Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13444682

Subject: "Black Contributions to Political Social Vocabulary" Previous topic | Next topic
Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Thu Oct-14-21 12:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Black Contributions to Political Social Vocabulary"
Thu Oct-14-21 12:51 PM by Damali

since i saw folks in multiple places complain that Black people don't have the agency to add new terms to the lexicon of political discourse in the same way that the LGBTQ+ community (which has Black people in it!) has (heteronormativity etc etc).

So here's a list of terms I believe have come, fairly recently, from Black radical and political movements, thoughts and discourse..please add on if you know more or dispute any of these, if you like

anti-Black racism
afrofuturism
misogynoir
microagressions
prison industrial complex
BIPOC
blackfishing

any others?

d

"I don't speak to provoke. I speak because I think our time on Earth is short and each moment that we are not our truest selves, each moment, we pretend to be what we are not, each moment we say what we do not mean because we imagine that is what somebody what's us to say, then we are wasting our time on Earth. " Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
intersectionality nm
Oct 14th 2021
yes!!!! I used it too LOL
Oct 14th 2021
Is "womanist" too old?
Oct 14th 2021
great question...yeah its a little older than the last 5-10 years
Oct 14th 2021
......huh??
Oct 14th 2021
Black people add words to the dictionary too.
Oct 14th 2021
      why didn't you just ask THAT then? lol...ol bigassedwordsusingass....
Oct 15th 2021
I always assumed BIPOC was made by a non-black person. Learn
Oct 14th 2021
It came from IPOC (which of course comes from POC)
Oct 15th 2021
appreciate the terms and annoyed by the backlash
Oct 14th 2021
woke
Oct 14th 2021
#meToo
Oct 14th 2021

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Thu Oct-14-21 01:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "intersectionality nm "
In response to Reply # 0

Damali
35865 posts
Thu Oct-14-21 01:55 PM

2. "yes!!!! I used it too LOL "
In response to Reply # 1

WE DID THAT

d

"I don't speak to provoke. I speak because I think our time on Earth is short and each moment that we are not our truest selves, each moment we say what we do not mean because we imagine that is what somebody what's us to say, then we are wasting our time

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Thu Oct-14-21 02:04 PM

3. "Is "womanist" too old?"
In response to Reply # 0

That was my first introduction, as a deeply earnest white kid in the (ahem) late 90s, to the different, specific conversations folded into some of these terms.

Maybe I don't want to know if it's too old. But Alice Walker and Emilie Townes are a pretty good foundation.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Damali
35865 posts
Thu Oct-14-21 03:04 PM

6. "great question...yeah its a little older than the last 5-10 years"
In response to Reply # 3

"I don't speak to provoke. I speak because I think our time on Earth is short and each moment that we are not our truest selves, each moment we say what we do not mean because we imagine that is what somebody what's us to say, then we are wasting our time

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Oct-14-21 02:05 PM

4. "......huh??"
In response to Reply # 0

Damali
35865 posts
Thu Oct-14-21 03:03 PM

5. "Black people add words to the dictionary too."
In response to Reply # 4

d

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri Oct-15-21 01:43 PM

11. "why didn't you just ask THAT then? lol...ol bigassedwordsusingass...."
In response to Reply # 5

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49412 posts
Thu Oct-14-21 05:03 PM

7. "I always assumed BIPOC was made by a non-black person. Learn"
In response to Reply # 0

something everyday.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Fri Oct-15-21 02:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "It came from IPOC (which of course comes from POC)"
In response to Reply # 7

indigenous and people of color. And then black folks said, if indigenous people are being separated because of the uniqueness of their situation, black folks also need to be separated because of the uniqueness of ours. And thus BIPOC was born.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

sosumi
Member since May 30th 2012
858 posts
Thu Oct-14-21 06:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "appreciate the terms and annoyed by the backlash"
In response to Reply # 0

was feeling BIPOC then the "POC" wanted to change to BILAM+ or People of the Global Majority PGM which can be anti-Black

also folks are adding industrial complex to all kinds of things they do not like so the meaning is diluted... "coffee industrial complex"

and of course CRT is being misinterpreted...

Fire1986
Member since Jul 15th 2005
698 posts
Thu Oct-14-21 07:09 PM

9. "woke"
In response to Reply # 0

Everything has been figured out except how to live.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Thu Oct-14-21 09:11 PM

10. "#meToo"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Lobby General Discussion topic #13444682 Previous topic | Next topic