Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13444989

Subject: "Talking Shop on a Monday." Previous topic | Next topic
spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Mon Oct-18-21 09:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Talking Shop on a Monday."

I got nothing. What's up w/y'all this Monday?

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
What it do, Spades…
Oct 18th 2021
WFH is really amazing.
Oct 18th 2021
      RE: WFH is really amazing.
Oct 18th 2021
           you right there, and honestly, there's no need.
Oct 19th 2021
big wanting to quit energy today
Oct 18th 2021
RE: big wanting to quit energy today
Oct 19th 2021
      I think the move is a one decent remote gig and side hustles.
Oct 19th 2021
Doctor surprised me with a Prostate exam
Oct 18th 2021
RE: Doctor surprised me with a Prostate exam
Oct 19th 2021
      The glove
Oct 19th 2021
           he should be slapped.
Oct 19th 2021
                I thought we were cool
Oct 19th 2021
                     wasnt this an episode from the michael che show?
Oct 19th 2021
do people really work 9-5?
Oct 18th 2021
RE: do people really work 9-5?
Oct 19th 2021
I'm salaried so I do work "9-5" (7-3 really)
Oct 19th 2021
im salaried too but its always been you come in at 8 leave at 5
Oct 19th 2021
Most of my jobs have been like that too.
Oct 19th 2021
there are times I work weekends
Oct 19th 2021
I skip lunch on the days I pick up my kids
Oct 19th 2021
Yeah, our office is 9:30 - 5:30 with a one hour lunch
Oct 19th 2021
I got the job!!
Oct 19th 2021
C'mon fam, come correct!
Oct 19th 2021
thanks bruh!
Oct 19th 2021
      Nicely done. Congrats on the new gig!
Oct 19th 2021
           preciate it
Oct 19th 2021
congrats!
Oct 19th 2021
thanks mayne!
Oct 19th 2021
pops champagne and tosses a firewall in the air
Oct 19th 2021
      yes sir!
Oct 19th 2021

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon Oct-18-21 09:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "What it do, Spades…"
In response to Reply # 0

sipping some coffee, watching Get Up and spending a bunch of the company’s money. 19 months, from home. Been insanely productive, got a nice, unscheduled raise a month ago…I don’t think I can ever go back to an office, now that I’ve seen this side.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

spades
44258 posts
Mon Oct-18-21 01:57 PM

2. "WFH is really amazing."
In response to Reply # 1

When I was on it in PR I'd get up early, knock out a bunch of work. Hit the Colmado around lunch time. Come back, do a bit more work and be done. My day typically ended around 2/3pm.

I was inanely productive and it felt like I was always on vacation, but I gotta say I got a little tired of being in the house.

this hybrid schedule I'm on now works well. I come in early, finish my work sometime after lunch and "Work from home" for the rest of the day.

lol

but I'm glad you're enjoying, fam.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Mon Oct-18-21 02:48 PM

3. "RE: WFH is really amazing."
In response to Reply # 2

>When I was on it in PR I'd get up early, knock out a bunch of
>work. Hit the Colmado around lunch time. Come back, do a bit
>more work and be done. My day typically ended around 2/3pm.
>
>I was inanely productive and it felt like I was always on
>vacation, but I gotta say I got a little tired of being in the
>house.
>
>this hybrid schedule I'm on now works well. I come in early,
>finish my work sometime after lunch and "Work from home" for
>the rest of the day.
>
>lol
>
>but I'm glad you're enjoying, fam.

It really is. Companies are going to have an issue on their hands with bringing people back. Some folks have already done a dry run of acting a fool/losing their minds/threatening to quit over vax stuff.

'Come yo azz back into this office' is gonna hit a bunch of folks in different ways. Some aren't going to want to come back at all. Some will only want to be back on certain days and certain times to do certain stuff..and even then, not really. Some will not only want to come back but they'll be broken up if everyone doesn't come back in the way that they'd want. IE: I'M HERE Tues/Wed/Thurs! How come these OTHA FOLKS are only here Wed and Thurs!? And *insert random person* is only here for a few hours on Wednesday!? This is some buuuuuuullshiiiiiiiid!

