Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13433453

Subject: "How many *more* deaths in the U.S. from Covid-19 will happen??" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18978 posts
Sat May-22-21 11:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How many *more* deaths in the U.S. from Covid-19 will happen??"

My brain kind of hurts trying to think about this.

It seems A LOT of people are 'done' with COVID now - and states, including California are going to loosen a lot of restrictions soon.

But I looked at the numbers in the U.S. and it said May 20th,2021 had 654 Covid-19 deaths reported.

So if that number stays steady then it's about 20,000 dead a month from now - or 147,150 more this year.

Even if death rates goes down to half of what it is today that's still 75,000-100,000 more deaths this year in the U.S. At 25% today's rate it's still 37,500 dead by the end of the year.

2018 had 34,000 dead from flu. 47,000 suicides. 150,000 from strokes.

Will Covid-19 continue to kill so many Americans?

Will people just find it acceptable? What is the 'acceptable' number??

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
What do you think should be done? Is that number acceptable to you?
May 22nd 2021
I don't know - I'm honestly asking....
May 22nd 2021
I thought the same thing
May 22nd 2021
In all honesty, how do you square all this with going to Disneyland?
May 22nd 2021
      About me
May 22nd 2021
posting 'I'm a selfish idiot' would have been easier
May 22nd 2021
      I didn’t go to Disneyland last weekend like the OP
May 22nd 2021
      But you’re right and I was wrong
May 22nd 2021
not enough to make folks fine w/ missing another summer
May 22nd 2021
May 22nd 2021
Oddly specific
May 23rd 2021

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13929 posts
Sat May-22-21 03:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "What do you think should be done? Is that number acceptable to you?"
In response to Reply # 0

The vaccines are out there so it isn’t like people can’t protect themselves at this point.

I think California is right to basically reopen everything by June 15.

handle
Charter member
18978 posts
Sat May-22-21 07:41 PM

2. "I don't know - I'm honestly asking...."
In response to Reply # 1
Sat May-22-21 07:45 PM by handle

>The vaccines are out there so it isn’t like people can’t
>protect themselves at this point.

But if they aren't vaccinated the risk seems to be the same as it was during the winter - which is HIGH.

COVID-19 is the 3rd highest cause of death in the US right now - just behind cancer - and well behind heart attacks.

Seems weird that it 'back to normal' while the number is so high.

The other causes - with the exception of the flu - are not communicable. It seems like we should try to lower it more before going 'back to normal.'

I am hoping that increased vaccination lowers the death rate - and it SHOULD - but the death rate seems really high still.

Will we, as a society, just accept 75,000-50,000 more dead this year?

>The vaccines are out there so it isn’t like people can’t protect themselves at this point.

Well it will take time - right now San Diego is only just reaching 50.7% vaccination - and that's after 5 months. Wouldn't waiting a few more months before 'back to normal' help protect people who want the vaccine but just haven't gotten it yet?

I don't think San Diego could vaccinate everyone who will want to be vaccinated by June 15th - not logistically.

------------

spirit
Charter member
21449 posts
Sat May-22-21 09:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I thought the same thing"
In response to Reply # 2

They’re reopening too soon and not enough people are vaccinated to go by the honor system and let people rock sans masks outdoors. I think we are gonna see another wave

Like you say, we could have waited a few months until those fully vaccinated numbers are up. Last I looked just under forty percent of US adults were fully vaccinated. Lack of patience is gonna kill a lot of people. Wearing a mask is a minor inconvenience if it saves tens of thousands of lives (and also likely stops or slows the spread of other airborne germs)

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

calij81
13929 posts
Sat May-22-21 10:47 PM

6. "In all honesty, how do you square all this with going to Disneyland?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat May-22-21 10:55 PM by calij81

I get what you’re saying and not trying to call you out and live your life how you want but I don’t get the concern for all this after posting about how excited you were about going to Disneyland and how great of an experience it was and then ask about reopening.

Those numbers should continue to decrease as more people get vaccinated and hopefully people still wear a mask and try to be responsible.

handle
Charter member
18978 posts
Sat May-22-21 11:01 PM

7. "About me"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat May-22-21 11:10 PM by handle

Disneyland is under a restructure re-opening with a lot of safety protocols enforced right now.

