Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13437095

Subject: "OK Cyclists...y'all still out there?" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 09:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OK Cyclists...y'all still out there?"

What's up, fams? What's good with your cycling life, lately? So...looks like I'm back in the build game. Last year I sold my road bike...my Fuji SST. Kinda hit me in the chest as I watched dude drive away, because I built it from scratch. Sourced every part. My plan was to cop a gravel bike as my all-around rig...and I did. I bought a Specialized Crux. I love it. It's sturdy. I beat the hell out of it, too. I'd recently starting getting the itch, to build again, though (the Spesh was bought online as a complete bike). I also miss having a dedicated roadie for the times I just wanna hammer in the big gear on some smooth pavement. So, last night I started looking at framesets. Man, finding parts is intoxicating, LOL. I don't really have a preference, this time, as far as brand. Last time, I knew exactly what bike I wanted. This time, I'm fucking with any brand and any material. Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, Time, Look, Felt, Fuji, Wilier, Argon 18, Pinarello, carbon, aluminum, titanium, steel...I'll know it when I see it. I'm also open to a new or used frameset. Once I secure one, I'll get to groupsets, wheelsets and tires. Those will all be new. I'll probably go with the newest version of 105. I had it on my Fuji and I have it now, on my Spesh. Pretty bombproof. Although, I could go Ultegra if I find a good deal.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I bought a Ribble CGR last year
Jul 12th 2021
Damn, Ribble…that’s a brand I didn’t think of…thanks
Jul 12th 2021
gettin it with this guy
Jul 12th 2021
I wanted my gravel bike to be a 1x11…
Jul 12th 2021
      Mine's been a journey. I started with 26s to make it "gravel"
Jul 12th 2021
Wouldn't call myself a cyclist but...
Jul 12th 2021
looks like it can take a 38mm…
Jul 12th 2021
      It came with 38mm
Jul 12th 2021
           Right on. It’s amazing what a difference that 4mm would make, too…
Jul 12th 2021
           Did you buy your bike from a local bike shop?
Jul 13th 2021
                Yes
Jul 13th 2021
I've lost it.
Jul 12th 2021
RE: Vanmoof
Jul 12th 2021
Is it lack of time, desire…
Jul 12th 2021
      all three.
Jul 12th 2021
lost it
Jul 12th 2021
I bought a trainer off a coworker…
Jul 12th 2021
I can't stand trainers...
Jul 12th 2021
Out of curiosity, what's the city?
Jul 12th 2021
      in savannah
Jul 12th 2021
           My mom lived in Savannah,
Jul 12th 2021
                yeah
Jul 12th 2021
Steady Mobbin' © Cube
Jul 12th 2021
Bro! Part prices are wilding!!
Jul 12th 2021
*email me when this item becomes available*
Jul 12th 2021
      I had to source most of my stuff eBay second hand or NWT
Jul 12th 2021
Are you part of the Good Company Bike Club?
Jul 12th 2021
      That's fam right there...
Jul 12th 2021
2021 TD Five Boro Bike Tour (8/22/21)
Jul 12th 2021
There's a NYC Century Ride as well in September
Jul 12th 2021
Keeping my eye on that event as well...
Jul 12th 2021
I still plan to pick up the packet tomorrow
Aug 20th 2021
Barely. No reason to for the past year. Fall though….
Jul 12th 2021
Did you lose the love, fam? I feel like I remembered you…
Jul 13th 2021
      It def. became ultra utilitarian for me once kid # 2 came along
Jul 13th 2021
Brother and I are doing a cycling documentary.
Jul 12th 2021
Homey, this is amazing!!
Jul 12th 2021
Thank you!
Jul 12th 2021
      Ha, 324 miles…sounds about right…
Jul 12th 2021
fantastic...
Jul 12th 2021
      Word up.
Jul 12th 2021
           Inbox...
Jul 12th 2021
Welcome to the Velodrome © Public Enemy
Jul 14th 2021
you had an SST?! nice. my first roadie was an SL1
Jul 14th 2021
I’ve looked at a couple of Fuji SL frames…
Jul 20th 2021
      dont go aero!
Jul 23rd 2021
           oh, I know...
Aug 03rd 2021
Copping some 28c gator skins for the Cannondale
Jul 14th 2021
Fam, swallow your pride…
Jul 15th 2021
^^This^^
Jul 16th 2021
most falls
Aug 05th 2021
      Falls as in falling more than once sounds terrible.
Aug 05th 2021
           3 times
Aug 06th 2021
                If you have a store near you
Aug 06th 2021
                     will do
Aug 06th 2021
1000+ mi so far this year on my '88 Cannondale
Jul 20th 2021
I love it, man....
Aug 03rd 2021
      12 speed
Aug 05th 2021
so, padded shorts...
Aug 03rd 2021
no drawls, for me...
Aug 03rd 2021
thats sounds like what I've read.
Aug 03rd 2021
      road for almost 30 miles yesterday.
Aug 05th 2021
no drawls, and use some chamois cream
Aug 05th 2021
Frameset acquired...
Aug 03rd 2021
Have a Cannondale Synapse and Kona Rove ST
Aug 06th 2021
Frame came in...
Aug 11th 2021
Cardio bike rider here. I roll about 60+ miles per week, nothing crazy.
Aug 17th 2021
Coming along nicely...
Mar 07th 2022

