Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13439076

Subject: "Pfizer's COVID anti-viral drug thread" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 10:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Pfizer's COVID anti-viral drug thread"

I missed the news, but it's entered Phase 2 trials.

If this works then COVID may be manageable. Imagine getting a positive test and taking a pill twice a day for 10 days that suppresses COVID replication so your immune system can take it out easier.

Facui spoke about it here: https://www.csis.org/analysis/conversation-dr-anthony-fauci-antiviral-program-pandemics

Biden's giving $3.2 billion: https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/biden-administration-invest-3-billion-american-rescue-plan-part-covid-19-antiviral

Swipe about pill:
http://fool.com/investing/2021/08/03/this-could-be-pfizers-next-covid-blockbuster-and-i/

Chief scientific officer Mikael Dolsten said that in the phase 1 study, PF-07321332 exceeded the level predicted to inhibit coronavirus viral replication by more than fivefold. Dolsten also stated that the experimental protease inhibitor showed powerful antiviral activity in preclinical testing that could be effective against "all currently known COVID-19 variants."

So far, the experimental antiviral drug appears to have a good safety profile. Dolsten said that there haven't been any safety issues in giving doses of up to 500 milligrams twice per day over a 10-day period.

Based on these encouraging results, Pfizer advanced the oral protease inhibitor into phase 2/3 testing in July. The company will evaluate PF-07321332 in five-day and 10-day treatments for individuals who have been in close contact with someone with COVID-19.

Coming soon?
There shouldn't be a long wait for Pfizer's next potential COVID-19 blockbuster. Assuming the phase 2/3 testing goes well, the company thinks that it will be able to file for U.S. EUA in the fourth quarter of this year.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Ok..now THIS give me pause
Aug 05th 2021
Why? It's basically the same process as antibiotics....you get infection...
Aug 05th 2021
when you out it that way..less pause
Aug 05th 2021
      There are a couple of problems with the vaccines.
Aug 05th 2021
           The only pause it give me is how much they gonna get into our pockets fo...
Aug 05th 2021
           Those who refuse vax aren’t going to take ten pills either
Aug 05th 2021
                I think a lot will
Aug 05th 2021
                Sure they will
Aug 05th 2021
                you misunderstand their stupidity
Nov 07th 2021
it's tamiflu, but for covid
Aug 05th 2021
I fear the virus is just going to get a lot "smarter"
Aug 05th 2021
*sucks teeth*
Dec 10th 2021
Pfizer says COVID-19 pill cut hospital, death risk by 90%
Nov 06th 2021
Gotta consult with Joe Rogan
Nov 06th 2021
RE: Gotta consult with Joe Rogan
Nov 07th 2021
Make sure you eat clay as well. And fuck Shailene Woodley in a yurt.
Nov 08th 2021
say what you want about joe brogan
Nov 08th 2021
      yeah, you're saying a bunch of generic nothing, man
Nov 08th 2021
      no he didn't
Nov 09th 2021
It's HIV Prep for COVID.
Nov 09th 2021
Rona vaxxx researcher fired for reporting falsification of research and
Nov 10th 2021
Get this out of my thread
Nov 10th 2021
      Lol what are you two
Nov 11th 2021
           Your comments are not approatite in this thread
Nov 11th 2021
Cost might be $500 for the course
Nov 17th 2021
Pharma AstraZeneca's Evusheld approved
Dec 10th 2021
Oh they finally releasing Pfizermectin?
Dec 14th 2021
The difference is this: Pfizer's drug has been PROVEN to work on COVID
Dec 14th 2021
      people never mention the maker of ivermectin says it doesnt work
Dec 15th 2021
some of the discussion about this pill makes me realize how dumb we are.
Dec 15th 2021
Approved!!
Dec 22nd 2021
Friend tested positive at CVS minute clinic yesterday...
Apr 30th 2022
RE: Friend tested positive at CVS minute clinic yesterday...
Apr 30th 2022
      did he have heavy symptoms
May 01st 2022
           After 2 days he said "Bad flu"
May 02nd 2022

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 12:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Ok..now THIS give me pause"
In response to Reply # 0

