Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13438642

Subject: "Anyone consider moving due to being able to work 100% remotely?" Previous topic | Next topic
Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22285 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 11:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone consider moving due to being able to work 100% remotely?"

I like my city but if I'm able to work 100% remote and choose wherever I want to live, I'm not sure what I'd do.

I do have a few personal limitations on where I'd go. My mom is getting older so I'd probably stay on the eastern side of the country. And I'm not dealing with snow or ice so I probably wouldn't go much further north than Atlanta.

Have you guys had this option present itself to you? Anybody consider it?

This post was inspired by looking through this list. https://www.bestcities.org/rankings/americas-best-cities/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
We can't do it - yet
Jul 30th 2021
my homie lived in BK, worked in Manhattan at a big ad firm.
Jul 30th 2021
sounds great on paper
Jul 30th 2021
had everything set up to move to Hawaii pre covid
Jul 30th 2021
The opposite has been happening a LOT. Moving to a new job because
Jul 30th 2021
RE: The opposite has been happening a LOT. Moving to a new job because
Jul 30th 2021
      Oh they are aware
Jul 30th 2021
           Exactly - the churn at this point is seriously unheard of.
Jul 30th 2021
                These are good points...
Jul 30th 2021
                It's challenging, but on the positive side as a manager there is opportu...
Jul 30th 2021
                that second to last paragraph is becoming me...
Jul 30th 2021
Not move locations, but change companies, for sure…
Jul 30th 2021
This sounds like what my firm is rumored to be doing.
Jul 30th 2021
      Dude, same! We had three months in 2020…
Jul 30th 2021
Did it.
Jul 30th 2021
If I was single
Jul 30th 2021
This part.
Jul 30th 2021
Oooh, I'm thinking of shifting to DR, but being Black there are the obvi...
Aug 02nd 2021
      It was WONDERFUL.
Aug 04th 2021
           'preciate ya!
Aug 10th 2021
           My peoples moved to Sosua with their 3 kids
Aug 17th 2021
                I've heard mixed reviews about Sosua.
Aug 20th 2021
^^^^ livin the dream
Jul 30th 2021
      Nightmares are dreams too.
Aug 02nd 2021
That was one of the selling points of my new job
Jul 30th 2021
I've been remote / wfh for more than a decade
Jul 30th 2021
I actually get to stay put because of remote work and I am grateful.
Jul 30th 2021
yep
Jul 31st 2021
would love to and have asked mulitple times
Aug 02nd 2021
The way real estate prices have just skyrocketed everywhere....i'ma chil...
Aug 04th 2021
bruh.. we thought about moving into a bigger house
Aug 04th 2021
Mannn
Aug 06th 2021
No, but strongly considering becoming a snowbird
Aug 06th 2021
As a 15 year resident of Florida, let me say that we hate y'all...
Aug 06th 2021
Yeah, 50K to 120K in a college town makes
Aug 11th 2021
That's the move.
Aug 17th 2021
Too bad college towns are shitty places
Aug 17th 2021
      you don't have to live like...right on campus
Aug 17th 2021
Our Experience
Aug 17th 2021
Absolutely
Aug 21st 2021
Why the change?
Aug 22nd 2021

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 11:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "We can't do it - yet"
In response to Reply # 0

> Have you guys had this option present itself to you? Anybody
>consider it?
Several people want to do it in my group but we can't yet.

I work for a hospital system and we provide healthcare to employees - so if they aren't in our geographic area they would not be able to access the care. I'm sure that's the hold-up.

They also said salaries may be adjusted down if you move to a much cheaper are of the country - not sure how that's going to work either.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

PROMO
Charter member
30947 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 11:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "my homie lived in BK, worked in Manhattan at a big ad firm."
In response to Reply # 0

moved back home to WA state last year. still has the same job.

we're trying to buy a house and none is affordable where we are now, which about 15 mins away from our jobs. might move an hour away from work and skip the commute by going 100 percent remote even thought i HATE remote work.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79545 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 12:04 PM

3. "sounds great on paper"
In response to Reply # 0

but I wonder how many people made this move and realized it was a mistake?

unless you are a homebody or moving where you always dreamed it could easily be a “wtf was I thinking?”

will be interesting to hear the stories of love and regret with all this moving around and pandemic panic buying.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 12:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "had everything set up to move to Hawaii pre covid"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been working from home for 10 years
my wife's job had a position open on the Big Island
Covid hit and that job was postponed indefinitely