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 09:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I bought a Ribble CGR last year"
In response to Reply # 0

It's been mainly used as a road bike, less worry about tubes and frames, it's rugged and fast enough.
I bought it so I could hook a kids trailer up to the back so we could be more outdoorsy, so we'll see how that goes.
I haven't been riding much. I try not to burn more than 300 calories a day and I don't have the time or desire to put in distance. Most of where we live isn't that scenic and once that sun comes up, lol, nah
So I'm mainly getting my miles on the trainer.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 01:34 PM

9. "Damn, Ribble…that’s a brand I didn’t think of…thanks"
In response to Reply # 1

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18749 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 10:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "gettin it with this guy"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-12-21 10:04 AM by magilla vanilla

Schwinn Cruiser frame. Old Dura-Ace crankset. 1x9. Might end up jumping the chainring up a bit to get some more sprint speed, but this thing goes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO_436EBx2s/?utm_medium=copy_link

As far as those framesets go I really like the Wilier throwback joint (the steel frame in this one): https://youtu.be/3E1vOhBcsdg

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 01:38 PM

10. "I wanted my gravel bike to be a 1x11…"
In response to Reply # 2

found a couple, but then I came across the deal on the Specialized, that I couldn’t pass up. Yeah, I really like Wilier…kinda pricey, but dope.

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18749 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 03:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "Mine's been a journey. I started with 26s to make it "gravel""
In response to Reply # 10

It didn't love the knobby tires and there was way too much rolling resistance. So I got a set of 26" slicks for it and it went hard. At that point it was just 1x7. Then I realized I had a TON of clearance and got 700s for it. I was originally using a mountain shifter on the right hand drops. Found a good 9 speed STI lever, and so after I was running *THAT* 7 speed for a while I did a trick I learned from Spindatt, since my freehub body is 7/8 speed - I got a 10 speed cassette and deleted one cog to make it 9 speed. It's a fun build.

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 11:18 AM

3. "Wouldn't call myself a cyclist but..."
In response to Reply # 0

I just got a Specialized Sirrus X 5.0. It's a pretty cool bike and Ive been enjoying it. First bike Ive had in about 10 years. Prior to this I had a Cannondale 29er hardtail mtb and I never really enjoyed it much. This time I just wanted a nice do anything general purpose bike. Not interested in super long rides or super crazy trails. The Sirrus X has fit that bill pretty much perfectly with the trails around me. Ive always had mountain bikes so its cool to have something light and quick. On some of the rockier trails its a bit rough but still fast. Need to start playing with tire pressures and go tubeless. Then maybe see if I can fit a wider tire if needed.

