Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13441048

Subject: "People, would you want to work 9-5 with your SO?" Previous topic | Next topic
spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 01:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: People, would you want to work 9-5 with your SO?"

If the answer is yes, if you partner said no. Would you be mad? I'm not talking about starting a business or side hustle together. I mean y'all work in the same office, maybe in different departments, but close enough that you'd see them all day everyday, and you'd commute together, both ways.

Does it make a difference if it's your actual spouse?

Poll result (13 votes)
Yes (3 votes)Vote
No (10 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
met my wife at work.
Sep 02nd 2021
Wife and I met at work…
Sep 02nd 2021
hell naw, at certain places that's actually illegal
Sep 02nd 2021
As long as you both do your own thing, shouldn't be a problem.
Sep 02nd 2021
Conceptually yes, with my actual wife? Absolutely not
Sep 02nd 2021
lol
Sep 02nd 2021
      We had a four day conversation recently over money
Sep 02nd 2021
           my wife isn’t that long winded but my wife will say everything but
Sep 02nd 2021
Naw I keep my socials compartmentalized
Sep 02nd 2021
Worked at the same university when we were dating
Sep 02nd 2021
We met while working together... (edit)
Sep 02nd 2021
Ummm....that's pretty much been the past year...kinda. But nope, wouldn'...
Sep 02nd 2021
Been working with my wife since 2006...
Sep 02nd 2021
Different departments? Sure,
Sep 02nd 2021

PROMO
Charter member
30976 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 02:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "met my wife at work."
In response to Reply # 0

we dated while we worked together. it was totally fine...super easy really.

that was 15 years ago.

she just applied for a position at my current place of employment.

yeah, i got no issues w/ it.

Dstl1
Charter member
56232 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 02:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Wife and I met at work…"
In response to Reply # 0

worked in different departments, but it was a small building. We dated, got super serious, moved in together. We drove to work together, saw each other in the halls/break room, sometimes went to lunch together and drove home. We did that (the full living together and working at the same place) for about a year, before she left for a better gig. There were no issues, at all. We were in our early 20s, then. I couldn’t say how that would work, now.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 02:19 PM

3. "hell naw, at certain places that's actually illegal"
In response to Reply # 0

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 02:24 PM

4. "As long as you both do your own thing, shouldn't be a problem."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-02-21 02:25 PM by Frank Longo

Now, if your partner wants to also spend all your time together outside the office too? Might become an issue. But if both partners are smart, they have honest conversations, and they make sure to have their own lives away from their partner in addition to the one they share? Yeah, shouldn't be an issue.

I essentially worked from home with my wife for most of the entire last year. Things were fine.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 02:28 PM

5. "Conceptually yes, with my actual wife? Absolutely not "
In response to Reply # 0

Theres a way I have to speak to people at work that she could not tolerate
Its not aggressive. But its direct.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 02:29 PM

6. "lol "
In response to Reply # 5

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 02:38 PM

7. "We had a four day conversation recently over money"
In response to Reply # 6

It was a five minutes tops conversation with a lot of dancing and her talking around what she was thinking and feeling.
I gave her ALLLLLLL of the space and grace to work through that.
But in the end it was just cold numbers. Deal with how you feel after.
I can live like that, I love that woman, but I could not reasonably work like that. Not at all. Never. Ugh.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 02:59 PM

11. "my wife isn’t that long winded but my wife will say everything but"
In response to Reply # 7

the answer to a question.

I still have mo idea what days she can pick up the kids from school because she went down a list of every day and what classes she has..

Had to tell her three times “Just tell me the days” before she actually said them without all the extra shit.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

SeV
Charter member
50215 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 02:49 PM

8. "Naw I keep my socials compartmentalized"
In response to Reply # 0

Never even attempted to date any coworkers

Hell I've had like 1 coworker in the past 15yrs that have met my real friends

And they kinda had a mutual friend other than me so it was kinda inevitable anyway

But yea

I keep my personal and work life seperated

DALLAS LAKERICKS LETS GO!!

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 02:50 PM

9. "Worked at the same university when we were dating"
In response to Reply # 0

but in different buildings and different departments.

Rarely saw her so it wasnt an issue.

At my current gig there is a married couple. Not sure how they do it but they do it.

but she also wears the pants in their relationship and he says shit like “I wouldn’t go on a guys trip because I love my wife”

I could not work in the same building or dept with my wife. She already talks too much about work as it is… lol.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 02:56 PM

10. "We met while working together... (edit)"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-02-21 02:57 PM by Marbles

Ideally, I wouldn't want to have to see her at work in addition to seeing her at home.

Now, she almost took a position at my firm a while back. We would have been in different departments and we agreed that we wouldn't be together all the time (hanging at each others desks, eating lunch together everyday, etc). It was a good move for her so even though I didn't want to see her every minute, I was all for it. Some stuff is more important than being annoyed by her being around all the time.

EDIT - We're not married but we've been together for almost 18 & a half years. Technically, she's not my spouse.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 03:05 PM

12. "Ummm....that's pretty much been the past year...kinda. But nope, wouldn'..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-02-21 03:05 PM by FLUIDJ

Knowing how office politics can be....if she ended up having some HR drama, there's little chance I could keep away from it and no jeopordize my job.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 03:16 PM

13. "Been working with my wife since 2006..."
In response to Reply # 0

She was already at our company when we started dating back in 2001, and I started working for that company in 2006. We've both been in multiple roles with the company through the years, and are currently in the same department.

The main thing we do to make it work is we COMPLETELY separate work/home. Pre-pandemic when we were working in the office we didn't even drive in together - because we might not work at the same times and want to have the flexibility. We often have coworkers work with us for a while without even knowing we are married.

At home we REALLY try to not talk about work. That's been more difficult with us being in the same department, especially because I'm in management so she reports to one of my peers. Especially during the last year with us both working from home full-time. But keeping work-life integration/balance in line is extremely important.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44719 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 03:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "Different departments? Sure,"
In response to Reply # 0

I can think of at least five married couples at my company, and all work in different departments.

My wife was just joking with me yesterday that apparently my job is looking to hire attorneys in the legal department. Since it's a different type of law that she practices, the point is moot, but I wouldn't have been opposed to it.

And to echo other sentiments above, I met my first serious serious GF while working. I will say that shit got weird after we broke up, even though we were working in different offices by then (this is when I worked at a newspaper). Certainly hastened her exit.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Lobby General Discussion topic #13441048 Previous topic | Next topic