Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13433037

Subject: "Share a grown folk life lesson you learned late in life" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49406 posts
Tue May-18-21 10:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Share a grown folk life lesson you learned late in life"

This post will get cynical real quick, but I learned pretty late in life (like in the last 5 years) that you can't be nice to everyone. Like there are certain people who don't respond to kindness well and view it as weakness and you HAVE to interact with them and aggressiveness to get them to act right.

I didn't see this much in my personal life but it something I've had to learn in professional settings.

I am thinking about it now because my boys live in a pretty kind world and dealing with the type of person I am talking about it is pretty foreign to them. I've been wondering when they are going to learn this lesson.

What you got?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
to say "nah im good" more
May 18th 2021
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
May 18th 2021
Asking for help is not a sign of weakness
May 18th 2021
^ people like you and are more willing to help than you realize
May 18th 2021
l’m trying to do this more at my job
May 18th 2021
Life truly isn't fair, but we are wired to think it is.
May 18th 2021
Man you dropped a lot to chew on.
May 18th 2021
Christianity and raising kids is another rabbit hole I think about
May 18th 2021
Agree with most of this besides the car accident
May 18th 2021
100% on the "wired" part. don't quite agree on your covid assessment
May 18th 2021
      I think we're on the same page. There's levels to it.
May 18th 2021
Money will never solve real problems....action and accountability do
May 18th 2021
you can’t change people and have to meet them where they are...
May 18th 2021
^^^ just had this conversation IRL
May 18th 2021
This has saved so many of my relationships with people.
May 18th 2021
for me its relatives and siblings
May 18th 2021
no expectations, no letdowns.
May 18th 2021
Sometimes, just you knowing, is enough…
May 18th 2021
Write observations insights down in little notebooks
May 18th 2021
Fat ass turns to flab, sores that was open wounds eventually turn to sca...
May 18th 2021
^^An example of the Genius of Outkast
May 18th 2021
      exactly....autumn leaves must fall down...(I think it's "all them"..but ...
May 18th 2021
      I agree, I've been playing a lot of OutKast as of late..
May 18th 2021
      It's wild how wise ahead of their years they were/are. I KNOW I wasn't
May 18th 2021
           I definitely wasn't LOL
May 18th 2021
      didn't hit me til just now lol
May 18th 2021
at some point you have to make that move
May 18th 2021
sometimes the move gets made for you too
May 18th 2021
you know what? you could be right .. thanks!
May 18th 2021
sometimes to not make a decision is to make a decision. im goin thru
May 18th 2021
yeah there are def some plugs i regret not pulling
May 18th 2021
this is the truth
May 18th 2021
man, this applies to so much, in life
May 18th 2021
I like this one
May 18th 2021
I shoulda listened to Junior Giscombe....or better yet his mama
May 18th 2021
live yo life
May 19th 2021
Perception truly is reality.
May 18th 2021
the importance of straight fwd, clear and concise communication
May 18th 2021
Man the ability of being able to have tough convos...
May 18th 2021
yeah i learned this after my first job outta college
May 18th 2021
      yeah theres no need to be an asshole for no good reason
May 18th 2021
How people feel about you isn't your problem
May 19th 2021
might be the biggest lesson of them all.
May 19th 2021
1. there is no such thing as an inherent flaw. 2. how to grow as a perso...
May 19th 2021
it’s easier to be nice
May 19th 2021
not if you are white
May 19th 2021
All we have in life are relationships and stories
May 19th 2021
How to have some fucking boundaries
May 19th 2021
openness and vulnerability is how people bond.
May 19th 2021
I agree...
May 19th 2021
This message found me right on time
May 20th 2021
raising kids while teaching them your bias and fears
May 19th 2021
RE: raising kids while teaching them your bias and fears
Jun 01st 2021
Make people WANT to see good things happen for you
May 19th 2021
Great post and replies nm
May 19th 2021
^^^
May 31st 2021
Change starts at home, Less is more, endurance over speed, sustain your ...
May 21st 2021
great post
May 21st 2021
I went from not thinking about my health and body at all.
May 21st 2021
It’s not how much you make it’s how much you keep nm
May 25th 2021
Every birthday doesn't have to be celebrated.
May 30th 2021
Happy Birthday
May 31st 2021
happy belated birthday...
Jun 02nd 2021
its okay to chill and not run the streets
May 30th 2021
lol I am not from STL but I have been here for 8 years and people
May 30th 2021
yeah.. people say Chicago is bad
May 30th 2021
bruh...
May 30th 2021
I kinda changed my stance on local news after Ferguson because I
May 30th 2021
      I have social media so I don’t miss major stories
May 31st 2021
its weird being single and feeling like this
May 30th 2021
      I'm a night owl but fuck if I came to hate going out late.
Jun 01st 2021
Image matters. It shouldn't but it does
May 31st 2021
do not listen to unsolicited advice
May 31st 2021
Tell people "I made a mistake" and &"I don't know" and "I need help"
Jun 01st 2021
Admitting Mistakes!
Jun 01st 2021
Masculinity is soft, Femininity is hard.
Jun 01st 2021
Masculinity is not nutrured.
Jun 01st 2021
this is daaaaamn true
Jun 01st 2021
see - the sister in law's mentality is naked as all fuck
Jun 01st 2021
is the SIL older?
Jun 01st 2021
yeah she's like 39 or 40
Jun 01st 2021
      I think he meant older as in like approaching senior status.
Jun 02nd 2021
Self sufficient Men
Jun 01st 2021
RE: Self sufficient Men
Jun 02nd 2021
She made an ignorant comment
Jun 02nd 2021
before I had kids, I realized, men are not equipped to age gracefully
Jun 01st 2021
      Having two sons myself, this is spot on.
Jun 01st 2021
           I'm changing the way I think about relationships
Jun 02nd 2021
I just heard an Obama interview where he was talking about this...
Jun 01st 2021
      YES. All of this.
Jun 01st 2021
Get REAL people(friends, partners) in your life to help you grow
Jun 01st 2021
I realized some dudes think bashing dudes
Jun 01st 2021
In Business: "Please explain that to me"or "I dont know what that means"
Jun 01st 2021
Asking question is the best way to expose folks.
Jun 01st 2021
      hell yes. & the subtle look u give them when they fail to explain themse...
Jun 01st 2021
the importance of stretching
Jun 01st 2021
RE: the importance of stretching
Jun 01st 2021
Divorces happen
Jun 01st 2021
man.. watching it play out in real time..
Jun 01st 2021
Trying to ‘win a breakup’ is a waste of time
Jun 01st 2021
telling everyone you are hustling.. isn’t hustling
Jun 02nd 2021

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Tue May-18-21 10:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "to say "nah im good" more"
In response to Reply # 0

in dating, friendships, jobs. everything
you dont have to be involved in everything
and you dont always have to win. not participating in some bullshit is not an L.

