Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13421475

Subject: "Are your kids in daycare or attending school right now? " Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 10:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Are your kids in daycare or attending school right now? "

Just read how Chicago teachers said fuck no to returning in person.

I don’t blame them. Teachers are dying from Covid but its being under reported for obvious reasons.

I know people want to get back to normal but my wife is a teacher and fuck that... she is fighting any attempts right now.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Are your kids in daycare or attending school right now?
Jan 25th 2021
Nope. Fully virtual. That being said, our district is
Jan 25th 2021
our daughter is supposed to start kindergarten this Fall
Jan 25th 2021
      There really isn't. My youngest was in kindergarten last year when
Jan 25th 2021
We sent the kids back to daycare three weeks ago
Jan 25th 2021
I can’t see how teachers can keep mask on 4 and 5 year olds
Jan 25th 2021
RE: I can’t see how teachers can keep mask on 4 and 5 year olds
Jan 25th 2021
This^^^. No colds or fevers since last March has been GREAT....
Jan 25th 2021
      RE: This^^^. No colds or fevers since last March has been GREAT....
Jan 25th 2021
           Our youngest & oldest experience colds vastly different.....youngest ALW...
Jan 25th 2021
Virtually for our 6th grader.
Jan 25th 2021
yeah.. we were going to test our 5 year old to go into Kindergarten
Jan 25th 2021
got lucky....my neighbor is a retired school teacher
Jan 25th 2021
no, and life kinda sucks....but on the flip side, NO life would suck mor...
Jan 25th 2021
Our 3 year old is in preschool and has been since July
Jan 25th 2021
Nope. Kids havent been to a place since last March. UGH.
Jan 25th 2021
metro atlanta school systems are trying it.
Jan 25th 2021
I need them to quit playing around and call this year a wrap
Jan 25th 2021
yeah, they really need to stop with the dates and just
Jan 26th 2021
my sis is a teacher + 3 kids under 10. my BIL can't WFH
Jan 26th 2021
      My sister is a HS teacher, Basketball & Track coach, single mom
Jan 26th 2021
      it's all a dumpster fire fr.
Jan 26th 2021
           I feel for those who need child care
Jan 26th 2021
                agreed. stay home.
Jan 26th 2021
Our oldest two are in a pod with their two cousins
Jan 26th 2021
5 kids? peace yo
Jan 26th 2021
Home till we get the vaccine (which should be next month)
Jan 26th 2021
A work colleague just caught the bug from a daycare worker
Jan 26th 2021

jimaveli
Charter member
6615 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 11:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Are your kids in daycare or attending school right now? "
In response to Reply # 0

>Just read how Chicago teachers said fuck no to returning in
>person.
>
>I don’t blame them. Teachers are dying from Covid but its
>being under reported for obvious reasons.
>
>I know people want to get back to normal but my wife is a
>teacher and fuck that... she is fighting any attempts right
>now.

I’m in a part of town where there’s still a few Trump flags in yards. And yeah, my kid’s district is doing a hybrid/you choose with school. My kid is still doing school from home.

Most of her friends are back in school in-person now. So of course she wants to go back too. I get a ‘a person got covid and is self-isolated’ email from the district about her school at least once a week so yeah..I’m in no hurry to deal with that.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 11:11 AM

2. "Nope. Fully virtual. That being said, our district is "
In response to Reply # 0

an outlier. We’re in Michigan, and at this point almost all school districts have moved to at least partially in person classes available. We’re in Ann Arbor which is one of the last fully virtual districts in the state. They’ve announced that partially in person classes will start in March, pending the vaccination numbers for teachers and staff.

We’ll likely keep our kids virtual. We have a seventh grader and a first grader. Our bubble has been strong the entire pandemic - we rarely EVER leave the house. Grocery delivery, Amazon packages all over the place, both my wife and I work full time from home, etc. The first grader is near his breaking point with full virtual instruction - he’s having tons of difficulty staying focused during class. His teacher is old school - she wants the cameras on the entire day and checks them if they show the slightest sign of being distracted. Most of the other kids have a parent who can be with them to help, but that’s tough for us because we both are doing client facing consulting work and in virtual meetings all day ourselves.

It would be great for both our kids to see their peers and have that social interaction, along with not being in their rooms all day. But that new UK variant of the virus is popping off in our area, and we aren’t willing to take the risk at this time.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 11:43 AM

3. "our daughter is supposed to start kindergarten this Fall"
In response to Reply # 2

I mean.. is there really a good way to have kindergarten virtually? Seems silly to
me.

but my kids are so ready to go back. 3 and 5 (she just missed cut off for kindergarten)

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 02:01 PM

9. "There really isn't. My youngest was in kindergarten last year when "
In response to Reply # 3

things shut down. At least at that point the kids had been in actual school for a little over half the year, so they had an idea of what to expect and what school was. I can't imagine a kid starting the year off in virtual kindergarten.

