Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13426149

Subject: "Is BIPOC a spectrum? " Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 09:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is BIPOC a spectrum? "

Thinking about this in the wake of the Reply All shit of the past couple of weeks. Quick hits, RA went to do a 4 part series exposing the insanity that was Bon Appétit. They made it to episode 2 and then things fell apart as one host and the lead reporter on the series faced allegations of doing the same shit they were reporting about. Series canceled. Host and reporter leave.

Now the thing that stood out is when i told my wife the deal she said, see that shit she (the reporter Shruti) said at the beginning of ep 1 was the clue.

Basically she's like I never thought of myself as a Poc until I started working on this story.

And that's the thing because while it may be (somewhat) easy to point out poc by the color of their skin, where they actually fit on the spectrum of experience being a poc in the US.

Many poc exist under the assumption of being better than the BI people and it is only when they get lots of push back that the reality starts to set in. And even then... Even then.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I instantly unsubscribed when I learned the news. I'm almost sad.
Mar 05th 2021
Agreed on RA
Mar 05th 2021
where can I find a juicy article or podcast on this fallout
Dec 01st 2021
This is my first time seeing the word BIPOC
Mar 05th 2021
My first time using it but it's definitely a thing
Mar 05th 2021
I seen it on here a while back
Nov 30th 2021
POC is a radical political identity
Mar 05th 2021
I agree on the coopt of POC
Mar 05th 2021
It took me a minute to realize you're talking about a podcast
Mar 05th 2021
Well this isn't a rallying call more like an awareness check
Mar 05th 2021
wut?
Mar 05th 2021
I wanted to make a how do you feel about the term BIPOC post
Nov 30th 2021
I am not entirely sure the origin
Dec 04th 2021
brief time of appreciating the BI
Nov 30th 2021
BILAM?? This is the problem with these acronyms
Dec 01st 2021
Just another attempt to lessen our Blackness...
Dec 01st 2021
      Not sure what it is to be honest
Dec 01st 2021
           I feel like our Blackness, our history, our position, our struggle is un...
Dec 01st 2021
                We know how this ends
Dec 01st 2021
What does BILAM or PGM do that People of Color not do?
Dec 01st 2021
      gives someone a chance to trademark a new term?
Dec 01st 2021
      Include Asians?
Dec 01st 2021
For some reason, this went over my head back in March...
Dec 01st 2021
Freedom is another example
Dec 04th 2021

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 09:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I instantly unsubscribed when I learned the news. I'm almost sad. "
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-05-21 09:48 AM by double negative

Gimlet hit the ground hoard. I loved everything they did, but once they got big and got picked up by spotify, I felt they lost the hunger and the content started to get watered down. They were also hitting the ears pretty hard with a stream of unending content...now my fave shows seem to just sporadically drop stuff.

Reply All's first 4 years were super solid.

Then...what, the last episode before the BA series was the host writing some god-fucking-awful song about the environment?

I felt like the Bon Appétit story was hinting at the old RA magic which is why I'm just so turned off that they ended the way they did.

Funny story, our first child's midwife was in the same coworking space as Gimlet and Rap Genius. I was happily surprised to find the Genius office, but I was super hyped to see the Gimlet office (me then: "yoooooo, thats...thats them!").

Were I in the same situation now, I'd be slightly interested but not excited in the same way I was then (me now: "oh. so that's the place.
").

The BIPOC thing..I didnt think much about the host saying she didnt think of herself as POC. It's a weird split for ccertain groups in the US. I thought the story would end with her reflecting on the subject and realizing that she is a person of color AND taking on the identity is not resignation or an excuse to stop fighting.

The statement that stuck out for me was when she mentioned being friends with some of the people in the story...I thought "Oh, you're on the inside. interesting"

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 10:46 AM

4. "Agreed on RA"
In response to Reply # 1

They had pretty much fell off my radar until ep 1 of Bon Appétit dropped and everyone told me I had to listen. It was cool early on but then got pretty full of itself.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Wed Dec-01-21 12:53 PM

19. "where can I find a juicy article or podcast on this fallout"
In response to Reply # 1

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 10:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This is my first time seeing the word BIPOC"
In response to Reply # 0

So I read a couple of articles on it. People really trying to make this a thing?

I better not hear anyone call me a BIPOC

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 10:39 AM

3. "My first time using it but it's definitely a thing "
In response to Reply # 2

And in many ways it is trying to do what this post is suggesting. Just making it clear there is a distinctly different experience for poc and the black and indigenous people of this country. I don't mind it.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Nov-30-21 02:28 PM

11. "I seen it on here a while back"
In response to Reply # 2

and my wife used it when she was taking some classes and did a few podcast with a coworker for a grant.

Just feels like there are people sitting around thinking of acronyms so they can get a frw stacks writing some papers.

anytime someone goes on a acronym run I just tell them “I’m BLACK.. wrap it up and get to the meat”

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 10:47 AM

5. "POC is a radical political identity "
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-05-21 10:50 AM by afrogirl_lost

that has been horribly co-opted. I don't allow people to refer to me as BIPOC, POC, or as a woman of color. It assumes a solidarity that doesn't exist. I've had to insist that people refer to me as a Black woman.

