Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13425063

Subject: "** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **" Previous topic | Next topic
Geah
Member since Feb 16th 2007
48407 posts
Wed Feb-24-21 03:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **"

Zzzz

@geahuwine

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i find myself wanting to defend biden and feel weird about it
Feb 24th 2021
My close friend's father passed on Sunday.
Feb 24th 2021

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Wed Feb-24-21 12:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i find myself wanting to defend biden and feel weird about it"
In response to Reply # 0

he definitely was not anywhere near my top choice. i would say im pretty progressive and definitely saw him as someone we settled for.

i think i came to terms with that long ago so i have been pleasantly surprised by some of his executive actions. i am getting impatient that pretty much nothing has passed through congress.

i see complaints about "he promised 2k" and "he said immediately" as silly.

then hearing that hes deported 26k people im conflicted. i cant find an independent source for the number, only the site that is originating the noise https://unitedwedream.org/protect-immigrants-now/biden-stop-deportations-now/

if its legit then oof. i know he cant instantly change everything. i know he tried to halt deportations. supposedly he could delay them...indefinitely? but hasnt. my instinct is to say well wait, give him time. i also wonder if there are some deportations that are justified and if people are really saying no one should be deported.

i also see reports that officials are complaining that biden isnt letting them do their job and deport at will. so hes making both sides mad. thats kind of what you would expect right?

then there was the report of the tents being opened back up for children. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/u-s-reopens-texas-tent-facility-to-hold-immigrant-teenagers

looking at the reasoning it seems like a necessity due to covid but i dont think i would say the same if it was trump. the big difference is that i do think biden has the right intentions so i give him the benefit of the doubt right now. he cant just magically undo what trump has done so there will be some bad situations that he is forced to find a solution for that isnt great. even when activist are interviewed the say they dont know what the alternative would be to the tents, they definitely wouldnt want him to release these kids to the streets but yet they want a different solution.

i feel like if i tried to even understand the point of view of people complaining about this i would just be hit with "are you really defending biden????!!!!!"

thats not to say that we shouldnt hold him accountable and demand he does better. or even try to get him to move a bit more left on some things. i just dont think we can expect him to do everything that we want.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Wed Feb-24-21 01:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "My close friend's father passed on Sunday."
In response to Reply # 0

Pneumonia. COVID like symptoms, but the tests came back negative, so they got to be there with him the last few minutes, so there's that.

My friend is 36 and has never left the nest. Married and everything. Not much of a story to that, but he's extremely close to his parents to the point where we'd rib him for declining invitations because he was watching soccer with his pops. They're Mexican, so it's also a bit of a cultural thing.

We used to give him shit for not hanging out becuase he and his pops were watching Soccer or something. I don't feel bad about that, necessarily, but I do wish I hadn't. Shit, maybe I could have joined them for a few of them.

That's the third parent in our group to go in the last two years, and the fourth overall. We're all hitting that age.

For me, it's one of those things where a curse is a blessing. My parents aren't worth a damn and I long ago made peace with that fact by chucking those deuces. I don't dwell on it, though it does fuck with me on occasion.

But because I don't really have that closeness, because I accepted that that they don't bring anything good to my life while adding a shit ton of burdens, and they're all but dead to me anyways. I'm not lifting a finger, arranging a funeral, none of that. Someone else can handle that shit. Not my problem.

And when they pass, I'm sure I'll feel *something*, but definitely not what my friends have gone through. It's like they died too, in think of it.

And right now, he's dying inside, and has been for this entire ordeal. I wish I could fix that for him. I can't, and I know that, and I know I can be "there" for him, and his wife, also a close friend.

But goddamn it's hard watching them go through this.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13425063 Previous topic | Next topic