Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13435560

Subject: "HEY Y'ALL!!! WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE SLAVE SHIPS???" Previous topic | Next topic
Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Sat Jun-19-21 05:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"HEY Y'ALL!!! WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE SLAVE SHIPS???"

First of all, I would to wish everybody a very happy Juneteenth day !!!

A friend of mine came to visit me yesterday and he told me that he was on his way to ATL, Georgia for a Juneteenth celebration. He didn't know the meaning of Juneteenth; he actually thought that Juneteenth had something to do with the first slave ship that landed in America...Don't laugh!!! There is a lot of people that don't know the real meaning of this new holiday, Juneteenth. I really didn't see any real significance and not a lot worth of this new holiday until my friend asked me this question, where are the original slave ships that brought African people to America??? This question stuck in my head and I am inquiring to anyone who knows anything about this, where are the slave ships that brought Blacks to America??? They found the Titanic, the Nina, Pinta and the Santa Maria; they have even found King Tut's tomb & treasures from the Black Egyptian days etc. Where are the slave ships??? I have never seen a slave ship, not even a photo of any original Black slave ships...Have you???

If there are any OKPs here that have any information about the slave ships, please post...Right about now, I am going to use this new holiday, Juneteenth as a day to unveil more hidden truths about our history during the slavery years, your input would be highly appreciated !!!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
First, yes there are some that have been found.
Jun 19th 2021
Thanks so much soulfunk!!!
Jun 19th 2021
^^All of this.^^
Jun 20th 2021
Here is a quote from History.com...
Jun 20th 2021
It’s not a new holiday.
Jun 20th 2021
Who says Juneteenth is not a new holiday???...
Jun 20th 2021
      It should be a fed holiday to commemorate the events.
Jun 20th 2021
      Commemorate what events?
Jun 20th 2021
           commemorate probably wasn't the right word.
Jun 20th 2021
                Yeah? What’s the federal relevancy of the date?
Jun 20th 2021
                     I believe he is trying to say national relevance rather than federal
Jun 20th 2021
                          The emancipation proclamation “ended” slavery in 1863
Jun 20th 2021
                          help me understand how my comments are flattening or
Jun 22nd 2021
                               Because the date is about a specific event on a specific date
Jun 22nd 2021
                                    makes sense.
Jun 22nd 2021
                                    n/m
Jun 25th 2021
                          yes, national.
Jun 22nd 2021
      Me. A multigenerational Texan.
Jun 20th 2021
      Well, do you have any proof???...n/m
Jun 20th 2021
           You’re asking for proof of easily searchable facts.
Jun 20th 2021
                People are wild.
Jun 20th 2021
                Well, maybe I should apologize for calling...
Jun 20th 2021
      What dates do you think would be more significant?
Jun 21st 2021
           Well, after reading these comments & checking out links here...
Jun 21st 2021
           Well, after reading these comments & checking out links here...
Jun 21st 2021
                This is nonsense, absolute nonsense
Jun 21st 2021
                     Well, well, well!!!...
Jun 21st 2021
                          Your ignorance should be a moment to reflect and reconsider
Jun 21st 2021
                               The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire let...
Jun 21st 2021
                                    I’m being sincere when I’m saying how offensive and dismissive
Jun 21st 2021
                                    try love...
Jun 21st 2021
                                    are you Black?
Jun 22nd 2021
                                         I'm so confused...Ima just back away slowly from this whole thread...
Jun 22nd 2021
                                              it reads like one of those posters who ain’t one of us
Jun 22nd 2021
                                                   What’s even worse is there’s literally nothing wrong with celebratin...
Jun 22nd 2021
                                                   People are weird
Jun 22nd 2021
                                                   I imagine it's a bit disorienting when one is awoken.....
Jun 22nd 2021
                                                        haha.. I remember when I found out about Malcolm X
Jun 22nd 2021
                                                             LMAO! ... i mean...at least you were still an adolescent then...
Jun 22nd 2021
                                                                  standing for the pledge? not anymore you white devils..
Jun 22nd 2021
Sounds like your friend was getting the 1619 project mixed up
Jun 20th 2021
I am pretty sure that a lot of people...
Jun 20th 2021
Hard to keep 300+ year-old wooden cargo ships floating around
Jun 21st 2021
Exactly. When I was checking information for my post 1 above, I
Jun 21st 2021
I appreciate your follow up. Thank you.
Jun 21st 2021
ol' ship of theseus looking ass ship
Jun 21st 2021
Gunboat Philadelphia. It's in the American History Museum in DC....
Jun 22nd 2021
the last known slave ship was found 2 years ago
Jun 21st 2021
Its no conspiracy. It would probably be only in the last 100 years
Jun 21st 2021
Right. And those outhouses weren’t in the bottom of the ocean.
Jun 21st 2021
who can explain
Jun 21st 2021
this post is nutz nm
Jun 21st 2021
Cinque, Abdulrahman Ibrahim Sori, Yarmout etc etc
Jun 22nd 2021
Fam I am mad I just googled Taj Tarik Bey
Jun 22nd 2021
      Yea can't lie I feel for the lie too
Jun 22nd 2021
every time I see this post title I hear this song in my head...
Jun 24th 2021
Every time.
Jun 25th 2021
      Hello Squeeg!!!...
Jun 25th 2021
           Hey!
Jun 28th 2021
                I'm doing good man!!!
Jun 29th 2021
Repurposed and then retired when no longer needed.
Jun 28th 2021