9/10 you aint really missing out on shit.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Tue May-18-21 11:08 AM

6. "^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 1

Yup. One of the best things about getting older is saying "nah im good"

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Tue May-18-21 10:45 AM

2. "Asking for help is not a sign of weakness"
In response to Reply # 0

Learn to delegate more

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

BrooklynWHAT
85068 posts
Tue May-18-21 10:55 AM

5. "^ people like you and are more willing to help than you realize"
In response to Reply # 2

or at least more than i realized. last few months I've been amazed at the support I've gotten through some personal shit. even folks I dont keep in contact w/ as frequently.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue May-18-21 11:45 AM

9. "l’m trying to do this more at my job"
In response to Reply # 2

I asked for an intern to do shit I dont want to do

and I’m getting one..

but there is still a part of me that feels “threatened” by having someone else do stuff I’m not interested in or good at..

but this is new so I’m trying to tell myself to embrace it and stop feeling some type of way

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue May-18-21 10:53 AM

3. "Life truly isn't fair, but we are wired to think it is."
In response to Reply # 0

First of all your original post is spot on. I've also learned that in my professional life and it's made me think twice about some of the standard advice we give kids.

For me, especially in this past year, it's been learning about how our brains are wired to think life is fair. It's just built into our subconscious thought process likely through thousands of years of evolution because it's important for human survival for us to believe that life is "fair" and that we have an equal chance.

I see it all the time with the pandemic - you hear about someone who died unexpectedly , and immediately the question is "was it Covid?" followed up by "did they have any underlying conditions?", and it's because the person hearing the news instantly needs to justify why an unexpected death was "fair"...like "oh they were overweight" or "oh they had diabetes" or whatever.

That's made me more aware of this justification in non-covid related cases...you hear about someone who committed suicide, and people will post things like "check in on your friends/family" and yes it's good to check in on people, but the reason someone committed suicide likely isn't because "no one checked in on them". I have a 12 year old son who is on the autism spectrum and is dealing with depression and anxiety, and has had moments of suicidal ideation. He is in a VERY loving home, has a support network of being close to both sets of grandparents and other family and friends, is in multiple types of therapy, etc...but like one of his therapists told us - anxiety doesn't care about facts. When he's going through it he isn't being logical about all the people who "check in" on him or all the family who constantly show him love. But our human minds try to balance out things to justify it when we hear bad news.

This shows up as part of white privilege as well. When certain people hear about a black person being killed by police and they ask questions like "was he resisting arrest?" or "was he on drugs?" part of that is them believing life is fair and there's no way a cop would unjustifiably kill someone, because that wouldn't be fair. Same thing when they hear about institutional racism and start talking about bootstraps. Yes a good deal of that is consciously racist and disingenuous so I'm not making excuses for that stuff at ALL, but part of it is them subconsciously having a default belief of life being fair, and that the good things in their own lives were fully earned by them on a level playing field.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49406 posts
Tue May-18-21 11:35 AM

7. "Man you dropped a lot to chew on. "
In response to Reply # 3

I think about whether life is fair all the time especially having kids.

I look at someone like Trump and his kids. Its so clear that he has taught his kids life isn't fair so make sure you get everything you can out of everyone you deal with and F them if they get in your way. And it hurts to see that you can actually be very successful living that way because you know Trumps dad raised him to think the same thing. If life were fair it will catch up to him some day. But I am doubtful it will. The Christianity in me, which hard wired me to think life is fair, has also hard wired me to want to see him punished for his terribleness (which frankly doesn't feel very Christian like and shows you how Christians can be so hateful). Again, a lot to chew on.

The challenge I face is trying to prepare my kids to not really expect that life is fair AND say despite that it is their duty to be good people and treat people well. I go back to that quote from the end of Seven, "'The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for' … I agree with the second part.""

Anyway, the second part about White Privilege I find myself doing that for crime in general. Any time I read a horrific crime story (which is often) I always try to think of a way to make sure it doesn't happen to me and mine. Did that drunk driver kills those people because they were all out at 3AM in the morning. Was that person shot involved with crime? etc. Its a wrong way to look at that sort of thing but its instinctive because the truth is scarier, some times bad shit happens to good people for no reason.

Again, a lot to chew on.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue May-18-21 12:24 PM

14. "Christianity and raising kids is another rabbit hole I think about"
In response to Reply # 7

a LOT that I still haven't fully processed. As a lifelong Christian, raising my family as Christians and teaching my kids, there are a ton of issues that I can reconcile in my own mind in terms of what is literal and what isn't, but when explaining that to kids that reconciliation is VERY tough to explain the various nuances.

The one thing I'll say though about Christianity and fairness is that the Bible is pretty clear that life on this Earth isn't fair - just look at all of the suffering that the early Christ followers went through, and don't even get me started on the Old Testament. But I think that with the Bible you have to look at what is "fair" and "just" on the eternal scale and not just what is within our lifetimes on Earth.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue May-18-21 03:39 PM

34. "Agree with most of this besides the car accident "
In response to Reply # 7

lost my mom in a car accident while she was on her lunch break in the passenger side with her coworker by an asshole who already had his license revoked.

