Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13443467

Subject: "Did anyone watch Candyman (2021) yet?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Fri Oct-01-21 08:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Did anyone watch Candyman (2021) yet?"
Fri Oct-01-21 08:10 AM by Bambino Grande

Sorry but that PTP post is dead like Helen Lyle

I had pretty high expectations going in, I'm a big fan of the original and I feel like Jordan Peele has more of «Get Out» in him, buuut maybe not?

(I'm probably in the minority of people who thought US was PRETTY good, not great - but I've watched it several times and the good parts - Lupita's acting, the vibe in certain scenes - goes)

Nia DaCosta is great, some of the cinematography is REALLY good, the acting is good too, but idk - this movie fell somewhat flat imo. Dunno what the problem is / was, perhaps the script was lacking in dramaturgy and some of it was just plain rushed or lazy.

Again, there's a lot of good stuff here, but ultimately a forgettable remake, unfortunately. Been lookin fwd to it for a good year and a half

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
it happened.
Oct 01st 2021
That’s because the horror genre is dead.
Oct 01st 2021
Well yeah - and no
Oct 01st 2021
RE: That’s because the horror genre is dead.
Oct 01st 2021

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Oct-01-21 08:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "it happened. "
In response to Reply # 0

ya know? its like you said, it's good but forgettable.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Fri Oct-01-21 09:48 AM

2. "That’s because the horror genre is dead."
In response to Reply # 0

Society is too intelligent for horror, so the feeling of fear or being scared
during a horror movie doesn’t exist anymore. Technology has made people
more advanced, and people have also been desensitized, so people just
don’t have that emotional component anymore to be horrified by a scary movie.

Movies or Tv shows have to be realistic, logical stories in order to scare people.
It has to be something like the Black Mirror, where episodes about technology
harming people are more frightening than some spirit or ghost going on a killing
spree.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Fri Oct-01-21 04:01 PM

3. "Well yeah - and no"
In response to Reply # 2

I don't know if the horror genre is dead, but I definitely agree we've become desensitized and are less prone to extreme reactions to anything «entertaining», wether its music, movies, horror, viral videos, sex. I often think about the kids that have all grown up with content fatigue, I might be hella wrong but I suspect they'll never know the feeling of music being like black magic; Discovering Prince, Stankonia when it dropped, Dilla, the first stream of Neptunes hits. At the time there was only *so* much music, not sure if anyone gets THAT feeling from anything anymore (I might be hella wrong)

BUT: «US» was a scary movie to me. Midsommar had its moments. I still get legitimately freaked out by horror, even though I agree we've been scared by the most vile and disturbing shit so many times on screen the actual scares are far and few between (the IT reboot for example, was almoat laughable dumb with its endless and failed attempts at jump scares)

This Candyman movie is never scary, and it didnt have to be. That isn't this particular movie's problem; Its moreso with the script, the pacing, character development, etc. I wanna say it was never scary, and it didnt really feel like it attempted to be. Some of the cinematography was excellent, some scenes were really good, so was the acting. But it never really took off and it didnt seem to settle into a confident or convincing rhythm, ever. So idk, it just fell flat. Scary or not, its main problem is not the horror, or lack of

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Fri Oct-01-21 04:13 PM

4. "RE: That’s because the horror genre is dead."
In response to Reply # 2

Lots of great horror movies over the past decade or so.

>Society is too intelligent for horror, so the feeling of fear
>or being scared
>during a horror movie doesn’t exist anymore. Technology has
>made people
>more advanced, and people have also been desensitized, so
>people just
>don’t have that emotional component anymore to be horrified
>by a scary movie.
>
>Movies or Tv shows have to be realistic, logical stories in
>order to scare people.
>It has to be something like the Black Mirror, where episodes