Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13430644

Subject: "Talkin Cars: Finally found a suitable mini-van alternative (long)" Previous topic | Next topic
FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 08:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Talkin Cars: Finally found a suitable mini-van alternative (long)"

Spent a grip of time researching, watching youtube videos, checking out things in person and had narrowed my list down to the following, model years 2018 and newer:

Used Volvo XC90: It has 3 rows, nice array of features and bells and whistles and a lot of style. Ultimately decided against it after an in person evaluation. I didn't drive it, but checked it for space and capacity. Ultimately the 3rd row was too cramped to be marketed as anything more than a seat for a large dog. Yeah, kids would probably enjoy it for about an hour tops. I was really wowed by the tech that it offered (360 camera, collision avoidance, smart interface, voice commands, etc.).....until I got back home and did more research to discover that most, if not ALL, current crossovers offered that same tech in some shape form or fashion.

Used or New Nissan Armada: So...these are MASSIVE and really offer a TON of value...if you're looking for a MASSIVE SUV that can TOW a LOT. It also has luxury on lock once you get into the SL and higher trims. There are deals to be had on brand new 2019, 2020 models since the 2021 is a facelifted model. Ultimately what soured me on these is the fuel consumption. I'd still be into it as maybe a 2nd vehicle reserved for long road trips or camping....but I don't camp....I don't have a boat to tow....and I'm not really trying to be owning another SUV that's a gas guzzler, my VW Touareg does just fine at that job.... But damn if the Armada's aren't the best looking HUGE SUV's on the road right now... Nissan is on the come up....

Used or New Buick Enclave (2019+): I'm old enough to own a Buick now...so I went in.. Buick offers 4 trims, Base, Essence, Premier & Avenir. In the Essence and Premier, there are sub trims for appearance. I narrowed down to the Essence and Avenir, because I couldn't find any Premiers anywhere around here. Had one brought to the house for a test drive and everything. They offer a lot of trims that range from classy to sporty. I'd landed on a Sport Touring trim because it looks more like something someone my age and younger would drive. They are HUGE compared to every other crossover (Honda Pilot, Highlander, CX-9, XC90)...but only on the inside...on the exterior they don't seem to be much larger footprint. GM really landed on something good with that platform. The technology is TOP NOTCH and at 310hp, they can get it in on the road. Super quiet ride and really really REALLY top notch finishes on the interior. Maybe not quite Volvo levels...but that may just be my personal take because I haven't owned an American made vehicle since the Chevrolet Caviler I drove back in the 90's. The Enclave checked ALL the boxes.. The 3rd row comfortably fits an adult with room to spare AND cargo space to spare behind THAT. The middle row is not cramped at all even when the front seats are pushed back. Captains chairs are the bee knees. I really like how the Enclave handles and how it feels. Don't Sleep on Buicks! Also...active noise cancelation....that's a thing..and Buick has it in all their Enclaves.....but...so does Chevrolet...which leads me to...

Chevrolet Traverse: Ultimately...this won. It has everything the mid-tier Enclave has and more. The Sport Touring Essence Trim of the Enclave doesn't have 360 camera and several other things I'd consider to be essential to classify as a semi-luxury class vehicle (memory seats, auto folding mirrors, heated steering wheel, 360 camera, etc.). To get all of that and more in the Enclave...you gotta move up to the Premier or Avenir($$$).
So I checked and noted that the middle and upper tier Traverse offered almost ALL of the things the Enclave didn't and for several thousand lower price. So I had a couple brought to the house to test drive and I was instantly impressed. SAME driving experience as the Enclave. Same active noise canceling, nearly identical "plushness"... the dashboard of the Chevy isn't soft and cushioned, but I ain't sitting on that joint so who cares... In addition, the trim had ALL the features the Enclave didn't.
I think a mini-van might offer a smidge more stretch out space back in the 3rd row...a tad more capacity...but not worth the dent in my fragile car ego lol....but honestly...my wife was more against mini-van than I was lol..

So yeah... first brand new car I've purchased since 2001. The car buying experience is still pretty much the same...except it's easier to browse selection online now. I went through 3 different colors and trims before luckily finding the exact combination I really wanted at the absolute last minute. The dealer brought in their stock from Baltimore port Tuesday night and they finally had an all black redline trim with AWD in their inventory.

