Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13433805

Subject: "Amazon buys MGM for $8.45 billion" Previous topic | Next topic
luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Wed May-26-21 12:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Amazon buys MGM for $8.45 billion"

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/26/22441644/amazon-mgm-acquisition-prime-video-subscription-service-james-bond

Amazon has reached a deal to acquire the film and TV company MGM for $8.45 billion, the companies announced today. It’s a significant acquisition for the e-commerce giant, and it means it will own a library of content that’s reported to consist of around 4,000 films and 17,000 hours of TV. The acquisition is likely to help Amazon attract even more big-spending Prime subscribers as its Prime Video service competes with the likes of Netflix and Disney Plus.

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I guess this means Prime membership is going up again this year
May 26th 2021
yup.
May 26th 2021
i dont even know what i pay for it at this point lol
May 27th 2021
      I pay $119
May 29th 2021
           chk your inbox
May 29th 2021
Ted Turner is still a G
May 26th 2021
Ted Turner where ya at! - James Brown
May 27th 2021
Hahahaha.
May 27th 2021
Doesn't MGM own those James bond films? How that gonna work out?
May 29th 2021
I can't wrap my head around the justification.
May 26th 2021
exclusivity on content...every single entity in streaming are combining
May 26th 2021
oh no, I get the reasons, I'm saying....
May 27th 2021
Ha! And I was just thinking this makes so much sense.
May 26th 2021
A possible secondary justification - outtakes from "The Apprentice?" (sw...
May 27th 2021
      lordt. That would be amazing if that content were actually out there.
May 27th 2021
i wish they'd buy the rest of Bond from the Broccoli family
May 26th 2021
under Amazon, MGM = More Gulag Money
Jun 06th 2021

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Wed May-26-21 12:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I guess this means Prime membership is going up again this year"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Wed May-26-21 12:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "yup."
In response to Reply # 1
Wed May-26-21 12:46 PM by tariqhu

I'm good with it for now, even though I generally never do amazon for anything beyond shopping.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Thu May-27-21 07:51 PM

13. "i dont even know what i pay for it at this point lol"
In response to Reply # 1

but i use the fuck out of it

<--- Big Baller World Order

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Sat May-29-21 09:33 AM

14. "I pay $119"
In response to Reply # 13

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10145 posts
Sat May-29-21 10:48 AM

16. "chk your inbox"
In response to Reply # 14

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Wed May-26-21 01:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Ted Turner is still a G"
In response to Reply # 0

This deal still doesnt include pre 86 MGM movies (Wizard of OZ, Gone with the Wind, Singing in The Rain)
i would nerd out here but....not the place

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Thu May-27-21 11:27 AM

8. "Ted Turner where ya at! - James Brown "
In response to Reply # 3

squeeg
Charter member
34484 posts
Thu May-27-21 06:47 PM

12. "Hahahaha."
In response to Reply # 8

Errol Walton Barrow
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
6186 posts
Sat May-29-21 10:44 AM

15. "Doesn't MGM own those James bond films? How that gonna work out?"
In response to Reply # 3

No Connery bond on Amazon?

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed May-26-21 02:41 PM

4. "I can't wrap my head around the justification. "
In response to Reply # 0

what I mean is...they thought this was a good enough deal to purchase, which means they ran the numbers and expect to make a projected sum of billions down the road

what that projected sum is, is the part I can't seem to understand because it must be a mountain of money

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Wed May-26-21 03:43 PM

5. "exclusivity on content...every single entity in streaming are combining "
In response to Reply # 4

why would this be different?
catalogue was available since Feb with various bids

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

double negative
22151 posts
Thu May-27-21 12:16 PM

10. "oh no, I get the reasons, I'm saying...."
In response to Reply # 5

the projected sums of money TO BE EARNED are so the fuck far out of a realm of understanding for my smooth brain

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Wed May-26-21 04:08 PM

6. "Ha! And I was just thinking this makes so much sense. "
In response to Reply # 4
Wed May-26-21 04:18 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

Old School Content Players are consolidating. Look at this chart and remember what you know about the laws of gravity.

https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/media-universe-1.png?w=681&h=383&crop=1

When you look at it it seems clear that the tech companies should be gobbling up the much smaller (content) companies (because they live on content and they have so much f'ing money). This chart is old but already you see Discovery has been sucked up into ATT and the MGM library is too small to be out there floating alone all by itself.

AMC and Liongates are no brainers and it will probably happen in the wake of this.....unless we had an anti-trust justice department worth a damn to step in and say all this consolidation is terrible for consumers.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Thu May-27-21 11:35 AM

9. "A possible secondary justification - outtakes from "The Apprentice?" (sw..."
In response to Reply # 4

This is hilarious.

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-mgm-and-outtakes-from-the-apprentice-heres-what-to-know/

Amazon has just signed a deal to purchase Hollywood studio MGM, and it remains to be seen exactly what the tech giant will do with the studio's portfolio of movies and TV shows. Comedian Stephen Colbert has a suggestion.

Since MGM's portfolio includes The Apprentice, a reality show that starred Donald Trump, the late-night TV host mused Tuesday that Amazon might have access to the outtakes from the show. People involved in the show have said the clips include racist and sexist comments by the former president.

During his Late Show, Colbert wondered if Amazon would release the outtakes as a next move in an ongoing feud between Trump and Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, who announced earlier this year that he would hand over the his leadership role to Andy Jassy. On Wednesday, Bezos set the date as July 5.

The Bezos-Trump feud has involved a tweet by the Amazon boss saying he'd save a space on a rocket to send Trump into space. (Bezos owns the space company Blue Origin.) It's also featured accusations that Trump's animus was behind Amazon being shut out of a valuable government contract, which is the subject of an ongoing lawsuit. Trump, meanwhile, has criticized the Bezos-owned Washington Post, accused Amazon of not paying enough taxes and suggested that Amazon's employees go on "a really long strike."

A cast member from The Apprentice claimed that Trump used the N-word while on set during the show's 13-year run. The show's creator and producer, Mark Burnett, and MGM said in a joint statement in 2016 that Burnett was contractually prohibited from releasing the show's outtakes and that MGM also had contractual obligations that "restrict" the company's ability to release the outtakes.

Trump didn't respond to a request for comment. Amazon declined to comment for this story.

"MGM Studios owns The Apprentice and all its materials, including all footage," said MGM in a statement, adding that "various contractual and legal requirements restrict MGM's ability to release such material."

At Amazon's annual shareholder meeting on Wednesday, Bezos painted the MGM acquisition as a win for "people who love stories," and said the giant e-tailer will keep building on the studio's intellectual property.

"We can reimagine and develop that IP for the 21st century," Bezos said.

Correction, 1:06 p.m.: This story has been updated to reflect that Stephen Colbert hosts the Late Show.

double negative
22151 posts
Thu May-27-21 12:18 PM

11. "lordt. That would be amazing if that content were actually out there. "
In response to Reply # 9

soulsike
Member since Jul 20th 2002
2562 posts
Wed May-26-21 04:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "i wish they'd buy the rest of Bond from the Broccoli family"
In response to Reply # 0

they're gonna live forever and will never expand or diversify that brand/universe, and there are so many creators right now that would do incredible work with the Bond world...

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Sun Jun-06-21 06:13 PM

17. "under Amazon, MGM = More Gulag Money"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #13433805 Previous topic | Next topic