Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13435779

Subject: "FINALLY finished my portfolio / OKPcreatives" Previous topic | Next topic
Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 04:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"FINALLY finished my portfolio / OKPcreatives"

Let's see your portfolios! Looking to improve mine over time — actually waiting on some testimonials that I wanted to add. Let me know what you think

https://www.h-n-z.com

just added this case study https://www.h-n-z.com/bluejays

----------

IG @erichrigonan

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
You knocked it out of the park, man
Jun 23rd 2021
RE: You knocked it out of the park, man
Jun 23rd 2021
      I appreciate you liking the websites
Jun 23rd 2021
           RE: I appreciate you liking the websites
Jun 24th 2021
           Mockup Links
Jun 25th 2021
                Thanks so much.
Jun 25th 2021
My goodness that Blue Jays case study is DOPE!
Jun 23rd 2021
Thanks! All I am missing is to work on something Star Wars LOL
Jun 23rd 2021
This is great
Jun 23rd 2021
Thanks I really appreciate that
Jun 23rd 2021
Goddamn I am jealous that you know your brand well
Jun 23rd 2021
Man I really do appreciate that but to be honest
Jun 23rd 2021
As far as bucket lists go, I actually jacked that idea from a fellow des...
Jun 23rd 2021
That Bluejay swinging the bat is hot af. I want that on a shirt or cap
Jun 23rd 2021
Thank you! I actually initially wanted that as a alt patch for the Jays ...
Jun 23rd 2021
btw - are you or any other folks listed on https://blackswho.design/?
Jun 23rd 2021
I'm Filipino if you are taking any of us let me know LOL
Jun 23rd 2021
Some quick thoughts
Jun 23rd 2021
RE: Some quick thoughts
Jun 23rd 2021
Hmmmmm who knew 👍🏽 all around….
Jun 25th 2021
dopeness.
Jun 26th 2021
Had a meeting with the EVP's
Aug 08th 2021
Good luck!
Aug 09th 2021
      Thanks!
Aug 09th 2021
NICE
Aug 10th 2021
Thanks!
Aug 11th 2021
This is good stuff
Aug 10th 2021
Appreciate it!
Aug 11th 2021
Very nice.
Aug 10th 2021
Thanks man
Aug 11th 2021
you've got some really dope work.
Aug 12th 2021
Thank you!
Aug 15th 2021
damn good stuff
Aug 16th 2021
an unexpected turn of events....
Oct 21st 2021
I DID IT.
Dec 03rd 2021
details man.. you had a few things on the table
Dec 03rd 2021
I’ve been talking with their VPs
Dec 03rd 2021
Dope!!!! I love seeing the talent here on this board.
Dec 03rd 2021
      Thanks!
Dec 04th 2021
Hey Love the LL Hats
Dec 03rd 2021
That’s not my brand. Thats a good friend of mine from the city
Dec 03rd 2021
dope
Dec 04th 2021

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 01:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "You knocked it out of the park, man"
In response to Reply # 0

The grayscale graphic that appears right as the page loads is really nice. Gives a sense of personality and illustrates exactly what you do and the purpose of the website.

I like the color scheme and the transition effects a lot. What type of platform are you using? Did you use a framework of some sort for the code?

And that Blue Jays refresh was amazing. I'm kind of a uniform geek so I really appreciated it. The color refresh and the shadows underneath are nice touches. And the more 'modern' jerseys with the logo dead center in the middle of the uniform works for me.

I have an old portfolio and something I did recently.

My personal portfolio is https://chriscjamison.com/

And for my new web design company, the URL is https://ccjdesign.com/

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Heinz
20759 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 01:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "RE: You knocked it out of the park, man"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Jun-23-21 01:55 PM by Heinz

>The grayscale graphic that appears right as the page loads is
>really nice. Gives a sense of personality and illustrates
>exactly what you do and the purpose of the website.
>
Thanks! I was actually worried about that pic and was thinking of getting some better ones taken. I thought it may look too laid back for someone looking for a director position even as a creative.

>I like the color scheme and the transition effects a lot. What
>type of platform are you using? Did you use a framework of
>some sort for the code?
I did this on WIX to be honest. I just found a template I liked and totally changed it. Tried to make it simple and as much of my own as I could make it. I don't code nor do I really like doing web design. I don't know how y'all do it. When my company asked me to do sites back in the day transitioning from mainly print to web was frustrating. Still is.

>
>And that Blue Jays refresh was amazing. I'm kind of a uniform
>geek so I really appreciated it. The color refresh and the
>shadows underneath are nice touches. And the more 'modern'
>jerseys with the logo dead center in the middle of the uniform
>works for me.
>
Thanks! I basically tried to reference and modernize some of their past uni's and put my own spin on it. Hopefully it translates that way.

