Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13428780

Subject: "There's just no time anymore" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22248 posts
Tue Mar-30-21 04:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"There's just no time anymore"

So much of the last ten or more years has been about making business more efficient. But all that's done is shifted the work onto us.

Yesterday I had to set up the login for the HOA. I had to access the main webpage, enter my zip and address, which took me to another site where I had to select my community (which should've been automatic from the address/zip), which took me to a third site where I had to register all of my information, which prompted me with a 10 minute expiring code, that I had to call a phone number to give. The first time I called I was on hold for 17 minutes, I selected the call back option and it hung up on me. I called back later in the day after logging in, with a code, and the woman on the other end handled it in less than 5 minutes. However, there's nothing she validated about what I was telling her.

And like EVERYTHING is like that. All of the prefiltering on the business end, just puts you into a different queue. Meanwhile you have to navigate a series of seemingly endless prompts that used to be someones job. Is now on you. The amount of data entry we do to go a doctor, or dentist or whatever ... is just goofy. That used to be a whole ass job, and now it's not, and they force you to do the work for free.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i hear you
Mar 30th 2021
I’m over 40 and I’ve hated talking to people since I was 20
Mar 30th 2021
Also, if you’re not making a web form mobile compatible, you sucketh
Mar 30th 2021
      We do - its a lot of effort
Mar 30th 2021
Self checkout. Walmart near me got rid of all cashiers
Mar 30th 2021
Wow --> got rid of all cashiers!?
Mar 31st 2021
It's just absurd. Only time I self checkout is 5 or fewer items
Mar 31st 2021
I used to appreciate self check out
Mar 31st 2021
      I asked a walmarkz manager why he didn't just open more
Mar 31st 2021
data is gold...
Mar 30th 2021
I definitely prefer filling out info online. But what you're
Mar 31st 2021
Not everything is available online
Mar 31st 2021
I marvel at how everyone you call just has a switchboard now
Mar 31st 2021
i legit just laughed out loud..well done
Apr 01st 2021
RE: There's just no time anymore
Mar 31st 2021
i've come to insta-hate companies that don't have CS numbers
Mar 31st 2021
Last week I broke my iphone to the point I couldn't use the screen
Mar 31st 2021
      jesus F. christ.
Mar 31st 2021
           Or this one ... the health and savings account for kids
Mar 31st 2021
                OH MY GOD FUCK THAT SHIT.
Apr 01st 2021
sounds like a lot of old back end systems that they're
Mar 31st 2021
The amount of time I spend signing up for and learning new platforms
Mar 31st 2021
I was dying managing my logins, now I have my kids. To play fortnite
Apr 03rd 2021
I have a password manager
Apr 03rd 2021

handle
Charter member
18918 posts
Tue Mar-30-21 05:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i hear you"
In response to Reply # 0

I work on the web team for a large hospital system in San Diego.

>So much of the last ten or more years has been about making
>business more efficient. But all that's done is shifted the
>work onto us.
>Is now on you. The
>amount of data entry we do to go a doctor, or dentist or
>whatever ... is just goofy. That used to be a whole ass job,
>and now it's not, and they force you to do the work for free.

There are a few things at work.
1)Young people (under 40) WANT to be able to just go to a website and get a doctor's appointment without ever talking to anyone.

2)Many older people (over 50) can't use a computer system well enough to do fill out all the forms.

I'm ALWAYS pushing to let people do it BOTH ways. But I get pushback:
1)From our computer developers who think that if you can't sign up online you have to be an idiot.
2)Business folks who don't want to staff call centers with more people than 'necessary'- and even if they are staffed it's a long process that takes a lot of time to help.

My theory is that 35 year olds that can operate computers very well will lose some of that ability as they age. Then we have people who are too poor to really have the internet be very available in a way were filling out forms for 20 minutes is a burden. And then we have disabled people who using a computer - even with accessibility features - is harder than just talking to someone on the phone. Don't forget mentally disabled people and people who are 'developmentally" challenged too.

It IS cheaper to have you fill out a form without help because it saves purely on labor cost. And some people prefer it to talking with another human.

