Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13440034

Subject: "you got pet insurance?" Previous topic | Next topic
tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 11:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"you got pet insurance?"

thinking about getting on the dog. he's a year old and no real issues, but he does have some kinda rash happening.

just trying to decide if it's worth it.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This is timely.
Aug 20th 2021
shit!
Aug 20th 2021
      If it's through your job, run don't walk.
Aug 24th 2021
           that's what I'm hoping.
Aug 24th 2021
           just decided to get the work option.
Aug 24th 2021
hell nah
Aug 20th 2021
bars lol
Aug 20th 2021
RE: hell nah
Aug 31st 2021
Yep, and it been indespensable
Aug 20th 2021
yup, got it though my job...
Aug 20th 2021
I had it and it was well worth it
Aug 20th 2021
Yep I had to with these two big babies I got here
Aug 20th 2021
just left the vet. bill wasn't horrible, but still.
Aug 20th 2021
It just makes sense...
Aug 21st 2021
RE: you got pet insurance?
Aug 21st 2021
we have the banfield/petsmart insurance
Aug 21st 2021
my buddy has that.
Aug 24th 2021
got it for our rescue dog when we got him at 4yo
Aug 25th 2021
I got it throught Nationwide.
Aug 26th 2021

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12151 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This is timely."
In response to Reply # 0

I pay like $118/month to insure my 2 dogs... one of whom is elderly. And though my vet bills are both frequent and insane because the old gal is, well, old... and her breed (shih tzu) tends to have higher risk for EVERY FUCKING THING... I have only submitted one bill to the insurance.

For context, I had to take her to the vet yesterday because she was having an eye issue and she needed some follow up testing/blood work, etc. The damage? $765.

I'm an idiot.

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 12:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "shit!"
In response to Reply # 1

this is exactly why I thinking about it. I can get it through my job, but just trying to see about the prices and make sure it's worth the monthly cost.

my dog is only a year old and healthy, but don't want to get into a bad situation.

they do reimbursement for 50%, 70%, and 90%, depending on the package you get.

hopefully your dogs get better soon.

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12151 posts
Tue Aug-24-21 09:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "If it's through your job, run don't walk."
In response to Reply # 2

Not only will it be discounted/subsidized by your job, but b/c your baby is so young, it will be much cheaper than what TF I pay.

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue Aug-24-21 12:21 PM

15. "that's what I'm hoping. "
In response to Reply # 13

haven't had a chance to price shop yet. gonna try maybe 2-3 other places and see how these prices look.

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue Aug-24-21 02:40 PM

16. "just decided to get the work option."
In response to Reply # 13

$57 a month with a payroll deduction. 70% reimbursement, $250 deductible.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 12:17 PM

3. "hell nah"
In response to Reply # 0

kinda wish we had it when our cat was sick but them again.. we prolly would’ve prolonged his suffering.

When the bills get to high..
the pet is gonna..

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 04:29 PM

8. "bars lol"
In response to Reply # 3

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Tue Aug-31-21 11:01 AM

19. "RE: hell nah"
In response to Reply # 3

>kinda wish we had it when our cat was sick but them again..
>we prolly would’ve prolonged his suffering.
>
>When the bills get to high..
>the pet is gonna..

what rhymes with high????

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 01:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Yep, and it been indespensable "
In response to Reply # 0

Especially when you have puppies. Many things are covered regarding office visits discounts, 2 wellness visits a year, some vaccinations are covered....

granted its for folks who care about their pets and dont just see them as just some animal

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 02:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "yup, got it though my job..."
In response to Reply # 0

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 02:12 PM

6. "I had it and it was well worth it"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 03:41 PM

7. "Yep I had to with these two big babies I got here"
In response to Reply # 0

My malinois got super sick when she was 5 months old from something she probably ate. Insurance saved me from having to drop $500.

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 04:32 PM

9. "just left the vet. bill wasn't horrible, but still."
In response to Reply # 0

blue dogs have skin issues, which was news to me since I've never had one before. so that insurance will be happening.

what companies are yall using? my job has a Nationwide deal. Want to check a few other options before making a decision.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Sat Aug-21-21 12:07 PM

10. "It just makes sense..."
In response to Reply # 0

..everything from random vet visits to aging.

X-rays/MRIs aren't cheap, and anything involving anesthesia means serious $$$ (including dental).

Most importantly, the peace of mind knowing that you can provide the best health care/life for your pet without worry.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Sat Aug-21-21 05:59 PM

11. "RE: you got pet insurance?"
In response to Reply # 0

Do it now before something unexpected happens and the vet sticks it in YOUR ass.

I recommend Healthypaws.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sat Aug-21-21 09:51 PM

12. "we have the banfield/petsmart insurance"
In response to Reply # 0

which I don't think I would call insuarance the same as other insurance plans

but it saves a lot of the regular checkups, as well as times we've had to take the cats in for other stuff

but it doesn't cover you elsewhere, so when we had to take our cat in to the emergency vet on the weekend, it was like $1700 so that lil mf could pee again.

it probably depends on age/breed etc but I think you're better off paying for something up front instead of just hoping nothing happens.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue Aug-24-21 12:07 PM

14. "my buddy has that."
In response to Reply # 12

he likes it a lot, but he only goes to Banfield. I don't want to switch my vet, so I'll probably do the job option.

I just wish it was a reimburesment plan, but it'll work.

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Wed Aug-25-21 10:47 PM

17. "got it for our rescue dog when we got him at 4yo"
In response to Reply # 0

trupanion. pay about $95 CAD/month and so far, it hasnt covered anything because his skin and dental were labeled preexisting cause he had...well, skin and dental issues when we got him.

but that also means we're lucky he hasnt had any serious claims, thank goodness.

best case scenario, we spend all the premiums and almost never make a claim.
worst case, we make lots of claims as he ages and be thankful trupanion is paying 90% of it with one lifetime deductible per incident. ie diabetes, c*ncer, etc. fingers crossed we lose all these premiums.

But god forbid an accident or major illness occurs, it'll be there, saving potentially thousands.

a friend of mine swears by trupanion. his idiot dog ate a sock 3 times getting stuck in his intestinal tract requiring surgery each time. trupanion has paid over 12 g's towards this dog, all before he was like 4.

get it while your pooch is younger and healthier. cheaper premiums, and less chance of disqualified preexisting conditions.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Thu Aug-26-21 07:52 AM

18. "I got it throught Nationwide."
In response to Reply # 17

hopefully, it's only used for routine stuff. starts 10/1. that'll be the same month we do his annual exam and get some of the flea/tick and heartworm meds.

you're right about the pre-existing issues. Last week, the vet said he's got skin issues. so of course, that won't be covered. should be good otherwise.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13440034 Previous topic | Next topic