Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13424253

Subject: "Questlove’s ‘Summer of Soul’ Wins Sundance Top Prize for Documenta..." Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Tue Feb-16-21 02:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Questlove’s ‘Summer of Soul’ Wins Sundance Top Prize for Documenta..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEnQCnPnbis

https://youtu.be/k99XO-UE5AQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj8l52IU4ZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiEdJ4OzQVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Tb6tTK4io

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/questlove-summer-of-soul-wins-top-documentary-prize-sundance.html

Questlove’s ‘Summer of Soul’ Wins Sundance Film Festival’s Top Prize for Documentaries

ZO

Zo is a staff writer at Okayplayer where he covers…

Questlove's 'Summer of Soul' Wins Sundance Film Festival's Top Prize for Documentaries

Summer of Soul unearths 50-year-old footage from the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival.

Questlove has hit another career milestone. The Roots drummer’s directorial debut, Summer of Soul, topped nine other films to win the U.S. Grand Jury Prize for documentaries at this year’s Sundance Film Festival.

Summer of Soul (…Or, When The Revolution Could Not Be Televised,) unearths 50-year-old footage from the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival, also known as, the “Black Woodstock.” It features performances from Stevie Wonder, Mahalia Jackson, B.B. King, Sly & The Family Stone, Nina Simone, and more. “It has always been a dream of mine to direct films and telling this story has truly been an amazing experience,” said the freshly-minted director in a statement. Questlove also offered a far less formal response to the documentary’s win on Twitter (see below.)

“The most astounding discovery I had doing this film was that all these great talents gathered and gave their time and their energy and their creativity to this festival. This is three months before Woodstock happened. And it was recorded and documented and when it was over, just like that, it was done in a flash. Nobody cared,” said Questlove in a brief breakdown of the project for Sundance. Summer of Soul also took home Sundance’s Audience Award for documentaries at this year’s festival.

This year’s festival went the way of most things in the COVID era, shifting to a virtual format. Screenings began on January 28th and ran through today, February 3rd. There are still a handful of films showing throughout the day. You can check Sundance’s site for any last-minute screenings.

Watch Questlove discuss the inspiration behind Summer of Soul below and hold tight for updates on a nationwide release of the film in the weeks and months ahead.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
‘Summer of Soul’ Sets New Record for Documentary Sale at Sundance
Feb 16th 2021
Sly Stone doc up next
Feb 22nd 2021
trailer
Jun 26th 2021
I'm watching on Hulu
Jun 26th 2021
uh mods, uh.....mods
Jul 03rd 2021
"uh mods, uh.....mods" damn bro I wasn't trying to steal your shine lol....
Jul 03rd 2021
Jul 03rd 2021
Questlove On Directing The Doc - vibe
Jul 13th 2021
The Harlem Music Festival 1969 Recognized by Congress - RS
May 25th 2022

c71
13962 posts
Tue Feb-16-21 02:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "‘Summer of Soul’ Sets New Record for Documentary Sale at Sundance"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/questlove-summer-of-soul-documentary-sets-sundance-record.html

Questlove’s ‘Summer of Soul’ Sets New Record for Documentary Sale at Sundance

ZO

Zo is a staff writer at Okayplayer where he covers…

Summer of Soul has been acquired for streaming in the largest sale of a documentary in Sundance history.

After winning the top prizes at Sundance Film Festival earlier this week, Questlove‘s Summer of Soul documentary has been picked up for streaming by Hulu.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Roots drummer’s directorial debut was scooped by Searchlight and Hulu in the highest sale of a documentary in the film festival’s history. The price wasn’t revealed, but the previous record-setting sale was in 2019 when Apple acquired Boys State for $12 million.

Summer of Soul (…Or When The Revolution Could Not Be Televised,) premiered at Sundance last week to rave reviews. It took home the U.S Grand Jury Prize for documentaries along with the Audience Award at this year’s festival. The film stitches together more than 40 hours of previously unseen footage from the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival, which includes performances from Nina Simone, B.B. King, Mavis Staples, Sly & The Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, and more.

“I’m so honored to be allowed to manifest my dreams after all this time,” Questlove said in a statement. “This is truly an honor. Summer Of Soul is a passion project and to have it resonate with so many people on so many levels has been incredibly rewarding,” the director adds. “It’s rare to find a film that captures the breadth of the Black American experience and also makes you want to dance, testify and sing out loud,” says Tara Duncan, President of Disney’s Freeform network and leader of the company’s BIPOC creator initiative.

