Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13420581

Subject: "Study of teens finds social media features escalate online conflicts to ..." Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Fri Jan-15-21 02:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Study of teens finds social media features escalate online conflicts to ..."

I think Buddy had the best bead on this and I hope he reads it.

There's a chart in it that I can't swipe to but it details four specific features that drive conflict online

https://techpolicy.press/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Screen-Shot-2021-01-15-at-12.30.49-PM.png

https://techpolicy.press/study-of-teens-finds-social-media-features-escalate-online-conflicts-to-offline-violence/

Published January 15, 2021

In a new qualitative study in a journal called Children and Youth Services Review including data from surveys and focus groups conducted in collaboration with the Coalition for Youth, a Hartford, Connecticut youth development agency, social work researchers from Boston University, Columbia University and the University of Connecticut engaged with 41 teens from high poverty neighborhoods to better understand the role of social media platforms in adolescent conflicts and how specific features contribute to sometimes violent escalations.

The paper advances prior work on the phenomenon of “internet banging”, a term coined in Sept 2013 in a paper written with one of the study’s co-authors, Columbia University School of Social Work’s Desmond Patton. Distinct from the more commonly referenced phenomenon of cyberbullying, internet banging describes the threat of offline violence resulting from conflict on social media, with more than one party engaged in aggressive and threatening communication. “Patton, Eschmann, and Butler (2013) coined the term ‘internet banging’ to describe a burgeoning phenomenon in which taunts, disses and arguments between individuals in rival crews, cliques or gangs post comments on social media platforms that escalate through back and forth conversations.” (Memorably, the abstract for that 2013 paper starts with the sentence, “Gang members carry guns and twitter accounts.”)

The paper recounts an exchange amongst the teens that illustrates this phenomenon:

Hannah: So, let’s say a friend is staying at her other friend’s house and her hygiene is not up-to-par and like she has some dirty drawers or whatever, that her friend goes out of her way to take a picture of her drawers and will post them on Facebook, bashing her friend.

Jasmine: And that’s when the other friend calls her fake and then just leads to, “Oh, when I see you, it’s over,” and stuff like that.

Interviewer: Then what happens?

Hannah: They get beat up.

One teen interviewed observes that these conflicts are often “dumb,” “petty,” and “for no reason.” Another notes that while they may start as insignificant, they can quickly escalate: “On social media, when you argue, something so small can turn into something so big so fast.” The interviews highlight that it is indeed often the features of the platforms, rather than the severity of the underlying incident alone, that lead to an escalation to an offline fight. Core qualities of the social media context – the “publicness” of posts and their frictionless availability – contributes to the problem.

The research team details four specific features of social media platforms that drive conflict: comments, live streaming, sharing pictures/videos, and tagging others.

The authors suggest that future intervention approaches should support teen social and emotional learning to recognize their own reactions to online threats, and to consider alternatives to escalation.

This paper cites other evidence that social media platforms play a role in generating and escalating conflicts that are implicated in offline violence, and reinforces that social media ”transforms, rather than mirrors, offline peer experiences.” And while it considers various ways social workers and others that seek to intervene in adolescent conflict can help to prepare teens to avoid conflict and manage their own social media presence and rituals, it stops short of considering what changes the platforms themselves should make to alleviate these phenomena.

Let’s hope the engineers building these platforms are listening.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Supposedly the very violent summer in brooklyn was fueled
Jan 15th 2021
i def remember shit jumping off in school bc of AIM shit in the early 00...
Jan 15th 2021
I think I'm about 2-3 graduating classes older than this era.
Jan 15th 2021
anyone who has worked in schools or with students in the past 10 years
Jan 15th 2021
Yep. The best admins stay monitoring it too
Jan 15th 2021
I teach at a school for at-risk kids. This has been the truth for years
Jan 15th 2021

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Fri Jan-15-21 02:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Supposedly the very violent summer in brooklyn was fueled"
In response to Reply # 0

largely by social media

but LMAO @ "internet banging" being a term coined in 2013!

People been 'netbanging' in the youtube comments section and Myspace since ten years before that lol

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Fri Jan-15-21 02:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i def remember shit jumping off in school bc of AIM shit in the early 00..."
In response to Reply # 0

frequently.

whew with the tools these kids got now its easy to be a menace.

<--- Big Baller World Order

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Fri Jan-15-21 08:36 PM

6. "I think I'm about 2-3 graduating classes older than this era."
In response to Reply # 2

I don't think we were heavy AIM/MSN users but the classes behind me were. I didn't meet anyone with a camera phone until my sophomore year of college.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Fri Jan-15-21 03:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "anyone who has worked in schools or with students in the past 10 years"
In response to Reply # 0

already knows... 80% of student conflicts these days, if not more, are over social media shit.
From about 4th grade up.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Fri Jan-15-21 03:43 PM

4. "Yep. The best admins stay monitoring it too "
In response to Reply # 3
Fri Jan-15-21 03:44 PM by Amritsar

They know about that after school fight in the park before any student even needs to “snitch” about it

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Fri Jan-15-21 04:08 PM

5. "I teach at a school for at-risk kids. This has been the truth for years"
In response to Reply # 0

The majority of the fights at our school are the direct result of online beef or becoming severely escalated online once school is out

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Lobby General Discussion topic #13420581 Previous topic | Next topic