Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13434387

Subject: "Did people get rich from the crack game at it's peak?" Previous topic | Next topic
double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 11:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Did people get rich from the crack game at it's peak?"
Thu Jun-03-21 11:55 AM by double negative

I was just thinking about this.

Imagine:

A middle or upper-middle class family. The house is extremely nice. The kids have gone to college. For all appearances, things are pretty great. The thing is...everyone in the family knows not to talk about the "good old days" or ask dad how they got money.

OR

A similar situation but everyone and I mean everyone knows how the money was made, but the law can't touch them...but its still out in the open.

Like most of the people here, I grew up in the crack era. I also remember the stories of dealers who were making 10k or more a day.
Obviously, the formula most people in that situation observed was "live fast, die young" or "live for today" - but, I am wondering if there were people who secured the bag and walked away rich and managed to stay rich or turned that money into a legit situation or got richer after flipping the money into legitimate ventures

or... is everyone from that time on the dealing side dead, in jail or worse off than before?

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i have one story of a family member coming out better
Jun 03rd 2021
I used to beg my friend to open a record store with his money
Jun 03rd 2021
George H.W. Bush
Jun 03rd 2021
of course there is that angle, Im talking about the foot soldiers
Jun 03rd 2021
went to highschool with a cat who rolled with a crew of known high rolle...
Jun 03rd 2021
these are the stories I want to know about.
Jun 03rd 2021
      yeah i think stories like mine are the exception and not the rule...
Jun 03rd 2021
           I think there tons of these stories but that the secret of their success...
Jun 03rd 2021
Maybe these don't qualify as "foot soldiers," but weren't Murder Inc., ....
Jun 03rd 2021
behind every fortune there's a crime (c) tical
Jun 03rd 2021
BMF too
Jun 03rd 2021
      they were bound to get caught.
Jun 04th 2021
So overall, no.
Jun 03rd 2021
so like life then. 99% dont get rich.
Jun 03rd 2021
      damn skippy
Jun 03rd 2021
           it's like making it to the pros.
Jun 03rd 2021
                RE: it's like making it to the pros.
Jun 03rd 2021
                     thats how my barber is
Jun 03rd 2021
Baltimore was more heroin than crack but yeah
Jun 03rd 2021
Was heroin the constant "main" drug in Baltimore?
Jun 06th 2021
      For the most part
Jun 06th 2021
      was, is, and will be (so long as it remains cheaper than pills)
Jun 07th 2021
Some of the old-timers that moved weight & invested did well
Jun 04th 2021
Theres a couple Soul Food spots in town
Jun 07th 2021
I know of people that flipped money into stuff like barbershops, clubs.....
Jun 07th 2021

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 12:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "i have one story of a family member coming out better"
In response to Reply # 0

got picked up
snitched on the opposition
did his time and never said a word about his affiliation
came home and got rewarded

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 12:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I used to beg my friend to open a record store with his money"
In response to Reply # 0

and he always said “how would I justify where the money came from?”

me: nigga how would you justify where it came from right now?

he woulda had a nice 10 year run before napster hit.

another friend kinda made it out the game with profits but someone told me he was on the local news in the area a few years back and he doesn’t even live here.. lmao.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 12:22 PM

3. "George H.W. Bush"
In response to Reply # 0

nm

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

double negative
22151 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 12:58 PM

5. "of course there is that angle, Im talking about the foot soldiers "
In response to Reply # 3

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10143 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 12:51 PM

4. "went to highschool with a cat who rolled with a crew of known high rolle..."
In response to Reply # 0

he opened a salon for his girlfriend who he later married and he opened a barbershop and maybe 1 or 2 other small businesses... everyone knew his affiliations and how his crew got down.

another cat, this one a childhood friend linked up with some other guys at A&T and they all put in 5k from school refunds and copped many lbs and a good amount of soft white some of which they cheffed up. my homie owns 2 restaurants now and from what i understand his crimees have invested in realestate, strip clubs, group homes, small used car dealerships etc. lotta niggas came up for sure

double negative
22151 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 01:01 PM

6. "these are the stories I want to know about. "
In response to Reply # 4

the unending story when it comes to the drug game is that its insta-death, insta-jail time, etc.

but, I always wonder...some of these people had to have gotten in and out or were smart to think about the big picture.

mikediggz
10143 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 01:54 PM

8. "yeah i think stories like mine are the exception and not the rule..."
In response to Reply # 6

i know SEVERAL people (many from my own hood) who started dealing and became addicted and eventually full blown addicts. others got washed for football numbers and some died. it was a ruff game, i knew i wasnt cut out for it

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 02:56 PM

10. "I think there tons of these stories but that the secret of their success..."
In response to Reply # 8

they laid low and quietly made the transition.