There is no way you can avoid being a casualty in a car accident.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Tue May-18-21 11:56 AM

12. "100% on the "wired" part. don't quite agree on your covid assessment"
In response to Reply # 3

i don't see it as a fairness as much as just a self preservation / piece of mind thing.

that said, I can only speak for myself, because especially early on in the pandemic whenever I would see someone close to my age die of covid, i would immediately want to know if they had some sort of condition, to the point that i would scroll the article looking for it, and usually they did and it would make me feel a bit more at ease that I'm not gonna die, but at the same time, I'm around a lot of immune compromised people, and it made me more concerened for them. at no point did i think it was more fair for someone overweight, etc.. to drop but i guess you're right that people do that.

but overall, i still have that core wiring in my brain that people who do shitty things will get theirs, good things come to good people, even though the world says otherwise, and we can be selective in how we look at the world as proof when someone gets their comeuppance, but then you see something happen to a loved one, or you see Chadwick Boseman die in his mid 40s and i immediately think about all the shitty old, powerful people out there doing damage, or even some 55 year old capital stormer, like why does this asshole get to still exist? It's because life obviously isn't fair but somehow it doesn't register.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue May-18-21 12:17 PM

13. "I think we're on the same page. There's levels to it. "
In response to Reply # 12

>i don't see it as a fairness as much as just a self
>preservation / piece of mind thing.

The "wired to believe things are fair" thing I'm talking about is subconscious. With Covid, ESPECIALLY in the early days of it we had both that subconscious wiring (which is absolutely based around instinct for self-preservation) and the literal questioning we had to want to understand what conditions were more at risk. But that subconscious wiring still plays into it. It's not that we are consciously literally thinking "oh, they were overweight so that's fair" or "oh they worked in a hospital so that's fair". But there's still an instinct for our brains to balance out something that doesn't seem fair to us on the surface - even when we factually know that it isn't "fair".

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Tue May-18-21 10:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Money will never solve real problems....action and accountability do"
In response to Reply # 0

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue May-18-21 11:42 AM

8. "you can’t change people and have to meet them where they are... "
In response to Reply # 0

not where you want them to be

This is something my wife and I are learning. Talking about friends, family and acquaintances and how upsetting it can be with the way they operate.. just had to realize we can’t change the way some people view the world.

We want them to see things are way and I’m sure they feel the same way about us..

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Tue May-18-21 12:38 PM

16. "^^^ just had this conversation IRL"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue May-18-21 12:41 PM by bentagain

I don't think people can actually change

We evolve, through life experience and education

But, IMO, so much of who we are is contingent upon the context which we enter the world

...and then grow...

You can't change that.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49406 posts
Tue May-18-21 01:44 PM

25. "This has saved so many of my relationships with people. "
In response to Reply # 8

If you understand who they are and the nature of your relationship, then they can't let you down.

That's just my drinking and talking shit buddy. If I look for him in a time and need and ask more of them, I am going to be disappointed.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue May-18-21 03:26 PM

32. "for me its relatives and siblings"
In response to Reply # 25

how mad can I be when they act...

like they always acted their whole lives.

Its still annoying but I can’t take the time to try and convince them to change or try to be a little better.

You want to live in the hood and complain because you dont have a car when their is a bus line that runs every few minutes to a real ass city with more opportunities.. well okay.

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10143 posts
Tue May-18-21 02:22 PM

29. "no expectations, no letdowns."
In response to Reply # 8

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue May-18-21 11:54 AM

10. "Sometimes, just you knowing, is enough…"
In response to Reply # 0

If someone was on some bullshit…no matter how small…I used to feel like I HAD to let them know, that I knew, that they was o n some bullshit. I could not accept the idea of someone possibly thinking they got over. Family, friends…didn’t matter. I was going to call, text or pull-up…to let you know that I knew what you did. Shit cost me a lot of unnecessary, internal strife and messed up a couple of relationships.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Tue May-18-21 11:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Write observations insights down in little notebooks"
In response to Reply # 0

Review them etc

Like Questlove said in his Creative Quest book on how computers and phones store up the info people used to draw on from their own brain, the notebooks record insights a person doesn't have to rely on memory to stay in contact with. Freed up the mind to build more and more.

Of course type up the notebook info to save in a computer regularly.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Tue May-18-21 12:27 PM

15. "Fat ass turns to flab, sores that was open wounds eventually turn to sca..."
In response to Reply # 0

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49406 posts
Tue May-18-21 12:43 PM

18. "^^An example of the Genius of Outkast"
In response to Reply # 15

They did a song that wouldn't hit their core audiences in the gut for another 20 years.

Like what young rappers would even think to rhyme about growing old??!?

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue May-18-21 12:46 PM

19. "exactly....autumn leaves must fall down...(I think it's "all them"..but ..."
In response to Reply # 18
Tue May-18-21 12:49 PM by FLUIDJ

saying autumn lol)

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

jimi
Charter member
4614 posts
Tue May-18-21 01:25 PM

21. "I agree, I've been playing a lot of OutKast as of late.. "

and I find a lot their songs hit like that.

@silentintellect

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue May-18-21 01:38 PM

23. "It's wild how wise ahead of their years they were/are. I KNOW I wasn't"
In response to Reply # 21

that insightful in the 90's and 3000 is only 1 year older than me....

jimi
Charter member
4614 posts
Tue May-18-21 02:12 PM

27. "I definitely wasn't LOL"
In response to Reply # 23

@silentintellect

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Tue May-18-21 10:42 PM

39. "didn't hit me til just now lol"

just absolute brilliance that i didn't feel until 20 plus years later

jimi
Charter member
4614 posts
Tue May-18-21 12:40 PM

17. "at some point you have to make that move"
In response to Reply # 0

whatever that move is...

planning, thinking, planning, thinking.. too much of it just prevents you from making that move..

a lot of it is fear.. or thinking that I need that extra ingredient to get started on the move..

just move and figure it out along the way..

BTW, All the lessons mentioned so far are dead on..