I agree it's not perfect - but I'm not looking for *perfect* solutions. But 600 people dying a day still, and 30,000 cases each day seems pretty high still.

But to your points these were the factors that made me go:

1)Capacity was limited to 25% of normal. So the density was way down.

2)Masking was enforced *EVERYWHERE.*

3)Only California residents allowed in. They did not ask for ID from me, but they did ask of some people.

4)Social distancing enforced way better than at my local grocery store.

5)They *radically* limited the amount of time you were in doors and sharing air with people in doors. Haunted Mansion may have been the most people in doors while I was there and EVERYONE was 6 feet a part, masked, and we were in the line inside a maximum of 5 minutes. (Now, that is different from the workers who are in there all day.)

6)Me, myself am fully vaccinated so my risk profile was much lower than if I was not. (Same with my 1 friend who went with me)

So that risk seems different than what's happening on June 15th.

I don't know 'the acceptable number of deaths a day.' Maybe it is 600. Maybe it's 100? How is that decision made?

It seems like the south and mid-west made these decision months ago and are dying at a higher per-person rate than California. these seem GIDDY about it.

------------

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4923 posts
Sat May-22-21 09:52 PM

4. "posting 'I'm a selfish idiot' would have been easier"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat May-22-21 09:53 PM by Stadiq

>The vaccines are out there so it isn’t like people can’t
>protect themselves at this point.

Yeah that isn't true. Plenty of people want vaccines and can't get them in some cities, etc.

Especially HOURLY WORKERS who can't miss work when the vaccine lays them out.

Theres also plenty of low immune system folks who CANT GET THE VACCINE

Thinking outside of yourself is a healthy exercise and you should try it.

>
>I think California is right to basically reopen everything by
>June 15.

NOPE

States are reopning because our society is too tied to stupid shit.

Brunch. Movies. Bars. Restaurants.

Making people go into the office for work they can easily do at home.

Making kids go to in-person school so their parents can get their asses back to work.

Etc etc.

And now 'liberals' are hell bent on making this thing look over regardless- including fucking Newsome.

If our society wasn't fucked- and if our institutions weren't so fucking impatient we could stomp this thing completely out through a combination of aggressive vaccination (including paying people to do so, giving time off, etc) and like 4-6 more weeks of serious distancing.

The Biden admin and 'liberals' like Newsome spiking the ball at the 5 yard line isn't that much better than the Trump admin pretending there was never a game.

Just be an adult and keep your fucking mask on for a little while. Cook at home. Get takeout. Etc.

calij81
13929 posts
Sat May-22-21 10:42 PM

5. "I didn’t go to Disneyland last weekend like the OP"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat May-22-21 11:04 PM by calij81

I still stay masked up, don’t go to public events, sports events, or going on any vacations. My life is basically the same as it has been for the last year and 3 months during the pandemic.

I get all that but at this point in San Diego and California most but not all of the people that want the vaccine have gotten it or can get it. The majority of unvaccinated people in California at this point seem to be GQP and anti vaxxers.

I plan on continuing to wear a mask and live a bit more open but still cautious life after June 15th.

I agree about incentivizing people to get the vaccine. Paying them or giving them PTO to get the vaccine should happen. Mobile clinics should also be driving to places of work to offer vaccines as well.

calij81
13929 posts
Sat May-22-21 11:14 PM

9. "But you’re right and I was wrong"
In response to Reply # 4

My original comment did come off as self centered and selfish. I do agree that we should wait a bit longer. At least until July 1st to reopen, a few more weeks wouldn’t hurt anything and could go a long to way to help save lives.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85135 posts
Sat May-22-21 11:11 PM

8. "not enough to make folks fine w/ missing another summer"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

squeeg
Charter member
34494 posts
Sat May-22-21 11:24 PM

10. "8"
In response to Reply # 0

Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Sun May-23-21 01:26 PM

11. "Oddly specific"
In response to Reply # 10

Lobby General Discussion topic #13433453 Previous topic | Next topic