Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13420428

Subject: "Protect my life, but don't piss in a single one of my 7 toilets" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22247 posts
Thu Jan-14-21 12:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Protect my life, but don't piss in a single one of my 7 toilets"

The $3,000-a-month toilet for the Ivanka Trump/Jared Kushner Secret Service detail

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/01/14/secret-service-bathroom-ivanka-trump-jared-kushner/

Instructed not to use any of the half-dozen bathrooms inside the couple’s house, the Secret Service detail assigned to President Trump’s daughter and son-in-law spent months searching for a reliable restroom to use on the job, according to neighbors and law enforcement officials. After resorting to a porta-potty, as well as bathrooms at the nearby home of former president Barack Obama and the not-so-nearby residence of Vice President Pence, the agents finally found a toilet to call their own.

But it came at a cost to U.S. taxpayers. Since September 2017, the federal government has been spending $3,000 a month — more than $100,000 to date — to rent a basement studio, with a bathroom, from a neighbor of the Kushner family.

A White House spokesperson denied that Trump and Kushner restricted agents from their 5,000-square-foot home, with its six bedrooms and 6.5 bathrooms, and asserted that it was the Secret Service’s decision not to allow the protective detail inside. That account is disputed by a law enforcement official familiar with the situation, who said the agents were kept out at the family’s request.

A spokeswoman for the Secret Service declined to comment, saying the agency “does not discuss the means, methods or resources utilized to carry out our protective mission.”

Arrangements that allow for some distance between Secret Service agents and those they guard are not unusual, particularly when the agency’s “means, methods or resources” involve indoor plumbing. The people who qualify for such protection often occupy expensive, sprawling properties where a detail can use a garage, pool house or other outbuilding as a command post, break room and bathroom.

The episode in Kalorama is unusual because of the lengths to which the agents’ exile took them. In addition to their reliance on the restrooms used by fellow agents assigned to the Obamas and Pences, the detail occasionally popped into neighborhood businesses to avail themselves of the facilities.

“It’s the first time I ever heard of a Secret Service detail having to go to these extremes to find a bathroom,” said one law enforcement official familiar with the situation.

The agents’ bizarre odyssey played out in full view of a wealthy enclave in Northwest Washington, where many deplore Trump’s presidency and have expressed frustration over what they view as the Kushner family’s disregard for their neighbors. The community also includes multiple embassies and a house owned by Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon and owner of The Washington Post.

The blockade of precious street parking spaces by the Trump/Kushner Secret Service detail roiled the neighborhood early in 2017. The porta-potty erected for agents further enraged residents unaccustomed to such sights on stately Tracy Place NW. As the Trump administration enters its final days with the president impeached a second time for inciting a deadly attack on the Capitol, eyes in Kalorama are peeled for the sight of moving trucks.

“They sort of came in with the attitude, like, ‘We are royalty,’” Dianne Bruce, who until recently lived across the street, said of Kushner and Trump. “When they put the porta-potty right outside on the sidewalk we weren’t allowed to walk on, that was when people in the neighborhood said, ‘That’s really not acceptable.’”

Bruce said she felt sympathy for the family’s protective detail as she watched agents trying to balance the call of duty with nature’s call.

“These poor people,” she remembers thinking when the porta-potty was hauled away. “What, are they going to have to get in their cars” to go to the bathroom?

They were, and they did.

Two law enforcement officials said the bathrooms inside the Trump/Kushner home were declared off-limits to the people protecting them from the beginning. One official did not know the reason for this restriction, while the other said it was instigated by the couple. Both spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of security arrangements for the president’s family.

White House spokesman Judd Deere denied that Trump and Kushner ever requested that their Secret Service detail not use the bathrooms in their home.

“When discussions regarding protecting their home were initially had in 2017, Ivanka and Jared made clear that their home would always be open to the incredible men and women on their detail. It was only after a decision by the was made that their detail sought other accommodations,” Deere wrote in an email. “The Kushners have a tremendous amount of respect for the servicemen and women on their detail and for the United States Secret Service as a whole. Their home will always be open to them and they have immense gratitude for their service over the last four years.”