>I missed the news, but it's entered Phase 2 trials.
>
>If this works then COVID may be manageable. Imagine getting a
>positive test and taking a pill twice a day for 10 days that
>suppresses COVID replication so your immune system can take it
>out easier.
>
>Facui spoke about it here:
>https://www.csis.org/analysis/conversation-dr-anthony-fauci-antiviral-program-pandemics
>
>Biden's giving $3.2 billion:
>https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/biden-administration-invest-3-billion-american-rescue-plan-part-covid-19-antiviral
>
>
>Swipe about pill:
>http://fool.com/investing/2021/08/03/this-could-be-pfizers-next-covid-blockbuster-and-i/
>
>Chief scientific officer Mikael Dolsten said that in the phase
>1 study, PF-07321332 exceeded the level predicted to inhibit
>coronavirus viral replication by more than fivefold. Dolsten
>also stated that the experimental protease inhibitor showed
>powerful antiviral activity in preclinical testing that could
>be effective against "all currently known COVID-19 variants."
>
>So far, the experimental antiviral drug appears to have a good
>safety profile. Dolsten said that there haven't been any
>safety issues in giving doses of up to 500 milligrams twice
>per day over a 10-day period.
>
>Based on these encouraging results, Pfizer advanced the oral
>protease inhibitor into phase 2/3 testing in July. The company
>will evaluate PF-07321332 in five-day and 10-day treatments
>for individuals who have been in close contact with someone
>with COVID-19.
>
>Coming soon?
>There shouldn't be a long wait for Pfizer's next potential
>COVID-19 blockbuster. Assuming the phase 2/3 testing goes
>well, the company thinks that it will be able to file for U.S.
>EUA in the fourth quarter of this year.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 01:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Why? It's basically the same process as antibiotics....you get infection..."
In response to Reply # 1

and the Dr. prescribes a 10-day course of antibiotics....
this is just a 10-day course of antiviral if you get COVID.... sounds like a good idea to me

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 01:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "when you out it that way..less pause"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Aug-05-21 01:40 PM by rdhull

But yo...when does it end? And I got Moderna so is that out of the picture?

>and the Dr. prescribes a 10-day course of antibiotics....
>this is just a 10-day course of antiviral if you get COVID....
>sounds like a good idea to me
>
>
>
>"Get ready....for your blessing....."
>"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52621 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 01:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "There are a couple of problems with the vaccines."
In response to Reply # 3

1. Moderna and Pfizer are difficult and expensive to manufacture.
2. We don't know how long their protection lasts. So far we know it's good for at least 6 months.
3. Covid keeps mutating (like the flu) which means that we'll probably need new booster shots every year to keep track.

All this makes it hard to keep the population vaccinated. But on the other hand if you only needed to take a series of pills *after* you get sick then it's a powerful tool to help those who can't (or won't) get vaccinated. You also only need to make enough to keep up with folks who are actually sick instead of needed to account for the entire population of the world.

I never heard of this treatment before today but if it works, then it could be great.

---
Love,
Nopayne

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 03:58 PM

5. "The only pause it give me is how much they gonna get into our pockets fo..."
In response to Reply # 4

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 05:18 PM

8. "Those who refuse vax aren’t going to take ten pills either"
In response to Reply # 4

>1. Moderna and Pfizer are difficult and expensive to
>manufacture.
>2. We don't know how long their protection lasts. So far we
>know it's good for at least 6 months.
>3. Covid keeps mutating (like the flu) which means that we'll
>probably need new booster shots every year to keep track.
>
>All this makes it hard to keep the population vaccinated. But
>on the other hand if you only needed to take a series of pills
>*after* you get sick then it's a powerful tool to help those
>who can't (or won't) get vaccinated. You also only need to
>make enough to keep up with folks who are actually sick
>instead of needed to account for the entire population of the
>world.
>
>I never heard of this treatment before today but if it works,
>then it could be great.

Nopayne
52621 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 08:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I think a lot will"
In response to Reply # 8

We've heard a bunch of stories of these assholes begging for the vaccine from their death beds at this point.

---
Love,
Nopayne

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 08:48 PM

10. "Sure they will"
In response to Reply # 8

This is not over the counter. They will be told they have COVID and that taking this pills increase the chance of living by some percentage.

They'll take it.