>I have an old portfolio and something I did recently.
>
>My personal portfolio is https://chriscjamison.com/
>
>And for my new web design company, the URL is
>https://ccjdesign.com/
>
These are dope man. I respect anyone who can do web, theres so many moving parts to think about. I do not envy y'all. I think the only thing I would add is looking for new mockups that are as crips as the website. I took the time to really find those free ones, theres many. I can post a bunch of links if you need. But yeah I would take the time to find mockups that all give off the same vibe and look for your work so its all consistent. It really goes a long way for the overall look. Great work keep it up!

----------

IG @erichrigonan

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 09:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "I appreciate you liking the websites"
In response to Reply # 10

When I was learning about web design, I thought of focusing simply on graphic design but print and identity work requires an eye that I didn't understand at the time. Web work was easier for me to get into because I just took what I noticed from video games. LOL.

About the mockups, did you mean for ccjdesign.com or the other site?

And please post your link to mockups. I used Adobe Stock for mine, but their selection wasn't quite as high-quality as I would have liked. I'd be grateful if you shared the links.

Thanks again for looking them over.

Heinz
20759 posts
Thu Jun-24-21 12:18 AM

17. "RE: I appreciate you liking the websites"
In response to Reply # 16

>When I was learning about web design, I thought of focusing
>simply on graphic design but print and identity work requires
>an eye that I didn't understand at the time. Web work was
>easier for me to get into because I just took what I noticed
>from video games. LOL.
>
Yeah I totally know what you mean, I would always forget about the user part and even to this day I keep treating websites like a static print layout. Web is definitely an art form.

>About the mockups, did you mean for ccjdesign.com or the other
>site?
>
For the CCJ Design site. Dope sites they just need better mockups to showcase them.

>And please post your link to mockups. I used Adobe Stock for
>mine, but their selection wasn't quite as high-quality as I
>would have liked. I'd be grateful if you shared the links.
>
>Thanks again for looking them over.

Yeah when I jump on the computer tomorrow morning I'll reply with a list of where I go. You know whats funny I started to find really dope shit on Adobe Stock. A lot of the good ones you have to pay for but I think if you sign up you get 10 free downloads. Mockups are like fonts, sometimes they can take forever to find the right ones for a designer or for the look of your project.

----------

IG @erichrigonan

Heinz
20759 posts
Fri Jun-25-21 02:07 PM

18. "Mockup Links"
In response to Reply # 16

https://mockups-design.com/
https://mockupfree.co/

----------

IG @erichrigonan

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Fri Jun-25-21 03:52 PM

19. "Thanks so much."
In response to Reply # 18

Really appreciate it.

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 05:25 AM

2. "My goodness that Blue Jays case study is DOPE!"
In response to Reply # 0

Incredible work all around.

Heinz
20759 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 11:05 AM

9. "Thanks! All I am missing is to work on something Star Wars LOL"
In response to Reply # 2

----------

IG @erichrigonan

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 06:47 AM

3. "This is great"
In response to Reply # 0

Heinz
20759 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 11:04 AM

8. "Thanks I really appreciate that"
In response to Reply # 3

----------

IG @erichrigonan

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 10:12 AM

4. "Goddamn I am jealous that you know your brand well "
In response to Reply # 0

The bucket list got me

I would never be able to do a for-real-true-to-my-soul creative bucket list because of that internal "what the fuck you doing here?" voice

I am balls deep into my portfolio and it has been going on for 3 fucking years.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Heinz
20759 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 11:01 AM

6. "Man I really do appreciate that but to be honest"
In response to Reply # 4

It took me years to get here, and this portfolio I've been working on and off for over the past year and some change.

Taking the leap into music as management, A&R and creative director really showed me that I HATE having to trust other people or put all my eggs in one basket like you would do developing an artist. It would be different if I was at a label where you can treat artists like content but when you tie yourself to one or two artists it really fucks with you. I say this coming from a freelance designer who would only have to rely on myself and knowing my own work philosophies and ethic. When I worked with artists a lot of red flags pop up thet you ignore because the product is good. I don't regret doing it because I am very proud of the shit I worked on and the relationships it created whether real life or work relationships.

Anyways my point is, I didn't get to this point of knowing that what and where I wanted to work in and on until a few years ago after a few disappointments in music. A good friend of mine and fellow designer was in the same position and was tired of the things he was working on and I saw him transition into the things he loved. I started to ask him questions of how he got there mentality and he just asked me the simple question, "what is your real passion that you would love to be working on?"...and it was baseball. Anyone that knows me, knows that is my biggest passion other than design. I realized can take all my love for design, business, marketing etc that I learned as a freelancer and in music into sports design. So I started to scheme and look at my past work to see how I wanted to present myself. Did a lot of research of other peoples portfolios and did a deep dive into the world of sports design. Found out who the big names were and found the communities, and thats how I started to formulate my plan.