The more dedicated gravel bikes like the Diverge look cool but realistically I think would be overkill for what I do and I'd rather have the more upright riding position of the Sirrus X.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 01:46 PM

12. "looks like it can take a 38mm…"
In response to Reply # 3

what do you have on there, now?

sectachrome86
2729 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 02:15 PM

18. "It came with 38mm"
In response to Reply # 12
Mon Jul-12-21 02:15 PM by sectachrome86

Wondering if I can squeeze a 42 on there. Ive seen one pic of a guy that did it but it looked pretty tight.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 03:10 PM

27. "Right on. It’s amazing what a difference that 4mm would make, too…"
In response to Reply # 18

When I finally went from 23mm to 25mm on my road bike, I couldn’t believe I waited so long.

Numba_33
Charter member
19327 posts
Tue Jul-13-21 09:18 AM

39. "Did you buy your bike from a local bike shop?"
In response to Reply # 18

Just curious because if you did, it might make more sense to ask a mechanic what kind of clearance you have with your wheels and max tire width.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

sectachrome86
2729 posts
Tue Jul-13-21 03:46 PM

41. "Yes"
In response to Reply # 39

If/when I get more serious about wanting to change tires, I will do that. Ive only ridden the bike a handful of times and have just been poking around seeing what mods others have done to theirs.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 11:24 AM

4. "I've lost it. "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-12-21 11:25 AM by double negative

My wife says that I'm fast, but I know what I've lost. I no longer ride, being a cyclist is no longer a big part of my identity.

My daily driver that I lived with for 15 years is sitting outside rusting. It was a bike with many lives. It began as a really road bike for its time. Trek 760 in purple fleck paint. I purchased it for nearly zero dollars (2005 for 60 dollars) it came with full Shimano 105 (pre three stripe years) with cocaine white details like tires, bar wrap, hoods, brake lines. It was fucking sick. Then I converted it to a single speed bike with a mix of old and new parts.

I rode it daily when I lived in SF, then I moved to NYC and rode it some of the time, then I met my wife and I rode it never.

My carbon road bike just sits.

We moved to NJ and our house is in the hills. I went for a ride to see how I stacked up and the hills are not a fucking joke here. I had to walk the last part up.

So, I feel like a piece of shit who lost his legs and strength.

Related/new topic:

I am really interested in getting a vanmoof electric bike to get up and down the hills when I have to start commuting to the train station. I was thinking about getting a bromton or some other folding bike - but I think with a pedal assist e-bike I would be able to get down the hill to the station without arriving at the office a sweaty mess, and I would be able to get up the hill after work without dreading the run or dragging ass.

https://www.vanmoof.com/en-US/s3?color=light

The big selling point for me is their payment plan - 83 bucks a month for 36 months. I'd just sell the bike at the end of the 3 year period and buy another one.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

PuertoNico
Member since Dec 31st 2007
312 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 11:56 AM

5. "RE: Vanmoof"
In response to Reply # 4

It's a cool bike, but if you go the electric route i'd recommend a bike with a removable battery. Reasons are: you don't have to take the whole bike into your house or wherever to charge it and also much less hustle if you have to exchange the battery one day.

I'm on my ride almost daily, best purchase of the last couple of years tbh: https://ibb.co/822H90Z

http://www.nico-schlegel.de

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 01:50 PM

13. "Is it lack of time, desire…"
In response to Reply # 4

or just knowing what it would take to get back to where you would want to be?

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 02:48 PM

24. "all three. "
In response to Reply # 13

and I'm isolated.

Like, before I had a community and cycling was a way of life. Here in the suburbs of NYC, cycling is akin to golf, or fencing and while I live amongst those types who think of it that way, I in no way feel bro-y about cycling. Its not exercise, its fun.

And yeah, there is a fear that I wont be able to hold on to any gains I would make on the bike because I would need to give up my time even more for dad or husband shit.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 12:19 PM

6. "lost it"
In response to Reply # 0

just moved to a non bike friendly city and it's a struggle because
cycling was a part of my lifestyle. something will have to give. i
bought a peloton about to try it out.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 01:51 PM

15. "I bought a trainer off a coworker…"
In response to Reply # 6

thinking I would use it hella, in the winter. I didn’t. Just couldn’t get into it.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 01:58 PM

16. "I can't stand trainers..."
In response to Reply # 15

..same for all stationary bike scenarios.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Numba_33
Charter member
19327 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 02:30 PM

21. "Out of curiosity, what's the city?"
In response to Reply # 6

I'm assuming its the lack of biking infrastructure that's stopping you. Is that accurate?

