Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13434655

Subject: "POST COVID: Does your city feel less safe these days?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Mon Jun-07-21 04:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: POST COVID: Does your city feel less safe these days?"

Man you watch New York local news these days and they are definitely painting the picture of this city sliding back to the bad old days of rampant crime everywhere.

The problem is I can't trust the media (especially not Murdoch's NYPost or Fox News) who may have an agenda of painting the city as being crime ridden in order to give BLM a black eye and let the police run wild. Like this weekend the cops came through Washington Square Park bashing heads saying the park was getting to crazy.

https://abc7ny.com/new-york-city-washington-square-park-closing-early-violence/10757701/

IDK. I think republicans know that the area of biggest vulnerability to Dems and left leaning politicians is crime and I think the NYPost knows this and is trying to hammer into people's head the city ain't safe no more.

But then you read stories like this. SMH.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/07/us/queens-new-york-shooting-boy/index.html

What you think?

Poll result (24 votes)
Nope. Feels the same. (9 votes)Vote
Yes. Feels less safe. (15 votes)Vote
Actually, it feels safer. (0 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Homicides are up
Jun 07th 2021
i dont feel less safe personally but people are wildin out here
Jun 07th 2021
Shootings (and homocides) are at 90s levels. Carjackings up too...
Jun 07th 2021
Not at 90s levels.
Jun 07th 2021
Philly Is Having a Bad Year
Jun 08th 2021
All the stats say homicides are up but I feel safe
Jun 07th 2021
I know that statisically it's less safe. But it feels the same to me
Jun 07th 2021
key word for me is FEELS.. and it doesn’t feel less safe
Jun 08th 2021
Yeah I should have made clear I know what the statistic say
Jun 08th 2021
      I think its clear in the OP but I wonder
Jun 08th 2021
It's unsafe out here period
Jun 08th 2021
I hear you. I guess I am wondering are we at 2000 levels or 90s levels
Jun 08th 2021
I'm in my park all the time
Jun 08th 2021
It doesn’t seem possible to return to the 90s
Jun 08th 2021
I wonder about this all the time.
Jun 08th 2021
Let me say this first. I'm in Chicago.
Jun 08th 2021
this is it in a nutshell for me
Jun 08th 2021
I got in two confrontations recently in my neighborhood
Jun 08th 2021
      Its good that you see it.
Jun 08th 2021
I don't go out as much - so the same
Jun 08th 2021
MOMs gave me an update
Jun 11th 2021
It’s been feeling like the battlegrounds for niggas not from here.
Jun 08th 2021
unemployment extra money will stop soon
Jun 08th 2021
Atl is tripping.
Jun 08th 2021
Philly is out of control.....
Jun 08th 2021
Philly cops making yall choose between safety and accountability too?
Jun 09th 2021
      Philly PD is very understaffed compared to the NYPD
Jun 11th 2021
      Same deal in Bmore
Jun 12th 2021
I feel absolutely the same (ATL). I know that’s not the widely held
Jun 09th 2021
they out here stabbing pregnant women.
Jun 09th 2021
I feel the same
Jun 10th 2021
not so much post covid but ive never seen homelessness ln LA this bad
Jun 10th 2021
Yup.
Jun 10th 2021
      Yeah, man it's the unpredictability
Jun 10th 2021
           apparently many cities/towns bus their homeless out of town.
Jun 22nd 2021
I've been giving people a wide birth. We're not well right now
Jun 10th 2021
Road rage is the main one for me
Jun 11th 2021
Were people always airing it out in broad day like this?
Jun 22nd 2021

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Jun-07-21 04:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Homicides are up"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-07-21 04:58 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Homicide rates in large cities were up more than 30 percent on average last year, and up another 24 percent for the beginning of this year, according to criminologists.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/01/us/shootings-in-us.html

Homicides were a notable exception, however, with almost every major city in the United States seeing large increases in 2020. In Chicago and several other cities, last year was the worst year for killings since the mid-1990s.

Homicides in Portland, Ore., rose to 53 from 29, up more than 82 percent; in Minneapolis, they grew to 79 from 46, up almost 72 percent; and in Los Angeles the number increased to 351 from 258, a 36 percent climb, according to statistics analyzed by Jeff Asher, a former crime analyst for the New Orleans Police Department.

Homicides in Philadelphia are up almost 28 percent, with 170 through May 9, compared with 133 in the same period last year; in Tucson, Ariz., the number jumped to 30 from 17 through May 13, an increase of 76 percent.