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Sat Jun-19-21 08:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "First, yes there are some that have been found. "
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jun-19-21 08:38 PM by soulfunk

Here’s a link to the wiki for the Clotilda, the last slave ship to arrive to the US, and the wreck has been identified:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clotilda_(slave_ship)

https://www.history.com/news/clotilda-wreck-identified-last-us-slave-ship-alabama

Here’s a wiki for another slave ship wreck that’s been found - the São José Paquete Africa:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A3o_Jos%C3%A9_Paquete_Africa?wprov=sfti1

That wreck has been explored by a group called the Slave Wrecks Project, who search for and explore wrecks of slave ships:

https://nmaahc.si.edu/explore/initiatives/slave-wrecks-project

Second, it’s not true that the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria have been found. In 2014, someone claimed to have found the Santa Maria, but when experts checked it out, they realized it couldn’t be the Santa Maria because some of the parts that survived weren’t used until the 17th or 18th century:

https://en.unesco.org/news/shipwreck-not-santa-maria-unesco-experts-say

The Nina and Pinta have definitely never been found. Yes the Titanic was found, but it was WAY more recently wrecked than slave ships, and was made of metal and not wood like the slave ships which would erode much more easily (especially over centuries of time.) Not to mention how huge the Titanic was.

Third, the term “slave ship” isn’t totally comprehensive of how those ships would have been categorized at the time. They were cargo ships that for part of their lives were used in the triangular slave trade. They weren’t designed specifically as “slave ships” and those that survived after their use in the slave trade would have likely been used for other cargo purposes afterwards until deemed not sea-worthy. The names of ships often would have been changed when sold to different owners after being used in the triangular trade, and records would have often been lost.

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Sat Jun-19-21 08:52 PM

2. "Thanks so much soulfunk!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

I will check out this information that you provided and I will get back after I check it out !!!

I LUV U 2!!!

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 08:11 AM

3. "^^All of this.^^"
In response to Reply # 1

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 11:40 AM

5. "Here is a quote from History.com..."
In response to Reply # 1

"There were roughly 110 African children, teenagers, and young adults on board the Clotilda when it arrived in Alabama in 1860, just one year before the Civil War. Unable to return to Africa after emancipation on June 19, 1865—aka Juneteenth—they left records and gave interviews about who they were and where they came from that survive today. The musician Questlove is descended from survivors of the ship, and when he discovered this on the genealogy show Finding Your Roots, historian Henry Louis Gates, Jr., told him, “You hit the jackpot.”

WOW!!! I did see the Henry Gates, "Finding Your Roots" with Questlove so I already knew that Questlove's descendants were on the last slave ship that landed in America. This slave ship search is more interesting to me than Juneteenth. This new holiday reveals only ONE LIE that was told during the slavery era and to me, it is sort of minor in comparison to other things that happened during that time. Maybe the Juneteenth holiday will put peoples minds into a search of other secrets and things that have been kept under cover; maybe searching for more truths will put all of our minds in a better place !!!