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 02:33 PM

22. "in savannah"
In response to Reply # 21
Mon Jul-12-21 02:40 PM by Crash Bandacoot

virtually no bike lanes outside of some parts of downtown. a lot of the
city doesn't even have adequate pedestrian sidewalks. coming from dc,
i miss the lanes. south carolina, which isnt too far, is much more bike
friendly.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 02:38 PM

23. "My mom lived in Savannah, "
In response to Reply # 22

St. Simons Island, GA and Charleston and Savannah was easily the worst when I would try to ride while I was visiting.

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 02:55 PM

26. "yeah"
In response to Reply # 23
Mon Jul-12-21 03:03 PM by Crash Bandacoot

good beaches and food but, lacking basic infrastructure. they're
content with preservation vs making most of it better. but i mostly
like it here outside of that, they just need a few strategically placed
lanes and it would make a huge difference

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 01:08 PM

7. "Steady Mobbin' © Cube"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-12-21 01:56 PM by CyrenYoung

Building another track monster but getting parts has been a serious challenge. Carbon frame & fork, mixed wheel set, etc. My mechanic is under siege lol.

*Who knew that cycling would be the ideal social-distancing, group activity? Cycling year round means I don't have to take unnecessary risk in public and likely kept my sanity in the midst of this crazy world.

A LOT more cyclist on the streets of NYC since the start of the pandemic. All my brothers bought bikes in the past year. My crew has been putting in work since spring, but I've only been able to join a few group rides (work schedule on grind-mode). Over 100 miles for charity so far this season with more to go (shout out @onelovecommunityfridge & the Knight Ryders). Our weekly rides average 35-50 riders now. The special event rides bring out hundreds. The past 2 Juneteenth rides brought out thousands of riders from all over the tri-state area. Steady mobbin' © Cube.

Missing the Red Hook Crit (no updates).

Currently contemplating the return of the TD Five Boro Bike Tour in August.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 02:02 PM

17. "Bro! Part prices are wilding!!"
In response to Reply # 7

I was looking at groupsets, this morning. The same place I bought my 105 set from, for a shade under $400, in 2014…now has the current edition for a bit over $800. I know inflation is real, but damn. Oh and every iteration is currently sold out. No matter what crank length, number of teeth, sprocket size I mocked up…had to do the “email me when it becomes available”

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 02:16 PM

19. "*email me when this item becomes available*"
In response to Reply # 17

..That notification has been the bane of my existence for almost 2 years now.

LBS can barely keep anything in stock and theft is at an all time high on the mean streets of BK.

Crazy.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 04:36 PM

33. "I had to source most of my stuff eBay second hand or NWT"
In response to Reply # 19

And some random vendors I’d likely have never bothered with before.
Fortunately it wasn’t high end level stuff I needed.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Numba_33
Charter member
19327 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 02:52 PM

25. "Are you part of the Good Company Bike Club?"
In response to Reply # 7

I'm too much of a solitary soul to want to join a cycling club, but props to them for forming a Black-based cycling club in NYC.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 03:41 PM

29. "That's fam right there..."
In response to Reply # 25

..I ride with The Brooklyn Bike Crew and Knight Ryders, but we've held joint rides with Good Company Bike Club. Great energy in that crew.

There might've been a handful of Black cycling clubs before, but those numbers increased ten fold in the past year. Kinda strange having so many random Black people asking for advice/shop talk, but it feels good to see the community growing.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 01:27 PM

8. "2021 TD Five Boro Bike Tour (8/22/21)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.bike.nyc/events/td-five-boro-bike-tour/

Numba_33
Charter member
19327 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 01:44 PM

11. "There's a NYC Century Ride as well in September"
In response to Reply # 8

https://ipedalnyc.com/

Transportation Alternatives isn't hosting it as I guess they've lost too much money over the years running it, so one brave soul is hosting it by himself.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 01:51 PM

14. "Keeping my eye on that event as well..."
In response to Reply # 11

..Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of the way this ride is typically organized, but perhaps they'll improve on that moving forward.