In New York, there were seven homicides over Memorial Day weekend this year versus eight last year, according to the Police Department, whose statistics indicated that killings were up 23 percent through May 23, to 165 from 134.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Mon Jun-07-21 05:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i dont feel less safe personally but people are wildin out here"
In response to Reply # 0

post-covid so i dont blame anyone that does. a year inside has not done us well when it comes to the unspoken respect and threat of violence between each other

<--- Big Baller World Order

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13572 posts
Mon Jun-07-21 05:31 PM

3. "Shootings (and homocides) are at 90s levels. Carjackings up too..."
In response to Reply # 0

It feels a bit less safe. A lot more non-thugs getting shot the past year.

Philadelphia.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22104 posts
Mon Jun-07-21 07:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Not at 90s levels."
In response to Reply # 3

In my area, Minneapolis, all categories are up considerably, but they're about 2005 levels according to the stats I've seen.

The thing is, for all the talk during the Trump admin, pre-pandemic, about how strong the economy was, walking around my city and any major city, you could see that shit was a lie. I haven't ever seen as many people out on the street, hustling, drunk, high, homeless, just loitering at 11pm, as I did in 2019/2020. You could see this crime increase coming a fucking mile away. And then throw in a fucking global pandemic? This is America.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 06:29 AM

7. "Philly Is Having a Bad Year "
In response to Reply # 3

as far as shootings are concerned.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Mon Jun-07-21 05:47 PM

4. "All the stats say homicides are up but I feel safe"
In response to Reply # 0

I’m in San Diego and the bigger issue for us is the increase in the homeless rather than homicides.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22104 posts
Mon Jun-07-21 07:58 PM

6. "I know that statisically it's less safe. But it feels the same to me"
In response to Reply # 0

personally.
Which is less safe than 2015, but about the same as 2019.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79585 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 07:11 AM

8. "key word for me is FEELS.. and it doesn’t feel less safe"
In response to Reply # 0

when I go uptown or ride around

but talking to my barber and other people in the shop they say its less safe and kids are wildin’

I’m not partying or out late night unless its dinner and a drink at a lounge spot. We dont do clubs anymore.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 08:21 AM

11. "Yeah I should have made clear I know what the statistic say"
In response to Reply # 8

but I am wondering how people are experiencing the city and how they FEEL.

My wife feels less safe and that's mainly because there are more homeless people wandering around and our neighborhood got a lot dirtier. More trash everywhere.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 10:40 AM

17. "I think its clear in the OP but I wonder"
In response to Reply # 11

how many people FEEL less safe vs hearing its less safe and letting that drive their emotions.

Personally it doesn’t feel less safe to me but then I hear people talk about how wild it is out there and that impacts my emotions.

Wife and I got a hotel uptown a month ago and walked the city at night and we didn’t feel scared or unsafe..

but I have to add I worked at homeless shelters in college so homeless people don’t scare me like most folks. I’m not stupid or naive when navigating these streets at night but seeing homeless people doesn’t trigger me like it may trigger others.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 07:38 AM

9. "It's unsafe out here period"
In response to Reply # 0

If you do not grasp how emboldened lowlifes and mentally ill folks feel right now in NYC then you aren't moving around in NYC. Do something as basic as taking your child to a park you will see and feel the difference.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 08:24 AM

12. "I hear you. I guess I am wondering are we at 2000 levels or 90s levels"
In response to Reply # 9

Assuming we aren't at 80s levels.

NY had gotten to the point where you really didn't need street smarts at all to move around the city. You could go jogging with headphones at 3AM.

Now it feels like people are learning again not to turn your back to that crazy guy on the subway platform.

I am wondering how bad its going to get.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 10:56 AM

22. "I'm in my park all the time"
In response to Reply # 9

At night / in the day

Kids having a great time in there (some of them are whiling the fuck out I'll give you that, kids screaming profanities and threatening to have their brother shoot out their house then hugging it out etc.)

And I do have a lot of tecatos / junkies in my area due to methadone clinics and a small open air drug market

I may be lucky but I feel like the violence I see elsewhere is not around here yet

shockvalue
Charter member
561 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 07:53 AM

10. "It doesn’t seem possible to return to the 90s"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-08-21 08:05 AM by shockvalue

Thanks to technology/surveillance/cameras.

The average person is trading the ability to get away with serious crimes for the desire to have a cellphone, and the desire to not wear a mask outside at all times. Not everyone understands this however, and people do dumb shit, so it’s not a perfect deterrent.

Also for the subset of premeditated gang crimes, that unsolved coordinated Miami mass shooting show how criminals adapt. Masks, time discipline, destroyed the car. I doubt those guys had cell phones (they’d likely have already been caught).

