Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13437283

Subject: "Tell me about Amsterdam" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 09:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tell me about Amsterdam"

wife and I are planning a 6 day trip in 2022.

what is odd is Expedia or Delta vacation packages come in under $3K for air and hotel

when I look at flights and hotels separately plane tickets alone are $4K. huh?

No issue with getting a packaged deal but if we traveled to Paris for a night I don’t want to pay for rooms in 2 locations.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Amsterdam is amazing.
Jul 14th 2021
What season?
Jul 14th 2021
Early April 2022
Jul 14th 2021
      First things that spring to mind:
Jul 14th 2021
           appreciate it
Jul 14th 2021
1. SURINAME 2. Black salons and haircare stores
Jul 14th 2021
RE: 1. SURINAME 2. Black salons and haircare stores
Jul 14th 2021
My world is small is what I'm saying.
Jul 14th 2021
      RE: My world is small is what I'm saying.
Jul 14th 2021
I enjoyed learning this too
Jul 14th 2021
art, coffee, mj, good transportation system
Jul 14th 2021
I would book my flight and hotel/housing seperately
Jul 14th 2021
I’m thinking booking separately would give the best flexibility
Jul 14th 2021
      well in that case
Jul 14th 2021
           Nice.
Jul 14th 2021
first time doing shrooms was at the Rijksmuseum
Jul 14th 2021
shout out to the Patta massive!
Jul 15th 2021
not my first time but we did Van Gogh Museum that way
Jul 26th 2021
I live in Amsterdam
Jul 15th 2021
Thank you
Jul 15th 2021
$4K for flights?
Jul 26th 2021

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Amsterdam is amazing. "
In response to Reply # 0

Great vibes. Awesome record stores, the canals are dope, the food is okey doke, but its a great vibe. The Heineken museum is a must visit, as is the Van Gogh museum. Jordaan is a dope neighborhood to stay in- nice coffeeshops and artsy vibe. Taking the train from Amsterdam to Paris is the Bop too.

------------------
One Hundred.

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 11:50 AM

2. "What season?"
In response to Reply # 0

And what's the stuff you two are usually interested in? Arts & culture? Food? Shopping? Partying? Weed?

Let me know and I'm sure I can come up with a few fun/interesting suggestions that'll take you out of the "Theme Park Amsterdam" experience a bit.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 02:13 PM

7. "Early April 2022"
In response to Reply # 2

We are all about the Arts. Design, Architecture and Dance

We are actually going for a concert in Amsterdam.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 03:04 PM

11. "First things that spring to mind:"
In response to Reply # 7

Het HEM: https://hethem.nl/en
Former munitions factory converted to exhibition space/cultural center/café/etc. Kinda new (2018) and not on the radar of many tourists yet, I think. Haven't even been myself, but friends tell me it's pretty cool.

OSCAM: https://www.oscam.nl/
Museum/platform/space with a big focus on Dutch black culture (which is still rare here, even though it's slowly improving), located in the Bijlmer, which has a predominantly non-white population. Used to be a bit of a rough area but has seen a lot of improvement, without too much gentrification if I'm not mistaken. Pretty interesting neighborhood from a historical/cultural/architectural perspective.

Westergasterrein: https://westergas.nl/en/whats-here/
Site of an old gas factory with tons of stuff to do.

I'll probably think of more. Be sure to up this post in the weeks before you head out, or inbox me so I can maybe give some suggestions based on what's happening around that time.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 04:48 PM

15. "appreciate it"
In response to Reply # 11

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 12:24 PM

3. "1. SURINAME 2. Black salons and haircare stores "
In response to Reply # 0

1. SURINAME.

This shit got me when I was there. Whenever I see black people in abroad I'm like, "Africa or Islands?" and when I met some black folks in Amsterdam and it was neither, I was stumped but everyone would say "Suriname". It's a double mindfuck because they look like someone you would see on the subway in NY and some might even sound like it, until they are asked a question in Dutch.

2. yeah...kind of a trip. the black salons and barbers and haircare stores look like any ol' black store you would see in the US.

3. https://youtu.be/Z4D5nJ1P9Jc - not that you would ever see any of this, but this fucks me up when I think about it.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 02:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "RE: 1. SURINAME 2. Black salons and haircare stores "
In response to Reply # 3

What stumped you about my people?

I mean Dutch Guiana (Suriname) and Guyana are literally right next to each other.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 02:25 PM

9. "My world is small is what I'm saying. "
In response to Reply # 6

and, the dutch non-accent thing is kind of trippy.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 02:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "RE: My world is small is what I'm saying. "
In response to Reply # 9

Ah ok..

Yea the funniest thing I remember when I first went to Amsterdam in the late 90s was how the hip hop heads used so much English slang in the midst of all that Dutch/taki taki (Dutch Creole)

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 03:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "I enjoyed learning this too"
In response to Reply # 3

I didn't know or look up anything about the people in Amsterdam or The Netherlands before I went. I just bought a cheap ticket and got on the flight.