Dates for the streaming and theatrical releases of Summer of Soul have yet to be announced. But it shouldn’t be long now. Stay tuned for updates on the film’s big and small screen debuts in the weeks and months ahead.

c71
13962 posts
Mon Feb-22-21 08:06 PM

2. "Sly Stone doc up next"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/questlove-is-making-the-sly-stone-documentary-we-deserve.html

c71
13962 posts
Sat Jun-26-21 01:22 PM

3. "trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/slFiJpAxZyQ

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/watch-official-trailer-questlove-summer-of-soul-documentary-video.html

Watch The Exhilarating Official Trailer for Questlove’s ‘Summer of Soul’ Documentary
MUSIC - 1 WEEK AGO

ZO

Zo is a staff writer at Okayplayer

Summer of Soul is set to simultaneously premiere in theaters and via Hulu on July 2nd.

Weeks out from finally hitting the big screen, an official trailer for the highly anticipated Summer of Soul documentary has arrived.

Extending the teaser’s criminally brief runtime, the new Summer of Soul trailer showcases even more archival footage from Questlove‘s directorial debut along with some of the film’s testimonials. “Something very important was happening. It wasn’t just about the music,” says soul legend Gladys Knight as a glimpse from her electric performance rolls. Nina Simone, Sly Stone, B.B. King, Mahalia Jackson, and a number of Knight’s trailblazing contemporaries can also be seen in the exhilarating two-minute trailer of a film that will offer the best (and for many, the first ) look yet at the fabled 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival.

Cut from more than 45 hours of found footage (literally left lying in a damp basement) documenting the six-week-long event series, Summer of Soul (…Or When The Revolution Could Not Be Televised,) may have been intended for a small circle of Questlove’s fellow music history obsessives. But after taking home top prize at this year’s Sundance Film Festival and sparking a bidding war that led to the highest sale of a documentary in the festival’s history, it became clear the director’s audience was far broader than the initial estimate. “I thought this was going to be a quiet little arthouse film,” Questlove said in a recent interview with Rolling Stone. “I’m on a group chat with Just Blaze and DJ Premier and Swiss Beatz and J. Cole. 25 of my luminaries. So it was like, ‘If Jazzy Jeff and Peanut Butter Wolf think is cool, then I’ll feel OK.’ That’s who I thought my shit was for. God had other plans,” the newly-minted director added.

Watch the official trailer for Questlove’s Summer of Soul documentary below. Catch it in theaters and streaming via Hulu on July 2nd.

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Sat Jun-26-21 05:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I'm watching on Hulu"
In response to Reply # 3

Looking forward to it!

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

c71
13962 posts
Sat Jul-03-21 04:03 AM

5. "uh mods, uh.....mods"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jul-03-21 04:06 AM by c71

yeah

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Jul-03-21 09:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. ""uh mods, uh.....mods" damn bro I wasn't trying to steal your shine lol...."
In response to Reply # 5
Sat Jul-03-21 09:52 AM by ThaTruth

>yeah

I searched and didn't see this post, I saw the one in PTP and copied the link, I just wanted to know if people were aware and talk about the doc, okp is so weird lol

I'm good with my post being locked/deleted

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Jul-03-21 09:50 AM

7. "."
In response to Reply # 6
Sat Jul-03-21 09:52 AM by ThaTruth

c71
13962 posts
Tue Jul-13-21 05:30 PM

8. "Questlove On Directing The Doc - vibe"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-13-21 05:32 PM by c71

https://www.vibe.com/features/editorial/questlove-directs-summer-of-soul-doc-1234622546/

EDITORIAL
Questlove On Directing The Doc ‘Summer Of Soul’ & Black Joy In The Hour Of Chaos
The legendary drummer and producer talks to VIBE about the convergence of Black music, history and culture in his fantastic concert documentary.

BY JERRY L. BARROW

On Saturday, June 19, the ground in Harlem’s Marcus Garvey Park was wet with history. The “City That Never Sleeps” had begun to wipe the crust from its eyes, after a 15-month COVID-induced hibernation. Hundreds of music fans, performers, and journalists filed into the grassy sanctuary for a first-look at Summer Of Soul, the 2021 Sundance Film Festival award-winning music documentary directed by Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson of The Roots, which captures a long-forgotten music festival from 1969 that took place in this very park more than 50 years ago.