Numba_33
Charter member
19327 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 02:15 PM

67. "I still plan to pick up the packet tomorrow"
In response to Reply # 8

but I wouldn't be surprised if the event is cancelled come Sunday morning. Some of the peak wind gusts I'm reading plus the fact this event attracts some new jack riders isn't a good combination.

Even though the ride on the Verrazano Bridge is on the lower span, I have to imagine riding through 20-40 mile per hour winds across that bridge will be brutal if the winds are that rough.

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 02:25 PM

20. "Barely. No reason to for the past year. Fall though…."
In response to Reply # 0

Been thinking about selling my Benno since the little one won’t be on the commute with me anymore I really hate we missed a year + of commuting together…fucking COVID man….

I still have my first build from the mid aughts…it’s pretty much a gravel bike format these days.

I have a bucket full of parts that was supposed to be a restored and custom painted mixte for the wife…. Haven’t had time or energy to paint the frame up though, maybe come fall….

If I sell the Benno…I’ll still probably get another electric to replace it. I really like what BMC is doing with their e-bikes. I don’t see going back to a non- eBike for commuting. It’s just so practical for my 2 kid, living UPHILL from my job lifestyle.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Jul-13-21 09:09 AM

38. "Did you lose the love, fam? I feel like I remembered you…"
In response to Reply # 20

just loving being on the bike. Did it become more utilitarian?

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Tue Jul-13-21 12:41 PM

40. "It def. became ultra utilitarian for me once kid # 2 came along"
In response to Reply # 38

Hobbies in general just fell by the wayside. Biking is probably the only one I was able to flip into something still practical to fit into the parent lifestyle.

As they're getting older...and old enough to ride....I foresee it becoming something less utilitarian again.

For instance, copped our 8-year old her first brand new bike that's closer to a "grown-up" bike now that she's in the height range where she shouldn't outgrow it at least until middle school (hopefully).

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 04:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
30. "Brother and I are doing a cycling documentary."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-12-21 04:05 PM by LeroyBumpkin

It's called Bike Vessel.
https://www.bikevessel.com/

We've been working on it for about 2(?) years now. We've been applying for grants so we can finish it, but the documentary field is very competitive.
Streaming services are looking for content, so EVERYBODY has a doc out about something.

This past weekend we drove to Dayton, OH for the Major Taylor ride to film my father for the documentary.
It was really inspiring seeing all these Black people on bikes.

In a couple weeks we're going to do a ride from St. Louis to Chicago
for the main storyline of the film. Should be fun.

https://digife.com

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 04:31 PM

31. "Homey, this is amazing!!"
In response to Reply # 30

How can we help? Also, what is the ride from Stl to Chi?

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 04:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
34. "Thank you!"
In response to Reply # 31

The St. Louis to Chicago trip is our own ride specifically for the film.
My father, brother, and anyone else that wants to be part of the ride are going to be cycling from St. Louis to Chicago.
What do y'all call it? A century for two days and two metrics? (ha, I'm still learning).

But yeah, there's a small group of people riding with us.
I'll be part of the filming team following the riders those 4 days.
This ride is essentially going to be the main storyline of the film.
We'll be weaving interviews and other stories about Black riders in and out.

I don't know if we're planning on doing a kickstarter or some other fundraising campaign for Bike Vessel,
but if that changes I'll let people know.
Eric made it to the last round of the Hulu/Kartemquin Accelerator Program, but didn't make it.

