thousands, maybe, of sects of Christianity alone?

Granted, it's valid to disagree with with another's beliefs or interpretations. I just th

>There could be harm in staying in a
>miserable marriage. Not saying Big Willie is in a miserable
>marriage
>but he is proudly proclaiming to us that he would
>stay in a miserable marriage because god. That's dumb to me.

I don't see "miserable" there. Hard, maybe. But I haven't seen any indication that he feels miserable.

But he's also wired- and programmed- to see difficult tasks through to the end. This is glaringly evident in the first chapter of his book.

And his marriage is, in his eyes, among the most important tasks he's ever had. This man genuinely believes he can do anything. So, while he may vocalize that it's his belief in his vow to god that drives this choice, I think it's pretty clear from his book that this is his approach to damn near everything he considers worthwhile, because of more deeply rooted programming.

He believes in that vow to god. I think that's ubatz (c) Sopranos, but whatever. That's him, and it makes sense within the scope of his belief system. Moreover, he definitely does not convey a miserable marriage.

He's also not against divorce- he's just against not giving your all before it reaches that point.

>Hey No one's relationship is perfect and I think we all
>measure all the pluses against the minuses. I also think we
>all put a huge premium on the plus of raising happy
>well-adjusted kids.

>We would suffer a lot for that outcome.

>However, being miserable can be a huge negative that can
>greatly impact the goal of raising healthy and happy kids.
>Kids absorb that misery. ot saying that's your or Will
>situations, but saying anyone in the situation where they
>would stay in a miserable marriage should really consider
>what's the point and you might be doing more harm than good.

I need clarification here.

Did Will actually say, verbatim, that he would stay in a miserable marriage because of his vow to god?

I read the book, but I'm not following the press tour, so I could have missed that. What I glean from the book, based on his actual words, he just sees divorce as the option you take after you fought to repair whatever was plaguing the marriage. There's nothing in the book that even alludes to staying in a miserable situation of any kind, let alone a miserable marriage.

But yeah, if he's actually said that he'd stay in a miserable marriage- those actual words- due to his vow to god, I'd agree.

I just don't see that mentality anywhere in the book, which I'll generally default to, due to the fact that those are his lengthy, more fully fleshed out thoughts, read in his own voice.

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Mon Nov-15-21 04:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "I don't believe that love can be unconditional."
In response to Reply # 0

I think we all have conditions that are different than theirs. for them, seeing other folks is a relationship parameter they agreed upon. that doesn't work for a lot of folks.

or

folks will tolerate that type of stuff to stay with someone, even if the agreement was to monogamous.

I can appreciate that he's talking and trying to be more transparent.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Tue Nov-16-21 10:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "Stockholm Syndrome"
In response to Reply # 0

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Tue Nov-16-21 07:40 PM

31. "i'm thoroughly exhausted by this man"
In response to Reply # 0

please just go away for bit, my guy.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Thu Nov-18-21 04:43 PM

32. "This sounds serious."
In response to Reply # 31

What on is he doing to you that has left you "thoroughly exhausted"?

Knocking at your door at 3 AM every night, Big Willard's Witnesses style?

Has he hacked all your streaming subs and replaced everything with Smith Family content?

Have your Spotify (or whatever) playlists been replaced with a table read of the After Earth script?

He come to your job to crack on your shoes, telling your boss you ain't shit?

What, exactly, is he doing to leave you so thoroughly exhausted?

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Thu Nov-18-21 08:43 PM

34. "the energy you spent typing all that..."
In response to Reply # 32
Thu Nov-18-21 08:43 PM by ternary_star

is indicative of the the energy that exhausts me. just try-hard, unnecessary, look-at-me vibes. It's hard to avoid, because it's everywhere. So yes, he is exhausting.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Thu Nov-18-21 09:45 PM

35. "Sounds like you need some rest."
In response to Reply # 34

I can only imagine how exhausted you are by the more existence of someone you can easily just, you know, choose to not watch, read, or listen to.

In an age where nearly all media exists or doesn't, nearly exclusively at your own personal whims, it doesn't get more unnecessary and try-hard than being "exhausted" by someone you can avoid entirely if you just choose to.

Talk about seeking attention. In a post about the book of one of the most accomplished artists over the course of the last 35 years- god forbid someone write an autobiography and promote it, lord knows that's uncommon๐Ÿ™„- your contributions was how "exhausted" you were by that person.

Everything about everything you've said in here is completely absurd.

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 01:35 PM

41. "more words"
In response to Reply # 35

I literally can't avoid him because he never stops talking about himself on every form of media.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 03:42 PM

42. "You I'm sorry to hear about your hostage situation"
In response to Reply # 41

The problem is, you actually have to go to, click, and listen to be as inundated ad you say you are.

Whichever medium you're on, you have to actually go to him.

Unless you're somehow a hostage to clicking the play button on things you just don't want to hear.

Every form of media that exists has thousands upon thousands of other things you can watch or listen to, that does not consist of Will Smith. Despite his immense stardom, he sti encompasses a small percentage of all media.

But apparently, someone else is controlling your devices, thimbs, eyes, and ears, at all times, and whoever they are, has you on a strict Will Smith regimen.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 08:12 AM

36. "lmao.. I donโ€™t think he meant what you think he meant"
In response to Reply # 32

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 11:58 AM

38. "I didn't mean what you think I meant"
In response to Reply # 36
Fri Nov-19-21 11:58 AM by Cold Truth

Here's a much more concise summary of my reaponse:

๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 12:43 PM

39. "cool"
In response to Reply # 38

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 09:17 AM

37. "you were just having a meltdown about people not liking silk sonic"

i think you're just exhausted my guy. will smith aint got nothing to do with it lol

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Fri Nov-19-21 01:31 PM

40. ""a meltdown""
In response to Reply # 37

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Wed Mar-30-22 11:52 PM

43. "hi!"
Wed Mar-30-22 11:54 PM by ternary_star

no comment

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Thu Mar-31-22 07:20 AM

44. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 43

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Thu Mar-31-22 08:14 AM

46. "๐Ÿ˜‚ "
In response to Reply # 43

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Thu Mar-31-22 07:27 AM

45. "Prophetic response. "

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85067 posts
Thu Nov-18-21 08:08 PM

33. "pray for the fresh prince, he's fighting his demons rn."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Lobby General Discussion topic #13447934 Previous topic | Next topic