The outdoor screening and concert is a homecoming, reunion, and coming out party all rolled into one. While masks are still being worn, you can still see the smiles behind them. Bodies rock back and forth as the first hugs in over a year are exchanged. Hands linger almost afraid to let go. There is an anxiousness balanced by a renewed sense of freedom. A microcosm of the country at large, inside the park there is a quiet push and pull between those who remember the chaos of the last year and those who want to get back to “normal,” whatever that means now. Juneteenth, a day to commemorate when enslaved Black Americans in Galveston, Texas discovered that they had been emancipated two years prior, had just been recognized as a Federal holiday. But with that acknowledgment came an influx of performative messages from corporations that still pay African-Americans less than their white counterparts, if they hire them at all. This is just a sample of the complicated energy flowing beneath the feet of attendees who will dance and sing on the same ground where Hessian soldiers in the American Revolution once mounted cannons to suppress the American experiment.

Summer Of Soul
RELATED STORY

Questlove's 'Summer Of Soul' Documentary Passes $1 Million At Box Office

https://www.vibe.com/news/entertainment/questloves-summer-of-soul-documentary-makes-1-million-at-box-office-1234623140/

That same energy is what summoned hundreds of thousands of Harlemites to gather for the Harlem Cultural Festival in 1969. Back then the space was called Mt. Morris Park and on every Sunday from June 29 to August 24, a who’s who of Black entertainment from across the diaspora converged on this single point to bring a semblance of joy to a community rocked by tragedy and unrest. The assassinations of leaders like Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, Jr. were still fresh in the minds of many. Black and Puerto Rican College Students were protesting at CUNY. The Stonewall riots were still going on a few train stops away. So, it was a momentary calming salve to watch performers like Stevie Wonder, Nina Simone, Sly & the Family Stone, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Mahalia Jackson, B.B. King and The 5th Dimension take the stage.

However, despite the best efforts of sponsors and local politicians to not only hold the festival, but to document it with TV cameras, its existence had been lost to history. The footage sat in television veteran Hal Tulchin’s Bronxville basement until his death in 2017. Fortunately, producers Robert Fyvolent and David Dinerstein had secured the rights to the archives and tapped music historian Questlove to sort through the more than forty-five hours of footage to create a film that celebrated not just Black music, but the culture and community that gave birth to it.

“It’s emotional (being here today). It’s bigger than me,” says Musa Jackson, an attendee of the original festival who is also featured in the film. He points out an area in the park where his family was perched but admits that he was running all over the park that day. “The person who brought me here when I was a little boy passed away during Covid, my mother’s boyfriend. And I just thought about him just now and thinking…just how awesome this would be (for him to see). So, I’m glad I’m here because if I’m here he’s here.”

Jackson is a fitting ambassador for his community. His father, Arthur Jackson, was an activist who was one of Harlem’s organizers for the Congress Of Racial Equality and knew Malcolm X. Musa was born a week after Malcolm’s assassination and was tutored by James Baldwin. As a festival attendee he was brought to tears seeing one of his favorite singers perform, Marilyn McCoo of 5th Dimension, who is also featured in the Summer Of Soul film, along with her husband, Billy Davis.

“I remember being backstage in the dressing room and kind of nervous because we were going to be performing for this great big audience here in Harlem,” says McCoo, with her husband lovingly at her side. “We didn’t know what they thought of the Fifth Dimension because a lot of radio stations weren’t playing our music. (They said) ours was ‘the Black group with the white sound.’ How do you color a sound? So we didn’t know how the audience would receive us. But they were so welcoming. Seeing that footage later was very emotional.”

Like the first festival in ‘69, the clouds above the park are heavy with rain, but they hold out just long enough for Questlove to warm the crowd up with a DJ set before taking his seat amongst them to watch his baby be presented to the world. This is the first time Thompson is seeing the film on the big screen with an audience and he’s anticipating the crowd’s reaction to his careful selections. In his 2013 memoir, Mo Meta Blues, he reveals that his life revolves around circles. “My logo or autograph, which I developed over the years through doodling, is composed of six circles. My life revolves around that shape.” So, this full-circle moment, Black history being rescued a day which is meant to commemorate Black history, is not lost on him at all.

VIBE spoke with Questlove on the red carpet and again several days after the premiere about preparing for this amazing moment and what it means to have his legacy as a musician, historian, and Black man converge in this very unique and powerful way.

————————————

VIBE: Father’s Day (just passed). Your late father, Lee Andrews, an accomplished musician in his own right, was your first teacher and first everything. What would he say to you about your achievement with this film?

