Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13438324

Subject: "I miss college! " Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Wed Jul-28-21 11:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I miss college! "

That shit was fun as hell. Just stepping onto campus, not knowing anyone and meeting people from all walks of life..

anytime a show has a “back in college” episode I love it!!!

that is all.

what y’all miss?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I miss college too.
Jul 28th 2021
I miss being 21 at college
Jul 28th 2021
I had no idea what Freaknik was in 1992
Jul 28th 2021
      RE: I had no idea what Freaknik was in 1992
Jul 28th 2021
Being able to just walk by people's rooms to say what's up
Jul 28th 2021
I miss the 70's (or my childhood)
Jul 28th 2021
RE: I miss college!
Jul 28th 2021
I partied hard in college
Jul 29th 2021
      RE: I partied hard in college
Jul 29th 2021
i miss college and prob the first 2-3 years after
Jul 28th 2021
im surprised i dont have any kids from them 1st few post-college years.
Jul 28th 2021
I slightly regret not having a more enjoyable experience.
Jul 28th 2021
I Miss My Homies From College
Jul 29th 2021
I missed college until about 10 years ago.
Jul 29th 2021
lmao.. this story sounds like my college friends
Jul 29th 2021
      Not making that transition is rough.
Jul 29th 2021
           I went to SXSW one year with the crew
Jul 29th 2021
           Went to a college friend’s wedding about 5 years ago
Jul 29th 2021
                This is wild to me. My college crew still parties hard when the time is ...
Jul 29th 2021
Man, those were the days...
Jul 29th 2021

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Wed Jul-28-21 01:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I miss college too."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-28-21 01:06 PM by Brew

>what y’all miss?

All of what you described above, for sure.

Also just the general feeling of freedom, youth, curiosity, hope about the future. Everything. I have such fond, vivid memories of my first few months on campus, in my dorm, meeting people, exploring campus, exploring my freedom, finding out who I really was, etc.

And then the parties and the drugs and chasing girls and shit, of course lol.

All of it was very fun. I'm fortunate that my experience was so positive; I know not everybody looks back on their college years so fondly for a variety of possible reasons.

My pops once asked me what I'd do if I won the lottery and without hesitation my answer was "go back to college" haha.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Wed Jul-28-21 01:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I miss being 21 at college"
In response to Reply # 0

That was the most fun year of my life. By that point I’d gotten comfortable, knew the ropes, had a lot of friends there, could go to the bars without a worry, and had knocked out a lot of the harder courses and had more control over my schedule. Sleep in, go to class, eat, play video games in the dorm, eat again, go hoop, drink in the dorms, then go to the bars. Now that’s a day, lol.

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Wed Jul-28-21 01:59 PM

3. "I had no idea what Freaknik was in 1992"
In response to Reply # 2

and my mom had no idea I was in ATL that weekend

One time my mom called me at 6AM and cursed me out. She actually walked down to the pay phone with a roll of quarters so she could track me down since I hadn’t called home for months.

and the best part is my mom went back to college after I left and the house was empty. She was able to finally have the college experience at 50… and then she went to U of Chicago for grad school and told me about some fascinating man named Barack Obama who had these packed lectures.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

DJR
18637 posts
Wed Jul-28-21 07:22 PM

8. "RE: I had no idea what Freaknik was in 1992"
In response to Reply # 3

>and the best part is my mom went back to college after I left
>and the house was empty. She was able to finally have the
>college experience at 50… and then she went to U of Chicago
>for grad school and told me about some fascinating man named
>Barack Obama who had these packed lectures.

That’s all amazing stuff. College at 50 - that’s inspiring.

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Wed Jul-28-21 02:38 PM

4. "Being able to just walk by people's rooms to say what's up"
In response to Reply # 0

Used to be able to just randomly roam the halls of the dorm and just chill with people at random times all day.

Now so much of my social life has to be scheduled because everybody is busy with other things (and so am I).

