Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13435193

Subject: "What Podcasts Are You Listening To?" Previous topic | Next topic
SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Mon Jun-14-21 07:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What Podcasts Are You Listening To?"

What episodes are favs?

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the Midnight Miracle with Chappell and dem
Jun 14th 2021
'What Had Happened Was' with Open Mike Eagle
Jun 14th 2021
What Had Happened Was is great
Jun 14th 2021
I will have to peep that one out again.
Jun 16th 2021
Hood Politics (the one with Prop) is surprisingly on point
Jun 14th 2021
RE: What Podcasts Are You Listening To?
Jun 15th 2021
Jun 15th 2021
split into categories
Jun 16th 2021
The Lowe Post is a must listen for me as well
Jun 25th 2021
Jalen & Jacoby. Cosmic Convos
Jun 16th 2021
I like...
Jun 16th 2021
if u like 90s hiphop, u would enjoy the Fresh Era podcast
Jun 17th 2021
A bunch…not too many celeb pods, mostly people that arent
Jun 17th 2021
Shameless Self-Promo: Can't Knock the Shuffle
Jun 17th 2021
90s State of Mind podcast
Jun 18th 2021
Casefile....Conan Needs A Friend.....BlindSpot: Tulsa
Jun 18th 2021
Just started listening to Blindspot this week.
Jun 18th 2021
      Blindspot 9/11 pairs well with The Looming Tower
Jan 15th 2023
Heat Rocks!
Jun 19th 2021
Dad Bod Rap Pod is pretty great
Jun 19th 2021
A bunch
Jun 20th 2021
its nappyafro,sir
Jun 23rd 2021
Smartless, WTF, The Daily, Rewatchables, Bad Friends
Jun 23rd 2021
You still listen to Rogan?
Oct 14th 2022
      he's not as 'right' as a lot of people think he is, but..
Jan 15th 2023
Jun 25th 2021
Criminal: Breaking In To The FBI episode
Oct 13th 2022
Rabia and Ellyn Solve The Case
Oct 13th 2022
Side List of Favorite This American Life Episodes
Oct 13th 2022
MINES
Oct 13th 2022
Anyone here listen to Red Bar Radio?
Oct 31st 2022
just a few
Oct 31st 2022
I wanted to get into My Expert Opinion.
Nov 01st 2022
it is still me favorite HipHop podcast but i mostly watch it on youtube
Jan 15th 2023
I tend to catch it in clips on YT
Jan 15th 2023
I started listening to MLKTapes yesterday. I am meh on it as of now.
Jan 15th 2023
I started it as soon as it came out but haven’t finished. Super boring...
Jan 16th 2023
      Yea I didn't love it either. Was forcing my way thru it by the end.
Jan 16th 2023
      The ATL Child Murders podcast should have been soo much better.
Jan 17th 2023
Getting into the Raw Room.
Jan 16th 2023
Sweet Bobby is so good.
Feb 23rd 2023
5-4
Feb 23rd 2023

rdhull
Charter member
33131 posts
Mon Jun-14-21 09:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the Midnight Miracle with Chappell and dem"
In response to Reply # 0

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Mon Jun-14-21 10:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "'What Had Happened Was' with Open Mike Eagle "
In response to Reply # 0

Shit is amazing

Been going through all his episodes covering El-P's origin, to Co Flow, to Def Jux, to solo albums, and Run the Jewels.

Plan on going back and running through all the Prince Paul episodes as well

It's really well done.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Mon Jun-14-21 11:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "What Had Happened Was is great"
In response to Reply # 2

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Wed Jun-16-21 10:35 AM

9. "I will have to peep that one out again."
In response to Reply # 2

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Jun-14-21 02:48 PM

4. "Hood Politics (the one with Prop) is surprisingly on point"
In response to Reply # 0

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hood-politics-with-prop/id1493858530

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Tue Jun-15-21 07:46 PM

5. "RE: What Podcasts Are You Listening To?"
In response to Reply # 0

All the Smoke
I Am Athlete
Truth Be Told (mostly the episodes on UFOs and NDEs)
Select episodes of Million Dollaz Worth of Game
The One You Feed

I mostly try to get a sense of different interview styles so I can know how to be better on my own

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23878 posts
Tue Jun-15-21 08:25 PM