I started wondering recently, by what date will it be true that people still wearing masks outside are suspicious? Because criminals would be smart to keep wearing them indefinitely.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 08:58 AM

13. "I wonder about this all the time. "
In response to Reply # 10

Besides all the surveillance and technology, people are not carrying around wads of cash like they use to. I saw a lady waiting for the bus yesterday with a new HP Laptop box poking out of a best buy bag. It was the most dangerous thing I've seen someone do out in public in a minute. For the most part, its not that easy to make money off of robbing someone like it was back in the day.

The risk reward is so different than it was back in the day.

I will admit even as I see all the statistic on the uptick of crime, how much of it actually involves tax paying civilians versus people already in the life. I feel like people can tolerate a lot of violence just not random violence.

napturalmystic
Member since Feb 15th 2006
6542 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 09:20 AM

14. "Let me say this first. I'm in Chicago. "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-08-21 09:26 AM by napturalmystic

I know where to go, I know where not to go. My neighborhood is being gentrified right now. I am very aware that hell is around the corner. In Chicago, anybody can get it. Shots ring out the same all over the city now. That's new.

I feel less safe but not because where I'm located, its pretty quiet and I can walk for miles unbothered. I live on University of Chicago campus, blocks away from Obamas home and about 1.5 miles from O Block where Lil Durk and King Von grew up.

I feel less safe because I recognize a shift in everyone, something cracked in most people over the last year. Whether people are willing to admit it or not. People either had the tools to manage the fissures or they full on broke. You never know what will set people off these days.

--------------------------

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 10:12 AM

15. "this is it in a nutshell for me"
In response to Reply # 14

>
>I feel less safe because I recognize a shift in everyone,
>something cracked in most people over the last year. Whether
>people are willing to admit it or not. People either had the
>tools to manage the fissures or they full on broke. You never
>know what will set people off these days.
>

<--- Big Baller World Order

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 10:51 AM

20. "I got in two confrontations recently in my neighborhood"
In response to Reply # 14

both about personal space

Type of shit had me yelling down the block / in the shopping center like a crazy person

Gotta say that tension is not normal for me

A lot of the fissures you are talking about I have externalized through these months, but when it surfaces in me it's surprising

napturalmystic
Member since Feb 15th 2006
6542 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 02:03 PM

24. "Its good that you see it. "
In response to Reply # 20

Most people don't see it until they are doing something far out of character. We have all been through a traumatic year. Its not something we should take lightly.

--------------------------

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 10:31 AM

16. "I don't go out as much - so the same"
In response to Reply # 0

I also don't watch local news.

Homelessness is much more visible now - but I'm not sure if that means more homeless necessarily or if they are not arresting people for being homeless now. And they've set-up areas in more visible locations for homeless people to be.

Graffiti seems UP, but that goes in cycles. The taggers who have a work ethic will age out of it and we'll get lazy taggers back.

But the 'ruling' by a federal judge in san Diego last week that said the assault rifle ban is illegal - if that stands - boy howdy is crime going UP.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Fri Jun-11-21 09:50 AM

34. "MOMs gave me an update"
In response to Reply # 16

She lives downtown San Diego and she says the number of homeless people is at least DOUBLE than it was a few years ago.

Probably caused by placing services downtown during COVID - but she bought pepper spray.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23880 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 10:41 AM

18. "It’s been feeling like the battlegrounds for niggas not from here."
In response to Reply # 0

“Let’s go to Atlanta and settle this shit!”

The lil girl that got hit by a stray at Lenox in a shootout between some dudes from South Carolina.

I think that King Von kid got killed over some Chicago beef here.

My cousin was murdered last week but it’s looking random right now.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 10:49 AM

19. "unemployment extra money will stop soon"
In response to Reply # 0

crime and homelessness will go up

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 10:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "Atl is tripping."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't feel much different,but more concerned about my peoples. there's definitely been a rise in robberies, car jackings, and shootings.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

KnowOne
Charter member
39944 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 11:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "Philly is out of control....."
In response to Reply # 0

night and day difference from pre Covid/BLM Protests

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Wed Jun-09-21 11:33 AM

25. "Philly cops making yall choose between safety and accountability too?"
In response to Reply # 23

I really want to see New York purge all cops who believe that they can't protect and serve without the ability to operate without accountability.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13572 posts
Fri Jun-11-21 09:30 AM

33. "Philly PD is very understaffed compared to the NYPD"
In response to Reply # 25

If you compare the number of cops per square mile of each city, the disparity really pops out. Not much actual patrol here, they mainly focus on hot spots, responding to calls and profiling cars looking for warrants/dealer drugs/guns.

It's kinda dope on one level because the cops generally leave taxpayers alone, but it's also wack because they leave us alone. Good luck calling and getting a squad car to come around for anything less than violent crimes.

That was pre-covid. Now, it's even more lax.