@silentintellect

BrooklynWHAT
85068 posts
Tue May-18-21 01:32 PM

22. "sometimes the move gets made for you too"
In response to Reply # 17

for me it did

jimi
Charter member
4614 posts
Tue May-18-21 02:06 PM

26. "you know what? you could be right .. thanks!"
In response to Reply # 22

@silentintellect

mikediggz
10143 posts
Tue May-18-21 02:25 PM

30. "sometimes to not make a decision is to make a decision. im goin thru "

that right now and its costing me kinda big. A nigga worst enemy is fear (c) mobb deep

BrooklynWHAT
85068 posts
Tue May-18-21 10:33 PM

37. "yeah there are def some plugs i regret not pulling"
In response to Reply # 30
Tue May-18-21 10:33 PM by BrooklynWHAT

especially because i knew at the time i should've did it but the uncertainty of the otherside was worse than the status quo

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue May-18-21 04:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
35. "this is the truth"

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue May-18-21 02:15 PM

28. "man, this applies to so much, in life"

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Amritsar
32093 posts
Tue May-18-21 03:34 PM

33. "I like this one "

Would add, cutting peop,e out of your life who get in the way of those goals.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue May-18-21 12:51 PM

20. "I shoulda listened to Junior Giscombe....or better yet his mama"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-18-21 12:51 PM by FLUIDJ

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Wed May-19-21 01:26 PM

51. "live yo life"
In response to Reply # 20

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Tue May-18-21 01:39 PM

24. "Perception truly is reality."
In response to Reply # 0

As simple as it sounds, your outlook, opinion, and mindset heavily influences how you process and take in reality.

Unfortunately, that isn't always a good thing.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

mikediggz
10143 posts
Tue May-18-21 02:27 PM

31. "the importance of straight fwd, clear and concise communication"
In response to Reply # 0

ive always been one to sugar coat shit and beat around the bush...no time for that. this is what it is, this is what we doin. or not.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49406 posts
Tue May-18-21 07:17 PM

36. "Man the ability of being able to have tough convos..."
In response to Reply # 31

Doesn't necessarily make your life easier, but can save you a gang of time.

Amritsar
32093 posts
Tue May-18-21 10:40 PM

38. "yeah i learned this after my first job outta college"
In response to Reply # 31

better to just say what the fuck you need than sugar coat everything and be the agreeable guy

this also may just be specific to certain personality types

mikediggz
10143 posts
Tue May-18-21 11:33 PM

40. "yeah theres no need to be an asshole for no good reason"
In response to Reply # 38

and ones delivery can be pleasant but saying what u mean and meaning what u say benefits everyone even those that disagree with your stance

>better to just say what the fuck you need than sugar coat
>everything and be the agreeable guy
>
>
>this also may just be specific to certain personality types

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Wed May-19-21 06:51 AM

41. "How people feel about you isn't your problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Good or bad.

They making assumptions and judgments and conclusions abt you and don't know you. It's based on all their previous interactions with who knows how many people

As such...you got to do you and let people feel how they feel

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

mikediggz
10143 posts
Wed May-19-21 08:03 AM

42. "might be the biggest lesson of them all."
In response to Reply # 41

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed May-19-21 09:43 AM

43. "1. there is no such thing as an inherent flaw. 2. how to grow as a perso..."
In response to Reply # 0

it's a lesson I'm still learning.

essentially, I realized that I've felt like shit about myself since the 2nd grade. I was a D student but smart so I thought something about me was wrong and could not change. I've managed to create a life that is far from what would be expected of me, but even still, after all my sucesses, I still feel like something about me is wrong/broken at a core level and it just is.

I just recently learned that successful people think about winning/sucess differently.

If I lose or fail or fall, I will ruminate and think the loss has everything to do with who I am and that the loss is a permanent statement about who I am, and what I am. There is no second chance to go back and try again because who I am is reflected in this loss. My game is chasing winning to prove that I am worthy, or smart. There is no moment of "try again, but this time, focus on this"

If a top performer like say, Michael Jordan loses, he doesn't go inward and think the very essence of his entire being is why he lost. He instead accepts the loss, analyzes what went wrong, and immediately hatches a plan of action to shore up areas of weakness. He wants to win badly, but his driver is optimization, improvement, being the best.

Growth mind. It's everything.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Wed May-19-21 09:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
44. "it’s easier to be nice"
In response to Reply # 0

being mean and evil requires to much energy.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Wed May-19-21 11:19 AM

49. "not if you are white"
In response to Reply # 44

they make it seem effortless

double negative
22151 posts
Wed May-19-21 09:46 AM

"All we have in life are relationships and stories"

MONEY? What the fuck is money?

The only thing that matters are the relationships we all have and the stories we tell each other, that is, our history, our myths, our reasons for being or doing.

double negative
22151 posts
Wed May-19-21 09:46 AM

45. "How to have some fucking boundaries "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-19-21 09:47 AM by double negative

not having boundaries is a dangerous way to go about living.

double negative
22151 posts
Wed May-19-21 09:55 AM

46. "openness and vulnerability is how people bond. "
In response to Reply # 0

this is also something new for me

I've had a rough couple of years and had life shit affect work shit

and instead of saying "I got too much on my plate right now...I'm barely fucking hanging on here" I made the error of just carrying it all and not saying anything to anyone. Not my boss, not my wife, not my friends.

Now, I'm trying to create a new pattern where I'm willing to be honest about where I am. I told my boss I was just not feeling OK beause a good friend went missing for a few weeks and his wife called me out of the blue to ask for help. Were this a year ago, I would have just not said anyting and been fucking up the work.