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Wed Jul-28-21 03:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I miss the 70's (or my childhood)"
In response to Reply # 0

everything since then has been just okay.

Nothing special - including college.

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Wed Jul-28-21 04:49 PM

6. "RE: I miss college! "
In response to Reply # 0

>That shit was fun as hell. Just stepping onto campus, not
>knowing anyone and meeting people from all walks of life..
>
>anytime a show has a “back in college” episode I love
>it!!!
>
>that is all.
>
>what y’all miss?

It took me a while to get my feet on the ground in college. Like 1.5 years or so, but I had a great assigned roommate who is still my peoples TILL THIS DAY. And eventually, I got it all figured out.

I miss the ridiculous amount of free time I had compared to now. 15 hours of class. 20-ish hours of work. Nowhere near another 20 hours of 'studying'. The rest? Straight up aggressive chilling. Hooters. Buffets (with an S). Then, to the gym to try to work it off. VIDEO MOTHERFUCKING GAMES. Watching wrestling and clowning with my newfound crew of college homeboys. Eating Louisiana Popeyes > Houston Popeyes back then too. Jerry Springer. Watching music videoooooooos. Being up hella late all the time. Having a couple of 'them tapes' to pass the time. Midnight sales on video games and new albums. I had a CD store right by my apartment. Aquemini. Stankonia. JayZ albums. All of that.

I didn't party nearly enough in college. I regret that. But I still had a blast. And I had a pretty rock-solid post-college bro phase where I drank a bunch, went out all the time, and got a chance to 'do some thangs' before I got tied up, loved up, and married.

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 09:24 AM

14. "I partied hard in college"
In response to Reply # 6

so hard I have the student loans to prove it.

After I took some time off and got serious I still partied hard. This time we threw the parties though and made decent money most times.

We brought all types or shows to the VA and DC area.

We had a ball.

One time I was sitting in an Italian restaurant in Richmond with Dan the Automator and the owner brought out one of everything on the menu while Dan told us about a band he was working with that was all cartoons. I was like “that sounds like a terrible idea Dan”

my college years weren’t normal.

only thing I regret is not traveling out the country while young and free

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 10:13 AM

16. "RE: I partied hard in college"
In response to Reply # 14

>so hard I have the student loans to prove it.
>
>After I took some time off and got serious I still partied
>hard. This time we threw the parties though and made decent
>money most times.
>
>We brought all types or shows to the VA and DC area.
>
>We had a ball.
>
>One time I was sitting in an Italian restaurant in Richmond
>with Dan the Automator and the owner brought out one of
>everything on the menu while Dan told us about a band he was
>working with that was all cartoons. I was like “that sounds
>like a terrible idea Dan”
>
>my college years weren’t normal.
>
>only thing I regret is not traveling out the country while
>young and free
>
>

Wow! That sounds excellent. Me and a few homies were on some FINNA shit with throwing parties. Cats didn’t want to sack up and put the money down to try it. And, in their defense, I never learned real rules to DJ’ing so I could be the DJ instead of us having to pay someone. I still lowkey want to do this before I die.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Wed Jul-28-21 05:24 PM

7. "i miss college and prob the first 2-3 years after"
In response to Reply # 0

we had a really fun, productive group of recent grads at my job those first couple years. worked hard and partied harder. trips w/ the work friends were always a good time
it was almost like college pt 2 except we were getting paid.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed Jul-28-21 08:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "im surprised i dont have any kids from them 1st few post-college years."
In response to Reply # 7

a nigga was putting that new cali king to work.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Wed Jul-28-21 08:09 PM

9. "I slightly regret not having a more enjoyable experience."
In response to Reply # 0

I had exactly one fun night that I can remember.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 12:40 AM

11. "I Miss My Homies From College"
In response to Reply # 0

A few we kept in touch way after we all dropped out (two of them finished & graduated) but by the 2000's they're M.I.A.