6. "RE: What Podcasts Are You Listening To?"
In response to Reply # 0

Camp Hell: Anneewakee (Sick shit, almost like the Atlanta Child Murders)
Juan Ep is Life
Questlove Supreme
The Frocast
Broken Record (when there's an artist I care about)
Giant Bombcast
Thirty Twenty Ten
Knuckleheads
Uhh Yeah Dude
Unquantized
Vidjagame Apocalypse

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Wed Jun-16-21 05:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "split into categories"
In response to Reply # 0

AUTOMATIC LISTEN

Post Reports: Washington Post version of The Daily, little more amateur-ish and tossed off but still good
Giant Bombcast: Video game news and impressions
The Bill Simmons Podcast: Though I do usually skip the football pods and some celebrity interviews, this is the OG pod and I tend to just listen out of habit
The Lowe Post: Basketball pod from Zach Lowe, writer that helped revitalize my love of the sport
My Brother, My Brother and Me: A mockery of the advice column (RIP Yahoo! Answers) and just ridiculous at its peak (Jean Grae was recently a guest!)

Baseball BBQ: The Ringer's sorta humorous baseball pod, good analysis but not overwhelmingly stat driven
The Ringer MLB Show: Basically the opposite, stat-driven but sneaky funny at times
The Daily: Just puts me in a real "I'm waking up and caring about my day" vibe
The Press Box: Kind of a media ombudsman type pod, I've always been weirdly interested in the HOW of journalism which is all this pod is
The Besties: Comedic video game podcast from two Polygon editors and two of the McElroy brothers

Sway: Kara Swisher's NYT podcast, LOTS of big time CEOs on this one and Swisher is hilariously blunt with them
Nextlander: Three former Giant Bomb editors, fairly new but hey, been listening to these dudes for over a decade, why stop now?
Triple Click: Three former Kotaku writers rotate through various styles of video game conversation each week; interesting perspective since one is Jason Schreier from Bloomberg and one of gaming's true "newsmen"

Chapo Trap House: Only just recently got into this pod, always assumed it might be a little too far left for me but it's mostly just stupid fun
The Watch: TV news and analysis, usually one or two shows on watch along rotation as well
Bodega Boys: YKTFV
Fire Escape: Uh, yeah, another Giant Bomb-adjacent pod about that child's play stuff...
The Big Picture: Like The Watch, but movies - the Movie Draft episodes they've been doing in quarantine are particularly excellent
How Did This Get Played?: Three comedians talk the worst video games of all time - and sometimes the best!

OCCASIONAL/SITUATIONAL LISTENING

Unspooled: A common theme around these pods is they are about specific subjects and I usually want to refamiliarize with them - Amy Nicholson and Paul Scheer dissect classic movies, very entertaining but I need to see the movie first

The Rewatchables: Same deal, just Bill Simmons and some combo of The Watch/Big Picture/random guest (Tarantino's been on)
Popcast: NY Times' music pod, I'll usually listen but every once in a while Caramanica picks a topic too niche for me to care
How Did This Get Made?: Truthfully almost never listen because these movies usually aren't the easiest to find, but always a treat when I do

Dissect: As a non-theory music fan, always learn a lot, but this dude is kind of insufferably dry and earnest, it can be hard to hear him at his most RapGenius-like
Still Processing: Jenna Wortham is A LOT, but I really, really like Wesley Morris so if the subject matter doesn't imply too much astrology and essential oils talk I'm game
60 Songs That Explain the 90s: Cool little white guy nostalgia tour, but I don't need 50-70 minutes on certain songs, you know?
The Ringer Music Show: I love Grace Spellman, but Charles Holmes proudly declared Illmatic "one of the most boring albums of all time" so this pod can quickly become a hate listen and I need breaks

WTF W/ Marc Maron: Used to be an automatic listen, back before I discovered all these other podcasts and developed a serious problem...
AV Club Film Club: I like these guys, they just wound up on my secondary tier due to time constraints
The Mismatch: Ringer NBA pod, I usually listen to every episode during the playoffs, transaction season and pre-season but let it slide a bit during the regular season
Restaurant Tales: Hosted by three friends of mine, fun to actually have some people you know in your ear sometimes...but their guests can be hit-or-miss, or I already know all the stories, so not an every pod listen
Restaurant Hoppen: Goofy dude who kisses a lot of industry ass and writes glowing puff pieces about almost every place he goes, yet somehow made himself a bit of a must listen for local service industry folk
Waypoint Radio: Ridiculously woke perspective on video game news and analysis with some fairly niche interests, but I really like these guys generally so when I know the game, am curious for their perspective on a news event it can be some of the more enlightening listens of my week