I had the impression that being open is how people take advantage of you...which is true, but the pendulum was so far on the other side, I was bursting at the seams because I was trying to hold it all in and do it alone.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Wed May-19-21 10:03 AM

47. "I agree..."
In response to Reply # 46

it’s the path im currently on.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Thu May-20-21 07:22 PM

53. "This message found me right on time"
In response to Reply # 46

I had a death in the family late last week out of the blue and a scary health situation come up w/my wife this week that required an ambulance ride and ER visit. Work was doing normal work stuff, and I was getting angry about it. Instead of heading down that road of getting angry and frustrated (over some normal shit that i would normally jump on), I just sent an email to my bosses and let them know - hey y'all, this what I been dealing with. They didn't know, so it was unfair of me to be annoyed. We're all remote so they couldn't even see I wasn't good. I let them know and they were all like 'totally, get it. thanks for the heads up and take some time if you need'.

when i was younger i def would have just tried to power through it, and ended up making a dumb situation dumber.

What I'm trying to say is 'thanks for sharing. it was helpful. bless.'

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Wed May-19-21 11:10 AM

48. "raising kids while teaching them your bias and fears"
In response to Reply # 0

is not the move.

I've seen it over generations in my fam. a lot of it comes from fear of the unknown and being comfy with what you have, even when what you have is pretty terrible.

of course there are other things that go into it like each person's personality, risk aversion, ability to get out your cacoon, etc. but the level of fear that gets passed down is crazy.

in my home, of course the adults have our own things to battle with overcoming somethings. I wanted something different for my children. be as free as you can. don't necessarily follow the path your parents took. use fear as a motivator, not as a hurdle.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 08:02 PM

92. "RE: raising kids while teaching them your bias and fears"
In response to Reply # 48

>is not the move.
>
>I've seen it over generations in my fam. a lot of it comes
>from fear of the unknown and being comfy with what you have,
>even when what you have is pretty terrible.
>
>of course there are other things that go into it like each
>person's personality, risk aversion, ability to get out your
>cacoon, etc. but the level of fear that gets passed down is
>crazy.
>
>in my home, of course the adults have our own things to battle
>with overcoming somethings. I wanted something different for
>my children. be as free as you can. don't necessarily follow
>the path your parents took. use fear as a motivator, not as a
>hurdle.

Looka here. This is real talk to the max. And I struggle with this. I grew up with just enough death around me that it is a big thing for me to not want to take anything resembling a risk when I can avoid it. Meanwhile, my wife doesn’t have this issue at all so she’ll bungee jump and all of that without thinking about it.

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Wed May-19-21 12:03 PM

50. "Make people WANT to see good things happen for you"
In response to Reply # 0

Bullshit is GOING to happen in life, don't go out of your ways to create enemies

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed May-19-21 07:46 PM

52. "Great post and replies nm"
In response to Reply # 0

---

But hell, what do I know?

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Mon May-31-21 06:45 AM

65. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 52

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Fri May-21-21 06:40 AM

54. "Change starts at home, Less is more, endurance over speed, sustain your ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Change starts at home
I was a busy body. I was in every group, club, community meeting, activist org and I actually got nothing done. Since focusing on my family, home, health, finances, work, spirituality and love life, everything has fallen into place.

Less is more
Less stuff means less to think about. Less people, means more meaningful relationships, less food means a healthier body. Less work means less stress. Even less money means I have to be mindful of what I spend money on. Nothing wrong with a simple life.

Endurance over Speed
Speed is necessary and works well for the young and agile. But life is an endurance game. Maintaining through inevitable ups and downs will win over firecracker success any day.

Sustain Your Body
I was fit, then fat, then thick and now I am just me. I am not trying to drastically alter my body in any way. I notice that the body truly is a machine. Just keep that sucker running, put healthy fluids in it. Keep fresh oil in your tank. Don't let people in and out of your body (sexually and mentally). The body is very important for overall happiness. It should be our main priority in staying healthy.

You get the love you give
Often I realize that romance, relationships, friends and families are just mirrors. Once I started giving love, I recieved the same back. It may not look the same, but people did give back to me. When I was stingy or tit-for-tat with love, that is what people gave back. All my romantic problems have been solved by giving and receiving equally.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Fri May-21-21 07:44 AM

55. "great post"
In response to Reply # 54
Fri May-21-21 07:45 AM by legsdiamond

especially the part about giving love and receiving it.

There were times I was stingy with my love or didn’t communicate what I wanted while demanding they “prove their love”

that doesn’t work.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49406 posts
Fri May-21-21 08:12 AM

56. "I went from not thinking about my health and body at all. "
In response to Reply # 54

To like that occupying 40% of my mental space. Not to get to peak state, but just to maintain health. Its work but also the most important work.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Tue May-25-21 03:40 PM

57. "It’s not how much you make it’s how much you keep nm"
In response to Reply # 0

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Sun May-30-21 01:13 PM

58. "Every birthday doesn't have to be celebrated."
In response to Reply # 0

Today (5/30) is my birthday and I have been laying in bed watching tv ALL day. I am far less upset about this than I thought I would be. I thought about something I could be doing a little while ago and then all in a second the thoughts of getting dressed, doing my hair, interacting with people, and the heat outside came to mind and I was like "Nah, I'll pass."

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Mon May-31-21 07:52 AM

67. "Happy Birthday "
In response to Reply # 58

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Wed Jun-02-21 10:32 AM

96. "happy belated birthday..."
In response to Reply # 58

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Sun May-30-21 03:06 PM

59. "its okay to chill and not run the streets"
In response to Reply # 0

people ask me whats going on in my city and honestly.. I dont really know.

I used to always be where the action is or had FOMO but now that I have a family priorities have changed.

also, this will sound strange but I don’t really follow local news like that. So maybe I’m being blind in some ways but the whole “omg, its so bad in the city, have you seen the news”

nah, I haven’t, so I don’t view my city as some death trap.

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Sun May-30-21 03:24 PM

60. "lol I am not from STL but I have been here for 8 years and people "
In response to Reply # 59

from other cities are always filled with fear and disgust at the idea that I live here. They have never lived here and never visit me, but somehow see this city as a death trap. A wholly undesirable place to live.

Ferguson happened a year and a half after I moved here. I wonder if had live here before Ferguson if that would still be the case.