And this says nothing of how to manage the vax/no vax thing. Even if a company was 100% vax folks, some people are not planning to go back to driving into work with any kind of regularity ever.

spades
44258 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 09:56 AM

11. "you right there, and honestly, there's no need."
In response to Reply # 3

There are jobs that NEED people on site. However, most of us office workers can do what we need to do completely remotely, with a few work arounds.

Hell, some of us need no work arounds at all.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Oct-18-21 02:52 PM

4. "big wanting to quit energy today"
In response to Reply # 0

not feeling any of the work i have on my plate.

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 09:36 AM

7. "RE: big wanting to quit energy today"
In response to Reply # 4

>not feeling any of the work i have on my plate.

It is going around.

My thing is this: what is the plan here? Another gig? A set of side hustles with the idea that at least one of them 'hits' to the degree that they can give their current main income stream the old 'take this job and shove it'? Crypto (or Brypto for the bloods)?

What are people doing/thinking/planning? I don't want to look up in 10 years and be the only one working a regular office gig while everyone else here has moved out of the country and doing different types of work!

spades
44258 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 10:28 AM

18. "I think the move is a one decent remote gig and side hustles."
In response to Reply # 7

I can easily get a no brain remote gig for $50 - $60k annually. A step down for me, but in the DR, (or Mazatlan, or Belize, Thailand, Vietnam)..... I can live quite comfortably on that; add in a some gig work, projects here and there, and pretty soon it looks like I'm working my own hours at my own pace, in paradise.

I'm not there yet, PR was an experiment, but PR convinced me it is DEFINITELY doable.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Mon Oct-18-21 02:59 PM

5. "Doctor surprised me with a Prostate exam"
In response to Reply # 0

there has to be a better way

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 09:50 AM

9. "RE: Doctor surprised me with a Prostate exam"
In response to Reply # 5

>
>
>there has to be a better way
>
>
>

WHOA! Do you mean surprised you with a notification that you need to do it? OR surprised you with 'putting on a glove right then and there'?

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 09:54 AM

10. "The glove"
In response to Reply # 9

felt like Peter Griffin in that episode

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

spades
44258 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 09:57 AM

12. "he should be slapped. "
In response to Reply # 10

You gotta warn a brotha, c'mon!

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 10:11 AM

15. "I thought we were cool"
In response to Reply # 12

this changes everything

nurse who took my blood work after it was over was like “whats wrong”

I was violated woman!!!

VIOLATED!!!

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 10:56 AM

20. "wasnt this an episode from the michael che show?"
In response to Reply # 15

mista k5
16414 posts
Mon Oct-18-21 05:13 PM

6. "do people really work 9-5?"
In response to Reply # 0

all admin jobs ive had are 8-5 with an hour break for lunch. is 9 to 5 just a saying or am i getting screwed? lol

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 09:48 AM

8. "RE: do people really work 9-5?"
In response to Reply # 6

>all admin jobs ive had are 8-5 with an hour break for lunch.
>is 9 to 5 just a saying or am i getting screwed? lol

Not over here.

I don't know anyone who 'gets paid' for their lunches (IE: a 9-5). But really, only like a quarter of the folks I work with and around take a full hour for lunch everyday at the same time. There's a lot of 'grab a bite in between meetings or tasks whenever you can' and maybe a 'eff this, I'm taking a full lunch TODAY' every now and then type stuff. For me, I might end up eating lunch at 11:30 or 3:15 depending on what is going on...especially during the busier times of year (Q2 and Q3).

I'm surprised by the number of people who work 7-4. That's really common in Houston (office folks and field people). Or 6:30 - 3:30. And you know a bunch of folks take liberties with the 'no one really knows when people are supposed to be off or on' stuff. So you can get some folks trying to pull 9 to 4s WITH a for real lunch thrown in. But even with some of them, they jump back online later at night.

