Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13427923

Subject: "Captain America's Sidekicks AKA The Falcon & The Winter Soldier POAST" Previous topic | Next topic
Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14000 posts
Fri Mar-19-21 12:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Captain America's Sidekicks AKA The Falcon & The Winter Soldier POAST"

First episode looks like it'll be an interesting show.

Crazy to me how these are like long form Marvel movies with the effects and writing and everything. Even have the same actors. This never happens with shows.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I would've cashed that loan officer outside.
Mar 19th 2021
RE: I would've cashed that loan officer outside.
Mar 19th 2021
A gov't contractor that does Navy Seal level work and u broke
Mar 21st 2021
      ^^I completely agree
Mar 21st 2021
           Muhphucka sitting in the Avenger compound, stomach growling.
Mar 30th 2021
Good first episode
Mar 20th 2021
Episode 2... Lol @ him finding the hostage
Mar 28th 2021
I am not really following what's going on with this show.
Mar 29th 2021
Because they realized that the Flag Smashers are super soldiers
Mar 29th 2021
      RE: Because they realized that the Flag Smashers are super soldiers
Mar 29th 2021
           >Who is paying >for their airfare to Europe? >
Mar 29th 2021
                Heroes motivation is usually low hanging fruit in these sort of stories
Mar 29th 2021
                     It's a good point, since like you mentioned, THEY brought it up.
Mar 29th 2021
                     I was wondering if they will end up in "The Boys" territory
Mar 29th 2021
                          Yeah, I can see JW being very Homelandery.
Mar 29th 2021
                     The MCU has always had gaping plot holes
Mar 30th 2021
RE: Captain America's Sidekicks AKA The Falcon & The Winter Soldier POAS...
Mar 30th 2021
I think he’s comic book standard “peak human condition”.
Mar 30th 2021
      in the comics, he got his powers from the Power Broker mentioned in Ep. ...
Mar 30th 2021
           RE: in the comics, he got his powers from the Power Broker mentioned in ...
Mar 30th 2021
I want them to go full buddy cop flic homage
Mar 30th 2021
Joint was amazing and Episode 5 was a masterpiece...
Apr 25th 2021
Finished. Didn't expect them to confront race so head-on
May 06th 2021

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23861 posts
Fri Mar-19-21 06:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I would've cashed that loan officer outside."
In response to Reply # 0

You gobble a dude's nuts for being recognizable and famous but still wanna nitpick that he doesn't have income from the past 5 years because he didn't exist.

The new Cap is skinny as fuck, and has the most punchable face.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Boogie Stimuli
14000 posts
Fri Mar-19-21 10:35 PM

2. "RE: I would've cashed that loan officer outside."
In response to Reply # 1

>The new Cap is skinny as fuck, and has the most punchable
>face.

Lol, yeah dude looks like he's gonna die in his first legit battle.

~
~
~
~
~

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Sun Mar-21-21 12:39 AM

4. "A gov't contractor that does Navy Seal level work and u broke"
In response to Reply # 1

Sam needed to stay blipped if he can't flip being an Avenger into some cash.

Pepper couldn't give him an expense check from Stark Industries???

FOH

------------------
One Hundred.

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Sun Mar-21-21 12:45 PM

5. "^^I completely agree"
In response to Reply # 4

The story is that an Avenger can't afford a fucking broke down boat?????

I mean have Doctor Strange magic up some money. Or Stark Industries. Or the fucking royal family of Wakanda.

Or do a fucking speaking engagement for a corporation.

Or get a Cameo account.

Or get money from SHEILD.

Shit, do a traveling improv show.

Start a fucking GoFundMe.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Tue Mar-30-21 09:14 PM

21. "Muhphucka sitting in the Avenger compound, stomach growling."
In response to Reply # 5

that Italian dude that work for Stark make more than him.

SMH.

------------------
One Hundred.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16404 posts
Sat Mar-20-21 08:51 AM

3. "Good first episode"
In response to Reply # 0

Kind of weird, for Wanda I didn't know what to expect and that made me want to watch it. Going into it I thought it might end up being something I really like or something I didn't like at all.

This one I mostly didn't care about, figured it would just be predictable and only want to watch because of the mcu. First episode already has me caring and entertained lol

The trailers didn't do it for me but I did like the first episode.