And I listened to both episodes and knew that Indian woman was full of shit. It was nice to hear from the younger Black folks though.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 10:59 AM

6. "I agree on the coopt of POC"
In response to Reply # 5

But I thought (hoped) BIPOC was the push back. But I get where you are coming from.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 11:58 AM

7. "It took me a minute to realize you're talking about a podcast"
In response to Reply # 0

A very popular podcast at that.

damn.

anyways, Im black, POC solidarity sounds like a pipeline to co-option and erasure. We can barely have a pro black movement without it getting absorbed by non black people or wealthy black people with bad intentions. Strong pass.

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 12:05 PM

8. "Well this isn't a rallying call more like an awareness check"
In response to Reply # 7

This is the language being used around us, about us, and it's use on and of itself is telling of the intentions. So when you start hearing it out in the wild you can be aware of the sensibilities of those using it.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 12:06 PM

9. "wut?"
In response to Reply # 0

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49408 posts
Tue Nov-30-21 02:15 PM

10. "I wanted to make a how do you feel about the term BIPOC post"
In response to Reply # 0

and found this.

I find in DEI work there is a need to identify underrepresented groups of people of color (Black, Latino & Native American) to the exclusion of groups that are sufficiently represented (i.e., Asian) in certain fields like education & career development. I thought that was what the term BIPOC meant. Turns out, it does not. If it doesn't, then I am definitely not sure what's the value of the term.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sat Dec-04-21 08:14 AM

24. "I am not entirely sure the origin"
In response to Reply # 10

But my read on it is backlash from the over use of people of color as a phrase. Using your DEI example inflating diversity numbers by saying 25% of the org is poc when less than 1% is black and none are indigenous. It's the acknowledgement that in the US the black and indigenous history is distinctly different than the rest of the poc spectrum.

At least that's what I'd like to think is being thought when it is used. But it's mostly used by white folk who've been told they need to update their language to the latest buzzwords so I don't know of it really carries that or any weight.

Actually I'm lying it's used a lot in the queer poc circles which may in fact be where it began as identity is so core to their struggle.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

sosumi
Member since May 30th 2012
858 posts
Tue Nov-30-21 06:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "brief time of appreciating the BI"
In response to Reply # 0

because I believe Black Americans and Indigenous peoples face unique challenges

but the backlash is real and other POCs prefer BILAM (Black, Indigenous, Latin/o/a/x, Asian, Mixed identity+) or PGM (People of the Global Majority)

honestly do not trust those other POCs when it comes to justice in Amercia... the anti-Blackness of it all... the siding with white ppl on education issues, financial hoarding, and crime enforcement

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Wed Dec-01-21 10:06 AM

13. "BILAM?? This is the problem with these acronyms "
In response to Reply # 12

end up spending more time explaining the letters than the actual cause

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Wed Dec-01-21 11:06 AM

15. "Just another attempt to lessen our Blackness..."
In response to Reply # 13

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Wed Dec-01-21 11:44 AM

17. "Not sure what it is to be honest"
In response to Reply # 15

looks like a lame attempt to rally all Brown people.

I can dig it..

but I think trying the LGBTQIALMNOP it is a terrible idea.

and the podcast that sparked this convo is exactly why. These other groups aren’t ready to fight that fight with us.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Wed Dec-01-21 01:24 PM

20. "I feel like our Blackness, our history, our position, our struggle is un..."
In response to Reply # 17

and can't...SHOULDN'T .... be lumped in to a blanket identity.

It pains me to see folks so willing to buy in just because it's catchy and trendy....

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Wed Dec-01-21 03:13 PM

22. "We know how this ends"
In response to Reply # 20

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49408 posts
Wed Dec-01-21 11:39 AM

16. "What does BILAM or PGM do that People of Color not do?"
In response to Reply # 12

Like why the need for the new term?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Wed Dec-01-21 12:52 PM

18. "gives someone a chance to trademark a new term? "
In response to Reply # 16

gives someone a chance to teach people how ignorant they are for not knowing some new shit?

shockvalue
Charter member
561 posts
Wed Dec-01-21 02:26 PM

21. "Include Asians?"
In response to Reply # 16

Since a major problem of whiteness is that over time it subsumes other groups as needed to maintain its hegemony at the expense of Black people, it would seem like BILAM and similar devices are partly attempts to shore up the most likely next subsume-ees into whiteness (Asians, Latinos) as part of a coalition distinct from white people, no?

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Wed Dec-01-21 10:11 AM

14. "For some reason, this went over my head back in March..."
In response to Reply # 0

I get it now though...

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sat Dec-04-21 08:04 AM

23. "Freedom is another example "
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/12/enes-kanter-freedom-letting-himself-be-used/620900/

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss

Lobby General Discussion topic #13426149 Previous topic | Next topic