It is a barrier and for things not medical you better believe they're shifting it all to self service for the reasons you mention.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Tue Mar-30-21 09:08 PM

4. "I’m over 40 and I’ve hated talking to people since I was 20"
In response to Reply # 1

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Tue Mar-30-21 09:10 PM

5. "Also, if you’re not making a web form mobile compatible, you sucketh "
In response to Reply # 1

Not you specifically Handle….
Just in general.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

handle
Charter member
18918 posts
Tue Mar-30-21 09:22 PM

6. "We do - its a lot of effort"
In response to Reply # 5

I'm saying that we have some folks who like filling out endless forms online - and others who like filling them out in the office with office staff.

We have to address BOTH.

Many companies are going all in on digital only - and under-serving a big part of the population - not us.

But management makes these decisions and most management EVERYWHERE fucking sucks. They take profit OVER customer service at many many companies.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15893 posts
Tue Mar-30-21 05:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Self checkout. Walmart near me got rid of all cashiers"
In response to Reply # 0

Got folks with $200 in groceries spending 30 minutes trying to check out

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16190 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 07:32 AM

9. "Wow --> got rid of all cashiers!?"
In response to Reply # 2

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

MEAT
22248 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 09:14 AM

12. "It's just absurd. Only time I self checkout is 5 or fewer items"
In response to Reply # 2

Anything else I'm not doing

------

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79334 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 09:41 AM

15. "I used to appreciate self check out"
In response to Reply # 2

but it’s definitely shady to have to scan and bag your own shit while making you believe its faster.

Only reason is because they only have 2 lanes open and lines backed up.

I didn’t even peep the game back in Philly when I started noticing them intentionally closing lanes before the rollout of self check out. I went to the manager furious one time and asked why the hell all the lanes were closed on a sunday.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

tariqhu
Charter member
17860 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 11:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "I asked a walmarkz manager why he didn't just open more"
In response to Reply # 15

lanes since shit was backed up with only having 2 cashiers. he said he couldn't make the call. it came from corp.

that's dumb. who knows if he was lying, but I didn't get that vibe.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Tue Mar-30-21 07:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "data is gold..."
In response to Reply # 0

I don’t know much about technology but I know that lol

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 07:14 AM

7. "I definitely prefer filling out info online. But what you're "
In response to Reply # 0

describing is bad web design - information which should autofill but doesn't, unnecessary redirects, etc...and probably because of companies farming out pieces of the customer experience to other companies who are also farming out pieces.

The actual company you're doing business farms out to another company who handles their website. But they went cheap and that company doesn't actually do ecommerce, so that's farmed out to a separate company specifically for that, without any integration of information. That's also separate from a company that maintains a database of client information, etc...

MEAT
22248 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 09:13 AM

11. "Not everything is available online"
In response to Reply # 7

In fact a lot of things aren't. Most places you book an appointment online, show up, walk in, fill out paperwork or tablets.

------

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18362 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 07:16 AM

8. "I marvel at how everyone you call just has a switchboard now"
In response to Reply # 0

you call Home Depot, ok I get it. But you can call your local deli t order a sub and it's like "press one for turkey and cheese, press two for chicken parm...'

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35854 posts
Thu Apr-01-21 10:59 AM

21. "i legit just laughed out loud..well done"
In response to Reply # 8

that should go in a comedy act

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21495 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 08:59 AM

10. "RE: There's just no time anymore"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought it was just me.
Almost Every personal business task is a time consuming pain in the ass now.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 09:36 AM

13. "i've come to insta-hate companies that don't have CS numbers"
In response to Reply # 0

these days, with some companies, if you have an issue, you can't talk to anyone. you have to send an email and then sit down.

its the worst.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

MEAT
22248 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 09:39 AM

14. "Last week I broke my iphone to the point I couldn't use the screen"
In response to Reply # 13

I went to log into sprint, it sent me an SMS code which wouldn't go to my macbook.
Then it wouldn't let me log into my account because I couldn't validate the account.
But I didn't have a phone to call them either.
So I had to go through twitter DM. Every interaction took 15 minutes to get a response.