Nothing was graded then either - this year though the kids have actual grades, and at some point they are going to have to address the gap between the kids who have parents with them all day helping vs. the kids who are on their own. Not to mention the mental health issues and the missed social development that many kids are dealing with.

>I mean.. is there really a good way to have kindergarten
>virtually? Seems silly to
>me.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 11:54 AM

4. "We sent the kids back to daycare three weeks ago"
In response to Reply # 0

One week in the 3 year old brought a gunk home.

Her class doesn't mask up, just the teachers. I send her to school with a mask and by the time we pick her up. It's magically gone.
We've upped the communication and the next step is to threaten a withdrawl if they don't have her keeping it on.

So they were home with me that first Monday after starting, then we all got a cold, so I went and got tested. Negative.

This past Saturday she woke up with a fever, so I went and got her tested, negative. I told my wife we're not about to keep doing this. That if they can't support us sending her in a mask then we need to find a new place. Because she shouldn't be getting sick if she has a mask. Not with cold gunk shit.

The baby baby only has 3-4 babies in the class with him and one masked up sitter. So he's "ok"

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 01:23 PM

7. "I can’t see how teachers can keep mask on 4 and 5 year olds"
In response to Reply # 4

and gunk is normal for daycare regardless of mask..

cause lets be real, as soon as it slides or a teacher tries to put it back on thats germs

my 5 year old is really good at wearing her mask but if she was in class with 15 other maskless kids the chances of her keeping it on are 1% at best.

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 01:51 PM

8. "RE: I can’t see how teachers can keep mask on 4 and 5 year olds"
In response to Reply # 7

They can just remind her.

And gunk is normal for daycare, masks are, masks help prevent sickness and therefore sickness should be reduced by masks.

All we ask is that they remind her.

------

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 03:38 PM

11. "This^^^. No colds or fevers since last March has been GREAT...."
In response to Reply # 4

Prior to that, our 4 year old was coming home with a new cold or virus every week. I swear she was ill from age 1 - 3 1/2 which lines up to right when schools closed.

We really are concerned with the inevitable first cold that happens whenever they go back and I really wonder if they've thought through THAT aspect of test availability. Once schools start, there are going to be a LOT of fevers that aren't related to COVID, but folks will need to get tested just to be certain. So we're going to be right back in test shortages again....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 04:04 PM

14. "RE: This^^^. No colds or fevers since last March has been GREAT...."
In response to Reply # 11

>Once schools
>start, there are going to be a LOT of fevers that aren't
>related to COVID, but folks will need to get tested just to be
>certain. So we're going to be right back in test shortages
>again....

Folks won't go get tested. It's hard as shit to find tests for kids. Easier just to say "they don't have a fever"
We got tested because we chose to, there was nothing stopping us from waiting the fever out and sending her back.
And since it looks just like a cold anyways ... I don't see it happening en masse.

------

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 04:10 PM

15. "Our youngest & oldest experience colds vastly different.....youngest ALW..."
In response to Reply # 14

gets a fever...and pre school policy has always been fever=no admittance...and of course they're going to be even MORE strict with that now... So a cold every week = a fever every week = no school admittance every week = what's the point of opening schools?
and there's talk that the public schools will be implementing similar policy with an added layer of Proof of negative COVID test in addition to min. 10-day quarantine. So there'll be a point where folks will absolutely need to get tests just to be able to send kids back (not to mention many employers weighing this requirement as well).

I just don't think we're going to see the end of testing debacles for at least another year and likely more.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

PROMO
Charter member
30976 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 11:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Virtually for our 6th grader."
In response to Reply # 0

our son, who could have started Kindergarten early this year (turned 5 one week into the school year) we held back, and since he's WAY ahead of his age group in knowledge and intelligence, we're considering holding him out of Kindergarten THIS year and just having him test into first grade in September of 2022 when, fingers crossed, shit is basically normal again.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 04:01 PM

13. "yeah.. we were going to test our 5 year old to go into Kindergarten "
In response to Reply # 5

since she is 3 weeks after cut off.

but covid hit and we chilled. We feel the same way. Our kid is pretty smart, too smart if you ask me (i know all parents say this) but its true. She is sharp as a tack.