Ask me anything.
I learned some interesting info about the used car market along the way....it may sway your decision on whether to buy used or new. Also GM is offering some spectacular incentives right now...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
ill take my pacifica hybrid over all those lol
Apr 22nd 2021
Man, Pacifica hybrid was top of my list of mini-vans...but just couldn't
Apr 22nd 2021
      wife said the same thing....i made her test drive it
Apr 22nd 2021
           lol...I ain't "making" my wife do shit....but I tried coaxing....
Apr 22nd 2021
                lol you know you cant "make" a woman do anything
Apr 22nd 2021
I will never buy an actual minivan
Apr 22nd 2021
Oh the Kia Carnival peeked my interest...but that name...and that PRICE
Apr 22nd 2021
      Rollin in MPVs
Apr 22nd 2021
what made the 3rd row so important for you?
Apr 22nd 2021
When the grandparents visit, or really any other guests....
Apr 22nd 2021
      makes sense
Apr 22nd 2021
one day, i will join the Minivan Mafia.
Apr 22nd 2021
best auto investment i ever made
Apr 22nd 2021
My wife is driving a mini-van now and wants out...
Apr 22nd 2021
Audi was out of the question off GP and my soured history with the brand
Apr 22nd 2021
my MIL has the 3 row Lexus and my SIL has the Chrylser Pacific
Apr 22nd 2021
i keep telling people about the traverse
Apr 22nd 2021
I think I read that it did have more cargo space than Tahoe somehow...
Apr 22nd 2021
      front bench seats are pretty cool
Apr 22nd 2021
I will never understand the aversion to vans
Apr 22nd 2021
I think...THINK... a big part of it for women is the whole way they've b...
Apr 22nd 2021
that carnival looks nice
Apr 22nd 2021
a minivan is also a “hey, cam you take the team to practice” vehicle
Apr 22nd 2021
      What's wild is that vans USED to be the ultimate dude car..
Apr 22nd 2021
      yup, as a kid i used to drool over a fire conversion van.
Apr 22nd 2021
      In reality, it's been over. Van-life is just accepting it and moving on.
Apr 22nd 2021
           its not over - Guy
Apr 23rd 2021
They just aren't fun to drive at all. When I drive my wife's it
Apr 22nd 2021
lmao at telling the kids to hold on
Apr 23rd 2021
Hated driving our Town & Country, but the Pacifica? Sheeiiit
Apr 23rd 2021
I can see them not being fun, but man I've driven SUVs
Apr 24th 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CffO9oIWi9M
Apr 22nd 2021
FWD or AWD?
Apr 22nd 2021
AWD.
Apr 22nd 2021
I was thinking this post would be about the Traverse or the Arcadia
Apr 22nd 2021
To be honest
Apr 22nd 2021
These big assed keys though....WTF?
Apr 23rd 2021

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 08:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "ill take my pacifica hybrid over all those lol"
In response to Reply # 0

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 08:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Man, Pacifica hybrid was top of my list of mini-vans...but just couldn't"
In response to Reply # 1

get the wife on board with owning one lol..
Usually she couldn't care less about vehicle either...as long as they weren't chromed out, she would drive anything.... but Mini-Vans???! She was really really adamant lol...

tomjohn29
16802 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 08:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "wife said the same thing....i made her test drive it"
In response to Reply # 4

it was all over from there

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu

To swim or to touch not

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 08:59 AM

9. "lol...I ain't "making" my wife do shit....but I tried coaxing...."
In response to Reply # 8

maybe deep down I didn't want it enough lol....

tomjohn29
16802 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 09:54 AM

10. "lol you know you cant "make" a woman do anything"
In response to Reply # 9

mistake in words

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu

To swim or to touch not

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 08:42 AM

2. "I will never buy an actual minivan"
In response to Reply # 0

thankfully the wife agrees.

SUV or it aint happening

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 08:53 AM

7. "Oh the Kia Carnival peeked my interest...but that name...and that PRICE"
In response to Reply # 2

https://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicles/carnival-mpv/2022?chid=sem&aud=&CID=20242760&SID=4132975&PID=204339611&AID=404130485&CRD=0

Pacifica got some competition now....

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 06:23 PM

31. "Rollin in MPVs"
In response to Reply # 7

Every week we made 40 Gz!!