------------

Rjcc
Charter member
94936 posts
Sun Nov-07-21 03:12 AM

13. "you misunderstand their stupidity"
In response to Reply # 8

Aaron Rodgers is perfectly happy to get treated with completely experimental shit

but he doesn't trust the vaccine

oh it doesn't make sense?

it doesn't have to

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Rjcc
Charter member
94936 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 04:51 PM

7. "it's tamiflu, but for covid"
In response to Reply # 1

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22248 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 04:07 PM

6. "I fear the virus is just going to get a lot "smarter""
In response to Reply # 0

We are fucking great at shortcuts though.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22248 posts
Fri Dec-10-21 10:53 AM

26. "*sucks teeth*"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri Dec-10-21 10:53 AM by MEAT

Hope we can produce those pills faster than an airborne virus can spread and mutate.

And I'm sure there's absolutely no risk that the virus can "learn" from the pill.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Sat Nov-06-21 09:27 AM

11. "Pfizer says COVID-19 pill cut hospital, death risk by 90%"
In response to Reply # 0

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-science-business-health-medication-eeea3c6a5f6428479e35bc1bcd7aec52

Pfizer says COVID-19 pill cut hospital, death risk by 90%

WASHINGTON (AP) — Pfizer Inc. said Friday that its experimental antiviral pill for COVID-19 cut rates of hospitalization and death by nearly 90% in high-risk adults, as the drugmaker joined the race for an easy-to-use medication to treat the coronavirus.

Currently most COVID-19 treatments require an IV or injection. Competitor Merck’s COVID-19 pill is already under review at the Food and Drug Administration after showing strong initial results, and on Thursday the United Kingdom became the first country to OK it.

Pfizer said it will ask the FDA and international regulators to authorize its pill as soon as possible, after independent experts recommended halting the company’s study based on the strength of its results. Once Pfizer applies, the FDA could make a decision within weeks or months.

Since the beginning of the pandemic last year, researchers worldwide have been racing to find a pill to treat COVID-19 that can be taken at home to ease symptoms, speed recovery and keep people out of the hospital.

Having pills to treat early COVID-19 “would be a very important advance,” said Dr. John Mellors, chief of infectious diseases at the University of Pittsburgh, who was not involved in the Pfizer study.

“If someone developed symptoms and tested positive we could call in a prescription to the local pharmacy as we do for many, many infectious diseases,” he said.

On Friday, Pfizer released preliminary results of its study of 775 adults. Patients who received the company’s drug along with another antiviral shortly after showing COVID-19 symptoms had an 89% reduction in their combined rate of hospitalization or death after a month, compared to patients taking a dummy pill. Fewer than 1% of patients taking the drug needed to be hospitalized and no one died. In the comparison group, 7% were hospitalized and there were seven deaths.

“We were hoping that we had something extraordinary, but it’s rare that you see great drugs come through with almost 90% efficacy and 100% protection for death,” said Dr. Mikael Dolsten, Pfizer’s chief scientific officer, in an interview.

Study participants were unvaccinated, with mild-to-moderate COVID-19, and were considered high risk for hospitalization due to health problems like obesity, diabetes or heart disease. Treatment began within three to five days of initial symptoms, and lasted for five days. Patients who received the drug earlier showed slightly better results, underscoring the need for speedy testing and treatment.

Pfizer reported few details on side effects but said rates of problems were similar between the groups at about 20%.

An independent group of medical experts monitoring the trial recommended stopping it early, standard procedure when interim results show such a clear benefit. The data have not yet been published for outside review, the normal process for vetting new medical research.

Top U.S. health officials continue to stress that vaccination will remain the best way to protect against infection. But with tens of millions of adults still unvaccinated — and many more globally — effective, easy-to-use treatments will be critical to curbing future waves of infections.

The FDA has set a public meeting later this month to review Merck’s pill, known as molnupiravir. The company reported in September that its drug cut rates of hospitalization and death by 50%. Experts warned against comparing preliminary results because of differences in the studies, including where they were conducted and what types of variants were circulating.

“It’s too early to say who won the hundred meter dash,” Mellors said. “There’s a big difference between 50% and 90% but we need to make sure the populations were comparable.”

Although Merck’s pill is further along in the U.S. regulatory process, Pfizer’s drug could benefit from a safety profile that is more familiar to regulators with fewer red flags. While pregnant women were excluded from the Merck trial due to a potential risk of birth defects, Pfizer’s drug did not have any similar restrictions. The Merck drug works by interfering with the coronavirus’ genetic code, a novel approach to disrupting the virus.