The experience of being in college was cool but being broke & in a small ass town wasn't so cool; sometimes I wish I went to school in my hometown instead cause I would've graduated with the degrees I wanted to study in, instead I met some of the coolest people ever, glad I got a lot of all the music we recorded on cassette still.

Did I tell you all I went to college with Chaundon (he use to rap under the name Finn-Tastic) for a semester before he transferred to NC State, lol.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 09:02 AM

12. "I missed college until about 10 years ago. "
In response to Reply # 0

In fact I constantly use to have dreams where I was back in college all the time.

I recently went to a wedding with some of my best college friends and I was bugged out how so much has not changed for them. Still single, lots of weed and drinking and the night ended with us in a fist fight. The experience reminded me that college wasn't all fun.

It was either that experience or my kids getting a bit older which got my to stop fantasizing about college. In general thout its kind of hard for me to remember a pre-kid time of my life. All a blur.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 09:15 AM

13. "lmao.. this story sounds like my college friends"
In response to Reply # 12

about 10 years after college my best friend finally made it in the industry. We all had dreams of being in the music industry but most of us went back to reality.

We all linked up in NYC and went to a studio session at an artist crib.

The artist had beats, they were wack af.

Now everyone in the room is being professional and massaging her ego but one dude is drunk and gives his harsh opinion.

We were minutes away from scrapping outside her condo. That is when we realized some friends didn’t make the transition smoothly and still had jealousy and envy.

and yes, there was too much weed and too much liquor.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 10:05 AM

15. "Not making that transition is rough. "
In response to Reply # 13

Shit you use to do 20 years ago that made you the most fun person to hang out with becomes a liability when you older.

My man wanted to get drunk and wrestle like we use to do back in the day. I was like Fam I'm 40+ and I might break a hip.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 11:16 AM

18. "I went to SXSW one year with the crew"
In response to Reply # 15

1) we were too old for that shit

2) I drank and smoked so much I had chills and sweats on the flight home

now I drink light beer and my boy stopped drinking completely.

DJR
18637 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 11:56 AM

19. "Went to a college friend’s wedding about 5 years ago"
In response to Reply # 15
Thu Jul-29-21 11:57 AM by DJR

Some of our college friends were yelling shit and interrupting during the best man’s speech, throwing pieces of food at each other and shit, roasting each other with the same things they’d say when they were 20. I was embarrassed by association. Realized that night it was long over and I really don’t even like these guys anymore, lol.

And I’m as down to earth as it gets, but shit. We’re 35(at the time), not 20

Also, that drunken wrestling sounds awful at any age to me, lol. I was always a “don’t grab me” guy even when drunk. Can’t stand that nonsense.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 12:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "This is wild to me. My college crew still parties hard when the time is ..."
In response to Reply # 19

But we are never that wild or disrespectful. We've all collectively matured appropriately. But when it's time to party, we still do it right. But maturely. If that makes sense lol.

Like people at our weddings notice that we are the "rowdy" bunch but they get a kick out of it, it's never out of line or anything that would ruin somebody's time or somebody's wedding.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Thu Jul-29-21 10:42 AM

17. "Man, those were the days..."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know if I miss it. But I definitely recognize that those were some of the best & most important years of my life (college & law school).

My undergrad school was consistently on Playboy's top party school list and it was well deserved. We were in a small college town with nothing to do but throw parties & hit the strip of bars. There was always a new bunch of people (especially girls) to meet. The social atmosphere was always hyped, so that more than made up for being way out deep in the sticks.

My cats from undergrad don't talk much but when we do get together, it's still all good. My law school class is still mad tight and we get together at least once a year.

I went hard in my 20s (and paid for it). In my 30s, I could still kick it tough (I don't have kids) but I was way smarter about things than in my 20s. It wasn't until my 40s that my body started breaking down & falling apart.

But college was great. Like someone else said, I know that everyone didn't have the same experience for whatever reasons. And I feel very lucky that I had a blast.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13438324 Previous topic | Next topic