It sounds like a simple question to ask yourself but honestly how often do we ask ourselves that when we are busy just trying to have a career in design. There's not reason why we all can't do both until that passion is making us more money that where we currently are. Keep at it and keep it simple. Ask yourself does your portfolio show people that DON'T know you exactly who you are and what you want to offer as a creative?

----------

IG @erichrigonan

Heinz
20759 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 01:49 PM

11. "As far as bucket lists go, I actually jacked that idea from a fellow des..."
In response to Reply # 4

A dope designer in sports that I found while researching that world had it on his page. I thought wow that is a brilliant way to showcase your interests, and the type of work you are looking to work on and how your services or skills can translate to all of them. So I emailed him and said "Hey I hope you don't mind but I'm going to flip your bucket list idea into my own version of it" and he was appreciative of that and I now have an open dialogue with a designer I admire.

----------

IG @erichrigonan

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 10:22 AM

5. "That Bluejay swinging the bat is hot af. I want that on a shirt or cap"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Heinz
20759 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 11:03 AM

7. "Thank you! I actually initially wanted that as a alt patch for the Jays ..."
In response to Reply # 5

but it just didn't feel right. Ended up playing with the colours and thought this would be amazing for one of Toronto's minor league teams in Dunedin. Usually they just copy whatever the MLB team designs are in a really bad way since they shared the same name "Blue Jays". I thought this was a neat way to have their own identity without changing their name. I think I am going to do a whole case study for that as well.

----------

IG @erichrigonan

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 03:22 PM

12. "btw - are you or any other folks listed on https://blackswho.design/?"
In response to Reply # 0

If not...get on that.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Heinz
20759 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 04:02 PM

15. "I'm Filipino if you are taking any of us let me know LOL"
In response to Reply # 12

----------

IG @erichrigonan

maro
Charter member

13. "Some quick thoughts"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jun-23-21 03:30 PM by maro

First off, nice job of pulling a tight portfolio together. I am always looking for solid portfolio examples, as those of us in the Design world know, it's a pain to pull together. Yours is really good.

a few comments / questions / opinions.. take with grain of salt from a fellow okp designer.

• While aesthetically pleasing to some degree, the light-serif font you are using across the site makes it very hard to read..

• Another copy point.... your tone feels varied. Some sentences are pragmatic and concise and other times it's super casual ".... the design nerd in me..." Less is more with copy, I would suggest tightening it up so there is less to read and leans more professional.

• It's not clear to me that your Blue Jay case study was a gig or just something you did on your own... either way, they should hire you if they haven't cause its a home run my man.

• Your blog?

Great job, thanks for sharing.

werd.

Heinz
20759 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 04:01 PM

14. "RE: Some quick thoughts"
In response to Reply # 13

>First off, nice job of pulling a tight portfolio together. I
>am always looking for solid portfolio examples, as those of us
>in the Design world know, it's a pain to pull together. Yours
>is really good.
>
>a few comments / questions / opinions.. take with grain of
>salt from a fellow okp designer.
Always open to different views on my work
>
>• While aesthetically pleasing to some degree, the
>light-serif font you are using across the site makes it very
>hard to read..
Word? I've tried it on all browsers and it seemed fine to me and I have bad eyes LOL

>
>• Another copy point.... your tone feels varied. Some
>sentences are pragmatic and concise and other times it's super
>casual ".... the design nerd in me..." Less is more with
>copy, I would suggest tightening it up so there is less to
>read and leans more professional.
>
Yeah I felt like I got wrote too much int he copy of the case study but I wanted to get my thought process out on it. I tried to keep it as minimal as possible but looking at other case studies I think I didn't go overboard.

As far as tone, you aren't the first person to bring that up to me. I tried to keep it loose and creative but also at times keep it "professional". I suck at writing copy, you will never hear me claim that ever but I didn't want it to be too corporate. I know that's weird because the world I want to enter is sort of corporate and the one job I really want is owned by a giant corporation but that's not me and that's not what I am offering. Despite my tone it's my skills, mv vision and ability to execute and I've done that on all levels of freelance, corporate to smaller businesses. That's why in my testimonials that I am adding you will see a variety of people cosigning from Executive Vice Presidents in music to communication strategists who work in the health sector to other designers who respect my work. I am trying to brand my self as something much different than the cookie cutter designer.

>• It's not clear to me that your Blue Jay case study was a
>gig or just something you did on your own... either way, they
>should hire you if they haven't cause its a home run my man.
>
Nah it was a pure passion project but I wanted to take it serious as if it was an actual design gig. I wanted to showcase that I can put that thought and research into it and execute it on a very high level.