Pfizer’s drug is part of a decades-old family of antiviral drugs known as protease inhibitors, which revolutionized the treatment of HIV and hepatitis C. The drugs block a key enzyme which viruses need to multiply in the human body.

The drug was first identified during the SARS outbreak originating in Asia during 2003. Last year, company researchers decided to revive the medication and study it for COVID-19, given the similarities between the two coronaviruses.

The U.S. has approved one other antiviral drug for COVID-19, remdesivir, and authorized three antibody therapies that help the immune system fight the virus. But they have to be given by IV or injection at hospitals or clinics, and limited supplies were strained by the last surge of the delta variant.

Shares in New York-based Pfizer Inc. gained 11% to close at $48.61 on Friday.

___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

------------

Mynoriti
Charter member
38799 posts
Sat Nov-06-21 12:26 PM

12. "Gotta consult with Joe Rogan"
In response to Reply # 0

about this

jimaveli
Charter member
6586 posts
Sun Nov-07-21 10:49 AM

14. "RE: Gotta consult with Joe Rogan"
In response to Reply # 12

>about this

Don’t forget to do your own research by asking your dumbest friends and online trolls what they think too. Don’t be a sheep. And please ignore any irony along the way.

Sofian_Hadi
5621 posts
Mon Nov-08-21 09:15 AM

15. "Make sure you eat clay as well. And fuck Shailene Woodley in a yurt. "

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

beeinfinite
Member since Oct 20th 2021
195 posts
Mon Nov-08-21 11:03 PM

16. "say what you want about joe brogan"

but he had some valid points about cnn outright lying to spin a narrative

if you're buying everything the msm is spinning, than you're really no better than joe

Mynoriti
Charter member
38799 posts
Mon Nov-08-21 11:52 PM

17. "yeah, you're saying a bunch of generic nothing, man"
In response to Reply # 16

"makes valid points about cnn", and if "you buy everything the msm says" can really apply to anything.

it's more about someone saying with straight face that they're conferring with Rogan for their medical advice.

hell, i listened to JRE semi-regularly up until around a year and a half ago. Even then i'd be a pretty dumb fuck to trust him over my doctor, let alone brag about that shit out loud

Rjcc
Charter member
94936 posts
Tue Nov-09-21 10:57 AM

19. "no he didn't"
In response to Reply # 16

PROMO
Charter member
30822 posts
Tue Nov-09-21 09:50 AM

18. "It's HIV Prep for COVID."
In response to Reply # 0

Been interested/happy about this news since it first broke a few months ago.

This could be the drug that really "opens the country up" because you'd have WAY less to risk if you got COVID.

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Wed Nov-10-21 02:53 PM

20. "Rona vaxxx researcher fired for reporting falsification of research and"
In response to Reply # 0

Along with several other concerns.

Surprised this didn't get reported in the news...(note sarcasm)

These are just excerpts.

Feature
BMJ Investigation
Covid-19: Researcher blows the whistle on data integrity issues in Pfizer’s vaccine trial
BMJ 2021; 375 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n2635 (Published 02 November 2021)
Cite this as: BMJ 2021;375:n2635

Paul D Thacker, investigative journalist
Author affiliations
Revelations of poor practices at a contract research company helping to carry out Pfizer’s pivotal covid-19 vaccine trial raise questions about data integrity and regulatory oversight. Paul D Thacker reports

In autumn 2020 Pfizer’s chairman and chief executive, Albert Bourla, released an open letter to the billions of people around the world who were investing their hopes in a safe and effective covid-19 vaccine to end the pandemic. “As I’ve said before, we are operating at the speed of science,” Bourla wrote, explaining to the public when they could expect a Pfizer vaccine to be authorised in the United States.1

But, for researchers who were testing Pfizer’s vaccine at several sites in Texas during that autumn, speed may have come at the cost of data integrity and patient safety. A regional director who was employed at the research organisation Ventavia Research Group has told The BMJ that the company falsified data, unblinded patients, employed inadequately trained vaccinators, and was slow to follow up on adverse events reported in Pfizer’s pivotal phase III trial. Staff who conducted quality control checks were overwhelmed by the volume of problems they were finding. After repeatedly notifying Ventavia of these problems, the regional director, Brook Jackson, emailed a complaint to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Ventavia fired her later the same day. Jackson has provided The BMJ with dozens of internal company documents, photos, audio recordings, and emails.

