Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13425914

Subject: "How many consecutive successful landings would it take to convince you?" Previous topic | Next topic
mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu Mar-04-21 01:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How many consecutive successful landings would it take to convince you?"

How many times do they need to prove they can land the rocket without incident before would consider riding one if you had the money to?

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/spacex-starship-rocket-prototype-nails-landing-blows-rcna341

I remember I saw a few weeks back when they launched one of their rockets then they flew it back down but then it looked like they overshot it and it blew up and crashed as they tried to land it.

Dude talking said it was a successful test lol

Now they got it to land but then it blew up shortly after.

It's all impressive and I'm sure they will get it all worked out eventually. Still seeing these tests makes me wonder if I would ever see it is as safe enough lol

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
by the time they're ready for commercial use I expect it to be "saf...
Mar 04th 2021
I'm more worried about the karmic repercussions.
Mar 04th 2021
0 if it involves elon musk.
Mar 04th 2021
^ This is where I am.
Mar 05th 2021
there is no number high enough
Mar 04th 2021
I'm fascinated by sci fi space travel. But real world space?
Mar 04th 2021
tin foil hat.
Mar 04th 2021
if you believe that you're an idiot
Mar 05th 2021
risk vs reward: depends on what the reward is
Mar 05th 2021
Gonna need a few more test runs for me, big dog
Mar 05th 2021

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Mar-04-21 02:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "by the time they're ready for commercial use I expect it to be "saf..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-04-21 02:43 PM by double negative

I figure;
- reusable launch systems using retro-thrust rockets were formally announced in 2010 and we're already at a point where they are nailing it with a high degree of consistency.
- space X was launched in 2002 - they went from idea to this shit here in like...record time.
- the NASA space shuttle program was retired in 2011
- the 100th successful falcon 9 flight took place in 2020
- the dragon 2 has already had a successful manned launch and dock with the ISS

I trust that they will have it sorted because they are doing so much unmanned development and testing.

I'm not saying NASA would throw bodies at the problem...but I do remember Apollo 1, Challenger, Columbia, Vostok-2m(48 ppl dead), Long March 2E, Long March 3b(100ppl), VLS-1, etc. (only some of those things are NASA)

I also do think that we're about to enter a new time of a whole lotta people dying anyway because, that's just how it goes, no massive transition or introduction to new things involving humans is ever 100% certain.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

shockvalue
Charter member
561 posts
Thu Mar-04-21 02:48 PM

2. "I'm more worried about the karmic repercussions."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-04-21 03:12 PM by shockvalue

We believe in the carbon problem, don't we?

I'm already living a lifestyle as a 1%er globally that is extremely unsustainable with many airflights taken during my life, having drank more water bottles than i can count before I started to think about these things.

Do I need to add a touristic spaceflight onto the pile?

The spaceships don't even have windows afaik...so the sightseeing will literally be photographs I'd have same access to from the ground! I'm gonna burn up Burkina Faso's annual carbon budget just to sit in a windowless room?!

Swimming is basically a form of weightlessness already.

This will be my one small act of conscience as a westerner, not engaging in space travel.

*EDIT* UNLESS THERE ARE WINDOWS!

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13361 posts
Thu Mar-04-21 03:28 PM

3. "0 if it involves elon musk."
In response to Reply # 0

He is an absolute piece of shit, and I would trust a rocket made by a rabid dog before anything made by him.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 10:03 AM

10. "^ This is where I am."
In response to Reply # 3

And I have good friends who work as engineers for both SpaceX and Tesla. They both make perfectly satisfactory products.

But the value of both of those products (electric cars and space travel) are overhyped and generally misunderstood. The question of whether there's a climate benefit to mass adoption of electric cars is subtle and not entirely settled. As for human space travel: it's an unambiguously pointless exercise, and it always has been.

And whatever good either company might do is overshadowed by the harm done by their founding prick.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79555 posts
Thu Mar-04-21 04:06 PM

4. "there is no number high enough"
In response to Reply # 0

The world could get ready to blow up and I would wave to yall on the space ships

cause aint no way I’m going into space.

I’ll die here

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Thu Mar-04-21 04:10 PM

5. "I'm fascinated by sci fi space travel. But real world space?"
In response to Reply # 0

Meh. Not for me.
The fuck I'm gonna do on Mars that I can't do in Nevada?
Maybe the moon? But by the time moon trips because available to my tax bracket it's gonna be a shit hole.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

tariqhu
Charter member
17882 posts
Thu Mar-04-21 04:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "tin foil hat."
In response to Reply # 0

I think they blew it up to make more of a story. didn't something go 'wrong' when they release that ugly truck a while back?

sounds like marketing to me.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 05:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "if you believe that you're an idiot"
In response to Reply # 6

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

nonaime
Charter member
3117 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 04:42 AM

7. "risk vs reward: depends on what the reward is"
In response to Reply # 0

Am I hopping on a space flight just so I can go sightseeing? Probably not.
Am I hopping on a space flight because they about to "40 acres and a mule" *insert non Earth body here*? Hell yeah.

~~~~~~~~
A bad Samaritan averaging above average men (c) DOOM

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 09:58 AM

9. "Gonna need a few more test runs for me, big dog "
In response to Reply # 0

Like a decade worth

Lobby General Discussion topic #13425914 Previous topic | Next topic