Effectively Wild: FanGraphs baseball pod that is exceptionally numbers oriented, it's not at its peak when Sam Miller was on but helps me predict trends for MLB The Show's Diamond Dynasty cards and translates daily baseball into actual narratives for me
The Ryen Russillo Podcast: Too much NFL, even in the off-season, for me to listen consistently, but I'll always skip ahead to Life Advice at the very least for a window into lives I couldn't relate to less

SINGLE USE PODS
Binge Mode: Incredibly exhaustive examinations of Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Marvel, etc.
What Had Happened Was: Sort of longform, episodic, hip-hop version of Maron's WTF
Boom/Bust: The Ringer special production examining the rise and fall of HQ. Remember HQ?! Surprisingly interesting and engaging story here
The Wire Way Down in the Hole: Jemele Hill and Van Lathan go episode by episode through The Wire. They're not always right or correct, but their personalities carry this strong
Music Exists: Chuck Klosterman and Chris Ryan lock themselves in a cabin for a weekend and ramble on and on about music fandom and critical analysis - not for everyone, but personally fucking fascinating

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Fri Jun-25-21 12:16 AM

22. "The Lowe Post is a must listen for me as well"
In response to Reply # 7

And I really like Dissect. I haven't listened to all of the seasons but I appreciate how in-depth the analysis is. I do wish Cole showed a bit more emotion. Dry is a good way to describe it.

But I like watching film essays breaking down technical aspects of filmmaking and Dissect seems right in that wheelhouse.

I do wish he would review a non-hip hop album. Or an album not made in the last fifteen years.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Wed Jun-16-21 10:34 AM

8. "Jalen & Jacoby. Cosmic Convos"
In response to Reply # 0

Jalen & Jacoby. To me they have that dont take themselves too seriously but at the same time they have good insight into sports. Particularly with basketball. They call stuff sometimes before it breaks. They subbed in one time for another show and after that I put the other person they subbed for on the backburner.

Cosmic Convos. I post about them on OKP. Anyone who is into psychology, astrology, US politics and what I'll call grand scale history should check it out.

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Wed Jun-16-21 11:37 AM

10. "I like..."
In response to Reply # 0

Throughline
Dateline
This American Life
Work Life with Adam Grant
Heavy Weight
Invisiblilia
Hidden Brain
Endless Thread

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Thu Jun-17-21 10:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "if u like 90s hiphop, u would enjoy the Fresh Era podcast"
In response to Reply # 0

my other music related podcast i enjoy are:
-Questlove Supreme
-People's Party with Talib
- Afropop Worldwide (loads of content on African music and its diaspora)

other blk podcasts i enjoy
- The Stoop
- Still Processing
- Code Switch

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

kingjerm78
Member since Jul 05th 2007
24725 posts
Thu Jun-17-21 01:27 PM

12. "A bunch…not too many celeb pods, mostly people that arent"
In response to Reply # 0

Roy’s Job Fair

The Frocast

Powerlunch Hour

12kyle Pod

Eclectik Discussion Pod

Doc Abraceive Show

Tactless Know It All’s

Glen and Her Pod

Toomuchgame Pod

--------------------------------

one half of the most dynamic tag team on the net...nappyafro's FROCAST!

http://www.frocast.com
www.nappyafro.com
store.nappyafro.com

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6522 posts
Thu Jun-17-21 02:53 PM

13. "Shameless Self-Promo: Can't Knock the Shuffle "
In response to Reply # 0

Just wrapped the second season of my podcast 'Can't Knock the Shuffle' on Mike Eagle's Stony Island Audio Network. I sit with a different artist and we explore the stories behind RANDOMLY selected songs from their catalog. I've posted about it a lot in the Lesson but not GD.

