Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13436750

Subject: "Do you mess with fireworks?" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 12:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Do you mess with fireworks?"
Tue Jul-06-21 12:19 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

I used to as a kid. Used to save up all summer, then hit the fireworks stand and get the craziest stuff we could afford.

But now....nah. I'm leaving it to the professionals and staying a good distance away.
Every year, there are some amateur fireworks related accidents. Like an explosions/fires, injuries, deaths. I had some close calls back in the day too.

Jason Pierre Paul mangled his hand a few years ago. And this NHL goalie apparently died from getting hit in the chest with a mortar style firework.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31770332/mattias-kivlenieks-accident-was-columbus-blue-jackets-goalie-coach-house

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
As a kid, absolutely. As an adult. FUCK FIREWORKS...
Jul 06th 2021
I don’t mess with fireworks for the same reason I don’t mess with a ...
Jul 06th 2021
Yeah I love them
Jul 06th 2021
havent in a while
Jul 06th 2021
They’re not interesting.
Jul 06th 2021
Haven’t enjoyed them, personally…
Jul 06th 2021
Aptly-timed post lol. Was just reading about how fireworks cause
Jul 06th 2021
didn’t the hockey goalie hit his head on concrete
Jul 06th 2021
That was the initial story. The autopsy showed it wasn't the case
Jul 06th 2021
wow that's crazy, I hadn't heard Legace's name in a while, he played for...
Jul 06th 2021
Nah.
Jul 06th 2021
ill watch from afar, that nhl player story is really sad
Jul 06th 2021
nope
Jul 06th 2021
I don't understand why people want to set off their own fireworks
Jul 06th 2021
They’ve definitely lost their appeal as I get more crotchety.
Jul 06th 2021
lmao @ more crotchety
Jul 07th 2021
      be an adult, do cocaine or some shit
Jul 08th 2021

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 12:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "As a kid, absolutely. As an adult. FUCK FIREWORKS..."
In response to Reply # 0

AND THE PEOPLE WHO LIGHT THEM.

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 12:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I don’t mess with fireworks for the same reason I don’t mess with a ..."
In response to Reply # 0

To many potential bad outcomes.

6 possible outcomes when messing with fireworks:

1. Hurt yourself
2. Hurt others
3. Kill yourself
4. Kill others
5. Start a fire
6. Nothing happens and everyone has a good time

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 12:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Yeah I love them"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 12:15 PM

4. "havent in a while"
In response to Reply # 0

mostly out of boredom. even going to watch them doesnt interest me.

driving home on the 4th was interesting. they had the main road back to the freeway blocked so i had to drive through the neighborhood. couldnt go more than a few seconds without a big one going off near me.

theyre banned in the city so when we moved out to a small town we went crazy with them back in the day. i think that took care of all the interest i had for them.

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 12:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "They’re not interesting."
In response to Reply # 0

As a kid, they were fun in Alabama, when I’d visit my cousins. They were illegal in GA til a few years ago.

As a parent, we used to go see the pros work, but it’s boring now.

Wish they were still illegal here.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 12:29 PM

6. "Haven’t enjoyed them, personally…"
In response to Reply # 0

since early 20s. I was glad when about 2 summers ago…both of my sons were like, “yeah, we’re good. We don’t have to get them anymore “

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 12:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Aptly-timed post lol. Was just reading about how fireworks cause"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-06-21 12:43 PM by kfine

so many wildfires (eg. apparently 30% of fireworks-related fires from 2014-2018 were reported on 4th of July in the US) and how bans may be a necessity:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wildfire-experts-urge-skipping-fireworks-july-4th-amid/story?id=78631410

https://www.nfpa.org//-/media/Files/News-and-Research/Fire-statistics-and-reports/US-Fire-Problem/Fire-causes/osfireworks.pdf

and felt sick about how difficult a sell they would probably be (especially to Americans. Canadians are pretty big on fireworks too but I doubt the patriotic rage would be as bad further up the continent. Who knows tho).

Given how slowly (poorly?) governments have been adapting to climate risks in general tho I basically think (nation-wide) fireworks bans should be in place already. Not bc I don't think fireworks are pretty, but bc fires and floods are set to increase in the coming decades not decrease. Even if human civilization won't make it past this century, I'd prefer not to go out burnt to a crisp.

Also just learned about Wet Bulb heat *shudder*

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/heat-and-humidity-are-already-reaching-the-limits-of-human-tolerance/

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 12:43 PM

8. "didn’t the hockey goalie hit his head on concrete"
In response to Reply # 0

while getting out of the hot tub?

don’t have the whole story but it sounded like a freak accident

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 12:57 PM

9. "That was the initial story. The autopsy showed it wasn't the case"
In response to Reply # 8

An autopsy revealed on Monday that Kivlenieks died from chest trauma from a mortar-style firework at a backyard celebration. Kivlenieks was 24.

Lt. Jason Meier of the Novi Police Department told ESPN on Monday that Kivlenieks was in a hot tub and tried to avoid the firework, along with several other people. Meier added that all signs showed that it was a "tragic accident." The percussive injury caused major damage to Kivlenieks' heart and lungs.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 01:05 PM

10. "wow that's crazy, I hadn't heard Legace's name in a while, he played for..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-06-21 01:07 PM by ThaTruth

the Blues for a hot minute...

>And this
>NHL goalie apparently died from getting hit in the chest with
>a mortar style firework.
>
>
>https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31770332/mattias-kivlenieks-accident-was-columbus-blue-jackets-goalie-coach-house

as a kid we did but my dad would only let us get small time shit like firecrackers and sparklers and now their saying even those can be dangerous.

I was the youngest and it was usually my older sisters and cousins controlling everything and would tell me to just stand back and watch.

Then our family had a tradition of going to watch the big fireworks downtown.

As an adult I have almost no interested that shit. People are always like "we gotta go watch the fireworks!" I don't GAF about that shit lol

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 01:12 PM

11. "Nah."
In response to Reply # 0

I got bored watching them by the time I was a teen. It's the same thing every single year. How long can you oooh and ahhhhh that?

Never really got into playing with them. They were mostly illegal here and you had to drive across state lines to get good ones, which my mom was absolutely not going to do.

So mostly, they just annoy me in the summer when people can't stop lighting em off every night.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 03:32 PM

12. "ill watch from afar, that nhl player story is really sad"
In response to Reply # 0

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4550 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 04:16 PM

13. "nope"
In response to Reply # 0

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 06:05 PM

14. "I don't understand why people want to set off their own fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

congratulations, you bought explosives

it's not special or difficult.

now you run a higher than average chance of blowing one of your appendages off

I'm good on that one. I've seen fireworks before, they aren't different

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 06:37 PM

15. "They’ve definitely lost their appeal as I get more crotchety."
In response to Reply # 0

My cousin’s neighborhood does a big show for the kids for the 4th, and it’s pretty cool.

People in my neighborhood gradually bust them all year long. They ramp up more when kids get out of school near Memorial Day, then taper off. I’m out of town now, but I know they crunk back up on 7/1 and probably haven’t stopped since. There’s no real consideration for time of day/night or day of the week.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Wed Jul-07-21 08:57 AM

16. "lmao @ more crotchety"
In response to Reply # 15

that is a great description for this year thread

niggas sounding old and unfun up in here

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Thu Jul-08-21 11:14 PM

17. "be an adult, do cocaine or some shit"
In response to Reply # 16

fireworks you bought from some dude in a parking lot?

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lobby General Discussion topic #13436750 Previous topic | Next topic