Funny thing is, he was the DP and I was the editor of one of the finalists..ha. So yeah.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/hulu-kartemquin-accelerator-program-documentary-grants-directors-resita-cox-latoya-flowers-news-1234787105/

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 04:46 PM

37. "Ha, 324 miles…sounds about right…"
In response to Reply # 34

seriously man, this is so dope. It hits home, too, because my pops had a stroke, last June…the day after Father’s Day. He still her, but unfortunately he’s paralyzed on his left side…so the rest of his time will be spent not being able to do anything for himself. He drank, smoked and abused other drugs for my entire lifetime and he’s paying for it.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 04:36 PM

32. "fantastic..."
In response to Reply # 30
Mon Jul-12-21 04:42 PM by CyrenYoung

..Its always great to see you and your fam continuing to bring these stories to the masses. Heard good things about the Major Taylor Ride in Dayton. That St. Louis to Chi trip sounds like fun. Your Pops is a G, for real. Can't wait to see this all come to fruition. d

A few members of my crew are currently doing the same (capturing the Black cycling experience here). We're hoping to capture the Red Hook Crit next season to bring the NYC cycling experience full circle.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 04:42 PM

35. "Word up."
In response to Reply # 32

Thank you.

>A few members of my crew are currently doing the same
>(capturing the Black cycling experience here). We're hoping to
>capture the Red Hook Crit next season to bring the NYC cycling
>experience full circle.

Maaan, that is huge! I'm learning that there are SO many stories of Black cyclers that need to be told.
I'd love to know more information about their project if possible.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 04:44 PM

36. "Inbox..."
In response to Reply # 35

..I want to know more about your project as well and how we can contribute?

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 09:08 AM

42. "Welcome to the Velodrome © Public Enemy"
In response to Reply # 0

Switching gears in my training/workout routine to include laps on the local velodrome (always working to improve balance/stride). The route to the park is one of my favs, so that's a bonus.

Anyone else with velodrome experience?

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 04:45 PM

43. "you had an SST?! nice. my first roadie was an SL1"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-14-21 04:46 PM by HecticHavoc

I am pretty mad at myself. like you, I built my road bike from the ground up. my current set up:

KTM Revelator 3500 frame(came with 105 group)
Dura Ace 9100 groupset
Shimano Pro Vibe handlebar and stem
Fulcrum Carbon Zero race wheels

the wheels are basically brand new. Bought them in November and went into a HEAVY riding kick from December to February, but sadly... havent done shit for the last 3 months. hopefully i get the bug again.

it took me about... 6 years? to build this bike. the 105 is so bulletproof, and i didnt *need* to get rid of it but i always wanted Dura Ace, and wanted a 16 lb bike after I sold my Fuji SL1. with the Dura Ace and the Fulcrum carbon wheels, this bike is so amazingly capable and fast. It is just up to me to get back out there. i used to crave the Arizona summer season to ride but i havent been able to get out. this post may inspire me though.

i have two centuries under my belt, a tour de scottsdale race, and a ride up Mt. Lemmon in Tucson, so to basically "be retired" when my bike has never been faster is frankly upsetting the shit out of me as i type this.

very curious what you decide to buy!

-----------------------------------------

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Jul-20-21 10:21 AM

47. "I’ve looked at a couple of Fuji SL frames…"
In response to Reply # 43

wouldn’t mind one of those Fuji Transonic joints. I’m looking to do a century in September, but that might be pushing it for getting my build done. Doing a century on a gravel bike, while not impossible, is definitely not ideal.

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Fri Jul-23-21 04:27 PM

49. "dont go aero!"
In response to Reply # 47

>wouldn’t mind one of those Fuji Transonic joints. I’m
>looking to do a century in September, but that might be
>pushing it for getting my build done. Doing a century on a
>gravel bike, while not impossible, is definitely not ideal.

i nearly bought a Transonic... but those bikes, any aero bike, is meant to be ridden on flats with a high spin rate. you mentioned you like climbing in OKS, same with me, and those aero bikes weren't designed for out-of-the-saddle mashing. obviously they can handle it, but i think you should go for a race-frame style. especially if you wanna start knockin out centuries. if you train in hilly subdivisions and then increase the mileage, you'll find your century easier. im not sure i ever want to endure one of those monsters again.

i set a goal of 3500 miles this year. only at 366 LOL... ugh. pathetic. cycling is strange you are either knee deep in it or not even close. no in between. good luck on your century!