www.cantknocktheshuffle.com

Past guests: Bahamadia, Blueprint, Dante Ross, El Da Sensei, Esthero, Fat Tony, Homeboy Sandman, J-Live, Masta Ace, Murs, Nicolay, Nikki Jean, Open Mike Eagle, Quelle Chris, Rjd2, Sage Francis, Slimkid3 (Pharcyde), Slug (Atmosphere)

www.twitter.com/seandammit

Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3461 posts
Fri Jun-18-21 08:11 PM

14. "90s State of Mind podcast"
In response to Reply # 0

Here's a pretty cool 90s podcast where each episode explores a different 90s album with episodes on Maxwell, Digable Planets, Aaliyah, MJ:

https://www.4everinelectricdreams.com/90s-state-of-mind-podcast.html

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5627 posts
Fri Jun-18-21 09:58 PM

15. "Casefile....Conan Needs A Friend.....BlindSpot: Tulsa"
In response to Reply # 0

Also BlindSpot: 9/11

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Fri Jun-18-21 10:12 PM

16. "Just started listening to Blindspot this week."
In response to Reply # 15

Crushed both the 9.11 season and the available episodes of the Tulsa season in like 28 hours haha.

Both are insanely interesting and eye-opening. And infuriating, most of all.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5627 posts
Sun Jan-15-23 06:33 PM

36. "Blindspot 9/11 pairs well with The Looming Tower"
In response to Reply # 16

on Hulu

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2053 posts
Sat Jun-19-21 07:29 AM

17. "Heat Rocks!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jun-19-21 07:32 AM by ProgressiveSound

It’s dope; deep yet light hearted too. Lots of gems dropped by the hosts and the guests.

https://maximumfun.org/podcasts/heat-rocks/

“Hosted by Oliver Wang and Morgan Rhodes, every episode of Heat Rocks invites a special guest to talk about a heat rock – a hot album, a scorching record. These are in-depth conversations about the albums that shape our lives.

Our guests include musicians, writers, and scholars and though we don’t exclusively focus on any one genre, expect to hear about albums from the worlds of soul, hip-hop, funk, jazz, Latin, and more.

New episodes every Thursday on Apple Podcasts or whatever you get your podcasts.”

Stevie Lee
Member since Aug 17th 2008
1189 posts
Sat Jun-19-21 08:28 AM

18. "Dad Bod Rap Pod is pretty great"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jun-19-21 08:29 AM by Stevie Lee

Good mix of old and new rap talk, with some great interviews. usually not too serious. Their episode with Nine a couple months ago is legendary: https://dadbodrappod.com/2021/03/25/dbrp162/ (e: interview starts at around 37 minutes in)

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28842 posts
Sun Jun-20-21 11:08 AM

19. "A bunch"
In response to Reply # 0

Fiyastarter for stock tips and mature dmv hot takes on these young whippersnappers.

Nappy Afro, wait, I'm boycotting until they put old episodes on spotify and bring back that Michael Jordan fit wearing 1990's video extra choppa suit wearing Saule Wright person. They traded that brotha for dogecoin.

Black Compass Media for battle rap.

Did you miss me? For funny content.

Jim Cornette's podcast for wrestling hot takes.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

kingjerm78
Member since Jul 05th 2007
24725 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 06:49 PM

20. "its nappyafro,sir"
In response to Reply # 19

but thanks for listening...or not

--------------------------------

one half of the most dynamic tag team on the net...nappyafro's FROCAST!

http://www.frocast.com
www.nappyafro.com
store.nappyafro.com

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Wed Jun-23-21 08:03 PM

21. "Smartless, WTF, The Daily, Rewatchables, Bad Friends"
In response to Reply # 0

Whisky Ginger, Rogan, 2 Bears 1 Cave, Tiger Belly

----------

IG @erichrigonan

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Fri Oct-14-22 09:01 AM

28. "You still listen to Rogan?"
In response to Reply # 21

Has he turned as right as I thought after his move to spotify?

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Sun Jan-15-23 05:28 PM

35. "he's not as 'right' as a lot of people think he is, but.."
In response to Reply # 28

he's also not as 'not right' as he thinks he is.

he hasn't really changed as much as some of his recurring guests. no matter what you already thought of people like Peterson, Weinstein, Tulsi, Elon... they've gone pretty far down the rabbit hole since, say, 2017.. but he doesn't seem to see any change in them, as much as reaction to them as being a symptom of the left losing their mind.. so i guess in that sense he's more 'right', but overall he's pretty much the same.

i still listen if he has someone on i'm interested in.

