Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13446146

Subject: "Politics of rappers" Previous topic | Next topic
mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Wed Oct-27-21 05:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Politics of rappers"

So while browsing hiphopheads on everyone's favorite website I came across someone talking about Libertarian rappers.

Apparently there was a post from 9 years ago in a Libertarian subreddit recommending people listen to Hopsin.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/zod2m/libertarian_rappers/

So someone decided to make the same identical post today to see what people would say lol

https://old.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/qh1p4d/libertarian_rappers/

I find it surprising to see some of the names mentioned. I think I do see the reasoning but there is definitely some bias going on.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Those posts and people are complete idiots
Oct 27th 2021
Libertarianism seems like such a privileged political perspective
Oct 28th 2021
libertarian + reddit
Oct 27th 2021
LMAO nm
Oct 28th 2021
I remember trying out r/hiphopheads when The Lesson quieted down
Oct 28th 2021
A while back there was an episode of the Call Out Culture podcast,,,
Oct 28th 2021
lol i was legit just wondering if Immortal Technique is a anti-vaxxer lo...
Oct 28th 2021
      He's on twitter and yes...
Oct 31st 2021
libertarianism is good in theory
Oct 29th 2021
No. It's not.
Nov 01st 2021
      I'm sorry, what?
Nov 01st 2021
           The problem is the "free market"
Nov 01st 2021
                i don't see the problem
Nov 01st 2021
                     the connection to astrology is that it's fantasy.
Nov 01st 2021
                          not a fantasy by any stretch, the libertarian party is real
Nov 01st 2021
                               no it isn't
Nov 01st 2021
                                    weak, but real
Nov 01st 2021
                                         no one in it wants to make it real. it isn't real
Nov 01st 2021
                                         RE: weak, but real
Nov 01st 2021
                                              i agree that it's impractical
Nov 01st 2021
                                                   It's not even good as a theory lol
Nov 01st 2021
                                                   why is it bad in theory?
Nov 01st 2021
                                                   it's a dumb theory and anyone who actually believes in it is a dummy
Nov 01st 2021

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Wed Oct-27-21 11:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Those posts and people are complete idiots"
In response to Reply # 0

The idea that "hip-hop comes from place of government overreach" is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Hip hop comes from the exact opposite of that. Hip hop comes from communities that were abandonded by the state, from underfunded schools, from a lack of resources.

Dead Prez or Immortal Technique being Libertarian is fucking ridiculous. Someone even floated the idea of Rage Against The Machine. Jesus Christ.

All fucking idiots.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Thu Oct-28-21 07:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Libertarianism seems like such a privileged political perspective"
In response to Reply # 1

"I don't need the government to protect or enforce my rights!"

Really? MUST BE NICE!

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Wed Oct-27-21 11:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "libertarian + reddit"
In response to Reply # 0

talk about a hot acid bath of idiocy

--------

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Thu Oct-28-21 08:26 AM

4. "LMAO nm"
In response to Reply # 2

---

But hell, what do I know?

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Thu Oct-28-21 08:36 AM

5. "I remember trying out r/hiphopheads when The Lesson quieted down"
In response to Reply # 2

thought it would be place that could rekindle at least some of the magic

not even a little bit.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Thu Oct-28-21 12:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "A while back there was an episode of the Call Out Culture podcast,,,"
In response to Reply # 0

(Call Out culture is a podcast done by rappers Zilla Rocca, Curly Castro, and Alaska)

...where they talk about how a lot of white indie rap fans from the late '90s/early '00s have gone on to become pro-Trump Q-types. When I read posts calling dead prez and Immortal Technique libertarians, it reminds me of these cats who've missed the entire point.

Honestly, I blame RA the Rugged Man and Jedi Mind Tricks for much of this phenomenon, even though I've been known to enjoy their music.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Thu Oct-28-21 01:53 PM

7. "lol i was legit just wondering if Immortal Technique is a anti-vaxxer lo..."
In response to Reply # 6

because the spotify was playing all that stuff yesterday, and Bush era he was an info-wars truther type.. I have no idea where dude is at today

but yeah guys like RA, Vinnie Paz, Ill Bill, i like em, but they're always on some smart-dumb 'do your research, sheeple!', shit lol.

>(Call Out culture is a podcast done by rappers Zilla Rocca,
>Curly Castro, and Alaska)
>
>...where they talk about how a lot of white indie rap fans
>from the late '90s/early '00s have gone on to become pro-Trump
>Q-types. When I read posts calling dead prez and Immortal
>Technique libertarians, it reminds me of these cats who've
>missed the entire point.
>
>Honestly, I blame RA the Rugged Man and Jedi Mind Tricks for
>much of this phenomenon, even though I've been known to enjoy
>their music.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14016 posts
Sun Oct-31-21 01:28 PM

9. "He's on twitter and yes..."
In response to Reply # 7

he's anti-vax

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

beeinfinite
Member since Oct 20th 2021
195 posts
Fri Oct-29-21 07:03 PM

8. "libertarianism is good in theory"
In response to Reply # 0

but completely impractical in our time. people don't have the required faculties to self govern in a community without crumbling into chaos.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 08:13 AM

10. "No. It's not."
In response to Reply # 8

They been calling it "astrology for rich white men"
Which is basically what it is.