-----------------------------------------

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Aug-03-21 03:02 PM

50. "oh, I know..."
In response to Reply # 49

I almost bought a Specialized Venge, some years back. It's pure aero. I don't feel like I do any super-technical descents, where I wouldn't be able to manage it with an aero bike. You're right, though, climbing is not what they do best. I did my first and only century on my SST. It managed, really well. My coworker and I rode together. We had fun. It wasn't easy. I'm a big dude, so climbing was tough. I suffered a lot, that day. I tweaked something at about mile 65 and just pushed through. I've never felt that kind of muscle exertion in my quads, than riding that 100 miles.

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28842 posts
Wed Jul-14-21 11:03 PM

44. "Copping some 28c gator skins for the Cannondale"
In response to Reply # 0

Gotta figure out what attire to wear because tights and 12 inch gym shorts hurt on long commutes.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Thu Jul-15-21 10:10 AM

45. "Fam, swallow your pride…"
In response to Reply # 44

cop some padded bib shorts and thanks me later. Lol…you will be mad at yourself for waiting this long.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Fri Jul-16-21 10:24 PM

46. "^^This^^"
In response to Reply # 45

..I'm not sure why more people aren't investing in better gear, but its essential for me.

Comfort makes the difference on any ride.

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 05:29 PM

59. "most falls"
In response to Reply # 44
Thu Aug-05-21 05:31 PM by Crash Bandacoot

on gators. not sure if it's my aging balance/coordination and/or the
tires. they're a b*tch to get on but they ride really well, just too
many falls for me.

Numba_33
Charter member
19327 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 05:59 PM

60. "Falls as in falling more than once sounds terrible."
In response to Reply # 59

What's causing you to fall?

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Fri Aug-06-21 04:05 PM

61. "3 times"
In response to Reply # 60

1-riding on the sidewalk crossing over in between concrete grooves
2-rolled over a small short piece of branch on smooth pavement
3-sharp quick turn

Numba_33
Charter member
19327 posts
Fri Aug-06-21 04:34 PM

62. "If you have a store near you"
In response to Reply # 61

check to see if the treading in the Continental Four Season tires would serve your interests. Here's a link that has a picture of more info on them: https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tires/race-tires/grand-prix-4-season

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Fri Aug-06-21 05:13 PM

63. "will do"
In response to Reply # 62

thanks!

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Tue Jul-20-21 01:55 PM

48. "1000+ mi so far this year on my '88 Cannondale"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-20-21 01:56 PM by dustin

edit: 1070mi / 37k ft climbing so far in 2021

I just got into cycling this year to add more variety into my fitness plans. Decided to buy something cheap from Craigslist and happened upon my beloved Cannondale: https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net/DWPR8sjFJV7JL--3eVTUCsxQ4tGmqYJmOH-RQw2QFKE-1536x2048.jpg

The old school downtube shifters were a bit challenging at first, but I honestly didn't know a lot about gearing in general. Now I feel super comfortable and I love climbing hills. Out here in Oakland we have some ridiculous grades, 15-25%. I can go on a quick lunch ride and easily hit 1k ft climbing in under 10 miles.

I just did a 70mi ride this past Saturday. Planning for ~90mi over 3 days on roadtrip this weekend.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Aug-03-21 03:06 PM

51. "I love it, man...."
In response to Reply # 48

you a climbing beast. You an out of the saddle climber or just sit and spin. I find I can get more of my legs involved when I get out of the saddle. 25% is a rugged grade. Is that a 10 speed? I have an old 10 speed with downtube shifters on it...all lugged steel. It was weird figuring out the sweet spot to shift it, but I got it after a while.

dustin
4006 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 12:18 PM

57. "12 speed"
In response to Reply # 51

And the gearing is 52/42 in the front and 11-28 in the back, so not necessarily the best for climbs but I've enjoyed/struggled thru the challenge.