>• Your blog?
>
Yeah it's not ready yet I just have that tab there for now.

>Great job, thanks for sharing.
>
>werd.
Thanks I really appreciate you taking the time to look at my work, means a lot.

----------

IG @erichrigonan

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Fri Jun-25-21 04:05 PM

20. "Hmmmmm who knew 👍🏽 all around…."
In response to Reply # 0

All around

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

Walk On
Member since Apr 04th 2005
8332 posts
Sat Jun-26-21 01:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "dopeness."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- #LoveCitees

message brought to you by...

www.onustees.com

Heinz
20759 posts
Sun Aug-08-21 12:58 PM

22. "Had a meeting with the EVP's"
In response to Reply # 0

The president and evp's reached out after posting this as an article on LinkedIn. I'll update when more things develop but it was a really great meeting.

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Mon Aug-09-21 01:32 AM

23. "Good luck!"
In response to Reply # 22

Heinz
20759 posts
Mon Aug-09-21 02:05 PM

24. "Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 23
Mon Aug-09-21 02:05 PM by Heinz

Thought I would get pawned off to like a junior designer lol

naame
Charter member
21017 posts
Tue Aug-10-21 12:59 PM

25. "NICE"
In response to Reply # 0

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

Heinz
20759 posts
Wed Aug-11-21 10:38 AM

28. "Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 25

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Tue Aug-10-21 03:55 PM

26. "This is good stuff"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Heinz
20759 posts

29. "Appreciate it!"
In response to Reply # 26

tonywashington
Charter member
23582 posts
Tue Aug-10-21 07:59 PM

27. "Very nice."
In response to Reply # 0

-T
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"rick ross got old african woman swag" (c)nayaa

Heinz
20759 posts

30. "Thanks man"
In response to Reply # 27

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu Aug-12-21 08:12 PM

31. "you've got some really dope work. "
In response to Reply # 0

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

Heinz
20759 posts
Sun Aug-15-21 11:32 PM

32. "Thank you!"
In response to Reply # 31

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Mon Aug-16-21 12:14 PM

33. "damn good stuff"
In response to Reply # 0

really good work

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Heinz
20759 posts
Thu Oct-21-21 03:37 PM

34. "an unexpected turn of events...."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-21-21 03:37 PM by Heinz

I just had an interview with the President of dinosaurs LOL

Heinz
20759 posts
Fri Dec-03-21 11:16 AM

35. "I DID IT."
In response to Reply # 0

And that other option is still a possibility!!!!

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Fri Dec-03-21 01:23 PM

37. "details man.. you had a few things on the table"
In response to Reply # 35

congrats regardless

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Heinz
20759 posts
Fri Dec-03-21 03:35 PM

39. "I’ve been talking with their VPs"
In response to Reply # 37
Fri Dec-03-21 03:40 PM by Heinz

And made them aware that I want to create a Creative Director position there since it oddly has never existed. All that is currently available is a Junior Designer role unfortunately so i turned that down to creative direct/design on a project to project basis with them…for now. Going to be working on a bunch of really amazing projects and convince them they need a CD now and that it’s me. Meanwhile all that was in limbo I was suggested for a CD position for Masai and his company. Interview with him and his team went great and I am in the running for that. This would be for his charity and personal brand. The possibility of working directly with a leader like that would be amazing to be around and soak up all the gems. He is a really cool ass guy and I would love to work there plus I would be able to do both. If I took that junior designer role with the Jays I feel like I would be selling myself short and doing myself a disservice. But my dream job is a step closer and If I can be the organizations first ever CD i would lose my shit. I’m going to do it.

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Fri Dec-03-21 01:49 PM

38. "Dope!!!! I love seeing the talent here on this board."
In response to Reply # 35

Heinz
20759 posts
Sat Dec-04-21 12:38 AM

41. "Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 38

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Fri Dec-03-21 12:44 PM

36. "Hey Love the LL Hats"
In response to Reply # 0

I know head of Merch for Rock the Bells. I am tempted to show it to him but wouldn't want that to end up with a cease and desist (which I don't think would happen or make sense but you never know).

Do you mind if I do?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Heinz
20759 posts
Fri Dec-03-21 03:38 PM

40. "That’s not my brand. Thats a good friend of mine from the city"
In response to Reply # 36
Fri Dec-03-21 03:39 PM by Heinz

He’s pretty well known among those streetwear designers. He’s done collabos with Ronny from KITH and Anwar from Carrots. I did the baseball inspired side patches. I appreciate the love.

eclipsedInI
Member since Jul 29th 2002
92867 posts
Sat Dec-04-21 03:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
42. "dope"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #13435779 Previous topic | Next topic