I LUV U 2!!!

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 08:35 AM

4. "It’s not a new holiday. "
In response to Reply # 0

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 11:44 AM

6. "Who says Juneteenth is not a new holiday???..."
In response to Reply # 4

I really don't see what is so major about Juneteenth??? There is so many things that happened through our slavery era that I feel would be much more significant than this new holiday. I do wonder if they created this holiday for financial gain???...I'm talking rising sales of Black memorabilia, t-shirts, barbeque grills and so on???...I am trying to see my way through this, maybe it's the beginning of more enlightment into more major events that took place during the slavery era...Let's just see...

I LUV U 2!!!

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 11:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "It should be a fed holiday to commemorate the events."
In response to Reply # 6

it's definitely not the end of the road for any real progress. all the fighting to expand voting rights, stop police brutality, etc. will continue. just like after MLK day was made national.

I've not seen/read anything from anyone who thinks this will placate us and distract from everything else. if anything, I think it's making folks dig in more because it's not resolving any issues.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

MEAT
22257 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 12:11 PM

9. "Commemorate what events?"
In response to Reply # 7

------

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 02:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "commemorate probably wasn't the right word."
In response to Reply # 9
Sun Jun-20-21 02:35 PM by tariqhu

more having the acknowledgement of how important that day is on a fed level and not just to a few states.

MEAT
22257 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 02:36 PM

15. "Yeah? What’s the federal relevancy of the date?"
In response to Reply # 14

------

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 03:28 PM

16. "I believe he is trying to say national relevance rather than federal"
In response to Reply # 15

The national relevance that finally all the slaves were freed in the US.

MEAT
22257 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 04:03 PM

19. "The emancipation proclamation “ended” slavery in 1863"
In response to Reply # 16

In April of 1865 Lee surrendered and the Civil War and confederacy were done
It wasn’t until June 19th that the Union Troops arrived in Galveston to enforce the law.
This isn’t a small quibble. This is the core of why Juneteenth is REVERED by generations of Texans.
At least try to understand the need for specificity in the date. Because when you flatten it, even unintentionally it leads to erasure.

------

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 09:25 AM

41. "help me understand how my comments are flattening or"
In response to Reply # 19

speaking to erasure. that is definitely not my intention. I do understand the importance of the actual date.

MEAT
22257 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 09:52 AM

50. "Because the date is about a specific event on a specific date "
In response to Reply # 41

About a specific people.
May 20th has significance in Florida that June 19th doesn’t and vice versa for example
To roll all of this into one as and end to slavery when it’s not actually that is wrong. It’s white washing.
The war was over for months by 6/19/1865. The emancipation proclamation was was years old at this point
What you’re referencing by Juneteenth isn’t an arbitrary celebration of the end. It was a recognized day from people through lived experience that then passed it down to their descendants.
To nationalize that flattens their experience as well as others.

------

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 01:53 PM

53. "makes sense."
In response to Reply # 50

thx

naame
Charter member
21017 posts
Fri Jun-25-21 01:02 PM

55. "n/m"
In response to Reply # 50
Fri Jun-25-21 01:04 PM by naame

n/m

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 09:21 AM

40. "yes, national. "
In response to Reply # 16

I was using them interchangeably, but wasn't specifically talking about the gubment. having more folks across the nation recognizing the reason Juneteenth is important.

MEAT
22257 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 12:07 PM

8. "Me. A multigenerational Texan. "
In response to Reply # 6
Sun Jun-20-21 12:08 PM by MEAT

It’s literally been acknowledged and celebrated for over 150 years

------

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 01:19 PM

10. "Well, do you have any proof???...n/m"
In response to Reply # 8

I LUV U 2!!!

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 02:06 PM

12. "You’re asking for proof of easily searchable facts. "
In response to Reply # 10

Juneteenth has been celebrated in Texas since 1866, literally the first anniversary of it:

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/juneteenth.html

It started getting more widely celebrated across the country during the civil rights movement of the 50’s and 60’s.

https://www.crfashionbook.com/culture/a32853211/juneteenth-holiday-civil-rights/

The only thing “new” is the acknowledgment as a Federal holiday.