It's just really nice to discover different pockets of the Diaspora across the globe. I took a day trip to Rotterdam and was wandering aimlessly after leaving the train station. Within 5 minutes I was on a block full of Surinamese shops and salons, even one that did natural hair/locs. I wanted to go inside, but I was shy.

>1. SURINAME.
>
>This shit got me when I was there. Whenever I see black people
>in abroad I'm like, "Africa or Islands?" and when I met some
>black folks in Amsterdam and it was neither, I was stumped but
>everyone would say "Suriname". It's a double mindfuck because
>they look like someone you would see on the subway in NY and
>some might even sound like it, until they are asked a question
>in Dutch.
>
>2. yeah...kind of a trip. the black salons and barbers and
>haircare stores look like any ol' black store you would see in
>the US.
>
>3. https://youtu.be/Z4D5nJ1P9Jc - not that you would ever see
>any of this, but this fucks me up when I think about it.

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 12:43 PM

4. "art, coffee, mj, good transportation system"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-14-21 12:50 PM by Crash Bandacoot

stedelijk, eye film institute, van gogh, rijksmuseum for art, visuals, and lunch
abraxas for edibles

mind_grapes
Member since Nov 13th 2007
957 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 01:12 PM

5. "I would book my flight and hotel/housing seperately"
In response to Reply # 0

and just find an airbnb in the city. A flight from Amsterdam to Paris is usually under 100 dollars and worth it. Although, I would recommend getting a hotel in Paris if you do want to splurge on nice accommodations: since they are a lot more hospitable to English speakers.

In terms of the city, Amsterdam is truly one of a kind with its signature Dutch architecture, waterways, and bike lanes. Not only does everyone speak English, but the city is surprisingly diverse and full of African and Arab immigrants. Dispensaries are called "coffee shops" and are everywhere; you can even find magic mushrooms in certain parts of the city. It's a great city to rent a bike and ride through; it is also full of great food, museums, and performance venues.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 02:19 PM

8. "I’m thinking booking separately would give the best flexibility "
In response to Reply # 5

AirBnb isn’t really a deal these days, at least not in the states.

I’m taking a trip to Pittsburgh and hotel rooms are way cheaper and nicer than most AirBnb’s right now. Plus, at our age we aren’t trying to do the college euro experience.

mind_grapes
Member since Nov 13th 2007
957 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 03:35 PM

13. "well in that case"
In response to Reply # 8

there are five star hotels right outside of Amsterdam's city center, like Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel that is right next to Rijksmuseum (in the museum district) and is currently offering double bedrooms for $214. Now that's a great deal, but who knows how long these prices will stay low. The Jordaan area, where Anne Frank's house and museum are, is also a nice area to stay or walk around. If you want something less touristy, then visit De Pijp (aka the Latin Quarter). I'd also recommend doing a bike, boat, or food tour; you could also do an evening dinner cruise.

Now if you are really trying to ball out, then take a Mediterranean cruise from Amsterdam: many of them hit major cities like Paris, along with smaller cities in Italy and Spain.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 04:21 PM

14. "Nice. "
In response to Reply # 13

I don’t need 5 star but I 4 stars will do.. lol.

I’m still researching but I doubt the prices get much lower. Still need a free cancellation room tho just in case covid starts tripping again.

That cruise sounds dope af but I’m bot trying to cruise just yet. The dinner cruise tho.. definitely.

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 07:49 PM

16. "first time doing shrooms was at the Rijksmuseum "
In response to Reply # 0

miss my Patta folks

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

spitfire
Charter member
1510 posts
Thu Jul-15-21 07:46 AM

17. "shout out to the Patta massive!"
In response to Reply # 16

True Blue Hip Hop guys from way back when.
Edson and Gee are icons

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://vintagesoulmusic.tumblr.com
http://vintagehiphopmusic.tumblr.com
http://onetwann.tumblr.com

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35246 posts
Mon Jul-26-21 06:27 PM

20. "not my first time but we did Van Gogh Museum that way"
In response to Reply # 16

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

spitfire
Charter member
1510 posts
Thu Jul-15-21 07:59 AM

18. "I live in Amsterdam"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jul-15-21 08:00 AM by spitfire

The city has a magic glow in summer (when it's not raining).

Normally there are shows, concerts and parties everyday.

If you are here in july/august its festival season of which Amsterdam has plenty. I would recommend Appelsap, North Sea Jazz (Rotterdam) or Pitch (if they survive this pandemic) from a Hip Hop perspective. There are also smaller ones like Juicy and Backyard.

(EDIT: i just saw you are here in early april)

Culturally i saw some great suggestions like 'het HEM' and 'OSCAM'.

Also spots like cafe de Duivel are historically the go to spots for Hip Hop culture. Patta and Daily Paper are stylewise the hottest local spots for clothing.

You can always hit me up if you need any specific info

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://vintagesoulmusic.tumblr.com
http://vintagehiphopmusic.tumblr.com
http://onetwann.tumblr.com

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Jul-15-21 10:22 AM

19. "Thank you"
In response to Reply # 18

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35246 posts
Mon Jul-26-21 06:29 PM

21. "$4K for flights?"
In response to Reply # 0

wtf??

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Lobby General Discussion topic #13437283 Previous topic | Next topic