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 01:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "got lucky....my neighbor is a retired school teacher"
In response to Reply # 0

she has a pod of 5 kids (2 are mine)
pay her whatever she wants lol

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 03:33 PM

10. "no, and life kinda sucks....but on the flip side, NO life would suck mor..."
In response to Reply # 0

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13929 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 03:55 PM

12. "Our 3 year old is in preschool and has been since July "
In response to Reply # 0

They do temp checks, masks, washing hands throughout the day, parents have to wear a mask to drop off and can’t go inside the classroom with the kids, etc.

The best thing is each classroom was already designed to be its own pod because each classroom has its own outside play area and they eat in their classrooms so they never interacted with other kids in the neighboring classrooms even before Covid.

Also, this being San Diego means they spend a lot of time outside and the windows can pretty much stay open throughout the day.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 04:51 PM

16. "Nope. Kids havent been to a place since last March. UGH. "
In response to Reply # 0

@ "UGH" for the oldest being three and him being at a point where it's time for school but knowing virtual learning would not be so great as an introduction to education

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 05:03 PM

17. "metro atlanta school systems are trying it."
In response to Reply # 0

they keep getting resistance. yet are still wanting to risk more teachers dying from it.

mine will be staying home, regardless of what they decide. I'm fortunate that they're older, 16 and 11. I also, since pandemic, work from home. I feel for those will little kids and/or parents with no options to work at home.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 10:31 PM

18. "I need them to quit playing around and call this year a wrap"
In response to Reply # 17

As far as in-person school that is. They keep setting a date, then pushing it back.

Last semester they said they would return when the cases dropped below 100 per 10,000 county residents. Cases never dropped below 100. If anything they've gone up dramatically, but they are still talking about in-person school this semester... What happened to the magic number of 100?

I'm like you, I'll probably opt to keep my kid home.

I have several teachers friends in the county, and the consensus is that the reason that they are trying to go back is that grades have dropped dramatically, and there are lots of kids chronically late, absent or totally unaccounted for.

That part I get. They feel like in-person classes will get things back in order academically...but at what cost?

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Jan-26-21 11:27 AM

21. "yeah, they really need to stop with the dates and just"
In response to Reply # 18

tell everyone coming back isn't the move. the cost is definitely too high.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Tue Jan-26-21 10:58 AM

19. "my sis is a teacher + 3 kids under 10. my BIL can't WFH"
In response to Reply # 17

This year has been a fucking mess. I feel so bad for teachers. And this county by county shit is for the birds.

MEAT
22257 posts
Tue Jan-26-21 11:01 AM

20. "My sister is a HS teacher, Basketball & Track coach, single mom"
In response to Reply # 19

with a 6 year old.
It's been a TRYING.She caught the virus a little before Thanksgiving, luckily was asymptomatic. Texas is just fucking off with sports and vaccines though.

------

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Jan-26-21 11:30 AM

22. "it's all a dumpster fire fr. "
In response to Reply # 19

I have a cousin who has a child in first grade. she also takes care of her mom, who has had 3 strokes. she also works out of the house as a 911 dispatcher.

she wants her child back in school so she can work. I get it, but that's asking too much of the teachers. hell, her and her mom are just getting over covid themselves with the last few days.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Tue Jan-26-21 11:33 AM

23. "I feel for those who need child care"
In response to Reply # 22

but my wife is a teacher and I’m not trying to lose her because she needs to babysit covid kids..

sounds cold but fuck that.

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Jan-26-21 01:40 PM

27. "agreed. stay home."
In response to Reply # 23

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Tue Jan-26-21 01:11 PM

24. "Our oldest two are in a pod with their two cousins"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-26-21 01:11 PM by afrogirl_lost

My sister in law is their teacher and a saint so we're lucky. The younger three are at home with me and my husband. Thankfully, we're both able to work from home. No one has gotten sick thank God.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Tue Jan-26-21 01:14 PM

25. "5 kids? peace yo"
In response to Reply # 24

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Tue Jan-26-21 01:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "Home till we get the vaccine (which should be next month)"
In response to Reply # 0

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Tue Jan-26-21 03:02 PM

28. "A work colleague just caught the bug from a daycare worker"
In response to Reply # 0

via her kid, who carried it home asymptomatically.

I don't like anecdotes for questions that should be answered with statistics. But this does make me wonder how the statistics for this kind of transmission are stacking up at this point. We heard a lot about surprisingly encouraging data back in the fall. But it was very preliminary, and there's no clear reason why daycare and in-person teaching wouldn't cause very efficient spread between parents and teaching/daycare staff.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13421475 Previous topic | Next topic