MEAT
22257 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 02:11 PM

13. "People are wild. "
In response to Reply # 12

------

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 03:36 PM

17. "Well, maybe I should apologize for calling..."
In response to Reply # 12

Juneteenth a new holiday, it's just that I had never heard anything about this holiday until about a couple of years ago. Why has it suddenly become a major holiday??? I see that the celebration of Juneteenth has been around for a very long time, I just didn't know about it and a lot of people that I know did not know about Juneteenth...

I LUV U 2!!!

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 11:14 AM

25. "What dates do you think would be more significant?"
In response to Reply # 6

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 04:35 PM

"Well, after reading these comments & checking out links here..."

I really put more thought into the real significance of celebrating
Juneteenth. Yes, this was a very relevant time for slaves, just to know that slave masters could not claim ownership of slaves was a blessing. I have seen & heard about lot of the awful events that took place after the slaves were released. Lynching's became more prevalent due to slave owners anger because we did not have to work for free any longer. Since Blacks were no longer slaves, they had no use for us and a lot of the events that took place after slaves gained their freedom were worse and harder than being enslaved. We were released from slavery with nothing but "freedom", no jobs, no schooling, no support from the government. The judicial system was not in our favor at all. I know that the U.S. imported Jewish people to this country and provided housing, education and whatever they needed to become a major, successful part of the White race of people. We had to survive in whatever way we could, I've heard that some ex-slaves stayed on the plantations and continued to work for free because they saw no other alternatives.

I just feel that a lot of Black people might look upon Juneteenth as a day to celebrate like, The Fourth of July or Memorial Day where we kick back, go grab the liquor, drugs, barbequing, music & partying. I have never been a person that is fast to judge a persons way of life. Maybe some people might feel really good about looking forward to a new paid holiday and celebration. Black people have come a very long way since 1865 but we still have a long way to go and should not allow Juneteenth to make us feel like we are truly free and ignore the fact that we still struggle with police brutality and a a justice system that is still not in Black peoples favor. Even in the new millennium we have to protest and fight like hell to get fair justice. Thank God for the internet & phone cameras, through these devices more justice is being served to us!!!

Most of us Black American people are not free, we still carry a lot of the negative ways and wear the stereotypes that were instilled in us back during the slavery days. Knowledge of our present and past is the only real key to real freedom.

Buddy_Gilapagos, you asked me what dates do I think would be more significant than Juneteenth??? I really don't know, I can only say for myself is that Juneteenth is very new to me and I am sure that it is new to a whole lot of other people, some that don't know anything or understand anything about Juneteenth. I have studied enough about African American history to know Black people still have a lot to learn about our history and for me I don't intend to use this holiday as a day like the Fourth of July and Memorial day. I hope that people will at least look at this day as a wake up call as to how long it took for this day to become well known??? What else has been pushed under the rugs during the past 150 or so years after slavery??? A WHOLE LOT of significant racially unjust stories that folx don't want us to know that happened during this post slavery era...

After some thought about Juneteenth, I have no plans of using this holiday to party-up!!! For next years Juneteenth holiday, I don't plan to celebrate, I plan to investigate!!! A lot of times when I go into "African American history mode", it makes me very sad and I have to re-group and shake off like right now, my heart is in pain but I will get pass this pain, I thank all for the information that I have found here on OKP today and I will be a better person tomorrow!!! I hope you understand where I am coming from. Do your own thing for Juneteenth & I will do mine !!!

I LUV U 2!!!

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 04:35 PM

26. "Well, after reading these comments & checking out links here..."
In response to Reply # 25

I really put more thought into the real significance of celebrating
Juneteenth. Yes, this was a very relevant time for slaves, just to know that slave masters could not claim ownership of slaves was a blessing. I have seen & heard about lot of the awful events that took place after the slaves were released. Lynching's became more prevalent due to slave owners anger because we did not have to work for free any longer. Since Blacks were no longer slaves, they had no use for us and a lot of the events that took place after slaves gained their freedom were worse and harder than being enslaved. We were released from slavery with nothing but "freedom", no jobs, no schooling, no support from the government. The judicial system was not in our favor at all. I know that the U.S. imported Jewish people to this country and provided housing, education and whatever they needed to become a major, successful part of the White race of people. We had to survive in whatever way we could, I've heard that some ex-slaves stayed on the plantations and continued to work for free because they saw no other alternatives.