The next morning, 25 September 2020, Jackson called the FDA to warn about unsound practices in Pfizer’s clinical trial at Ventavia. She then reported her concerns in an email to the agency. In the afternoon Ventavia fired Jackson—deemed “not a good fit,” according to her separation letter.

Jackson told The BMJ it was the first time she had been fired in her 20 year career in research.

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2635

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Wed Nov-10-21 03:05 PM

21. "Get this out of my thread"
In response to Reply # 20
Wed Nov-10-21 03:21 PM by handle

Go start your own thread to trumpet this, one not about the oral anti-vital pills.

Long story: A person at one of over a dozen data collection vendors ALLEGES the lab they work for says their were irregularities - although thus far none have bene found.

AND: This story was EVERYHWERE I was last week. Doesn't call into doubt the results of the trial which had dozens of data collection contractors and TENS of THOUSANDS subjects.

Start your own thread and update it as the story develops. it'll be rewarding.

And my first post to your new thread will be on TOPIC:
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/what-the-heck-happened-to-the-bmj/

------------

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Thu Nov-11-21 05:29 AM

22. "Lol what are you two"
In response to Reply # 21

get out of my fort.

Deal with the facts.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Thu Nov-11-21 10:10 AM

23. "Your comments are not approatite in this thread"
In response to Reply # 22

This is a thread dealing with an oral anti-viral medication, not the vaccine.

So make your won whacky post about "EBIL FARMA" and post your poorly written article, that DID appear in a highly respected journal, so we can discuss it there.

Your post will sink like a rock.

------------

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Wed Nov-17-21 10:35 AM

24. "Cost might be $500 for the course"
In response to Reply # 0

I heard that Biden admin is preparing an order for :
10 million doses (which are 30 pills)
$5 billion in cost
=$500 for the treatment

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-administration-plans-buy-enough-pfizer-s-anti-covid-pill-n1283984

The federal government initially planned to buy 5 million courses of the treatment — a course requires a patient to take two pills over five days — but President Joe Biden told officials to double the number after having seen how effective the treatment was in data Pfizer released this month, the source said, adding that the contract hasn’t been finalized.

Pfizer has said it expects to have only enough pills to treat 100,000 to 200,000 patients this year.

------------

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Fri Dec-10-21 10:19 AM

25. "Pharma AstraZeneca's Evusheld approved"
In response to Reply # 0

Not the virus replication prevention pill, but another prophylactic treatment:

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/astrazeneca-scores-approval-for-its-covid-19-antibody-cocktail-a-substitute-for-vaccination

With the FDA’s emergency use authorization today of AstraZeneca’s long-acting antibody cocktail, the roughly 2% of U.S. residents who are immunocompromised will have a treatment that provides protection comparable to what healthy people receive from COVID-19 vaccines.

Those 12 and older weighing at least 88 pounds will be eligible for Evusheld, which is a combination of two monoclonal antibodies (tixagevimab and cilgavimab) developed at the Vanderbilt University Medical Center. A dose of Evusheld provides protection for six months.

Evusheld is not approved for those who are infected or those who have been recently exposed to the virus. It also is not to be used as a substitute for vaccination among those who are recommended to be vaccinated.

Eligible to receive the intramuscular injections—which are given in succession—are those with moderate to severely compromised immune systems due to a medical condition or taking immunosuppressive medications. Also eligible are those with a history of severe adverse reactions to COVID-19 vaccines.

While vaccines depend on intact immune systems to generate neutralizing antibodies and infection-fighting cells, AZ’s therapy depends on lab-made antibodies that remain in the body for months.

------------

Mr. ManC
Member since Jan 26th 2009
11819 posts
Tue Dec-14-21 04:16 PM

27. "Oh they finally releasing Pfizermectin? "
In response to Reply # 0

This time, with patent added?

Nice.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Tue Dec-14-21 04:36 PM

28. "The difference is this: Pfizer's drug has been PROVEN to work on COVID"
In response to Reply # 27
Tue Dec-14-21 04:37 PM by handle

>This time, with patent added?
>
>Nice.

Snark or not, it's a not a bright criticism.

Ivermectin is great for lice and worms, I'll give it that.