------

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 03:10 PM

19. "jesus F. christ. "
In response to Reply # 14

what the hell

MEAT
22248 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 03:38 PM

20. "Or this one ... the health and savings account for kids"
In response to Reply # 19

There's no direct site link.
There's a smart choice page that has a back end handshake with being logged into the network at work because that's where you enroll in benefits.
I have a name, an email address, and all of my information associated with the account, I'm looking at it right now
But if I try to access that same page with the portal on my personal computer it tells me there's no email address associated with an account they have and I'd need to register.
Seems easy enough right? Just go on my work computer and login in, but if I try to access smart-choice.wealthcareportal.com on my computer it then takes me to the same log in screen
What I have to do is log into the network
Go to my pay and benefits
Click the benefits drop down
Click the view and enroll in my benefits
Which then takes me to an alight.com portal that has medical, dental, vision, and dependent care ... each of these takes me to another page that I need to register on, except dependent care ... it does a hand shake in the background and logs me in through my work computer network

So from there I can see my balance and submit a payment request for day care. The daycare that exists in another portal. They email you that they've billed your account. But that's not enough proof to submit to wealthcareportal.com because they need dates of service confirmed through the procare app.

So I have to login through that, print as a pdf, save to work computer. Then upload that form. Key in two dates. And then submit.

But what if it's a one time payment like a registration fee you ask? Then they reject it and I have to submit a follow up, because there's no initial notes area to designate it as a one time thing. So even submitting same date on their end, because the paperwork that comes from the daycare doesn't have a date range, they reject it.

All of this is easily 5-10 uninterrupted minutes. And that's only after I'm logged into VPN.
I can go to our home page and log in, but then it takes me to the next page and each of those hand shakes I need to submit user information
OR
I can do VPN, login once, go to the Duo Mobile app, close it, reopen it, approve the push notification, click accept on my computer ... then I'm connected on the drive.

------

double negative
22151 posts
Thu Apr-01-21 11:35 AM

22. "OH MY GOD FUCK THAT SHIT. "
In response to Reply # 20

yeeeeeah no.

jesus.

I thought our tech had issues.

while reading through your steps I was thinking "what? no VPN?" then when you said "..only after I'm logged into VPN".

I can relate bigly.

I'm a mac and pc user for my job. They just killed off the only way to officially share files between the mac and pc...so now I've come to having to do some broke boy shit of airdropping docs from the mac to the phone and then emailing them to myself, then downloading the stuff and emailing it to people.

it wasnt an issue before, but now that Im taking on more responsibility and prodcing MORE documentation, the struggle became real.

tariqhu
Charter member
17860 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 11:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "sounds like a lot of old back end systems that they're"
In response to Reply # 0

trying to layer new apps on top of, but those apps don't contain the data need to complete the whole process.

we deal with this at my job. keep bringing in new software to be more efficient, but never getting rid of or even denying user access to the legacy stuff.

layers upon layers means the opposite of efficient. worst cake ever.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 11:22 AM

18. "The amount of time I spend signing up for and learning new platforms"
In response to Reply # 0

for basic sh*t is so dumb. There are like 3 or 4 different portals that I have to check for my kid's school. they all do similar stuff but some of it is at the class level, some at the school level, some at the district level. And if you need help or it's not working, good luck connecting with the teacher who's assigned to maintain that shit part time or the 3rd party company support that doesn't actually know shit about how your school uses their product.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Sat Apr-03-21 02:32 PM

23. "I was dying managing my logins, now I have my kids. To play fortnite"
In response to Reply # 0

I need a longon for my xbox, one for fortnite (I think another one for epic), then if they play on the switch I need one for that.

So after I figure all that out in about a month I forget about it and they somehow log out and we have to figure it all out all over again.
"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79334 posts
Sat Apr-03-21 05:15 PM

24. "I have a password manager"
In response to Reply # 23

makes life a bit easier for log in.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lobby General Discussion topic #13428780 Previous topic | Next topic