Questlove: I’ma tell you my dad helped me through this. This is my dad right here (holds up a jeweled pouch with his ashes hanging around his neck.) He goes with me everywhere I go. I take him with me on my journey and you know, he taught me everything I know about music. So, it’s me taking all of the knowledge that he gave me and I’m returning it to the people. I’m just a filter and a channel for this.

I watched as you took your seat in the audience for the screening and there was a woman sitting in front of you just having a great old time. Describe for me what it felt like to be amongst the audience watching your film.

I wanted to embrace the moment and REALLY embrace the moment. I think a lot of times with other creative forms I’m in, with The Roots albums, with books, or whatever I’m doing creatively, I might subconsciously tend to dismiss these things quickly. Maybe because it’s a fear of rejection. I haven’t listened to “Do You Want More??” since I had to remaster it for the anniversary edition. I have a tendency to do this dismissive, like, “Yeah, I wrote that book,” and move on. So, I made sure that with my first film that this is the first time that I really sit in the moment. That’s why I insisted on DJing, being the first person there to watch people come in, and I also wanted to watch with the audience because I didn’t want to fatigue myself watching this too many times when we were editing. So, I only (watched) when it was absolutely necessary for me to sign off on an edit. Before watching it with the audience, I would say that I watched this film in its completeness, maybe nine times.

The audience laughed out loud for a few scenes, like the photo of Al Sharpton as a teenage preacher. Which audience reaction did you covet the most?

So, the greatest moment (in the film) for me was when Jesse Jackson’s telling us about the assassination of Martin Luther King. For one, I wasn’t asking him a question about that. I was trying to get to why we know who Benjamin Branch is. As history has it, Ben Branch is the last person who MLK spoke to before he got assassinated. Jesse was explaining to me “Benjamin Branch said,”–and I’m listening to his words in my chair–and he’s like “Hey, man I really love what you did with ‘Precious Lord’ and I want to make sure…‘Pow!’” and he does that and I jump out of my chair as he’s telling the story. The way he told me that story, that’s exactly what I want everyone watching this film to do. The second he says “Pow!” I want (them) to jump. So we spent hours mixing…and because we’re in a pandemic I’m not in a big studio like regular movies. We’re doing this on our laptops and there is just a different relationship with listening to music on your laptop or your headphones. Back in the day you’d give it a car test and turn shit up loud. We didn’t have that luxury. So (in the park) this is the first time I’m hearing the music LOUD. The first time ever. We made this film on small devices. So when that scene happened and I’m watching the audience’s reaction and they all jumped like a horror film, then they all collectively looked at me and said “You did this didn’t you?” and I was like “Yeah, I did.” So for me it was amazing to watch people watch this film. Everything that happened was exactly the way I wanted it to happen.

I imagine going through 45 hours of concert footage was a treat for you, but how did you tackle that Herculean task?

It’s almost like you gotta Jedi Mind Trick yourself. If you’re telling me, “Hey Ahmir, here’s 45 hours of content,” I don’t care if it’s the best Prince show I’ve seen in my life, all I see is the number 45 and the big boulder that I now have to carry on my back like the Slave album cover, their very first album cover. I saw myself holding this giant number. “How am I even going to (do this)? Is that two hours a day, in a week, fourteen hours? I’m never going to get through this film. You’re gonna fail, you’re gonna fail.” The hardest thing to do was NOT watching “Soul Train” and not watching the normal things I always do in the house. “Soul Train” is on constant loop. So the thing I (had) to discipline myself to do, was to put this on my hard drive device, and have this play (continuously)…the way that Prince talked about Finding Nemo, that was this film with me. I had it on in my bedroom, my bathroom, my kitchen, my studio, my phone, so there was no place in the world where I couldn’t watch this film and that’s all I did. For six months that’s all I did was keep it on. If something interesting happened and I caught it, I took a note. When I had thirty of those things, it was, now I have a foundation.

You chose to open with footage of Stevie Wonder drumming. While I can imagine your motivation, what made you want to start the film that way?

In that kind of Internet meme, “Show me this is your movie without showing me this is your movie,” it was that Stevie Wonder moment. The one thing people kept saying to me was “How come you’re not in the rough cuts? Why aren’t you in your own film?” And I said that’s a little self-serving. I don’t want this to be…I don’t feel like I’m Spike Lee where I have to be in my film and sell tube socks. However, when I saw that solo I was like, yo, this is a Questlove movie without me having to be in the movie. Because who else but me would start with the drum solo? That’s the moment when I realized “jackpot.” So, I curated this film the way that I do a DJ set; I work backwards. Because when people recall concerts, they remember how it started, so I knew I needed a powerful beginning.