------------

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed Dec-15-21 03:33 PM

29. "people never mention the maker of ivermectin says it doesnt work"
In response to Reply # 28

for covid.

merck (the drug maker who has no problem taking a buck from anyone willing to give it to them) put out a statement way back in feb. all of the discussion about ivermectin continues to completely ignore it.
https://www.merck.com/news/merck-statement-on-ivermectin-use-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/

its frustrating as hell to see people still debating/supporting that shit when the people who stand to profit the most of ivermectin idiots are like nah fam.

its also funny that the folks raging against big pharma in their refusal to take the vaccine...are rushing to take medication from...merck!

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed Dec-15-21 03:47 PM

30. "some of the discussion about this pill makes me realize how dumb we are."
In response to Reply # 0

i see unvaccinated folks laughing at vaccinated folks for taking the vaccine when the pill is on the way.

to them the vaccine is inherently more dangerous/risky than a course of pills.

it occurred to me...that these folks believe the pill just runs its course through your body and eventually leaves...but the vaccine just stays in your body for years or forever.

like they think the vaccine sitting around is what is in your body fighting the virus for the rest of your life...and not the antibodies that the vaccine causes your body to create on its own. they dont get that the whole point of the vaccine is for your body to get rid of it as practice for getting rid of the virus.

thats why they think you could be completely healthy after taking the vaccine *now*...but might come up dead 10/20 yrs later.

to them...continuously ingesting a series of a substance that creates an inhospitable environment in your body strong enough to kill off a living organism...is safer than something that merely strengthens your bodys own natural immunity and gets eliminated from your body within days.

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Wed Dec-22-21 01:37 PM

31. "Approved!!"
In response to Reply # 0

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-pfizer-medication-f5f65e7e61d6aa9c7dfa193053e8878a

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. health regulators on Wednesday authorized the first pill against COVID-19, a Pfizer drug that Americans will be able to take at home to head off the worst effects of the virus.

The long-awaited milestone comes as U.S. cases, hospitalizations and deaths are all rising and health officials warn of a tsunami of new infections from the omicron variant that could overwhelm hospitals.

The drug, Paxlovid, is a faster, cheaper way to treat early COVID-19 infections, though initial supplies will be extremely limited. All of the previously authorized drugs against the disease require an IV or an injection.

An antiviral pill from Merck also is expected to soon win authorization. But Pfizer’s drug is all but certain to be the preferred option because of its mild side effects and superior effectiveness, including a nearly 90% reduction in hospitalizations and deaths among patients most likely to get severe disease.

“The efficacy is high, the side effects are low and it’s oral. It checks all the boxes,” said Dr. Gregory Poland of the Mayo Clinic. “You’re looking at a 90% decreased risk of hospitalization and death in a high-risk group — that’s stunning.”

CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC

------------

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Sat Apr-30-22 06:32 PM

32. "Friend tested positive at CVS minute clinic yesterday..."
In response to Reply # 0

It was a PCR test, got the results Friday at 10pm.

Supposedly a nurse practitioner or physician assistant at the CVS minute clinic can prescribe it, but he called the minute clinic and it is closed on Saturday.

Then he called his primary doctor and he's not available. Then he tried to make an appointment online with a physician and can't until get one until tomorrow. Then he called urgent care and they said they can't write the script over the phone.

Now's he's trying to get a video visit with the ER to see if he can get the script.

The clinics and doctors need to make this easier.

CVS has the drug in stock and ready for him if he can get a prescription.

------------

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Sat Apr-30-22 11:06 PM

33. "RE: Friend tested positive at CVS minute clinic yesterday..."
In response to Reply # 32

He was able to get it prescribed, I actually went and picked it up and dropped it off at his house. His girlfriend’s results will come in tomorrow

------------

Mynoriti
Charter member
38799 posts
Sun May-01-22 03:24 PM

34. "did he have heavy symptoms"
In response to Reply # 33

asking because just about everyone i know who's testing positive as of late it is either asymptomatic, or barely symptomatic.

if not it seems like a lot to go through

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Mon May-02-22 09:36 AM

35. "After 2 days he said "Bad flu""
In response to Reply # 34

The hospital needs to do a better job explaining how to get it and making it easier, but he did end up getting it by the end of the day.

For me COVID was AWFUL. 2 weeks of being COMPLETELY and utterly out of it - only pneumonia was worse for me - but pneumonia only lasted a week.

------------

Lobby General Discussion topic #13439076 Previous topic | Next topic