Now I am not saying I want to live here for the rest of my life, but I could do worse. My rent on a two bedroom townhouse, with a garage, IN THE CITY LIMITS is still less than the one bedroom apartment I was renting in Inglewood after college.

And I make less money than I COULD in LA, but double what I actually was making in those first 5 years in the workforce. And even if I was making this same salary, in LA I would not have the same standard of living (see paragraph above about rent).

Even my people in KC act like there is something to be afraid of if they come visit me here. Like I am inviting them to spent the weekend in Aleppo. If they ever came to my neighborhood they would see that I live a diverse, serene and safe community - in the city limits. My work, the stores and restaurants I frequent, do not even take me to "rough areas." I would have to go out of my way to experience what they think STL is ... whatever that may be.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Sun May-30-21 04:10 PM

61. "yeah.. people say Chicago is bad"
In response to Reply # 60

and sure, the violence is certain areas is horrible but they act like as soon as you touch Chicago you are ducking from bullets.

wluv
Member since Jan 27th 2003
4362 posts
Sun May-30-21 06:49 PM

62. "bruh..."

i haven't watched local evening news in like 20 years or more.

Neither does my wife and im happy she doesn't.

We get all my news through online national sites and word of mouth.

The only time i get a glimpse is when im visiting my mom to take her trash out and even then she pauses it the whole time im there to talk with me about other things.

i know it has improved my mental health in some way not hearing about daily killings or a house fire that takes out a single mom and her five kids.

My mom used to be annoyed as a kid when i didnt sit down and watch it with her. Saying i need to know whats going on in the news.

God gives me just enough news to keep my blk ass in the know on what I NEED to know about and keeps all the irrelevant, depressing sht out.

Just how i like it.

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Sun May-30-21 09:08 PM

64. "I kinda changed my stance on local news after Ferguson because I "
In response to Reply # 62
Sun May-30-21 09:11 PM by SuiteLady

sincerely had no clue what was going on until I walked into work Monday morning and the break room tv was on CNN. Now, I did know that Mike Brown had been killed the day it happens and that a crowd was forming, but that was because I happen to have the tv on a local channel RIGHT after it happened, but I dint watch any other news that day or the next morning. It was Monday morning and I was at work before I knew the QuickTrip had burned and the looting and such was occurring. More than one person in my life was like "how you don't know what is going on in your own city?" I was like " I live a good 15 miles away from there and my neighborhood was totally quiet last night." But because of that I checkout the local news once a week and glance at the local newspaper's websites a couple times a week. Not sure that will change anything about my awareness of situations like that but... whatever.

I also don't have any social media so when I say I was totally unaware ... I mean it.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Mon May-31-21 10:25 AM

68. "I have social media so I don’t miss major stories"
In response to Reply # 64

but I prefer to seek out my news vs the daily ticker of gloom in doom.

most of the news is used to keep us shook anyways.

BrooklynWHAT
85068 posts
Sun May-30-21 07:30 PM

63. "its weird being single and feeling like this"
Sun May-30-21 07:31 PM by BrooklynWHAT

now i never liked the rap club scene anyway, but being 30 and seeing my single friends still trying to live scene that is super lame to me. flip is they think im lame for passing on it lol
my boy is a bouncer at a big club here and the stories he tells me? naw i am good on that

catch me at yoga/spin class, a house DJ set or something doing my socializing. i got no problems admitting i am too old for ratchet shit. and the DJ scene around here is surprisingly diverse. im into something a little more cultured at this point for my scene.

double negative
22151 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 02:52 PM

80. "I'm a night owl but fuck if I came to hate going out late. "
In response to Reply # 63

in my 20s: the doors of THIS club don't open until 11pm. Lets do this.

life after 35: the movie starts at 10pm? guess I won't be seeing that piece of shit then.

There was a point in my early 30s when I realized there is nothing here for me. I could bring a random ass stranger home but then I'd be thinking "why won't you go the fuck home? NOW?" I could get shit faced, but I can't relate to any of these 24 year old kids.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Mon May-31-21 07:00 AM

66. "Image matters. It shouldn't but it does"
In response to Reply # 0

Fair is a myth. An ideal. Nothing is fair.

American society is highly hypocritical. Literally founded on hypocrisy. Expecting truth and justice from this culture is a set up for disaster.

Money isn't everything and it won't make you happy but...it is a tool.

Happiness for women and children.men should aspire to contentment and legacy

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Mon May-31-21 06:43 PM

69. "do not listen to unsolicited advice"
In response to Reply # 0

in fact, you should probably do the opposite of that unsolicited advice. the person giving you the unsolicited advice obviously has an ulterior motive.

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 10:50 AM

70. "Tell people "I made a mistake" and &"I don't know" and "I need help""
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-01-21 11:15 AM by handle

If I mess up at work I will be the FIRST to say "I made a mistake.' And then I will work alone or with people to fix the mistake.

Also if I don't know I'll say 'I don't know.' And then I'll try to figure it out - and ask for help if I need help.

I've found that if you aren't making a TON of unforced mistakes that people will understand.

And that NO ONE knows EVERYTHING.

And that asking for help often results in people helping.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 11:04 AM

71. "Admitting Mistakes! "
In response to Reply # 70

I have started doing this and also apologizing to people and it has transformed so many work and personal relationships. I also noticed that I make less mistakes because I am aware and accountable of where I fall short.

It is good practice, just requires letting go of the ego.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

double negative
22151 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 11:32 AM

72. "Masculinity is soft, Femininity is hard. "
In response to Reply # 0

The subject uses an outdated perspective of men = hard, women = soft/ men = strong, women = weak

I've come to realize men are emotional as fuck. I've also come to realize most of the men we respect are actually really sensitive people.

Men are abused and harmed A LOT but they/we don't talk about it because of the way we think about men - they can handle it, you can handle it right? Handle it! Handle it and then drop dead at 55 because...what the fuck, no one is supposed to just handle it.

We have an upside-down way of thinking that true manhood is essentially being psychotic in that you do not feel, do not have remorse, do not see other people as people.