Like if you were out here bragging about how you turned crack money into legitimate money you'd be taken down in 10 seconds (which is what I think happened to Murder Inc.).

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 01:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Maybe these don't qualify as "foot soldiers," but weren't Murder Inc., ...."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-03-21 01:23 PM by Brew

... Death Row, Roc-A-Fella, and like every major hip hop label from the 90s and possibly beyond funded by crack money from one or two people who were deep in the game ?

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

mikediggz
10143 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 01:58 PM

9. "behind every fortune there's a crime (c) tical"
In response to Reply # 7

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8049 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 05:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "BMF too"
In response to Reply # 7

they bought air time on cable tv and ran recruitment commercials. arguably indirectly launched the xth wave of hip hop (trap) via young jeezy. so influential and massively successful until they got popped. where is the prestige tv BMF series?!

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Fri Jun-04-21 11:33 AM

20. "they were bound to get caught."
In response to Reply # 17

way too flashy. you could see them in the clubs. see the line of cars jammed on Peachtree street and at Lenox. they were not shy and basically asking to get popped.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 03:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "So overall, no."
In response to Reply # 0

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85067 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 03:04 PM

12. "so like life then. 99% dont get rich. "
In response to Reply # 11

<--- Big Baller World Order

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 03:05 PM

13. "damn skippy"
In response to Reply # 12

its a zero sum game

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 05:01 PM

15. "it's like making it to the pros. "
In response to Reply # 13

some will get there. most won't.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 05:13 PM

16. "RE: it's like making it to the pros. "
In response to Reply # 15

>some will get there. most won't.

and from these accounts, those who made it out with some bread still, simply invested in other things but still had to hustle in those things..that aint rich

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85067 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 05:22 PM

18. "thats how my barber is"
In response to Reply # 16

ran the streets in his 20s, got his shop when he was in his 30s

met him at this point when i was 9, im 30 now.

started buying other property and putting money in other businesses. i wouldnt say he's rich now but he's comfortable. thursday-saturdays are his money days for the shop but if i pop in there on a Tuesday or Wednesday he's sitting up in there playing Madden or watching some bullshit TV chilling.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Thu Jun-03-21 03:43 PM

14. "Baltimore was more heroin than crack but yeah"
In response to Reply # 0

I’m related to a lot of those scenarios.

Not everybody was that rich but if you know you know

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13572 posts
Sun Jun-06-21 10:52 AM

21. "Was heroin the constant "main" drug in Baltimore?"
In response to Reply # 14

Heroin (and meth) were always constants in some hoods in Philly, but crack really swept through and became the drug of the streets here in the late 80s/early 90s. Now it seems like heroin (really fentanyl) is back in that #1 spot, especially if you add-in all with all the opiod pills.

Always wondered why I didn't see more crack on The Wire (not that that show is a real source of info, just something I noticed).

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Sun Jun-06-21 11:38 AM

22. "For the most part"
In response to Reply # 21

crack was sold but the big names who got rich and branched off built it from heroin.

And not for nothing, I won't say the Wire is "accurate," but it's accurate in the sense of the references they make.

David Simon mixed up a few of the names and events for the sake of the show, but if you know, you'll know who Stringer Bell is referencing and who Avon Barksdale is referencing, so on and so forth.

The Barksdale last name holds weight if you're older. I don't know if these young dudes hold that name in that regard still. Dante Barksdale was running a program to cut down gun violence in his later years and was doing some real work in Baltimore until he was killed.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Mon Jun-07-21 11:17 AM

25. "was, is, and will be (so long as it remains cheaper than pills)"
In response to Reply # 21

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13572 posts
Fri Jun-04-21 09:38 AM

19. "Some of the old-timers that moved weight & invested did well"
In response to Reply # 0

They own reputable businesses and property now. They probably make up like such a tiny fraction of all the folks that worked in the crack industry tho. Probably very few corner boys did well in the long run. What I've noticed in Philly.

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Mon Jun-07-21 09:09 AM

23. "Theres a couple Soul Food spots in town"
In response to Reply # 0

That were directly funded by that crack money.
Its really no secrets about that though. I dont see how its any different than the Kennedys making all of that money during prohibition.

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Jun-07-21 10:05 AM

24. "I know of people that flipped money into stuff like barbershops, clubs....."
In response to Reply # 0

liquor stores, etc. That's out front I have no idea what their real estate portfolio or bank accounts look like but they seem comfortable.

That's the thing, the people that did it right nobody will really know. Half the time the younger generations of the family don't know.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13434387 Previous topic | Next topic