I've been working on cadence lately (try to stay between 90-120rpm) so I've been in the saddle more. My natural inclination is to stand up on climbs. I learned the hard way that standing is more taxing, lol. Blew up bad early on a climb, hit about 90% of my max heart rate. Had to take a break and walk the bike for a few minutes.

I honestly love the downtube shifters, the only real struggle is shifting during a climb (out of the saddle), it's damn near impossible. So it makes me think ahead more and try to be in the right gear at the start of a climb.

In related news, I did 100mi over this past weekend and I am hella fatigued this week, this is the first time I've had to listen to my body and just take a recovery week.

>you a climbing beast. You an out of the saddle climber or
>just sit and spin. I find I can get more of my legs involved
>when I get out of the saddle. 25% is a rugged grade. Is that
>a 10 speed? I have an old 10 speed with downtube shifters on
>it...all lugged steel. It was weird figuring out the sweet
>spot to shift it, but I got it after a while.

tariqhu
Charter member
17882 posts
Tue Aug-03-21 03:11 PM

52. "so, padded shorts..."
In response to Reply # 0

do you prefer to wear them with drawls or nah? my first pair arrived today.

they will take some getting use to.

the articles I've read say no drawls, but it seems like they are talking about regular men's underwear and not the athletic type.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Aug-03-21 03:25 PM

53. "no drawls, for me..."
In response to Reply # 52

the whole point (especially on long rides) is comfort. Less moving parts. That's why the best bibs/shorts or made with the fewest panels. I have worn boxer briefs, like the Tommy John type joints with them, before...but I prefer without, personally.

tariqhu
Charter member
17882 posts
Tue Aug-03-21 03:30 PM

54. "thats sounds like what I've read."
In response to Reply # 53

I'll give it a go and see what works. first ride will be with.

the padding definitely feels weird right now.

tariqhu
Charter member
17882 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 07:12 AM

56. "road for almost 30 miles yesterday."
In response to Reply # 54

no big issues wearing drawls with them. didn't have any issues with extra rubbing from the two layers. only thing I noticed was it wasn't as cool. so I'll have to consider that.

they definitely helped with the seat feel. I'll have to get a couple more pairs of them.

dustin
4006 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 02:31 PM

58. "no drawls, and use some chamois cream"
In response to Reply # 52

I believe the shorts are made to be worn commando.

I use this kind of cream: https://www.amazon.com/assos-Chamois-Cream/dp/B095XGDJKL

When putting on the shorts, I rub that cream on the padded part and also on my taint area.

No saddle sores or any irritation at all

youtube video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqDHGPjWZk0

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Aug-03-21 03:40 PM

55. "Frameset acquired..."
In response to Reply # 0

caught a deal on Ebay and sniped it, literally with seconds left.
Trek Madone 4.5. Back in the carbon game. I'll post pics when it arrives. Time to get on these components!

stattic
Charter member
29791 posts
Fri Aug-06-21 06:54 PM

64. "Have a Cannondale Synapse and Kona Rove ST"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Aug-06-21 07:02 PM by stattic

They’re both dope…Rove ST is a quiver killer, only bike u need…handles basically any surface

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Aug-11-21 10:47 AM

65. "Frame came in..."
In response to Reply # 0

dude sent a stem with it, so I mocked it up with that, for the purpose of installing a new headset. Definitely won't be using that stem, though...don't like the rise or length. Waiting on my new bottom bracket to show up. Wanted to use a much better one than the Ultegra joint that comes in the 105 groupset.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/1163/7ANhzb.jpg

Beezo
Charter member
27557 posts
Tue Aug-17-21 12:53 PM

66. "Cardio bike rider here. I roll about 60+ miles per week, nothing crazy. "
In response to Reply # 0

Plan on adding a road bike to the stash at some point, my hybrids serve me well for the moment.

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Mar-07-22 02:45 PM

68. "Coming along nicely..."
In response to Reply # 0

finally found the groupset (in the combination I wanted) in stock. Should be road ready, early next month.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/6510/4b7nC6.jpg

Lobby General Discussion topic #13437095 Previous topic | Next topic