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 12:21 PM

5. "The opposite has been happening a LOT. Moving to a new job because"
In response to Reply # 0

companies are hiring remote staff and recruiting nation-wide instead of locally. I've lost four employees out of a team of 30 that I manage over the last couple months because they were recruited away by startups in California who were offering 30-50k more in salary than what my company pays (I'm in Michigan.)

jimaveli
Charter member
6605 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 02:38 PM

9. "RE: The opposite has been happening a LOT. Moving to a new job because"
In response to Reply # 5

>companies are hiring remote staff and recruiting nation-wide
>instead of locally. I've lost four employees out of a team of
>30 that I manage over the last couple months because they were
>recruited away by startups in California who were offering
>30-50k more in salary than what my company pays (I'm in
>Michigan.)

You're hitting on something that I don't think companies are ready to deal with.

This is especially the case with industries with more old school management who think remote work is evil cuz they can't walk by a desk and give someone a 'what chu doin right now, ho?' look. If/when people start having more access to different gigs that aren't in the city where they live, it could be bigtime comp for talent.

But it just depends on how many companies are really down with it and how far it goes up and down the chains of command.

I'm in the south with oil and gas and they've started to open things up a little. But they generally still want to see someone in person at least occasionally. Once a month or something. We'll see!

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52627 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 03:00 PM

13. "Oh they are aware"
In response to Reply # 9

There's a major churn in the tech industry right now as everyone is trying to figure out how to attract or retain top tier talent. A cushy office with amenities isn't as valuable as it used to be so they are pivoting to flexible work options.

My mandate is to basically let my employees work from wherever they want (within reason).

---
Love,
Nopayne

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 03:51 PM

16. "Exactly - the churn at this point is seriously unheard of. "
In response to Reply # 13

Even with companies allowing complete flexibility to work remotely, we are all losing employees left and right.

It's a combination of a ton of factors at once. There is pent up attrition because all last year everyone was scared to quit based on uncertainty in the job market. That uncertainty is gone now and people are willing to shoot their shot.

The uncertainty is gone because the job market is NUTS. I have recruiters hitting my LinkedIn on a daily basis. Folks are putting salaries right in initial communications. There's a ton of startups who have capital to spend on experienced talent, and companies all over the country are hiring nationwide instead of just their backyards because they know that remote work is just as efficient (and big picture, even more cost-effective).

Then at big companies like mine, as there is more churn it starts to erode loyalty - the people who were happy and never looked for other jobs are seeing their peers leave and get more $$$, and feel less connected to the company (on top of the fact that being remote can make you feel less connected.)

In addition to that, the pandemic had all kinds of people evaluating their lives, their careers, hopes, dreams, etc. There were a ton of people who were in a rut as worker bees, just getting their work done, who are coming into realization that they want more - and are willing to take risks. Or in some cases they are realizing that time with the family is more important, and they are scaling back career ambitions. In some cases they are leaving to start their own businesses - which they maybe started as a side hustle but now are going all in.

Marbles
22285 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 03:55 PM

17. "These are good points..."
In response to Reply # 16

I have to admit that I haven't looked at this from the management point of view. There are some real difficulties for them with all the upheaval.

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 04:01 PM

18. "It's challenging, but on the positive side as a manager there is opportu..."
In response to Reply # 17

First, our talent pool opened up to the entire country, so we are right there recruiting from competitors and other industries. We have an issue of losing institutional knowledge as people leave, but we are also getting fresh blood in, and evaluating bottlenecks where there was failure of one from a perspective of succession planning.

Dstl1
Charter member
56224 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 04:26 PM

20. "that second to last paragraph is becoming me..."
In response to Reply # 16

Like I said, we crushed it in 2020, all from home. They kinda pulled a little okey-doke on us, too. The company announced Flexible Work Arrangements. They said 2 days a week in the office. My department, individually, put out 3 days a week AND for things like team meetings, special events, etc....with no explanation as to why it was different from the rest company. A lot of folks lives changed permanently, during this time. I know mines did. Then, I'm looking on Indeed and jobs are offering SCRATCH, for fully remote folks. Jobs I know I'm mega-qualified for.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Dstl1
Charter member
56224 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 12:39 PM

6. "Not move locations, but change companies, for sure…"
In response to Reply # 0

my job announced in June, that after WFH for 15 months…starting in August, we would have to come into the office 3 days per week. They call it Flexible Work Arrangement…I call it bullshit. A lot of people were pissed about it. I updated my Indeed profile and started looking. I’ve been here almost 7 years, but I would bounce for the right, remote position. Word is, right now, the August return isn’t looking too good. They’re having trouble with equipment and space with folks having a home and work setup and how they want to space everyone out. I’ve been getting wild amounts of emails from my Indeed jawn, too.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Marbles
22285 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 01:53 PM

8. "This sounds like what my firm is rumored to be doing."
In response to Reply # 6

It's funny because in the early days of the pandemic in 2020, the firm panicked (understandably). Rumors were flying about layoffs and big cuts. However, they were able to get things under control. We ended up blowing our 2020 goals & projections wayyyyy out of the water.

