Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13426659

Subject: "Who's got new car fever?? I got it :(" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 10:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Who's got new car fever?? I got it :("

My car is totally fine. Runs well. NO issues -NONE. It's paid off.

But I've got new car fever for some reason.

I think it's because I helped negotiate a car deal for a friend and I'm in the groove. (I saved them like $1,000 on a Civic.)

Thinking of a hybrid CR-V or hybrid Toyota RAV4/Venza/Highlander type car.

I'm going to try wait this out, but is anyone else going through this too?

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Haha I get like this every 2-3 years.
Mar 09th 2021
i really want to get to not having a car payment
Mar 09th 2021
I'm kinda there.
Mar 09th 2021
I did but Covid threw a wrench in everything...
Mar 09th 2021
I used Carvana for the first time.
Mar 09th 2021
I AM HERE....
Mar 09th 2021
Same here
Mar 09th 2021
people prob think i'm broke judging by what i drive...
Mar 09th 2021
That mach-e could seriously be my first electric car.
Mar 09th 2021
Love New Cars!
Mar 09th 2021
me too.. but instead I will get new tires.. lmao
Mar 09th 2021
i saw a video about weird tires
Mar 09th 2021
      seen those in prototype mags but didnt know they were legal
Mar 09th 2021
           i thought the video said they would be out in a few years
Mar 09th 2021
Kinda liking the old Toyota FJ or the new Bronco
Mar 09th 2021
I need a minivan in my life.
Mar 09th 2021
i hate my car
Mar 09th 2021
damn, man....
Mar 10th 2021
      and i'm in a wet hilly city
Mar 10th 2021
someone mentioned the Mach E above. school me on something...
Mar 10th 2021
really its design / air flow issue
Mar 10th 2021
Grills are to cool the radiator, eletrics don't have those
Mar 10th 2021
i hope they start putting fake ones, or something.
Mar 10th 2021
      a big portion of grills are already fake
Mar 10th 2021
      you see the fake ass exhaust tips on the audi and mercedes SUVs?
Mar 10th 2021
they're all trying to maximize the mileage
Mar 10th 2021
I still want to get a truck (or van)
Mar 10th 2021
SUV or cross-over recs?
Mar 11th 2021
doesn’t sound like you want to go too terribly big...
Mar 12th 2021
      thanks
Mar 12th 2021
I got a a 2012 Pilot...runs great, got some bad body work though
Mar 12th 2021
pick up truck - Tacoma
Mar 12th 2021

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 10:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Haha I get like this every 2-3 years."
In response to Reply # 0

Same deal, my car is only 3 years old, low mileage, 100% paid off, no issues whatsoever ...

... but I'm itching. And usually this happens as you mentioned: when someone close to me buys a new car and/or I've helped them buy one. In this case, I just want a new one. No real reason why.

Prolly won't pull the trigger for a while. I like having no car payment. But if I see a good looking deal ...........

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 10:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i really want to get to not having a car payment"
In response to Reply # 1

i also want that taycan lol

ill stick with my 17k mile elantra for a while.

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 10:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I'm kinda there."
In response to Reply # 0

my car is also paid. nearing 100k. no issues.

I'll prolly just by some rims. lol

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 10:52 AM

4. "I did but Covid threw a wrench in everything..."
In response to Reply # 0

My truck died (it was paid off). I knew it was coming and I had been in the process of researching new vehicles to try to see what I wanted. In the meanwhile, it was a simple thing for me & the lady to share her car. But I was ready to hit the streets and do some test drives and all that. I was eager to find something new.

Then the pandemic hit and we've both been working from home for just about a full year now. There was no reason for me to buy something and have it just sit there.

And now, my job is moving our offices to a brand new building that's a 15 minute walk from my house. We're thinking that we may have to switch up our basic vehicle situation soon. We'll see what happens post-Covid.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 10:59 AM

5. "I used Carvana for the first time. "
In response to Reply # 0

Loved the experience. They came and scooped up the trade in and delivered my new Forester

I drove it around for about twenty mins to take it on the Fwy. The guy said no rush, as he wanted to test drive my old car.