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 08:44 AM

3. "what made the 3rd row so important for you?"
In response to Reply # 0

I had an 06 pathfinder thinking I'd need it for the kids and their friends, but that didn't happen often. kinda turned me off of the 3rd row.

thought about getting a 3rd row again when I looked a few years ago. didn't really like the driving experience, weight, or gas consumption of any of thew few I tried. settled on a Grand Cherokee.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 08:51 AM

6. "When the grandparents visit, or really any other guests...."
In response to Reply # 3

Since we live in a big tourist area (DC) it's nice to be able to take a single vehicle with everyone. Also when we travel to visit, it's ideal again for the same reason.

I agree...3rd row probably won't see much use...but it'll be nice to have when/if needed. In addition though, the extra card space is needed for the many road trips. We already struggle to get everything in the VW....I mean it fits...but EVERY square inch of space is used...that's frustrating on 6+ hour drives.

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 12:54 PM

28. "makes sense"
In response to Reply # 6

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 08:50 AM

5. "one day, i will join the Minivan Mafia."
In response to Reply # 0

tomjohn29
16802 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 09:54 AM

11. "best auto investment i ever made"
In response to Reply # 5

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu

To swim or to touch not

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 10:05 AM

12. "My wife is driving a mini-van now and wants out..."
In response to Reply # 0

I tried my best to convince her not to get one. She was gassed off of having sliding doors for the kids (which she still loves) and built-in TVs.

We'll probably go the SUV route for her. I have a sedan (Lexus ES F-Sport.) Checked out the Volvo XC90 you mentioned, along with the Audi Q7 and the Lexus GX.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 10:24 AM

15. "Audi was out of the question off GP and my soured history with the brand"
In response to Reply # 12

The weird thing about the Volvo is that it LOOKS large...but once you get in...everything just feels...cramped...maybe not cramped...but compact. I'm not a big dude at all...but sitting in the driver seat of the XC90 my knees rubbed against the door and the center console.... couldn't rest my feet completely flat in the passenger seat which was strange...like, my feet had to be side by side touching to rest flat... the 2nd row seats were rather cramped with knee room if the driver and passenger seats where in the normal positions that we'd keep them in... i'm 5'10" and my wife is 5'7".

I think the price of the Lexus Landcruiser equiv. just turned me off completely....

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 10:36 AM

17. "my MIL has the 3 row Lexus and my SIL has the Chrylser Pacific"
In response to Reply # 12

I love driving the Lexus

the minivan is just a nice lil bus but nah.. not a fan of that style at all.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 10:10 AM

13. "i keep telling people about the traverse"
In response to Reply # 0

in my previous life we made the same decision lol. my girl also didnt want the minivan, i was ready for a minivan just because i knew it would be the most practical. i wasnt gonna fight to convince her to go the minivan route though lol traverse basically gives you a minivan in an suv look.

at least the model year that i had was the same dimensions as a tahoe outside but somehow was more roomy for passengers and had significantly more cargo space.

the newest design looks even better than the previous one. if im ever in the market again for a family vehicle this is where i would start.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 10:38 AM

19. "I think I read that it did have more cargo space than Tahoe somehow..."
In response to Reply # 13

The Tahoe is nice...but damn it's stupid expensive...at least for anything that's not Hertz Rental trim. I WAS tempted by the front bench seat available option though...I'm just amused and impressed that they're still offering a front bench seat in ANY vehicle. I have fond memories of sitting in the middle of the front bench seat of one of my grandfather's numerous Caprice Classics and Lincoln Town Cars... Nothing like the vantage point of the front middle seat of a huge vehicle while cruising down the highway...

mista k5
16414 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 10:46 AM

21. "front bench seats are pretty cool"
In response to Reply # 19

my brother had a tahoe when i had my traverse. we did a road trip with his and the cargo space is almost comical. the traverse isnt huge but its reasonable. the third row on a tahoe is almost useless for an adult. the leg space is almost none. the traverse is cramped in the third row but doable.

one thing the tahoe did have was more width inside. not major but noticeable. im pretty sure there are other benefits to a tahoe but space wise traverse was a better move.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 10:19 AM

14. "I will never understand the aversion to vans"
In response to Reply # 0

they're dope.

we just got a CR-V

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 10:32 AM

16. "I think...THINK... a big part of it for women is the whole way they've b..."
In response to Reply # 14
Thu Apr-22-21 10:33 AM by FLUIDJ

the target audience for them for decades....like...it's just assumed that Mom HAS to own and be the one to drive the mini-van. Like...that's the sole market for them almost. And then the men are just brainwashed into thinking there's something less manly about owning and driving one (i'm like 10% guilty of that myself lol)....

