Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13437716

Subject: "** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **" Previous topic | Next topic
Geah
Member since Feb 16th 2007
48407 posts
Tue Jul-20-21 11:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **"

Zzz

@geahuwine

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
finally have to go pick up these kids this weekend
Jul 21st 2021
Was fun while it lasted
Jul 22nd 2021
I feel like Ellen was the target of a smear campaign.
Jul 21st 2021
Counterpoint
Jul 21st 2021
What if she were a serial killer?
Jul 21st 2021
      I think the internet gives power to the powerless
Jul 21st 2021
           100% the internet gives power to the powerless.
Jul 21st 2021
                In all the examples I gave a white person came forward
Jul 21st 2021
I've been listening to the Sopranos podcast
Jul 21st 2021
People really think comedians are nice people
Jul 21st 2021
      exactly.....plus, I don't really trust white women off GP anyway....
Jul 21st 2021
      lotta comedians are pretty open about being messed up
Jul 22nd 2021
she's white rich and powerful. she's fine
Jul 21st 2021
Chappelle had a joke about not wanting to be photographed with OJ
Jul 21st 2021
      I got thoughts... about both positions
Jul 22nd 2021
           I don't think they were either
Jul 22nd 2021
agreed. nm
Jul 21st 2021
jyeah.
Jul 21st 2021
Jyeah 2
Jul 21st 2021
I am off the job market
Jul 22nd 2021
on to bigger and better?
Jul 22nd 2021
      Man look
Jul 22nd 2021
           This is good to here. Congratulations and good luck. AND it sounds like
Jul 22nd 2021

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 10:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "finally have to go pick up these kids this weekend"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-21-21 10:14 AM by legsdiamond

party is over.

Cant wait, I miss them.

My lil cousin asked for a logo. texted me 3 days later asking if it was done yet.

this guy.. smh.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Thu Jul-22-21 09:03 AM

17. "Was fun while it lasted"
In response to Reply # 1

My MIL just got a house about 15 minutes up the street.

She about to learn about the drop off, asked for more than she bargained for.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49411 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 10:32 AM

2. "I feel like Ellen was the target of a smear campaign. "
In response to Reply # 0

It was just weird how all of sudden Twitter decided it hated Ellen but there was very little of anyone going on record with real incidents of being terribly treated by her. If it turned out that her network was behind it to put themselves in better position for contract renegotiations, I wouldn't be surprised.

I feel like the Chris Pratt hate was unearned too.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

MEAT
22257 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 11:00 AM

3. "Counterpoint "
In response to Reply # 2

What if most of their victims were marginalized people. Whom the repercussions for tying a name to their complaints are never being able to work in the industry again.

------

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49411 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 11:01 AM

4. "What if she were a serial killer?"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed Jul-21-21 11:04 AM by Buddy_Gilapagos

We can what if for days but you shouldn't be able to take people down for what ifs.

I would want to hear first hand accounts. The internet makes it to easy to ruin peoples names off rumor for fun to rely on anything else.

I mean the case against Chris Pratt isn't even that he treats people poorly but mainly seem to be he is too christiany?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

MEAT
22257 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 11:19 AM

5. "I think the internet gives power to the powerless"
In response to Reply # 4

And that our traditional power structures work to stifle that
Think the people needing to pee in bottles at the Amazon factories and/or trucks
Think the coal miner strike for the last seven months in Alabama
Countless police videos

There’s zero reason to trust the people in power and often times the reality has proven to be worse than the rumors
Louis CK
The Trump Whitehouse
Chris D’elia

------

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49411 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 11:33 AM

7. "100% the internet gives power to the powerless. "
In response to Reply # 5

Which can be a great thing. But anybody can abuse power. AND the internet gives the ability for the powerful to masquerade as the powerless to manipulate people.

We've seen how the Russians used the net to manipulate people and there is no reason to believe corporations or people with bad intent are behind any rumor you hear on the net that doesn't have a source.

All the examples you named, someone came forth and stood by their statement. I will never 100% trust anonymously sourced info found on the webs no matter how much it is repeated.

MEAT
22257 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 12:01 PM

8. "In all the examples I gave a white person came forward"
In response to Reply # 7

And almost always a woman.

------

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 11:24 AM

6. "I've been listening to the Sopranos podcast"
In response to Reply # 2

and Steve Schirippa (Bobby Bacala) used to be entertainment director at the Riviera in vegas. he has tons of celebrity stories some positive, some not so much. He used to book Ellen back in the day and said it was all good. Then he ran into her at the Emmy's and went to say hi, like hey remember me, the guy from the Riviera, and he said she dismissed him like he was a piece of shit.

To your point, i don't think it was anything coordinated by the network, more that twitter will never pass up any excuse to feel justified in dogpiling on someone.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 12:53 PM

11. "People really think comedians are nice people"
In response to Reply # 6

but from what we often hear a lot of them have some serious darkness surrounding them IRL.

and by darkness I mean being shitty people in real life.