I just feel that a lot of Black people might look upon Juneteenth as a day to celebrate like, The Fourth of July or Memorial Day where we kick back, go grab the liquor, drugs, barbequing, music & partying. I have never been a person that is fast to judge a persons way of life. Maybe some people might feel really good about looking forward to a new paid holiday and celebration. Black people have come a very long way since 1865 but we still have a long way to go and should not allow Juneteenth to make us feel like we are truly free and ignore the fact that we still struggle with police brutality and a a justice system that is still not in Black peoples favor. Even in the new millennium we have to protest and fight like hell to get fair justice. Thank God for the internet & phone cameras, through these devices more justice is being served to us!!!

Most of us Black American people are not free, we still carry a lot of the negative ways and wear the stereotypes that were instilled in us back during the slavery days. Knowledge of our present and past is the only real key to real freedom.

Buddy_Gilapagos, you asked me what dates do I think would be more significant than Juneteenth??? I really don't know, I can only say for myself is that Juneteenth is very new to me and I am sure that it is new to a whole lot of other people, some that don't know anything or understand anything about Juneteenth. I have studied enough about African American history to know Black people still have a lot to learn about our history and for me I don't intend to use this holiday as a day like the Fourth of July and Memorial day. I hope that people will at least look at this day as a wake up call as to how long it took for this day to become well known??? What else has been pushed under the rugs during the past 150 or so years after slavery??? A WHOLE LOT of significant racially unjust stories that folx don't want us to know that happened during this post slavery era...

After some thought about Juneteenth, I have no plans of using this holiday to party-up!!! For next years Juneteenth holiday, I don't plan to celebrate, I plan to investigate!!! A lot of times when I go into "African American history mode", it makes me very sad and I have to re-group and shake off like right now, my heart is in pain but I will get pass this pain, I thank all for the information that I have found here on OKP today and I will be a better person tomorrow!!! I hope you understand where I am coming from. Do your own thing for Juneteenth & I will do mine !!!

I LUV U 2!!!

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 05:03 PM

27. "This is nonsense, absolute nonsense"
In response to Reply # 26
Mon Jun-21-21 05:03 PM by MEAT

"I just feel that a lot of Black people might look upon Juneteenth as a day to celebrate like, The Fourth of July or Memorial Day where we kick back, go grab the liquor, drugs, barbequing, music & partying."

What if this is literally the tradition of people that celebrated it and then passed it down to their direct decedents? Over the last 150 plus years?

------

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 06:33 PM

29. "Well, well, well!!!..."
In response to Reply # 27

>What if this is literally the tradition of people that
>celebrated it and then passed it down to their direct
>decedents? Over the last 150 plus years?

**After reading the comments that I have made concerning this holiday you should know that I did not hear anything about Juneteenth until a couple of years ago. The word sounded kind of weird, I knew nothing about it and really didn't try to inquire about it. I think there was a movie a few months ago about Juneteenth, but I surely didn't break my neck to watch it. My sister said that she heard my mother mention the word as a cliche' like, "It will be juneteenth before I do what you're asking me to do." My sister said she laughed because she thought it was just a silly expression that my mother might have just made up to prove her point. My mother never mentioned Juneteenth around me and she was a person that talked about slavery and racism stories from the past all of the time.

I was totally shocked when I found out that Juneteenth was going to be a national paid holiday!!! It seemed really sudden and a lot of questions started popping up in my head like, what is the purpose of making this day and national holiday and are they making this day a national holiday for financial gain because of the loss of money that was suffered during the pandemic??? Why did it take soooo long to make this day a national holiday.

Please celebrate Juneteenth as you wish, maybe I might start preparing for Juneteenth next year with all of the holiday fixings!!! Right about now, I have no desire to pitch a wang-dang-doodle for this holiday. I don't plan to celebrate, just investigate !!!

I LUV U 2!!!

