Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13436160

Subject: "How did you split time with the kid(s) after it ended?" Previous topic | Next topic
hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Sun Jun-27-21 11:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How did you split time with the kid(s) after it ended?"

feels weird making what feels like a business proposal but for real life. tomorrow we come up with an agreement and friday we finalize it

how did you do it? alternating weeks
weekends during school?
how did holidays work?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Wish I could help. We commited to keeping our family together.
Jun 27th 2021
not sure but please keep the kids informed
Jun 28th 2021
They staying with me.
Jun 28th 2021
It's somewhat random. Sometimes a few days, sometimes a few weeks
Jun 29th 2021
Alternating weeks. Alternated Xmas and Turkey Day
Jun 30th 2021
question...are you both from the same place?
Jun 30th 2021

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Sun Jun-27-21 11:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Wish I could help. We commited to keeping our family together."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-28-21 12:02 AM by Cold Truth

That was our solution. It's one that isn't for everyone, but that is worth trying in the right scenarios.

In our situation, damn near everything remains the same. Finances, everything. We remain a family unit, and that "family" designation includes each other.

We're not divorcing or anything, health benefits and whatnot remain as-is, all that. We have each other's back, have family trips and everything. But we are done as a couple in any traditional sense of the designation. We ar not together, and that's a wrap. The sun has set on that.

Tontgat end, we each do as we please in our personal lives, with no expectations that we report back, though in at least some cases we keep each other aprised of our relationships, to some degree. We don't need to get a sitter or anything, we just keep each other up to date if we're going somewhere.

Frankly, all we did was remove the general expectation/presumption of certain marital obligations. It's imperfect, and for awhile it seemed that we'd definitely split up were we financially able to do so without anyone sacrificing quality of life to do it.

Currently, it's very likely that we'd still stay together in the smae household. It took time to get to this point, and things are solid.

It's imperfect and less than ideal, to be sure. But there are significant benefits for all of us.

It only works becaus we happened to be the people for it, and I have no illusions that it's one size fits all. It doesn't sound like you and yours fit that bill though- but if that's even a remote possibility, I recommend giving the idea some thought.

Other than that, I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out and I hope whatever follows finds you both in a better place, in all walks of life.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Mon Jun-28-21 08:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "not sure but please keep the kids informed"
In response to Reply # 0

my nephew is going thru it right now because he can’t see his Dad as often and when he does see him, the mother is always in ear shot or creeping around the corner and he despises that shit.

All he wants is a bit of transparency and for his voice to be heard.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Mon Jun-28-21 01:01 PM

3. "They staying with me."
In response to Reply # 0

You can leave. Kids staying.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Tue Jun-29-21 06:12 AM

4. "It's somewhat random. Sometimes a few days, sometimes a few weeks"
In response to Reply # 0

It helps that his mom and I (as well as my parents) all live within 20 minutes of each other, and communication is good. Sometimes he's be with me for a month, then he's go over his mom or grandparents for a few weeks. There never was a set schedule (we've been split for 10 years now... time flies), and he tells us where he wants to go.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Wed Jun-30-21 01:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Alternating weeks. Alternated Xmas and Turkey Day"
In response to Reply # 0

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jun-30-21 11:04 AM

6. "question...are you both from the same place?"
In response to Reply # 0

I ask because I'm not from where I live and if things were to split, Im not sure if I could be down to endure 18 years of winters in the northeast...I'm from California

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Lobby General Discussion topic #13436160 Previous topic | Next topic