Women are gangster as hell. they are strong and tough but we gloss over that. Women handle so much shit but it's done in invisible silence.

I'm feeling, men and women are not polar opposites, instead, we're complimentary points in a gamut. we contain a shared set of characteristics and we're not so different that it's like being from different planets. Men and women ARE definitely different, but not the way it's portrayed or widely accepted.

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 12:49 PM

74. " Masculinity is not nutrured. "
In response to Reply # 72

All through my 20's-30's, most men in my life had the upper hand in dating, physicality, in some cases money and confidence. Men in their 40's-50's are much more humbled, patient, and self reflective.

But I notice that I had to learn to nurture this level of mature masculinity. Men were telling me they were disappointed in their career, hurt over a kid situation, embarrassed about finances or even not feeling as sexual without a deeper connection. I was shocked to hear men share these feelings. I wasn't prepared to give them support. I had to learn that men are not always in combat and conquer mode.

Women have SOO many support networks. I notice men don't. Sports is just an opiate. Money is a band aid that sometimes gives men the resources to heal but many men need more masculine emotional support on their own terms.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

BrooklynWHAT
85068 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 01:09 PM

75. "this is daaaaamn true"
In response to Reply # 74
Tue Jun-01-21 01:12 PM by BrooklynWHAT

>
>Women have SOO many support networks. I notice men don't.
>Sports is just an opiate. Money is a band aid that sometimes
>gives men the resources to heal but many men need more
>masculine emotional support on their own terms.

IMO this is how you get men turning into MRAs, MGOTWs and other weird incel/alt-right shit. so many dudes are out here SOLO and struggling. shouting into the void of their own minds w/ no rebuttal or wall to bounce ideas off of. and dont have the money to get the resources to heal. eventually those guys all find each other or find someone peddling the rhetoric that makes them feel included.

i remember my buddy's sister-in-law telling me one time like "god if i didnt know you all fucked women i'd think you and your boys are gay. yall are friends and talk about your problems like women do" and I didn't know whether to take that as her insulting us or admiring what we have.

edit: but i did find it interesting that she felt like supportive, tight male networks were not manly

double negative
22151 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 02:38 PM

77. "see - the sister in law's mentality is naked as all fuck"
In response to Reply # 75

thats the bullshit that lives in all of our minds. it's not helping men OR women.

yes on the MTGOW part

the MRA thing...is complicated. I don't agree with them, but I do think they make a point on men getting the shaft when it comes to divorce and custody

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 03:25 PM

81. "is the SIL older? "

this was something I spoke on years ago on here during genderwarz

some girls used to be quick to call dudes gay if they weren’t being aggressive on the first date.

“he didn’t try to kiss me, is he gay”

I just met you 45 minutes ago.. wtf.

BrooklynWHAT
85068 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 03:49 PM

84. "yeah she's like 39 or 40"
In response to Reply # 81

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Wed Jun-02-21 12:05 PM

98. "I think he meant older as in like approaching senior status."
In response to Reply # 84

40 is actually young, to me, to still have that level of thinking about men.

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 03:34 PM

83. "Self sufficient Men"

Yeah, only men can help other men. Women can't really offer much. I have learned just to listen and offer concrete support when my male friends are going through something.

Other than that, not sure what else I can do to help.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Wed Jun-02-21 12:11 PM

99. "RE: Self sufficient Men"
In response to Reply # 83

>Yeah, only men can help other men.

Women can't really offer
>much. I have learned just to listen and offer concrete support
>when my male friends are going through something.
>
>Other than that, not sure what else I can do to help.

I disagree with this. this further puts space between men and women. as we grow, it doesn't have to be about being self-sufficent man. it's about being a whole human that happens to be a man.

woman have completely shape my life and any number of other men, who have grown up to great guys. life lessons come from everywhere. I think if we listened to women more, we'd be better in a lot places as men.

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Wed Jun-02-21 12:26 PM

100. "She made an ignorant comment"

I hope you men ignored her. Attitudes like hers also contribute to the problem because most men still want to be seen favorably and receive compliments from women.

Regardless, good for your crew for supporting each other. That has nothing to do with sexual gratification from the same or opposite sex.

I just notice men over 40 struggle more with the mental/emotional health aspects of life. The happy men are usually rooted in a religion, strong organization, his work/ business or his family. But men who are aimless are usually unhappy unless they go full hippie, monk or bohemian mode.

Men need a purpose beyond women, sex, sports and money.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

double negative
22151 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 02:49 PM

79. "before I had kids, I realized, men are not equipped to age gracefully "
In response to Reply # 74

I was specifically thinking about the childfree lifestyle and it hit me; women are way more capable and able to live a life without children than men are (speaking in general, non specific averages)

I really do believe that women are able to step into that "auntie" role and go with it. Trips alone getting the passport stamped up, visiting friends with families and being a part of the clan, regularly maintained strong connections with friends.

Men however...not a good look there potentially. I think a man would have to work to have a sustainable existence alone to avoid long periods of isolation.

Again, I'm speaking in very general terms. Exceptions exist.

You know, they've actually studied the way relationships change shape in the lives of boys and men. I think its up to the 6th grade where boys have incredibly DEEP relationships with their friends, but once they hit puberty they distance themselves even though they feel deep longing or anguish for abandoned relationships.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 03:51 PM

85. "Having two sons myself, this is spot on."
In response to Reply # 79

>You know, they've actually studied the way relationships
>change shape in the lives of boys and men. I think its up to
>the 6th grade where boys have incredibly DEEP relationships
>with their friends, but once they hit puberty they distance
>themselves even though they feel deep longing or anguish for
>abandoned relationships.

I have a seventh grader and a first grader. My seventh grader is high functioning ASD, and with that he is socially awkward but not introverted at all - he CRAVES social interaction and relationships with peers.

I saw first hand how tough it was for him to go from 5th grade to 6th grade - the deep friendships he had in elementary got strained immediately once they got to middle school. They were around more kids that came from the other feeder elementary schools, they hit puberty and started wanting to impress girls and such, and then on top of that instead of being with one group of 25 kids all day they were going to different classes so there wasn't time to really build on their relationships.