Boogie Stimuli
14000 posts
Sun Mar-28-21 09:06 AM

6. "Episode 2... Lol @ him finding the hostage"
In response to Reply # 0

I wonder how long before new Cap goes full bad guy. These damn action scenes are straight outta the movies.

~
~
~
~
~

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Mon Mar-29-21 09:18 AM

7. "I am not really following what's going on with this show. "
In response to Reply # 0

Why did they go see the old black guy at that point in time?

Are Falcon and Winter Soldier investigating the borderless people? Why? Doesn't Falcon need to focus on something that actually pays the bills?

Why do they need to go visit the Dude from the Avengers movie at the end of Episode 2?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Mon Mar-29-21 10:21 AM

8. "Because they realized that the Flag Smashers are super soldiers"
In response to Reply # 7

>Why did they go see the old black guy at that point in time?
>
>Why do they need to go visit the Dude from the Avengers movie
>at the end of Episode 2?

So they are trying to get any information they can on the super soldier serum - Bucky knew that Isaiah Bradley was a super soldier, which means he might have information, they know that Zemo had an agenda against all super soldiers and had a ton of intel on them.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Mon Mar-29-21 11:11 AM

9. "RE: Because they realized that the Flag Smashers are super soldiers"
In response to Reply # 8

Ok. I kinda missed that.

And they don't work for anyone in particular? Who is paying for their airfare to Europe?

I think I got focused on money when they kick the show off talking about his money problems.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Mon Mar-29-21 11:14 AM

10. ">Who is paying >for their airfare to Europe? >"
In response to Reply # 9

UNCLEAR.

It's stupid of them to make money an issue for Sam in his personal life. I mean where does he keep that suit? Who repairs it/ (Is it just him and a soldering iron?)

I don't see them reporting to anyone either.

They should have them have resources from Stark - or Shield or somewhere in passing and never talk about money again.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Mon Mar-29-21 01:15 PM

11. "Heroes motivation is usually low hanging fruit in these sort of stories"
In response to Reply # 10

Either you are working for someone like Shield, Govt, etc.

Or driven by some personal demons.

Or have some somewhat self-ish/ self serving motivation.

They introduced Falcon's family needing help but then I am like well we see Falcon can use some dough, why does he even care about the flag smashers?

Sounds like a small thing to get hung up on but I feel like the show is meandering at just two episodes in.

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Mon Mar-29-21 01:31 PM

12. "It's a good point, since like you mentioned, THEY brought it up."
In response to Reply # 11

In general in the MCU that's a suspense of disbelief type of issue - in the past they were working for SHEILD, then more directly with Stark. At this point they must be somewhat still working for/with the Government, since they ended up on the same mission as fake Cap, and they mentioned Redwing being "government property".

I would have assumed that they'd still have some Stark funding, or Fury funding, but since they specifically mentioned Sam's $$$ problems either that isn't the case, or any funding is specifically only for related expenses (like their flight to Europe) and maybe some compensation, but not enough for him to be helping to fund the family business (or even to show regular income for a business loan.)

All this being said, since they brought up the money issue, I'd assume that it will come up again at some point with some kind of explanation. Plenty of time to do that, and I always appreciate when a show doesn't lay everything out at once, but plants seeds that are then revisited later.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Mon Mar-29-21 04:39 PM

13. "I was wondering if they will end up in "The Boys" territory"
In response to Reply # 12

The roll out of John Walker felt very The Boys like. The Falcon dealing with money issues and taking commercial gigs to get dough would be a very much in the The Boys lane too.

JFrost1117
23861 posts
Mon Mar-29-21 05:42 PM

14. "Yeah, I can see JW being very Homelandery."
In response to Reply # 13

Once he gets some powers. He's already got some unwarranted confidence with the shield, suit, and recognition/fame. When he gets some powers, that head is gonna get biiig.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22248 posts
Tue Mar-30-21 11:36 AM

17. "The MCU has always had gaping plot holes "
In response to Reply # 11
Tue Mar-30-21 11:36 AM by MEAT

That they cover up by having good moments, a full on extended universe, and then tons of follow up/backstory/easter eggs

If it doesn't make sense, it will in 15 years when the family boat ends up on Asgard or some shit or we find out it was made of vibranium.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7005 posts
Tue Mar-30-21 09:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "RE: Captain America's Sidekicks AKA The Falcon & The Winter Soldier POAS..."
In response to Reply # 0

I like that the show is sort of an existential battle for caps shield with all the different captain america’s

Do we think JW is already on some form of the super serum? What kinda shady shit was him and his boy doing in Latin America?