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 06:46 PM

30. "Your ignorance should be a moment to reflect and reconsider"
In response to Reply # 29
Mon Jun-21-21 06:48 PM by MEAT

Instead it’s whatever this is. And it’s offensive.
Stop flattening the history that this day is about and projecting whatever respectability hang ups you have on people that you don’t love.

------

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 07:33 PM

32. "The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire let..."
In response to Reply # 30

the MF'er burn!!! I guess that will probably be you MEAT when the next Juneteenth holiday comes around. I don't know whether or not you know this but We had to physically fight our way through everything to get to where we are today. Maybe if you take off them dancing shoes and put down that liquor and pipe down for a minute, you will know that we have never been able to be a passive race of people, we had to fight our way through with riots and protest & God to get things accomplished. If you do some research, you will find in most cases of the slavery era abuse we suffered, we had no other alternative but physical warfare, but just like Juneteenth, this is another thing in history that has been hid under the rugs. Please don't think that all of the Black people are going to be ready to party with you on the next go-round!! Like me, some people see beyond this sudden love and celebration for Black Lives Matter and want to know more. Partying is great in it's place but don't allow your ignorance to block your eyes from seeing the light. Tune in to the realities of the slavery era...it will make you a better person !!!

I LUV U 2!!!

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 07:57 PM

34. "I’m being sincere when I’m saying how offensive and dismissive "
In response to Reply # 32
Mon Jun-21-21 07:59 PM by MEAT

You’re being.
I can not stress that enough.
Like are you fucking with me or are you genuinely this ignorant.

------

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 10:05 PM

36. "try love..."
In response to Reply # 34

its the brooklyn way

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 08:17 AM

38. "are you Black? "
In response to Reply # 32

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 09:05 AM

39. "I'm so confused...Ima just back away slowly from this whole thread..."
In response to Reply # 38

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 09:27 AM

42. "it reads like one of those posters who ain’t one of us"
In response to Reply # 39

and uses the most stereotypical nonsense to describe how we “celebrate”

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MEAT
22257 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 09:41 AM

44. "What’s even worse is there’s literally nothing wrong with celebratin..."
In response to Reply # 42

Even if the poster is Black
It’s been a historical celebration passed down for over a century and a half.
But now that interlopers want to co opt it they also want to define it?

------

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 09:47 AM

46. "People are weird"
In response to Reply # 44

I never knew what it was but now that I do I want to define it and change it.

cause yall been doing it wrong

everyone wants to lead.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44615 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 09:46 AM

45. "I imagine it's a bit disorienting when one is awoken....."
In response to Reply # 42

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 09:49 AM

48. "haha.. I remember when I found out about Malcolm X"
In response to Reply # 45

and went full XClan in HS.

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 09:52 AM

49. "LMAO! ... i mean...at least you were still an adolescent then..."
In response to Reply # 48

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 10:11 AM

51. "standing for the pledge? not anymore you white devils.. "
In response to Reply # 49

no pork on my fork.. except on Sundays at Grandma’s. lol.

and back in HS I was dipping in the mayo.. I was real Detroit Red with it.

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 01:59 PM

11. "Sounds like your friend was getting the 1619 project mixed up "
In response to Reply # 0

With Juneteenth.

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 03:41 PM

18. "I am pretty sure that a lot of people..."
In response to Reply # 11

didn't know about Juneteenth until recently, I am learning quite a few things here on OKP today, so maybe when my friend comes back, we will be able to discuss this...

I LUV U 2!!!

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13572 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 09:05 AM

20. "Hard to keep 300+ year-old wooden cargo ships floating around"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-21-21 09:13 AM by flipnile

Must be worked on constantly, or are disassembled, removed from the water and reassembled in a museum for preservation.

Where are all of the ships that brought the settlers from Europe to the Americas in the 1700s?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/inside-the-discovery-of-first-artifacts-ever-recovered-from-a-slave-ship/

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 09:42 AM

21. "Exactly. When I was checking information for my post 1 above, I "
In response to Reply # 20

went down a rabbit hole because I was curious if ANY ships from the 17th or 18th century survived. The USS Constitution (1797) is the oldest ship of any type still afloat. The HMS Victory is older, (1765) but is in a dry dock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constitution

The Constitution is currently only made up of 10% of the original timber, because it's been restored and retrofitted numerous times. The nickname "Old Ironsides" is because the white oak used in the hull was extremely tough. At the time, ships only were expected to last 10-15 years.

