Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13436554

Subject: "Self-publishing was actually fun" Previous topic | Next topic
theMindofFury
Member since Feb 26th 2003
691 posts
Thu Jul-01-21 11:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Self-publishing was actually fun"

I wrote a book during the pandemic, not because I was home and needed something to do but because I'm always writing and a friend suggested it, so why not? It's a thriller (sort of based on a true story) that I wrote as fast as possible last year and finished in 2021.

Anyway, the process was so enjoyable, the writing just poured out of me, and putting it all together, going through Apple and Google and Amazon, editing and making a cover and poring over the documents, the print previews, finding a picture, writing copy, all of it just stimulated me in a way I never thought would happen.

Anyone else gone through all of this? Getting the paperback formatted was a pain in the ass but I'm glad I did it, it's nice to have a physical copy. I don't even care about the money,

Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Want-Hurt-You-Southern-ebook/dp/B08T25F575/ref=sr_1_4?crid=20FWN6KOZU16G&dchild=1&keywords=i+dont+want+to+hurt+you&qid=1625198561&rnid=2941120011&s=digital-text&sprefix=i+dont+want+to+hur%2Caps%2C294&sr=1-4

Apple- https://books.apple.com/us/book/i-dont-want-to-hurt-you/id1549612059?ls=1

Google- https://www.google.com/books/edition/I_Don_t_Want_to_Hurt_You/R3cSEAAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
That's really cool.
Jul 02nd 2021
Congratulations...
Jul 02nd 2021
RE: Congratulations...
Jul 02nd 2021
Can I ask how much it cost you?
Jul 03rd 2021
RE: Can I ask how much it cost you?
Jul 03rd 2021
Congrats!
Jul 04th 2021
Congrats!
Jul 06th 2021
RE: Congrats!
Jul 08th 2021
RE: Self-publishing was actually fun
Jul 09th 2021

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14000 posts
Fri Jul-02-21 02:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "That's really cool."
In response to Reply # 0

Congrats on accomplishing one of your dreams.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3457 posts
Fri Jul-02-21 06:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Congratulations..."
In response to Reply # 0

It's an incredible accomplishment so you should be really proud!

How do you find the "promotion" aspect of the process - as in actually trying to get it out in front of people? That always seems so daunting to me when I've considered it in the past.

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

theMindofFury
691 posts
Fri Jul-02-21 06:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Congratulations..."
In response to Reply # 2

Promotion is a work-in-progress, as in I'm feeling my way through it all. I did offer (through Amazon) a week of free downloads and got 115 "purchases," which was cool. Now that I have a fully formatted paperback available I'll try to get it into the hands of some local people (influencers, tastemakers, etc.) who can possibly promote for me. We'll see.

blackfoot_female
Member since Jul 15th 2002
967 posts
Sat Jul-03-21 02:46 AM

4. "Can I ask how much it cost you?"
In response to Reply # 0

I’m slowly working on a book I’ll likely self publish

theMindofFury
691 posts
Sat Jul-03-21 09:13 AM

5. "RE: Can I ask how much it cost you?"
In response to Reply # 4

Technically it costs nothing to set up through Amazon, Apple, and Google. I did pay a college student $100 to proofread, and if you set up a paperback through Amazon those are printed as-sold and the cost is built into the price of the book. Have at it, get your book out there.

catalyst
Member since Dec 27th 2005
1389 posts
Sun Jul-04-21 01:10 PM

6. "Congrats!"
In response to Reply # 0

I can only imagine the sense of accomplishment you feel knowing something you've created out of thin air is out in the world. I'm currently working on three projects: poetry, short stories and personal essays. It's always encouraging to read/hear someone else's self-publishing journey!

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Tue Jul-06-21 03:34 PM

7. "Congrats!"
In response to Reply # 0

what type of writing were you doing before the book?

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

theMindofFury
691 posts
Thu Jul-08-21 08:04 AM

8. "RE: Congrats!"
In response to Reply # 7

I wrote for websites part-time, then wrote for a wellness app. I've always wanted to write fiction, though, and finally decided fuck it and did my thing.

theMindofFury
691 posts
Fri Jul-09-21 07:50 PM

9. "RE: Self-publishing was actually fun"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm actually going to spend a few bucks on advertising through Amazon's system. Sponsored ads and campaigns for when people unlock/open their Kindle's. Not cheap, but gotta spend a dollar to earn three, right?

Lobby General Discussion topic #13436554 Previous topic | Next topic