Probably won’t ever need to go to a dealership again

Dstl1
Charter member
56230 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 11:24 AM

7. "I AM HERE...."
In response to Reply # 5

mom bought a car off Carvana, told me all about. I did a little research...bought myself one...it'll be 2 years in April. Wifey got one, last March. Kinda gettin the upgrade itch and if I do, it will be with them. Cannot see myself stepping foot in a dealership, again...except for warranty service.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 11:07 AM

6. "Same here"
In response to Reply # 0

The car I got now I basically signed under duress when my credit was fucked up but it's been paid off since last year.

It's a 2011 Lexus ES 350. It rides smooth, it only has 130k on it and I save my old car payment every month.

I have no real reason to by a C 300, but fuck if I don't want one. I gotta talk myself of a ledge everyday. I scheduled some time to test drive one and then ghosted them because I knew I was gonna fuck up and drive off the lot with it.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 12:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "people prob think i'm broke judging by what i drive..."
In response to Reply # 0

...do not care ..shit is paid off and runs fine ...now if i was young and single? Different story altogether!

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

select_from_where
Member since Jan 03rd 2011
4342 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 12:37 PM

9. "That mach-e could seriously be my first electric car. "
In response to Reply # 0

I just bought a murano (I know, but they gave me a serious deal) though so it will wait a few years.

but I saw one on the street and instantly knew what it was.

that car just drives different. in a great way

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 12:39 PM

10. "Love New Cars!"
In response to Reply # 0

I go to the dealership to test drive new cars all the time. The new Toyota Rav 4 is so dope in terms of design, comfort, size and features. A very popular car.

I don't want car payments so I just have to fantasize until I get grown and sexy car around 55 years old. Holding on to my car until the last tire.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79605 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 02:20 PM

11. "me too.. but instead I will get new tires.. lmao"
In response to Reply # 0

I’m all about the EV’s right now.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 02:24 PM

12. "i saw a video about weird tires"
In response to Reply # 11

kind of want to get some of these but um i dont know. it would be nice to not have to worry about air pressure and flats. its supposedly better for the environment since they will last much longer. they look kind of weird and um are expensive lol

https://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Tweel-Assembly-26x12-00-12-Mowers/dp/B07MTLFV5X/

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79605 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 04:27 PM

15. "seen those in prototype mags but didnt know they were legal"
In response to Reply # 12

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 04:32 PM

16. "i thought the video said they would be out in a few years"
In response to Reply # 15

didnt expect to find listings for them to be honest.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 02:27 PM

13. "Kinda liking the old Toyota FJ or the new Bronco"
In response to Reply # 0

we need a second car. I am not into the idea.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 02:47 PM

14. "I need a minivan in my life. "
In response to Reply # 0

Vacations will be made strictly by automobile for the foreseeable future.
Want/"need" something with a little more accommodations....

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 05:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "i hate my car"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-09-21 05:56 PM by bearfield

i loved my old 2006 subaru wrx. several years ago it was totaled by some jackass hitting it when they sped through a stop sign. i didn't have the right kind of insurance policy to get an equivalent replacement. the only thing i could do was take the money offered and buy the best car i could afford at the time: a 2007 civic. it's a constant reminder that i no longer have that 2006 wrx that i really enjoyed driving. i hate this car so much that i wish someone would steal it so i could get money towards a different car. i almost wish someone would run into it and total this piece of shit but i don't want the injury risk. i'm working towards getting my money up for a 2017 audi a4. what i really wish is that i didn't live somewhere where owning a car was necessary to accomplish anything outside of my apartment

Dstl1
Charter member
56230 posts
Wed Mar-10-21 11:43 AM

23. "damn, man...."
In response to Reply # 17

my heart broke for you, lol. Civics aren't even bad cars, but to go from a WRX to a Civic...just the driving aspect, alone...damn.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Wed Mar-10-21 03:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
27. "and i'm in a wet hilly city"
In response to Reply # 23

little rock gets a ton of rain every year and there are only a handful of flat areas in the city. this civic can't handle inclement weather or inclines and declines at all. that wrx converted me to AWD for life. it was such responsive and capable driving machine 😢

PROMO
Charter member
30969 posts
Wed Mar-10-21 09:52 AM

18. "someone mentioned the Mach E above. school me on something..."
In response to Reply # 0

please.

car design matters to me. it matters a lot. i wanna drive something that looks good.

is there a reason why electrics don't have grills? is that just a aesthetics choice to look futuristic or something, or is there a functional reason why an electric can't have a grill?

cuz, like, the Mach E looks pretty nice except for the fucking Tesla ass front end (and i think all Tesla's look like shit cuz of that too if you're wondering).

select_from_where
Member since Jan 03rd 2011
4342 posts
Wed Mar-10-21 10:55 AM

19. "really its design / air flow issue"
In response to Reply # 18
Wed Mar-10-21 10:58 AM by select_from_where

Electric cars have no engines and instead of a frunk most of the time.