Is Falcon gonna get juiced up at some point to even the playing field?

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

JFrost1117
23861 posts
Tue Mar-30-21 12:44 PM

18. "I think he’s comic book standard “peak human condition”."
In response to Reply # 15

As fit as you can be without powers or added flavorings.

I think he’s gonna roid rage and flame out, or get his ass beat by Bucky.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Tue Mar-30-21 02:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "in the comics, he got his powers from the Power Broker mentioned in Ep. ..."
In response to Reply # 18

He's even more of a nationalist than Captain America also. It's smart of them to skip the Super-Patriot phase of his career, partially because that character just doesn't work today and it opens up interesting possibilities for if/when he DOES get powers. A shield and a gun won't help him be Cap forever.

Side note: I thought it was interesting they showed him using a gun right away in his first fight, but then I re-watched Civil War and I totally forgot Sam straight up dropped bombs on two dudes in that opening fight sequence. I feel like the number of Avengers with blood directly on their hands (setting aside all the building and city murder and what not) is very low, but I was a little surprised it's not zero.

I don't enjoy the speculation based on comics thing because it gets people way too wound up in stuff that may or may not happen (see: Game of Thrones, WandaVision) but there's a lot of gristle there for the character to be pretty interesting.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7005 posts
Tue Mar-30-21 03:33 PM

20. "RE: in the comics, he got his powers from the Power Broker mentioned in ..."
In response to Reply # 19

Yea,

I am not a comic head in any way but I enjoy the pre-existing folklore when things get on the screen. It allows me to jump in the rabbit hole a bit deeper.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Tue Mar-30-21 10:08 AM

16. "I want them to go full buddy cop flic homage"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-30-21 10:08 AM by Buddy_Gilapagos

Teased it with the scene with the psychologist but they should double down and have all the tropes. Slamming a badge on a screaming sargents desk. Falcon saying "he's too old for this shit". I want it all.

Dstl1
Charter member
56191 posts
Sun Apr-25-21 10:38 AM

22. "Joint was amazing and Episode 5 was a masterpiece..."
In response to Reply # 0

I waited till the series was done and binged it. So worth it. Really glad I listened to my homie who implored me to watch.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Boogie Stimuli
14000 posts
Thu May-06-21 10:32 AM

23. "Finished. Didn't expect them to confront race so head-on"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-06-21 10:33 AM by Boogie Stimuli

I wasn't mad at that at all. I feel like all the input they got during the Black Panther movie creation has shown them an untapped avenue in (white) comic movies. An entire movie addressing the Isaiah Bradley situation would be great. I won't hold out for that, but I never even thought they would introduce the idea of the Black men they experimented on before creating Captain America. Now THAT'S reality-based, because it's exactly how that would go down if it was real. It's weak that simple recognition made Isaiah that happy after they showed how angry and hurt he was over what all was taken from him, but this is white folks at the helm, ultimately, so them addressing our issues has to fall short. Just surprised they did anything in that direction at all.

But anyway, this was a very well-done show that I'm tending to recommend to people who aren't DEEP into superhero kinds of shows but dig action, since it's not "laser in the hands" kind of supernatural stuff going on and is more based in reality. Really gotta give it to Marvel for the way they're weaving it all together and using the shows as bridges between movies in an ever-evolving story.

One small thing I liked here was that Falcon learned to use the shield off by himself instead of them depicting him as a clumsy failure in the heat of battle (as opposed to how DC did with Black Kid Flash). By the time he does live, he's killing it.

I couldn't help laughing at how sad John Walker was after the Dora Milaj kicked his ass. "They weren't even super soldier" lmao.

~
~
~
~
~

Lobby General Discussion topic #13427923 Previous topic | Next topic