Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13438444

Subject: "Do you identify yourself on the phone at work when making calls?" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 09:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Do you identify yourself on the phone at work when making calls?"

Is it just me or is it super annoying and unprofessional when people call asking questions, asking for assistance, asking peoples' whereabouts, and you have to say "may I ask who's calling?" or "can I get your name please?" I work for a medium-sized organization and some people's sense of self-importance leads them to believe that "everyone knows their voice" and others are just rude imo. And I'm talking mainly inter-organization employees, but I know sometimes random salespeople will get names of people in the organization and cold-call and just say "is John in?" and when you ask them to identify themselves they usually get in a huff lol. Is it really that hard to say "hello, this is Mary from widgets..." then ask your question?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yep. A lot of people here don't and it's annoying as hell
Jul 29th 2021
lmao...
Jul 29th 2021
I hate when people answer the phone and their music is loud as fuck
Jul 29th 2021
Yes.. it's rude, lazy and unprofessional not to..
Jul 29th 2021
If I am calling you, yes. If you calling me no
Jul 30th 2021
Are y'all doing internal calls at work without caller ID in place?
Jul 30th 2021
I was about to ask if names pop up on the phones
Jul 30th 2021
      Yeah - and my follow up is who is doing cold calls within a company
Jul 30th 2021
Inbound: "This is Spades"
Jul 30th 2021
Have to
Jul 30th 2021

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 10:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yep. A lot of people here don't and it's annoying as hell"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll call a supervisor queue, and it seems like there's a 40% chance that one of them will say "Yeah?" or, if I'm lucky, an actual "Hello".

Whether I'm taking the call or making it, I always identify myself from jump.

What's worse is we got people here who will be eating while on the phone. Like yo... is that you? or are you feeding a fucking horse right now? Because that's what you sound like.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 10:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "lmao..."
In response to Reply # 1

>What's worse is we got people here who will be eating while on
>the phone. Like yo... is that you? or are you feeding a
>fucking horse right now? Because that's what you sound like.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79574 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 11:27 AM

3. "I hate when people answer the phone and their music is loud as fuck"
In response to Reply # 0

“HELLO, I CANT HEAR YOU, LET ME TURN DOWN THE MUSIC”

why not turn down the music before picking up the phone?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 02:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Yes.. it's rude, lazy and unprofessional not to.."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jul-29-21 02:22 PM by My_SP1200_Broken_Aga

...you're not calling your friend, or family member ..identify yourself

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 09:22 AM

5. "If I am calling you, yes. If you calling me no"
In response to Reply # 0

Like some people in my org answer the phone Hello this is ______

Too much for me I'll just say hello and assume you know who you calling

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 11:08 AM

6. "Are y'all doing internal calls at work without caller ID in place?"
In response to Reply # 0

My company has gone completely to MS Teams at this point, so any call that comes through also has that person's name and picture as the call pops up. For me I never call someone without chatting first, but even when someone does just call their name and pic is there. If you want more detail there's a button to see where they are in the organization - who they report to, their peers, close contacts, etc.

Even back before the pandemic when we were in office on Cisco phones, we had an app that would pop up with that person's name and pic when they would call.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79574 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 11:09 AM

7. "I was about to ask if names pop up on the phones "
In response to Reply # 6

I work for a small company so its easy to see who is calling.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 02:04 PM

10. "Yeah - and my follow up is who is doing cold calls within a company"
In response to Reply # 7

to people who don't know who you are or what you do, without chatting or emailing first?

I work for a large, global corporation. Around 80% of my work though is with a small independent department of around 100 people, and we all know each other well. That other 20% of the time is with people in other departments, but even most of that would be people I know - managers/directors form other departments we collaborate with.

The only times I get random communications from someone I don't know would be maybe a newer person in an outside department who doesn't know the right person to call, or maybe someone high up who has a question about my team/department. And in both of those cases, they ALWAYS are chatting me on Teams or emailing first, which is where introductions will happen (and also where you can see what someone does in the org chart well before they are on the phone with you.) I really don't get the idea of cold calling (or receiving cold calls from) people at my company when we don't know each other prior to the call without a chat/email introduction.

If we're talking about external calls, reaching out to customers or vendors, then yes absolutely a call will begin with some type of introduction. Typically that will happen with a gatekeeper before I'm even getting to the person I need anyways. And even in this case, there would typically be some type of email communication first.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 11:35 AM

8. "Inbound: "This is Spades""
In response to Reply # 0

Outbound: " Hi, this is Spades. I'm the *** at XYZ. I'm calling because...."

It's just one less question for them to ask me.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 01:09 PM

9. "Have to"
In response to Reply # 0

Outbound: I say my name and my department if I'm calling internally, my name and my company if I'm calling externally.

Inbound: Always my name and department.

Only exception is callerID shows it's someone I know personally.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Lobby General Discussion topic #13438444 Previous topic | Next topic