--

beeinfinite
195 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 08:18 AM

11. "I'm sorry, what?"
In response to Reply # 10

libertarianism advocates minimal state intervention in the free market and in the right to private life of citizens. does that sound bad to you?

what does that have to do with astrology and rich white men exactly?

the problem with libertarianism is that we cannot trust people to self govern due to our vast personal / ideological / theological differences, and sheer numbers. a large population like ours needs the state.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 08:22 AM

12. "The problem is the "free market""
In response to Reply # 11

as a fucking solution to anything.

--

beeinfinite
195 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 08:32 AM

13. "i don't see the problem"
In response to Reply # 12

a free capitalist market is the best system humanity has ever created. yes, it's not perfect, however, it has advanced society through innovation to incredible heights. life expectancy is longer than ever before, more people have access to information and education than ever before. it has driven culture / art / music to new and interesting places. technology is growing exponentially, allowing people to create a living / content with mobile devices. we are headed to the stars to explore other planets. we are about to launch the james webb space telescope on december 18th, which will offer us views of the universe never seen before. this is all thanks to capitalism and the free market.

the free market is just a tool. the fact that greedy and corrupt people abuse it does not make it evil or problematic. the free market has no intrinsic nature. you are free to use it as you desire. there are no perfect systems in human life. still not seeing the connection to astrology.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 09:45 AM

14. "the connection to astrology is that it's fantasy."
In response to Reply # 13

lol at the rest of that shit.

--

beeinfinite
195 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 10:21 AM

15. "not a fantasy by any stretch, the libertarian party is real"
In response to Reply # 14
Mon Nov-01-21 10:25 AM by beeinfinite

and lol @ laughing at the free market while discussing politics over the internet with a device and service the free market produced. unless you're living off grid and have created your own computer and internet service provider, you have nothing to laugh at and everything to be grateful for.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 10:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "no it isn't"
In response to Reply # 15

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

beeinfinite
195 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 10:32 AM

17. "weak, but real"
In response to Reply # 16

it's not a movement and i doubt it will ever become one, but who knows

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 10:52 AM

18. "no one in it wants to make it real. it isn't real"
In response to Reply # 17

Doomdata21
Member since Jul 21st 2002
1258 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 11:24 AM

19. "RE: weak, but real"
In response to Reply # 17

The principals involved are indeed fantasy. It's not really how the world can work in reality. You can't have police, public education, fixed roads in a society like that because it would always hedge on a wealthy person or people gouging those who rely on these things. It is pure unadulterated idiocy. If the government(the people) tried to push back they would just take their ball and go home. That would ruin whatever society that ran such a system.

Ayn Rand was so wrong that she herself took public welfare:
https://www.learnreligions.com/ayn-rand-welfare-queen-government-assistance-3975224

They don't mention that in Libertarian circles.

**Sig**
-Blackthought is the dopest emcee alive
-Uncle Sam and Santa Clause are good buddies.
-Be selfless and the world will be a better place.

beeinfinite
195 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 12:15 PM

20. "i agree that it's impractical"
In response to Reply # 19
Mon Nov-01-21 12:17 PM by beeinfinite

as i said it's good in theory but unattainable right now, however that doesn't mean its impossible.

sure, you can call it fantasy even, to me, if there are libertarian parties across the world, than it is real enough for me even if it has no immediate chance.

i've come across ideas in esoteric philosophy which explore self governance, where society regulates itself via the individual who is well educated and free to pursue happiness. the idea is that if every individual governs themselves to a set of principles that are beneficial to the self, the community is self governing as the whole is composed of good parts and does not need the state. i really don't think we'll see it in our lifetime, but one day, technology may open the door to these possibilities. if we can attain zero point energy, than anything is possible.

Doomdata21
Member since Jul 21st 2002
1258 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 12:29 PM

21. "It's not even good as a theory lol"
In response to Reply # 20

It ignores several important points that totally destroy it's Utopian premise. It's a bad theory on that note. So... not good at all under ANY real scrutiny.

Democracy is good in theory.

**Sig**
-Blackthought is the dopest emcee alive
-Uncle Sam and Santa Clause are good buddies.
-Be selfless and the world will be a better place.

beeinfinite
195 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 01:26 PM

22. "why is it bad in theory? "
In response to Reply # 21
Mon Nov-01-21 01:35 PM by beeinfinite

from wiki:

Libertarianism is a political philosophy that upholds liberty as a core principle. Libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and political freedom, emphasizing free association, freedom of choice, individualism and voluntary association.

Sounds great in theory to me, and I don't think it drives a utopian premise but underlines "voluntary association", "political freedom", and "freedom of choice". How are these things bad in theory? These things aren't utopian as it does not guarantee everyone has a perfect and blissful life, it simply attempts to provide liberty for all which democracy does as well.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 04:32 PM

23. "it's a dumb theory and anyone who actually believes in it is a dummy"
In response to Reply # 20

Lobby General Discussion topic #13446146 Previous topic | Next topic