>Has he turned as right as I thought after his move to
>spotify?

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Fri Jun-25-21 12:31 AM

23. "RE: What Podcasts Are You Listening To?"
In response to Reply # 0

SPORTS
* The Athletic NBA Show
* The Daily Ding (The Athletic's NBA recap show)
* House of Strauss
* The Lowe Post
* Brian Windhorst and The Hoop Collective
* The Mina Kimes Show featuring Lenny
* Brother from Another (Michael Smith and Michael Holly - both formally of ESPN and The Boston Globe)
* True Hoop
* Thinking Basketball
* The Andy Staples Show
* The Forum Club (The Athletic's LA Lakers podcast)
* Warriors Plus-Minus (The Athletic's Golden State Warriors podcast)
* All 82 (Another The Athletic Golden State Warriors podcast)

SPIRITUALITY
* Tara Brach
* The Road Ahead with Ethan Nichtern
* The Metta Hour with Sharon Salzberg
* Heart Wisdom Podcast with Jack Kornfield
* Insight Hour with Joseph Goldstein
* The Brown Rice Hour with Konda Mason
* Super Soul

CULTURAL
* Let's Talk Bruh - A podcast on Black Masculinity
* The Barbershop Group
* Fresh Air
* Heat Rocks (a music interview / review podcast)
* Therapy for Black Girls
* This Jungian Life
* Still Processing (although less often recently)

BUSINESS
* The Digital Marketing Podcast

WEB DEVELOPMENT
* Smashing Podcast

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Thu Oct-13-22 11:56 AM

24. "Criminal: Breaking In To The FBI episode "
In response to Reply # 0

This was crazy! A damn nite that says “please don’t lock this door.”

https://thisiscriminal.com/episode-183-breaking-into-the-fbi-2-25-2022/

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Thu Oct-13-22 12:24 PM

25. "Rabia and Ellyn Solve The Case"
In response to Reply # 0

new pod from Rabia from Undisclosed (and notable for bringing Adnan's case to Serial) and Ellyn Marsh (not familiar w/ her but she's funny).

the premise is bringing on celebs who are obsessed with a true crime case and then Rabia and Ellyn "solve" it.

First episode is out and it was celeb free on purpose, but they did the Scott Peterson case (Lacey Peterson murder) which is one of the most famous cases ever and most people are open and shut that Scott did that.

that's what i thought too. NAHHHHHHHHHH, that dude should not be in prison after hearing this.

looking forward to more episodes.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Thu Oct-13-22 01:04 PM

26. "Side List of Favorite This American Life Episodes"
In response to Reply # 0

I really been meaning to do a list of my all time favorite Podcasts. This Thread might have to be it. Starting with the best episodes of my all time favorite Podcast.

Three Miles - Will have you in tears. I emailed the maker of it it was soo good.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/550/three-miles

The Problem We All Live With - Part Two - I can't remember exactly but this might be a follow up to 3 miles. It's again about education and race in the US.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/563/the-problem-we-all-live-with-part-two

Nice White Parents - Ok, not This American Life but But Da Podcast Gawd Chana Joffe-Walt kind of rounds out her Race & Education Trilogy with this one. Might be a bit inside baseball but its in my neighborhood so I was super into it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/podcasts/nice-white-parents-serial.html

One more education TAL episode, not by Joffe-Walt.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/487/harper-high-school-part-one

This is good one on the financial crisis of 08, might seem dated now.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/355/the-giant-pool-of-money

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Thu Oct-13-22 01:12 PM

27. "MINES"
In response to Reply # 0

Accidental Tech Podcast
The Al Franken Podcast
Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend
The Dana Gould Comedy Hour
Darknet Diaries
How Did This Get Maid
Questlove Supreme
Scam Godess
Threedom
The Vergecast
What Am I Doing Here? with Mike Reiss

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Mon Oct-31-22 10:13 AM

29. "Anyone here listen to Red Bar Radio?"
In response to Reply # 0

I stumbled across some clips of the show on Youtube this weekend and it's fairly interesting to say the least. He reminds me of a more aggressive version of Star from Star and Buckwild.