But hell, with people having to pick up kids from school, day-care, afterschool, big mama's, or wherever, it kind of makes sense. And even those without kids might be trying to get to the gym (if they don't do it in the morning) and/or happy hour. And lawd knows folks need to be trying to get to a date and/or hookup if that's where they're at in life, so yeah..the days of lots of people still working after 5:30 or later are fading away.

And with WFH/the push for more flexibility whenever possible, I could see it getting weirder and crazier. I'm already at the point where I know I'm going to log on in the morning and see late night emails from some people who regularly work an hour or two (or more) in the evenings. I worry about them but hey. They're supposed to be grown and maybe this works better for them.

spades
44258 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 09:59 AM

13. "I'm salaried so I do work "9-5" (7-3 really)"
In response to Reply # 8

that being said, there are days I'm working 7 - 5 or 6 so, the balance is in my favor, but it all balances out.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 10:11 AM

16. "im salaried too but its always been you come in at 8 leave at 5"
In response to Reply # 13

really meaning come in before 8 and stay as late as it looks good past 5.

i dont play that so im here at 8 and leave at 5 unless something really requires ME to stay. i am coming into the office and i am not going to carry the laptop back and forth every day lol if i can answer an email through my phone on "off" hours then i might.

if i had flexibility in the hours or the option to work from home then i would be more flexible on when i would get work done. in all honesty its a rare occasion that something pops up on off hours.

spades
44258 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 10:31 AM

19. "Most of my jobs have been like that too."
In response to Reply # 16

Admittedly, I'm in a good position.

Labor shortage
Expanding company w/limited people who have experience here.

The brought me in at the top of the payrange w/no negotiation required on my part, AND I've held the position of the next two people in my hierarchy above me, before, and thus am often helping them.

I'm not sure I COULD get fired or in trouble here. They need me.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 10:12 AM

17. "there are times I work weekends"
In response to Reply # 13

if there is a trade show or we go out of town for a meeting.

I’m like.. it all balances out IMO.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 10:06 AM

14. "I skip lunch on the days I pick up my kids"
In response to Reply # 8

but I take my full lunch any other day unless I’m slammed

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 02:57 PM

25. "Yeah, our office is 9:30 - 5:30 with a one hour lunch"
In response to Reply # 6

I'm salaried but those are the hours for hourly folks too. An hour of paid lunch is a nice little benefit.

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 01:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "I got the job!!"
In response to Reply # 0

just got the call and the offer. Finally in!!

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

spades
44258 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 02:12 PM

22. "C'mon fam, come correct!"
In response to Reply # 21

I need as many deets as you can spare.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 05:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "thanks bruh!"
In response to Reply # 22
Tue Oct-19-21 05:49 PM by tariqhu

my chest is still pounding from dude saying I got it lol

I've been trying to get into cyber security for the last 2 years with my company. ramping up my certs and creds. only applied internally, but there were a bunch of rejections.

anyway, had the interview last week. hour long. about 45 minutes of tech questions. as the call went along, the feedback I was getting was great. they kept praising my answers. I knew the conversation felt different as we were going along.

regular hours will be 8-5, but will have a week on rotation every few weeks. there will be a lot to learn.

J305
Member since Dec 07th 2008
7310 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 06:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
29. "Nicely done. Congrats on the new gig!"
In response to Reply # 26

peace

J305

People of color are NOT a minority. Think Global.

Don't Let Hollywood fool you.

http://www.twitter.com/Jtronic
http://www.last.fm/user/Jtronic

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 06:58 PM

30. "preciate it"
In response to Reply # 29

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 02:41 PM

23. "congrats!"

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 05:49 PM

27. "thanks mayne!"
In response to Reply # 23

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 02:48 PM

24. "pops champagne and tosses a firewall in the air"

get dis money!!!!

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Tue Oct-19-21 05:53 PM

28. "yes sir!"
In response to Reply # 24

Lobby General Discussion topic #13444989 Previous topic | Next topic