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 10:37 AM

22. "I appreciate your follow up. Thank you."
In response to Reply # 21

------

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 10:51 AM

23. "ol' ship of theseus looking ass ship"
In response to Reply # 21

"The Constitution is currently only made up of 10% of the original timber,"

uh huh, uh huh, look at you, just parts of what you were, talmbout "I'm 222 years old" FOH ya old dusty ass iron side ass ship.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 09:49 AM

47. "Gunboat Philadelphia. It's in the American History Museum in DC...."
In response to Reply # 20

Go check it out...

https://americanhistory.si.edu/press/fact-sheets/gunboat-philadelphia

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6025 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 10:54 AM

24. "the last known slave ship was found 2 years ago"
In response to Reply # 0

it was also connected to Questlove through direct ancestors and all over the news

what news do you consume where you missed this?

https://www.theroot.com/last-known-u-s-slave-ship-the-clotilda-said-to-have-1835026448

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 05:43 PM

28. "Its no conspiracy. It would probably be only in the last 100 years"
In response to Reply # 0

there would be any interest in preserving something like that.

You would have a hard time find a 300+-year-old outhouse though they were once everywhere.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 07:38 PM

33. "Right. And those outhouses weren’t in the bottom of the ocean. "
In response to Reply # 28

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 07:07 PM

31. "who can explain"
In response to Reply # 0

why it would be easier to find things that were carefully preserved in a dry, airless sanctuary

as opposed to wooden things on the water that wouldn't be kept around once they were decommissioned, assuming they survived that long

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 08:45 PM

35. "this post is nutz nm"
In response to Reply # 0

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 07:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
37. "Cinque, Abdulrahman Ibrahim Sori, Yarmout etc etc"
In response to Reply # 0

Baracoon

Redohshi

This is a bad trend that has caught on from Taj Tarik Bey, the Moorish American movement and all the confusion many of it's off spring have promoted.

Folks saying they ain't African they indigenous and they Aboriginal, Olmec etc etc.

It's embarrassing.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 09:29 AM

43. "Fam I am mad I just googled Taj Tarik Bey"
In response to Reply # 37

The internets was supposed to make people smarter, not dumber.

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 12:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
52. "Yea can't lie I feel for the lie too"
In response to Reply # 43

at one time became he mixes truth with a lie.

Morocco was the first country to observe US as an official nation.

We "Black" people were denationalized and turned into a color like crayons.

All that other stuff is fluff.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jun-24-21 05:45 PM

54. "every time I see this post title I hear this song in my head..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-24-21 05:45 PM by ThaTruth

https://youtu.be/fMayh7FhLGE?t=47

squeeg
Charter member
34484 posts
Fri Jun-25-21 07:29 PM

56. "Every time."
In response to Reply # 54

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Fri Jun-25-21 08:19 PM

57. "Hello Squeeg!!!..."
In response to Reply # 56

I didn't know that you still come to OKP ???

I LUV U 2!!!

squeeg
Charter member
34484 posts
Mon Jun-28-21 06:03 PM

59. "Hey!"
In response to Reply # 57

Yeah, I'm still here. Never left because I'm an extreme creature of habit.

I hope you're doing well.

www.twitter.com/urkelmoedee
www.instagram.com/rapandretrogames
www.albumism.com/search?q=Marcus%20Willis

Return To Zero: A rap radio show hosted by mrhood75 (Spider Jerusalem) and me (UrkelMoeDe

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Tue Jun-29-21 02:45 PM

60. "I'm doing good man!!!"
In response to Reply # 59

🙂 🙂 😎 !!!

I LUV U 2!!!

Tw3nty
Member since Jan 02nd 2007
8466 posts
Mon Jun-28-21 03:25 PM

58. "Repurposed and then retired when no longer needed. "
In response to Reply # 0

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lobby General Discussion topic #13435560 Previous topic | Next topic