Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13425303

Subject: "Low Down Griddy is grimy!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Fri Feb-26-21 09:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Low Down Griddy is grimy!!!"

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/texan-files-billion-class-action-lawsuit-receiving-9000/story?id=76107861

anyone in Texas on Griddy?

$9,000 electricity bills?

ole girl said nah.. I’m suing for a Billion!

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm conflicted on this
Feb 26th 2021
no one should have rates that high just because of an outage
Feb 26th 2021
yep, they didn't use $9000 worth of electricity
Feb 27th 2021
it's the test case in how libertarianism is bullshit
Mar 01st 2021

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Fri Feb-26-21 11:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm conflicted on this"
In response to Reply # 0

On one hand, they signed up for this. They had a choice: fixed rate or variable market rate. The variable rate is obviously riskier.

For the folks that chose variable rate, there are times when it works out for them. When demand is low, they pay lower prices. But with that comes the possibility that you'll sometimes pay higher rates.
It doesn't make sense to be able to enjoy the good and then get bailed out when the bad happens.

On the other hand, this is an extreme situation and customers can't handle bills in the thousands of dollars.

The question then becomes, who should be responsible for paying for the expensive electricity that was used?
I don't think it's fair for the company (Griddy) to pay it. From what I understand, they are just a middle man between the customer and the wholesale market.

The customer probably shouldn't pay the whole cost either. That's just an unconscionable amount for one person to pay.

So who is left? Government bailout probably

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Fri Feb-26-21 12:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "no one should have rates that high just because of an outage"
In response to Reply # 1

there needs to be a cap on how much they can charge during natural disasters.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Sat Feb-27-21 06:22 PM

3. "yep, they didn't use $9000 worth of electricity"
In response to Reply # 2

>there needs to be a cap on how much they can charge during
>natural disasters.
>
>

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Mar-01-21 04:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "it's the test case in how libertarianism is bullshit"
In response to Reply # 1

your government has to say "you can't do this"

because expecting individual random people to be ready for a black swan event and prepare appropriately, with real understanding of what they've signed up for or what could happen, is just unrealistic

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lobby General Discussion topic #13425303 Previous topic | Next topic