So folks started arguing that 2020 showed that we don't need to be in the office for us to do our jobs well. But I think they're going to put their foot down with the 3 days in the flexible work deal.

Dstl1
Charter member
56224 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 02:40 PM

10. "Dude, same! We had three months in 2020…"
In response to Reply # 8

April, May and June…that were the best April, May, June in the company’s history. We rocked shit from home…and they still on that shit. St. Louis County, where my office is, announced the indoor mask mandate as of this past Monday. They sent out en email today, saying despite the increase in infections both here and in Florida (headquarters) and in OUR OWN COMPANY…they plan to continue with the plan for returning to office.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 01:05 PM

7. "Did it."
In response to Reply # 0

I can and am 100% remote. Moved from the West coast to the Caribbean (PR) I LOVE IT! Currently, I am sitting out Hurricane season back at my home base, but I am going back and I LOVE it.

Even in PR, which is PRETTY close to US standards of COL (Cost of living), if not in salary requirements. Mainland $ goes a good deal longer. So, if you can WHY not?

There are MANY places that are courting American's / Western Europeans to come spend that Armitage variance. Of the one's I know are

Bahamas
Puerto Rico
Dominican Republic

of the ones I suspect are

Mexico - particularly Tulum, probably Mazatlan
Thailand
Vietnam
The Philippines (Culturally tho... that may be a no go)

IDK shit about eastern Europe, but I got a FEELING there are PLENTY of places there that want that DOLLAR. Also, look at southern Italy, and Greece, in general.

Good luck, y'all.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

legsdiamond
79545 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 02:59 PM

12. "If I was single"
In response to Reply # 7

I would definitely do that shit.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12147 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 03:46 PM

15. "This part."
In response to Reply # 7
Fri Jul-30-21 03:52 PM by soulpsychodelicyde

I spent 3 months in DR during the pandemic, 2 weeks in PR last month, and am headed to Mexico City in a month or 2 to decide on my forever home.

Mexico City is likely to win out but DR is a super strong #2.

I'm out. Y'all can have this country.

ALSO... Portugal apparently has a growing Black expat community and both my accountant and a dear friend are looking to move there. It ain't my ministry for the long-term, but I thought it was interesting.

spades
44257 posts
Mon Aug-02-21 12:31 PM

23. "Oooh, I'm thinking of shifting to DR, but being Black there are the obvi..."
In response to Reply # 15

Tell me everything about your months there.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

soulpsychodelicyde
12147 posts
Wed Aug-04-21 05:57 AM

26. "It was WONDERFUL."
In response to Reply # 23

I didn't stay in a tourist-y area (e.g., Punta Cana). Rather, I stayed in the Samana province in the northeastern part of the island. Two of those months I was in the actual town of Samana, and one month I stayed in the town of Las Terrenas about 30 minutes away.

I fell wholesale in love with Las Terrenas. It's a quaint town with nothing but beautiful beaches and a lot of Europeans, for whatever that's worth. The French starting coming -- and then settling -- back in the 70s such that the 2nd language is actually French. Large Euro expat community and Canadians. I just recently heard that June saw a huge infux of American tourists... so.. it's about to be ruined. LOL.

Unlike Samana which is pretty sleepy, there is a strong food scene and lots to do, and fun to be had (e.g., DJs on the beach on Sundays, bars, clubs, etc. if that appeals).

My only *rub* with the town... well there are 2... 1. It's far from 'civilization' as it were. It's 2 hours to Santo Domingo so you're pretty far from a real airport which, for me, undermined the idea that DR is easy to get out of and go back and forth to from NY. There is a regional airport about 20 minutes away that I've heard is back open now, but was closed when I was there back in March. The other piece -- which can be solved for relatively easily, I suppose -- is infrastructure. The wifi situation can be wonky and unpredictable. That caused some agita as I was working on big presentations and deadlines, etc., while there, and power outages are a common occurrence. I suppose this isn't much different from most islands but was definitely an annoyance.