Just because she is a white woman and tells jokes doesn’t mean she can’t be a POS to her staff.

she is also friends with W. Basically, do not underestimate the whiteness of a white woman.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 12:57 PM

12. "exactly.....plus, I don't really trust white women off GP anyway...."
In response to Reply # 11

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Thu Jul-22-21 12:43 PM

23. "lotta comedians are pretty open about being messed up"
In response to Reply # 11

if not on stage, in interviews or podcasts

i think with Ellen it's more the contrast with her public image of being this warm, friendly, breezy person

i brought up the shchirripa story because i had just heard it. he didn't go into detail how she was in the past, but i assume she wasn't always terrible to him if he still wanted to say hello to her.

but i still feel buddy's point that this stuff is mostly hearsay. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if she's a trash person who treats people horribly, but it also wouldn't surprise me if some of it's overblown

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 12:05 PM

9. "she's white rich and powerful. she's fine"
In response to Reply # 2

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

MEAT
22257 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 12:21 PM

10. "Chappelle had a joke about not wanting to be photographed with OJ"
In response to Reply # 9

Meanwhile Ellen out here palling around with GW on her free time and Chris Pratt deep in the Fox News Cinematic Universe on Twitter.

Maybe the rumblings about the kind of people they are is true.

------

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Jul-22-21 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "I got thoughts... about both positions"
In response to Reply # 10

but Damali is correct.

She'll land on her feet, somehow.
Meanwhile, I don't think her alleged ways in the workplace are anything unique.

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Jul-22-21 11:37 AM

22. "I don't think they were either"
In response to Reply # 21
Thu Jul-22-21 11:42 AM by MEAT

But I think there's something about what and why you'll tolerate something that gets lost in the complaint.

People will tolerate a lot of bullshit at work if the person they're tolerating it from treats them like humans.

And I think that's the fine print. That most jobs are littered with assholes.

But it looks like what broke the back of her folks is how rich she is and then this:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/a-timeline-of-the-allegations-against-ellen-degeneres-and-her-producers/ar-BB18txui

April 16: Ellen crew outraged by treatment during pandemic

The next month, Ellen crew members alleged that producers left them high and dry during the pandemic, and that they were told nothing "about the status of their working hours, pay, or inquiries about their mental and physical health from producers for over a month," according to a Variety report. The article also said crew members were later told they'd get major pay reductions, and their frustrations only increased when they heard the show hired a non-union company to help DeGeneres tape the show from her home.

Ultimately these folks are run through a company, and their complaints aren't REALLY with Ellen, she probably sees herself as a coworker to these people in a lot of regards ... that none of their paychecks say Ellen on them. But that's not how these folks see her. Every single choice she makes dramatically affects their lives.

So I can see a person that's a general asshole, but ALL the smiles in public ... that pre-pandemic, it was good for business for them to facilitate that image ... but then she's still getting kudos while they get shat on and not paid ... nope. It's the same ethos of why you ALWAYS make sure security's pay checks come on time. Because them folks are either your front line or your undercut, no in between.

And read the link, there was a whole internal investigation, C suite level firings and an internal apology ... that doesn't really happen with just smoke. Meaning it's probably way worse

------

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 05:43 PM

13. "agreed. nm"
In response to Reply # 2

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 05:45 PM

14. "jyeah."
In response to Reply # 0

funny what truth people will tell when they think you dont/cant/wont see/hear it

Any nigga that ever looked at me wrong, owes me money, or ever said some jealous bullshit about me is fuckin’ dead. (c)

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 08:54 PM

15. "Jyeah 2"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-21-21 08:55 PM by Binlahab

The animus people gleefully express for again king among others online absolutely blows my mind.

And the shit is because people think he's white.

Which WHO THE FUCK CARES IF HE IS

Like...you white so you can't speak out abt police brutality.

Fk outta here

People say he steals from Black women.

Evidence? There is none. There are accusations. But if someone stole some money from you...can you not sue? Press charges? Never happens with dude. Why? He didn't do the shit

They say he got into with tamir rice mama. In short he didn't approach the family...except with a check for 60k. When people kept accusing him of not talking to the family...he revealed he had and that he had donated to them. Wasn't good enough

Call this man everything but a child of god...for what?

People that have never lifted...a finger. Never amplified not one constructive positive message about Black people think it's HILARIOUS to call dude out his name and shit on his work online.

And dare say...HE is fake!

Its...absurd. it's ridiculous.

The blind group think so prevalent online is...disgusting.

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Jul-22-21 09:02 AM

16. "I am off the job market"
In response to Reply # 0

A follow up from this:
https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13433107&mesg_id=13433107&listing_type=search#13433129

------

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Jul-22-21 09:06 AM

18. "on to bigger and better? "
In response to Reply # 16

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Jul-22-21 10:06 AM

19. "Man look"
In response to Reply # 18

My current company has been my dream company since I was a teenager. That the pandemic exposed my boss as a monster was truly disappointing, but I thought I could work around and over her and keep trucking on.

It wasn't until that paperwork that I understood that she doesn't see herself anywhere close to how she is. And that she was going to block me from moving around and over her ... and not even out of spite, out of incompetence.

So when I hit the market again. Man. It felt good to remind myself through emails and the like, just exactly who I am and who I was. We had a conversation two days ago, about my notice to leave and she kept bringing up all of these things about my work and how we misaligned, not a bad conversation; but just free of the context that for over a year now we've been in a pandemic, in which I had two small kids in the house, and that I've had to teach myself the job. That part just completely doesn't factor into the conversation. That I've been on quarantine longer than I was an employee before quarantine.

All to say. When the offers came in,they were good, really good. And then one came in that was dumb good. We will see what the work entails, because you can know a job but not know what the work is ... but sheesh.

------

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Jul-22-21 10:10 AM

20. "This is good to here. Congratulations and good luck. AND it sounds like"
In response to Reply # 19

you at least got some closure too....which is always good.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13437716 Previous topic | Next topic