In gas powered card, the grill inhales a lot of air that increases friction.

in electric cars, the power equation is flipped, there is not as much energy stored in each kilo-watt hour, compared to a gasoline situation.

One example of this is: electric powered cars get BETTER mileage in city driving and worse on the highway. obviously for gas powered vehicles this dynamic is flipped.

Because of this, electric cars require a LOT of design tweaks to make them efficient, one is removing the grill, other are ensuring little drag and low center of gravity as possible.

Long story short, this is what the designs will be moving forward, as manufacturers get a handle on baseline specs, this is going to get further engrained in the design.

On the other side, we will see sleeker designs from this, you may even see some cars with stealth-nose like front designs. whips will be looking very crazy in the next 10 years.

unfukwitable
Charter member
22112 posts
Wed Mar-10-21 11:03 AM

20. "Grills are to cool the radiator, eletrics don't have those"
Wed Mar-10-21 11:05 AM by unfukwitable

so while you could theoretically put one on an electric car it'll be weird

======================================
http://www.zuitomedia.com/

PROMO
Charter member
30969 posts
Wed Mar-10-21 11:10 AM

22. "i hope they start putting fake ones, or something."
In response to Reply # 20

otherwise i might never drive a new car again, lol.

gonna be the year 2040 and i'mma be shopping for a 1995.

mista k5
16414 posts
Wed Mar-10-21 01:17 PM

24. "a big portion of grills are already fake"
In response to Reply # 22

they serve no practical function. more specifically, the size of them is much bigger than needed.

since grills would lower fuel economy and are not needed on EVs i don't think it will be common to put fake ones. i do agree that the current designs dont look great because of this. im sure we eventually will get better looking ones without needing to add fake grills though.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Mar-10-21 01:51 PM

26. "you see the fake ass exhaust tips on the audi and mercedes SUVs?"
In response to Reply # 22

shit is a jooooke

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Mar-10-21 01:49 PM

25. "they're all trying to maximize the mileage"

and that blunt ass nose actually cuts down the drag compared to typical car grilles

the audi e-trons look fine to me, so I think there's better that can be done, it's just a styling choice

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Wed Mar-10-21 11:07 AM

21. "I still want to get a truck (or van)"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-10-21 11:07 AM by flipnile

Something with a tow hitch. V6 Tacoma extended cab would be dope, but the salt on the roads here really makes finding non-rusty used trucks kinda hard. Might have to buy something from down south one day.

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 10:19 PM

28. "SUV or cross-over recs?"
In response to Reply # 0

wife has a 2010 Honda Pilot that is in good shape and a neighborhood driver (her commute is 5 miles). 127k miles.

but the daughter is coming up on needing a car and I'm debating whether just to pass the Pilot on to her and buy my wife a new vehicle. thing is, I don't love the new Pilot/CR-V designs.

I buy only Civics for myself but would like something with more space as the second family car. not looking to get a big SUV, though.

--------

Dstl1
Charter member
56230 posts
Fri Mar-12-21 08:30 AM

29. "doesn’t sound like you want to go too terribly big..."
In response to Reply # 28

So, some quality joints you could take a peak at:
Toyota RAV4
Toyota CHR
Mazda CX-5
Kia Sportage
Nissan Rogue Sport

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Fri Mar-12-21 04:33 PM

32. "thanks"
In response to Reply # 29

I think those CX-5s might be what we're looking for

--------

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Fri Mar-12-21 01:33 PM

30. "I got a a 2012 Pilot...runs great, got some bad body work though"
In response to Reply # 0

i want a S550.

I plan on keeping the pilot though bc the space comes in handy and its only got 80K miles on it. Plus i play softball so that shit gets dirty in the summer.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Fri Mar-12-21 02:30 PM

31. "pick up truck - Tacoma"
In response to Reply # 0

never thought I'd seriously want/need one.

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

Lobby General Discussion topic #13426659 Previous topic | Next topic