That said, I had an AMAZING time and really can't wait to go back... probably in October before I hit Mexico City in November.

Feel free to hit the inbox for more info... happy to share all that I know.

spades
44257 posts
Tue Aug-10-21 12:43 PM

32. "'preciate ya!"
In response to Reply # 26

The town you described sounds like my dream. I will def hit you up for some tips, thank you so much. If there is anything I can help you out w/please speak up.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Tue Aug-17-21 04:56 PM

37. "My peoples moved to Sosua with their 3 kids "
In response to Reply # 26

And rave about it. Just a much easier life. Surfing, Horseback lessons. End the day at the beach -- less stress... I wish I could convince my wife but she can't disconnect from the capitalist ratrace yet

>I didn't stay in a tourist-y area (e.g., Punta Cana). Rather,
>I stayed in the Samana province in the northeastern part of
>the island. Two of those months I was in the actual town of
>Samana, and one month I stayed in the town of Las Terrenas
>about 30 minutes away.
>
>I fell wholesale in love with Las Terrenas. It's a quaint town
>with nothing but beautiful beaches and a lot of Europeans, for
>whatever that's worth. The French starting coming -- and then
>settling -- back in the 70s such that the 2nd language is
>actually French. Large Euro expat community and Canadians. I
>just recently heard that June saw a huge infux of American
>tourists... so.. it's about to be ruined. LOL.
>
>Unlike Samana which is pretty sleepy, there is a strong food
>scene and lots to do, and fun to be had (e.g., DJs on the
>beach on Sundays, bars, clubs, etc. if that appeals).
>
>My only *rub* with the town... well there are 2... 1. It's far
>from 'civilization' as it were. It's 2 hours to Santo Domingo
>so you're pretty far from a real airport which, for me,
>undermined the idea that DR is easy to get out of and go back
>and forth to from NY. There is a regional airport about 20
>minutes away that I've heard is back open now, but was closed
>when I was there back in March. The other piece -- which can
>be solved for relatively easily, I suppose -- is
>infrastructure. The wifi situation can be wonky and
>unpredictable. That caused some agita as I was working on big
>presentations and deadlines, etc., while there, and power
>outages are a common occurrence. I suppose this isn't much
>different from most islands but was definitely an annoyance.
>
>That said, I had an AMAZING time and really can't wait to go
>back... probably in October before I hit Mexico City in
>November.
>
>Feel free to hit the inbox for more info... happy to share all
>that I know.
>
>

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

soulpsychodelicyde
12147 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 01:10 PM

39. "I've heard mixed reviews about Sosua."
In response to Reply # 37

Specifically, that while beautiful, it's perhaps best known for the sex work industry. I'm considering Caberete (which is basically next door) for my bday in October.

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10135 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 04:06 PM

19. "^^^^ livin the dream"
In response to Reply # 7

spades
44257 posts
Mon Aug-02-21 12:39 PM

24. "Nightmares are dreams too."
In response to Reply # 19

Some drawbacks.

VERY limited fresh produce and beef on the island.
Island time... ugh... I spent 2 months just trying to get my power on.

EVERY thing is SO damned stupid expensive, a lot of that for no damned reason other than the Jones act.

Spanish: Caribbean Spanish is not Mexican Spanish, even though I am at least Conversational in Mexican Spanish, The Puerto Rican dialect still gives me trouble.

Highspeed Internet: Especially if you are going to be working remotely this is important. Power, and Internet are WILDLY inconsistent on the island. Locking down a good Internet provider, Power is still shitty no matter where you go, is key.

Good luck, y'all.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85054 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 02:52 PM

11. "That was one of the selling points of my new job "
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Rjcc
Charter member
94958 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 03:23 PM

14. "I've been remote / wfh for more than a decade"
In response to Reply # 0

but I didn't move far, still wanted to be in driving distance of the family, and liked the city where I lived

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 06:11 PM

21. "I actually get to stay put because of remote work and I am grateful."
In response to Reply # 0

I just accepted a new position in a different state.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Sat Jul-31-21 10:30 AM

22. "yep"
In response to Reply # 0

in savannah right now, going to check out seattle next, then onto
canada

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8049 posts
Mon Aug-02-21 01:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
25. "would love to and have asked mulitple times"
In response to Reply # 0

but management refuses to even engage with me on this point. whenever i ask they say, "the last thing we heard from corporate is that we're coming back into the office eventually." not even, "no and stop asking," or "we looked into it and the company policies don't account for a move like this." just a dismissive hand wave. really frustrating. idk what the difference is between me working 15 miles from the office or 2000 miles away when i'm not coming in

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Wed Aug-04-21 07:23 AM

27. "The way real estate prices have just skyrocketed everywhere....i'ma chil..."
In response to Reply # 0

Once upon a time the prospect of taking our equity and buying a house outright in cash back home in NC was a legit and feasible option.....but now??? Pssshhhht.....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

legsdiamond
79545 posts
Wed Aug-04-21 07:31 AM

28. "bruh.. we thought about moving into a bigger house"
In response to Reply # 27

but in the same area/school district.