The porta-potty was the agency’s initial solution to the protective detail’s dilemma, but it was removed in the face of the neighborhood’s protests. After that, according to the law enforcement officials, the agents began using a bathroom in a garage at the Obamas’ house, which the former president’s protective detail had turned into a command post.

The Obamas did not use the garage, so the extra traffic to and from the command post caused no problem. Yet this solution, too, was short-lived after a Secret Service supervisor from the Trump/Kushner detail left an unpleasant mess in the Obama bathroom at some point before the fall of 2017, according to a person briefed on the event. That prompted the leaders of the Obama detail to ban the agents up the street from ever returning.

The agents assigned to the president’s daughter and son-in-law began driving a mile to Pence’s home at the Naval Observatory, where they were allowed to use a bathroom in a stand-alone guard station. If they didn’t have time for that excursion, the law enforcement officials said, they relied on the hospitality of nearby restaurants.

So when the Secret Service knocked on the door of Kay Kendall in September 2017, she was not surprised to learn why.

“I think it was very clear that they just needed a place to take a shower, take a break, use the facilities, have lunch,” said Kendall, who is chairwoman of the D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities and is married to Jack Davies, founder of AOL International. “I’m happy to be able to have helped them.”

Apart from the Kalorama house where she lives, Kendall owns a home across the street from Trump and Kushner. That house has a basement unit, including a bathroom, that is accessible from the rear. She thought of breaking that space off and ran the idea by the house’s tenant, former Connecticut congressman Anthony “Toby” Moffett Jr.

“I told her, ‘It’s fine, if you reduce the rent,’” Moffett recalled.

General Services Administration records indicate that the lease of the 820-square-foot basement on Tracy Place NW began on Sept. 27, 2017. It is due to expire on Sept. 26 of this year, at which point the federal government will have paid a total of $144,000 for the space.

Secret Service agents typically seek low-profile location for their command post and restroom, said Steve Atkiss, who served as special assistant for operations to former president George W. Bush and chief of staff at U.S. Customs and Border Protection. For example, former White House chief of staff Andy Card had a trailer set up for his protective detail at the end of his block in Virginia, Atkiss recalled. At the Bush family compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, a building was constructed specifically for the security detail of two former presidents, he said.

“I’ve seen it accomplished 1,000 different ways,” Atkiss said. “They don’t want to be in their personal space.”

In Kalorama, the Kushner/Trump agents were pleased with their new digs, the law enforcement officials said. The studio had plenty of natural light. Some considered it akin to a well-heeled lawyer’s study. Most importantly, it opened on a tidy bathroom.

“It’s been no big deal,” Moffett said. “They have been very nice to our grandchildren.”

The Secret Service has repeatedly incurred serious costs from providing protection to President Trump’s children. In October, The Post reported that Ivanka Trump, Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr. had enriched their family’s business, as the Trump Organization charged the federal government at least $238,000 for agents’ lodgings when the trio and their families visited Trump properties. Trump says he lost billions of dollars being president instead of running his business, which his sons have operated the past four years..

Deere declined to comment on how long Trump and Kushner plan to stay in Kalorama after President Trump leaves office next week.

Some neighbors are looking forward to their exit.

“I want my nice, quiet neighborhood back," said Marti Robinson, a trial attorney who lives across the street and was an Obama-appointed member of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

On a recent Tuesday, some quiet seemed to have returned. There was no sign of activity at the Kushner family’s residence, with its gray exterior shutters and white walls of brick. Black SUVs were parked in front.

