Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13426572

Subject: "A vaccine ethical dilemma" Previous topic | Next topic
Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 04:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: A vaccine ethical dilemma"
Mon Mar-08-21 04:07 PM by Damali

My old boss is offering me to get vaccinated along with other teachers & child care workers because where i used to work is considered child care

but in nj, i'm registered, but its not my turn yet. i'm not a teacher. i work from home. no medical challenges. low risk

it feels wrong to say yes...i'm leaning toward saying thanks but no thanks

NJ teachers are JUST now getting vaccinated and it doesn't feel right to slide in that line when i'm no longer working directly with kids...

but other people keep saying, get it if you can get it

d

Poll result (18 votes)
Get it (13 votes)Vote
Dont get it (5 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i get the dilemma...but get it if you can
Mar 08th 2021
I really doubt if you say no that the vaccine will be given to a teacher...
Mar 08th 2021
The doctors have been saying if you can get it, get it
Mar 08th 2021
it's no dilemma. if you can get it, get it.
Mar 08th 2021
get that shit.. dont over think it
Mar 08th 2021
Get it. I've been doing like you and I'm pissed at all the people who
Mar 08th 2021
I voted no
Mar 08th 2021
Get it
Mar 08th 2021
No
Mar 08th 2021
y'all brought in some great points. i should get it...
Mar 08th 2021
It's good for all of us when *anyone* gets vaccinated. The more
Mar 08th 2021
thank you
Mar 08th 2021
ok i signed up. we'll see what happens.
Mar 08th 2021
if you get the opportunity to get, go head and get it
Mar 08th 2021
Get it
Mar 08th 2021
If you have a clear path to get it, take it
Mar 08th 2021
saw Latifah was getting it in NJ...
Mar 10th 2021
get that shit
Mar 10th 2021

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 04:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i get the dilemma...but get it if you can"
In response to Reply # 0

we're still working out the kinks, I don't know if we've reached 100% effiency and using up all allocated slots or if units are being ruined due to the infrastructure cluster fuck.

the cdc is now saying it's ok to gather if you have your vaccine...which to me is going to be a recipe for disaster. how many people are going to say "oh I TOTALLY got mine, now pass the dutchie" when they know they havent had shit.

were thigs moving as they should have bene moving then I would lean towards wait

but all of the things PLUS the incoming single hit J&J vaccine makes me hopefully things will be moving faster soon

or, I dunno, we get bitch slapped with a damn mutated strain and go back to our caves for another year or whatever

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 04:18 PM

2. "I really doubt if you say no that the vaccine will be given to a teacher..."
In response to Reply # 0

I would bet it would be given to someone else that is no more deserving of it. Unless you know someone else that is in more need of getting it and your boss would allow them to get it instead I say get it.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 04:21 PM

3. "The doctors have been saying if you can get it, get it"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes, ideally you wait your turn. But if it's available to you, you get it. It's a big country, the rules are different between the 50 states, territories, the federal government, and even between counties.

If you can get it, get it.

It's really not much different from saying "I won't be a person that'll take up a ventilator if I contract COVID" ... because that's what you're physically opting out of with a shot.

You're transforming any potential case of COVID you come into contact with to the least transmissible (for the people around you/stop the spread) and freeing up resources (hospital bed, attention, ventilator, etc) for those that have contacted it.

Because we're not starting from zero. The point we're at is uncontrolled spread, under testing, and mixing mutations.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 04:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "it's no dilemma. if you can get it, get it."
In response to Reply # 0

shit isn't equitable or fair, but you as one person cn't really affect that by not getting it.

what you can do is do your best to not catch/spread covid by taking precautions, including getting vaccinated asap.

I wish it were all fairer and better but it ain't

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79591 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 04:31 PM

5. "get that shit.. dont over think it"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MikaDanteBrown
Member since Oct 01st 2005
6964 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 04:31 PM

6. "Get it. I've been doing like you and I'm pissed at all the people who "
In response to Reply # 0

I know don't yet qualify getting their shots. My jaws are even tighter, when it's somebody who's been out here doing the most. I have co-morbidities. I'm so over this bs.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 04:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "I voted no"
In response to Reply # 0

But it really depends on what the constraints on the system are. And this is a question I don't know the answer to.

Really it comes down to "am I taking a shot away from a person who is supposed to be getting it?"

If there are doses available, nurses waiting around to give them out, but people aren't coming in to get vaccinated, then I'd feel perfectly fine getting it.

But if there is limited supplies or limited nurses to administer, but my connects can slide me to the front...then nah I'll have to pass.

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 04:33 PM

8. "Get it"
In response to Reply # 0

Why would you wait??

Do you think there's a list of people who "deserve it" in the exact order that's morally right?

As long as your not bribing someone or breaking a statue then GET IT!

Get it in your arm - then if you feel guilty go do volunteer work to help others get it.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5187 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 04:41 PM

9. "No"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't cut the line.

---------------------------
Signature

Damali
35865 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 05:27 PM

10. "y'all brought in some great points. i should get it..."
In response to Reply # 0

thanks I appreciate this insight

i do tend to overthink stuff like this cuz equity means alot to me. but the point about 'will someone else more deserving get it if i don't" hits home cuz the answer is most likely no. and there is no supply shortage here, per se

thanks again, y'all

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 05:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "It's good for all of us when *anyone* gets vaccinated. The more"
In response to Reply # 0

vaccinated people there are the less the virus can jump between people.

Get it.

Damali
35865 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 07:51 PM

12. "thank you"
In response to Reply # 11

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

Damali
35865 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 08:01 PM

13. "ok i signed up. we'll see what happens."
In response to Reply # 0

Latina212
Member since Apr 28th 2003
8731 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 09:16 PM

14. "if you get the opportunity to get, go head and get it"
In response to Reply # 0

i am 41, wfh, no medical issues, and low risk.
my university has a medical center attached to it
and they were moving to 1b before the city was going to start
some faculty members felt bad about getting it before ppl over 65, those with health conditions, etc...
but you not getting it is not saving anyone. getting it will protect you and lower the risk of you giving it to someone else.
i'm one of the youngest in my dept and ended up getting it before anyone in my entire college. i am taking classes in the college of public health, and every one related to the medical side of campus was offered the vaccine so that's how I ended up getting it so quickly.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 10:09 PM

15. "Get it"
In response to Reply # 0

It’s not like you lied or cheated to make it happen. I can’t wait to get mine.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Mon Mar-08-21 11:05 PM

16. "If you have a clear path to get it, take it"
In response to Reply # 0

It's clear the states are figuring out the distribution on the fly.

The stages for distribution have been defined but it's hard to remain patient when you don't know when your stage will be eligible and it's also not clear exactly where you are supposed to get vaccinated.

Do you go to your primary care provider, local pharmacy, state health department or mass vaccination site?

Hopefully it gets clearer as time goes on. I do think the distribution has largely been fair because I think 99.9% of people are having the same challenges getting vaccinated.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

sosumi
Member since May 30th 2012
858 posts
Wed Mar-10-21 03:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "saw Latifah was getting it in NJ..."
In response to Reply # 0

as a sign of confidence to the community

seems like you are the type of community member/activist
who could convince others to get vaccinated based on experience

wluv
Member since Jan 27th 2003
4362 posts
Wed Mar-10-21 03:32 PM

18. "get that shit"
In response to Reply # 0

the way they are ramping these vaccines up, everybody and their momma is going to be vaccinated in 8 weeks.

Supplies are ramping up.

You might as well get yours.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13426572 Previous topic | Next topic