I'm surprised the host hasn't been stomped out by the amount of people he trashes on his show.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13361 posts
Mon Oct-31-22 11:32 PM

30. "just a few"
In response to Reply # 0

Rachel Maddow - Ultra (My first show/podcast of hers that I've consumed. I like it a lot though I wish it went more in-depth)

Podquiz - I absolutely love it, though I can't really listen to it at work and thus I've fallen behind.

At one point both the NYTs 'The Daily' and NPR's 'Marketplace', but I've fallen off for both of them. Regarding 'The Daily', I am at the point where I can't consume anything NYT related because their both-sides coverage infuriates me. Marketplace I still love, but thinking about money/the economy is too stressful for me.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

JFrost1117
23878 posts
Tue Nov-01-22 03:13 PM

31. "I wanted to get into My Expert Opinion."
In response to Reply # 0

The podcast feed is way behind the YouTube schedule, and them shits be 4-5 hours long.

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Sun Jan-15-23 10:01 AM

32. "it is still me favorite HipHop podcast but i mostly watch it on youtube"
In response to Reply # 31
Sun Jan-15-23 10:02 AM by thegodcam

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Sun Jan-15-23 12:34 PM

34. "I tend to catch it in clips on YT"
In response to Reply # 31

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Sun Jan-15-23 11:12 AM

33. "I started listening to MLKTapes yesterday. I am meh on it as of now."
In response to Reply # 0

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

JFrost1117
23878 posts
Mon Jan-16-23 05:03 PM

37. "I started it as soon as it came out but haven’t finished. Super boring..."
In response to Reply # 33

The same team did the ATL Child Murders story which was super dope, so this one was a major disappointment.

Brew
24419 posts
Mon Jan-16-23 10:28 PM

39. "Yea I didn't love it either. Was forcing my way thru it by the end."
In response to Reply # 37

Kept spacing out and having to rewind.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue Jan-17-23 10:32 AM

40. "The ATL Child Murders podcast should have been soo much better. "
In response to Reply # 37

Super fascinating subject that they made somewhat tedious. Really really needed editing down.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

JFrost1117
23878 posts
Mon Jan-16-23 05:07 PM

38. "Getting into the Raw Room."
In response to Reply # 0

In depth football/sports talk with some hilarious niggas. If the YT clips are dope, I’ll go to the full show. Clips are normally 1-3 minutes.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Thu Feb-23-23 10:01 AM

41. "Sweet Bobby is so good."
In response to Reply # 0

You wonder how a woman could get catfished for 10 years but it kinda makes sense.

https://www.tortoisemedia.com/listen/sweet-bobby/

Brew
24419 posts
Thu Feb-23-23 10:27 AM

42. "5-4"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-23-23 10:28 AM by Brew

5-4
- 3 current and/or former lawyers talk about Supreme Court cases that are ruining the world/why the SC sucks. Probably my favorite podcast overall. The hosts are all brilliant and funny.

Know Your Enemy
- an intellectual and critical look at the modern conservative movement

If Books Could Kill
- one of the 5-4 hosts and another guy discuss "airport books" that are lauded by people like Oprah but are, in fact, total bullshit

Buried Truths
- a professor and historian goes in depth about Civil Rights cases

Behind the Bastards
- lighthearted, in-depth breakdowns of the world's horrible people and things

?uestlove Supreme
- obviously

60 Songs That Explain the 90s
- pretty self-explanatory, the host is an unbelievable writer and orator. Absolutely hysterical guy

WTF w/Marc Maron
- I just think that guy is such a sweetheart and a great interviewer

Basic!
- interviews with basic cable characters/hosts/personalities about the 80s and 90s heyday of basic cable (MTV, Comedy Central, etc.)

The Questions
- seandammit's awesome podcast

99% Invisible
- little known stories about pretty much everything

Crate 808
Dad Bod Rap Pod
- two hip hop centric podcasts I check out when they have good guests and/or topics

I listen to several more but these are the ones in regular rotation.
For news or current events/stories I check in on The Daily from NYT and Throughline from NPR from time to time. Reveal is another great investigative pod.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13435193 Previous topic | Next topic