“I didn’t have a lofty dream to be a director, but now I realize that maybe everything that I’ve done in my life is leading up to telling our stories. You’re watching me realize my super powers.” – Questlove

What is the significance of this concert happening when it did in ‘69 and then this film coming out now in the midst of a pandemic and Juneteenth becoming a national holiday?

Before 2020 I would say that maybe in America, 1969 is the most important year. I think in 2030 you’re going to see a lot of documentaries on 2020. It’s almost like 2020 might be the new important year and ‘69 might have to go to second place. So the obvious answer is the paradigm shift of a new generation, a younger generation of the Civil Rights Movement, somewhat more insistent (and) less patient than before. Fist banging on the table, “We want it now!” Being Black is now a concept and a way of life in 1969, where it wasn’t that way before and it was not lost on me that we were living through this in real time 50 years later.

In the beginning I thought this was going to be a niche project, an art house film. And I thought people my parent’s age and grandparent’s age, they’ll gravitate towards it. And cats like you and I who grew up with those parents and know hip-hop samples and what not, we’ll latch onto it, but I dunno about Millennials and Gen-Z. It started in 2017 that way. But as we got to 2019 then I was like “This is how Millennials and Gen-Z will connect with it,” because it mirrors exactly what was happening 50 years ago. For me, that’s what I want people to walk away from receiving this film.

I have it on good authority that there is some footage of the late great Percy Miracles in the director’s cut. Can you confirm or deny?

(Laughs hysterically) No, no Percy Miracles. But there’s definitely a lot on the floor and we’re definitely talking about extended cuts and Directors Cuts. In the last month or so I’ve gotten DMs from people saying “This isn’t alone. I’ve got 20 hours of blah-blah-blah- that you might want to look at,” and I’m like “What??” There’s at least six other projects of this level out there waiting for a home.

So, “How it started vs how it’s going…” I didn’t have a lofty dream to be a director, but now I realize that maybe everything that I’ve done in my life is leading up to telling our stories. You’re watching me realize my superpowers. That first moment when he realizes he’s Spider-Man, that’s me right now. I accept that challenge.

c71
13962 posts
Wed May-25-22 05:55 PM

9. "The Harlem Music Festival 1969 Recognized by Congress - RS"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/summer-soul-harlem-music-festival-congress-1358395/

HOME
MUSIC
MUSIC NEWS

MAY 25, 2022 1:12PM ET

The Harlem Music Festival From ‘Summer of Soul’ Gets Recognized by Congress

U.S. Senate unanimously approves resolution honoring the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival for representing ‘a shift in Black culture, consciousness, and expression’

By JONATHAN BERNSTEIN

When a local promoter and New York City Parks department employee named Tony Lawrence first began the Harlem Cultural Festival in 1967, he hardly could have imagined that, 55 years later, his music festival would be recognized by the United States Senate.

Yesterday, the Senate agreed by “unanimous consent” on a resolution that honors the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival as well as the 1970 New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

The resolution, sponsored by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, will designate the last weekend of June 2022 as a time to “commemorate the first weekend of the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival,” one of the several weekends that were filmed and would later become the backbone of Summer of Soul, Questlove’s celebrated 2021 documentary. That film, which went on to win an Oscar and a Grammy, took as one of its key themes the institutional amnesia around the festival, a landmark event which was nonetheless largely forgotten for decades.

“When we all started on the journey of making this documentary, it was to tell the story of this incredible moment in time, in Harlem, to put on for its people,” Summer of Soul producer Joseph Patel tells Rolling Stone. “We hoped it would give all those involved in the Festival and the community at large some recognition for an incredible cultural event. As filmmakers, to have the Festival acknowledged by this resolution is a satisfying coda to the story.”

The resolution specifically cites performances by Nina Simone and Mahalia Jackson as representing “a shift in Black culture, consciousness, and expression, and …. a movement away from performances designed to be palatable for white audiences and toward freer expression and celebration of Black art.”

The unanimously approved resolution also “encourages Senators to plan appropriate activities that support the objectives of the …and encourages local governments in the United States to build partnerships with local Black artists, performers and activists to further uplift Black culture and art and promote equal treatment of all people.”

Lobby General Discussion topic #13424253 Previous topic | Next topic