My son REALLY struggled with that in 6th grade, and I saw how hurt he was...then the pandemic hits and school is virtual...not now as he's wrapping up his 7th grade year, about to be 13 in a couple weeks, my son has hardened himself. It started with him wanting to impress his friends and pretending like he wasn't interested in the stuff they all used to be into like Pokemon or whatever, but became a self-fufilling profecy of sorts in him actually not being interested in some of those things, and not even wanting to play with his younger brother at home as much. Yes part of that is actual maturation as he's becoming a teenager, and I'm sure girls go through something similar - but I can't help to think that society's view of masculinity and the stupid definitions of what men should and shouldn't do are also at play. As a parent it's a tough transition to see.

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Jun-02-21 11:36 AM

97. "I'm changing the way I think about relationships"
In response to Reply # 85

Men are self isolating creatures and its fucking insanely stupid that we do it.

I've been telling friends, "you matter", "I care about you", "I love you bro" full stop

I missed out on life because I thought keeping it close to the vest was how it was done.

Meanwhile, the people who build empires are the folks who have a tight crew behind them.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 01:57 PM

76. "I just heard an Obama interview where he was talking about this..."
In response to Reply # 72

The interview title is What Does it Mean to be a Man, and in the interview he gets into how we raise boys vs. girls, our definition of masculinity vs femininity, etc...

https://www.tpr.org/2021-05-14/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-man-barack-obama-examines-masculinity-on-art-of-power-podcast

double negative
22151 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 02:40 PM

78. "YES. All of this. "
In response to Reply # 76

Yanno, someone once said here years ago, something that I keep thinking about

it was something like..."hetereo sexual men define themselves by what they DO NOT do"

select_from_where
Member since Jan 03rd 2011
4342 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 11:40 AM

73. "Get REAL people(friends, partners) in your life to help you grow"
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 03:27 PM

82. "I realized some dudes think bashing dudes "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-01-21 03:27 PM by legsdiamond

online will make them look woke af

nah... I’m joking but gotdamn man.

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 04:02 PM

86. "In Business: "Please explain that to me"or "I dont know what that means""
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-01-21 04:03 PM by dgonsh

I learned this from a Michaela Coel interview in Vulture last year.

"Throughout the fallout with Netflix and CAA, Coel asked questions relentlessly. She is eager, almost giddy, to say she doesn’t know something (even if she may have an inkling) because of the way it forces someone else to explain it to her. She has discovered that the explanation is where people begin to falter and the fissures of conventional wisdom crack wider. It may be business as usual, but is it right? Is it good?"

https://www.vulture.com/article/michaela-coel-i-may-destroy-you.html

This really made me realize how often in business and in life I would just go along with things people said if I didn't understand them for fear of looking uninformed or silly. Obvisouly you don't want to be unprepared, but people will try and talk over you with facts and asking them to explain what they mean makes things clearer for you, and sometimes tells you the person you're talking to is talking out of their ass.

I've been using this a lot more this year and it really helps level the playing field.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49406 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 04:37 PM

87. "Asking question is the best way to expose folks. "
In response to Reply # 86

Its easier and more effective to let them show that they don't know what they are talking about as opposed to saying it.

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 05:22 PM

88. "hell yes. & the subtle look u give them when they fail to explain themse..."
In response to Reply # 87

priceless.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

x49
Member since Nov 04th 2009
1716 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 06:45 PM

89. "the importance of stretching"
In response to Reply # 0

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 08:06 PM

93. "RE: the importance of stretching"
In response to Reply # 89

>

Man, I try to tell folks a few years younger than me about hydration and stretching. Foam rollers and all of that. They don’t hear me tho. Then they start getting hurt all the time and understand.

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 07:57 PM

90. "Divorces happen"
In response to Reply # 0

And sometimes, some that ‘should’ve happened’ don’t.

Oh, and you don’t always know who it’s gonna be. Cuz life and circumstances change around on that ass for real sometimes. And some shit that was all good can fuck around and not be all good really fast.

>This post will get cynical real quick, but I learned pretty
>late in life (like in the last 5 years) that you can't be nice
>to everyone. Like there are certain people who don't respond
>to kindness well and view it as weakness and you HAVE to
>interact with them and aggressiveness to get them to act
>right.
>
>I didn't see this much in my personal life but it something
>I've had to learn in professional settings.
>
>I am thinking about it now because my boys live in a pretty
>kind world and dealing with the type of person I am talking
>about it is pretty foreign to them. I've been wondering when
>they are going to learn this lesson.
>
>What you got?
>
>**********
>"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then
>they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
>
>"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 08:22 PM

94. "man.. watching it play out in real time.. "
In response to Reply # 90

just today I told my wife I saw a post that didnt look right from some friends of ours.

she confirmed what I was feeling on some “yeah, its bad.. she looking at the front door”

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 07:59 PM

91. "Trying to ‘win a breakup’ is a waste of time"
In response to Reply # 0

Especially if it gets petty. Lots of negative energy thrown into the universe and most of the time, nobody wins off of it. Hope for the best for them. Do things to make things the best for yourself. Leave it at that.

>This post will get cynical real quick, but I learned pretty
>late in life (like in the last 5 years) that you can't be nice
>to everyone. Like there are certain people who don't respond
>to kindness well and view it as weakness and you HAVE to
>interact with them and aggressiveness to get them to act
>right.
>
>I didn't see this much in my personal life but it something
>I've had to learn in professional settings.
>
>I am thinking about it now because my boys live in a pretty
>kind world and dealing with the type of person I am talking
>about it is pretty foreign to them. I've been wondering when
>they are going to learn this lesson.
>
>What you got?
>
>**********
>"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then
>they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
>
>"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Wed Jun-02-21 08:50 AM

95. "telling everyone you are hustling.. isn’t hustling"
In response to Reply # 0

don’t talk about it, be about it

Lobby General Discussion topic #13433037 Previous topic | Next topic