Triptych
Charter member
30124 posts
Sat Jun-12-21 10:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
36. "Same deal in Bmore"
In response to Reply # 25

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Wed Jun-09-21 04:10 PM

26. "I feel absolutely the same (ATL). I know that’s not the widely held "
In response to Reply # 0

Notion but I honestly don’t feel any less safe.

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Wed Jun-09-21 08:59 PM

27. "they out here stabbing pregnant women."
In response to Reply # 26

it's a mess.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Jun-10-21 01:03 PM

28. "I feel the same"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-10-21 01:05 PM by infin8

but I can see a rise in petty crimes. I feel like cats have gotten a little BOLD

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Thu Jun-10-21 01:38 PM

29. "not so much post covid but ive never seen homelessness ln LA this bad"
In response to Reply # 0

and we've always had a huge homeless problem but you can't go a few blocks without either a mini skid row, or just random homeless folks posted up or sleeping.

and since so much of it is mental illness and drugs, or both, there's always some crazy shit going on. I don't know how many times a day the citizen app drops a "man swinging sword" blocks away from me. they generally keep to themselves, though I've had the occasional run in.

and since we're under Dem leadership, it contributes to the overall political divisions. For the record I couldn't tell you if Newsom and Garcetti are to blame or not, but it is their watch. I have to assume if this spike happened under repub leadership i'd be shitting on them for this.

Other than that, I personally feel the same. I have no doubt more shit will pop off after people have been locked down a year plus in our internet bubbles and getting angrier at each other. You hear horrific stories like that 6 year old kid that got shot on the freeway, but I can't act like this kind of thing is new to LA. Most people I interact with in public seem the same.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43743 posts
Thu Jun-10-21 03:02 PM

30. "Yup."
In response to Reply # 29

I live near the LA river, and by and large it's fine - but those with mental illness or/and drug habits can make a normal situation really dicey. There's a dude who, 80% of the time is totally chill and keeps to himself - but I've seen him literally screaming at people for nothing while charging at them and swinging.

The homeless situation is REALLY complex and bad - but I don't know what you do about it. The tents and such don't really bother me too much - but I'm not about the feeling like I may get charged at by a meth head.

My wife has taken to carrying pepper spray on normal neighborhood walks, which sucks. But here in Atwater Village...things are real weird. I drove over to Hollywood for something and it's gnarly over there.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Thu Jun-10-21 04:33 PM

31. "Yeah, man it's the unpredictability"
In response to Reply # 30

I'm still WFH but i work in Hollywood normally. My co-worker went for a lunch time walk and disappeared for a few hours. Then just showed up all confused with a big as knot on his head. Last thing he remembered was walking by an encampment.

Another dude a couple weeks ago kinda not so much ran up on me, but accused me of following him. He didn't square up or anything but i don't know he's capable of if that's where his heads at

Then there are all these little fires everywhere. I don't what percentage of days cops/fire/paramedics day are spent dealing with homeless stuff. it seems to take up a good chunk.

but yeah, its complicated and i don't have the answers. it's def going in the wrong direction though

RandomFact
Member since Dec 10th 2005
8710 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 10:22 PM

38. "apparently many cities/towns bus their homeless out of town. "
In response to Reply # 31

and la is a popular destination.

no idea what the actual inflow numbers are and how true this still is. also no idea what the solution is.

but yeah, i live in mid-wilshire and things have definitely changed in the past two years. gotta be aware of your surroundings every time you step out.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Thu Jun-10-21 05:19 PM

32. "I've been giving people a wide birth. We're not well right now"
In response to Reply # 0

Road rage? I'm not fuckin w/it

Someone in the store w/a Black Rifle Coffee tee nose-donging his mask, itching for someone to say some shit? I'm not fuckin with it

Homeless dudes living in tents in the park where my kids play? I'm not fuckin with it

I'm not reallyf more afraid of criminals or anything - I'm just feeling a general vibe of a lot more 'regular' middle class and working class folks out there looking for a reason to start shit. There's a lot of pent up anger and resentment in a lot of directions right now, and I'm doing my best to keep my head on a swivel and dodge that if at all possible.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Fri Jun-11-21 10:07 AM

35. "Road rage is the main one for me"
In response to Reply # 32

I used to try and catch up to shitty drivers to give them the wtf stare..

fuck that shit tho

Last 5 years or so I been on some “you got it bro” when I see people driving crazy af.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 06:04 PM

37. "Were people always airing it out in broad day like this?"
In response to Reply # 0

Shootings were always a night time thing in my mind.
It seems like I'm seeing a whole bunch of day time shoot outs and ambushes on the nightly news lately

Lobby General Discussion topic #13434655 Previous topic | Next topic