After looking at prices I really don’t see the point in paying another $200K for an extra bedroom and bathroom. We could add 1,000 sq ft onto this house for much cheaper.

Everyone found out about NC and now these prices are dumb high. Seems like NC is the new Florida.

spades
44257 posts
Fri Aug-06-21 10:10 AM

29. "Mannn"
In response to Reply # 27

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13563 posts
Fri Aug-06-21 10:22 AM

30. "No, but strongly considering becoming a snowbird"
In response to Reply # 0

Snowbird = Northerner that heads south to their winter homes when it gets cold.

If I could WFH even part-time going into the future, it would be nice to have a warmer non-urban environment to live in sometimes.

Was thinking about NC, since my sister lives down there. I just want a small house with a fair amount of land in an area where people ain't gonna be breaking into my house when I'm back up Philly.

Marbles
22285 posts
Fri Aug-06-21 10:33 AM

31. "As a 15 year resident of Florida, let me say that we hate y'all..."
In response to Reply # 30

Snowbirds just take up space, crowd all the restaurants and add to traffic.

Seriously though, my girl has talked about us doing the same thing if we were 100% remote. Go north in the summer and come back to Florida for the winter.

That sounds great as far as the weather is concerned. The problem is what city in the north would we select. I'm sure that she would wanna go back to Ohio. I really don't have much of a desire for that.

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28841 posts
Wed Aug-11-21 06:57 PM

33. "Yeah, 50K to 120K in a college town makes "
In response to Reply # 0

You damn near rich if you reign in expenses. Only problem could be police if you pick the wrong place.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

spades
44257 posts
Tue Aug-17-21 03:14 PM

34. "That's the move."
In response to Reply # 33

I'm seriously thinking of making the jump to Tulum or DR, because the COL is cheaper than it is in PR

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

legsdiamond
79545 posts
Tue Aug-17-21 03:47 PM

35. "Too bad college towns are shitty places"
In response to Reply # 33

I’m sure there are some nice ones but I keep thinking back to college and all the drunk frat assholes and girls throwing up while walking home.

It can be a fun and scary place for an actual adult.

Rjcc
Charter member
94958 posts
Tue Aug-17-21 06:14 PM

38. "you don't have to live like...right on campus"
In response to Reply # 35

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

select_from_where
Member since Jan 03rd 2011
4342 posts
Tue Aug-17-21 04:48 PM

36. "Our Experience "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-17-21 04:49 PM by select_from_where

Why - low taxes and remote work, also low cost of living. Wife has a lot of family in the area.

Pro's - as noted, the prices are dirt cheap, we live very comfortably and have grown our assets tremendously.

We live in east TN, beautiful foliage in the fall and the Smokey mountains are awesome.

we live about three hours from Atlanta, so if we want to see something familiar we just visit for the weekend.

No commute, plenty of time with family.

Slow pace of life, which is cool if that's your thing.

Cons - In our experience, racism has definitely been visible, very slight things that catch you by surprise.

Black folks in small country towns are very much an enclave. We have been here three years and unless you grew up in this area, the community finds it very hard to accept transplants

The conservative nature of the south really starts to hinder things, such as establishments closing early on Saturdays, the conservative mindset, which makes it hard to make friends.

Finally, IMHO, southern folks talk you to death, even when you are late and suggest so, they will stop you and talk you about any and everything, 30 minute convo every time.

Lil Roof
Member since Feb 14th 2003
3441 posts
Sat Aug-21-21 05:32 AM

40. "Absolutely "
In response to Reply # 0

Yes I'm currently scoping out Houston coming from the a

We are living at the end of the world so I think if people have the spirit to move I would say harken

spades
44257 posts
Sun Aug-22-21 10:33 AM

41. "Why the change?"
In response to Reply # 40

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

Lobby General Discussion topic #13438642 Previous topic | Next topic