A door to one of those SUVs opened, revealing what was, for the moment, the street’s only sign of life: A man wearing a dark suit, badge and crimson tie. He walked purposefully across the street, arms straight at his sides, and disappeared behind the house whose basement is being rented by the U.S. government. Five minutes later, he reemerged, recrossed the street, and stepped back into his vehicle.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Real talk....i'm only KINDA upset about this...lol... If I were filthy.....
Jan 14th 2021
there should at least be a servant's area
Jan 14th 2021
      They got three kids they could all take a shit at the same time
Jan 14th 2021
      "I don't understand the question"-Ivanka
Jan 14th 2021
the reason they can't use the Obama house is hilarious
Jan 14th 2021
I had to turn off my camera in a work meeting from laughing at this...
Jan 14th 2021
I bursted into laughter at the phrase, "unpleasant mess"
Jan 14th 2021
      I literally turned the camera off but forgot to mute. Broke out
Jan 14th 2021
AKA Trump SS Supervisor did an upper decker in an Obama toilet
Jan 14th 2021
the two security detail teams feuding is kinda funny haha
Jan 14th 2021
FUck them. But tbh I don't like sharing bathrooms lol
Jan 14th 2021
lmao at the “I kinda agree with Ivanka” ass fools in here
Jan 14th 2021
You want the people working for you to actually WANT to
Jan 15th 2021
You ALWAYS take care of admins, janitorial, and security
Jan 15th 2021

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Thu Jan-14-21 12:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Real talk....i'm only KINDA upset about this...lol... If I were filthy....."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd probably restrict bathroom use in my estate also.....

I haven't read the whole article yet BTW....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

luminous
Charter member
12458 posts
Thu Jan-14-21 12:24 PM

2. "there should at least be a servant's area"
In response to Reply # 1

where does the maid use the bathroom?

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

MEAT
22247 posts
Thu Jan-14-21 12:27 PM

3. "They got three kids they could all take a shit at the same time"
In response to Reply # 2

And still have two pots left over to piss in.

------

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44805 posts
Thu Jan-14-21 12:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. ""I don't understand the question"-Ivanka"
In response to Reply # 2

>where does the maid use the bathroom?

These people don't strike me as the type to care about such things.

I wouldn't bat an eye if you told me the maid has to wear some sort of catheter with a bag.

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Thu Jan-14-21 12:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "the reason they can't use the Obama house is hilarious"
In response to Reply # 0

"this solution, too, was short-lived after a Secret Service supervisor from the Trump/Kushner detail left an unpleasant mess in the Obama bathroom at some point before the fall of 2017, according to a person briefed on the event.

That prompted the leaders of the Obama detail to ban the agents up the street from ever returning."

I don't want the details about this... but then, I absolutely want the details on this.

IMO there's a fantastic dark comedy waiting to be made about this.

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Thu Jan-14-21 12:38 PM

6. "I had to turn off my camera in a work meeting from laughing at this..."
In response to Reply # 4

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Thu Jan-14-21 12:41 PM

7. "I bursted into laughter at the phrase, "unpleasant mess" "
In response to Reply # 6

I just picture a reporter asking the Obama unit about it, and they just say some shit like, "we don't talk about The Incident", looking all stoic.

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Thu Jan-14-21 12:58 PM

8. "I literally turned the camera off but forgot to mute. Broke out "
In response to Reply # 7

laughing on the mic and got embarrassed..."unpleasant mess"...I might be on Ivanka's side after reading that lol...

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Thu Jan-14-21 01:28 PM

9. "AKA Trump SS Supervisor did an upper decker in an Obama toilet"
In response to Reply # 4

We can trace the current insurrection back to this moment

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32081 posts
Thu Jan-14-21 02:39 PM

11. "the two security detail teams feuding is kinda funny haha "
In response to Reply # 4

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32081 posts
Thu Jan-14-21 02:38 PM

10. "FUck them. But tbh I don't like sharing bathrooms lol"
In response to Reply # 0

major germaphobe and I live alone. Xmas break was kinda rough because we took a cabin trip. 6 people. 2 bathrooms. (

Maybe if I had a team of agents protecting my 2 bedroom loft I'd feel differently idk

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79331 posts
Thu Jan-14-21 11:18 PM

12. "lmao at the “I kinda agree with Ivanka” ass fools in here"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40917 posts
Fri Jan-15-21 09:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "You want the people working for you to actually WANT to"
In response to Reply # 0

work for you, especially if their job is keeping you alive.

How do they expect them to be able to dive in the way of a bullet if they got the bubble guts?

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

MEAT
22247 posts
Fri Jan-15-21 09:44 AM

14. "You ALWAYS take care of admins, janitorial, and security"
In response to Reply # 13

That's the top rule of any successful operation

------

Lobby General Discussion topic #13420428 Previous topic | Next topic