I really do think this Kia Carnival is going to spark shit for the better though. Pacifica proved there was still an untapped market...and Kia is running with it.

My homeboy from waaaay back been into mini-vans since the 90's though. I think he discovered early on how perfect they were for outfitting with the most obscene loud sound systems and stuff lol... He's legit minivan mafia with it...

I don't know what it is/why it is Honda won't just come out with a large size ANYTHING....like...they always land just shy of their competition in size...
Accord Vs. Camry...
CR-V Vs. Rav-4
Passport Vs. Venza?
I think the Pilot might be bigger than the Highlander though....

mista k5
16414 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 10:38 AM

18. "that carnival looks nice"
In response to Reply # 16

i gave serious consideration into a sedona back then, still too much of a minivan look. the carnival looks basically like an suv.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 10:39 AM

20. "a minivan is also a “hey, cam you take the team to practice” vehicle"
In response to Reply # 16

but yeah.. its always been viewed as the end of an era.

once you get that van its over.. lol.

none of this is true but that is the way its perceived.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 10:48 AM

22. "What's wild is that vans USED to be the ultimate dude car.."
In response to Reply # 20

If you had a pickup or a van or a motorcycle or a muscle car then your man-card was pretty much accepted anywhere.

And if you had a CONVERSION VAN!?! Psssht...you were boss status.
I remember my uncle used to stay having the kitted out conversion vans. Lil 12" TV up in the headliner area in the back...and a CB radio up front with the hardwood cupholders.... I'm still salty he wouldn't let me hold it for prom night....

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 12:59 PM

29. "yup, as a kid i used to drool over a fire conversion van."
In response to Reply # 22

especially when they started coming out w/ lower profile tires and/or nice rims.

hold up, your conversion van had all that AND a spoiler on the top? sheeeeeeiiiiit (c) Clay Davis

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 10:50 AM

23. "In reality, it's been over. Van-life is just accepting it and moving on."
In response to Reply # 20

>but yeah.. its always been viewed as the end of an era.
>
>once you get that van its over.. lol.
>
>none of this is true but that is the way its perceived.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Fri Apr-23-21 07:44 AM

34. "its not over - Guy"
In response to Reply # 23

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 10:59 AM

24. "They just aren't fun to drive at all. When I drive my wife's it"

feels like I'm driving a bus. Like when making a quick left in between traffic turn it feels like I gotta tell the kids to hold on tight. On the other hand when driving my sedan it's actually fun driving.

SUVs if they are built on a car platform feel very similar to cars but sitting up higher (I had a Lexus RX before moving to the ES F Sport). I've also had a truck based SUV, which wasn't "fun" to drive but also didn't feel like a bus. Maybe it's because of one of the mini-van benefits - with the large open space it just makes it feel wide and unruly to drive.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Fri Apr-23-21 07:46 AM

35. "lmao at telling the kids to hold on"
In response to Reply # 24

that’s true as hell..

but I guess with a van you aren’t supposed to drive that fast

nonaime
Charter member
3117 posts
Fri Apr-23-21 09:37 AM

36. "Hated driving our Town & Country, but the Pacifica? Sheeiiit"

~~~~~~~~
A bad Samaritan averaging above average men (c) DOOM

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sat Apr-24-21 01:04 AM

37. "I can see them not being fun, but man I've driven SUVs"

from the cr-v / escape up to explorer / navigator / escalade to the jaguar f-pace / mercedes...I think it's the GLE now?

and man the fun you can have in those is super limited. it's not zero, but it's not worth the tradeoff for me

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 11:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
25. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CffO9oIWi9M"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CffO9oIWi9M

>they're dope.
>
>
>we just got a CR-V
>
>www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 12:31 PM

26. "FWD or AWD?"
In response to Reply # 0

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 12:45 PM

27. "AWD."
In response to Reply # 26

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49411 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 03:55 PM

30. "I was thinking this post would be about the Traverse or the Arcadia"
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 06:30 PM

32. "To be honest "
In response to Reply # 0

If your gonna get a van... just get a real one.. mercedes sprinter or a 12-15 passenger van... at least you can make that shit fly and do more activities.

Or

A rape van......

The japanese know wassup

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2757/4246005954_a95ce9ff8d_o.jpg

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Fri Apr-23-21 07:25 AM

33. "These big assed keys though....WTF?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm on Bookman steez right about now....

Lobby General Discussion topic #13430644 Previous topic | Next topic