Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13418510

Subject: "Any avid watch collectors?" Previous topic | Next topic
Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 01:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Any avid watch collectors?"
Mon Jan-04-21 01:31 PM by Heinz

Starting to get into it, what was your first watch?

----------

IG @erichrigonan

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I used to LOVE watches...but then I got an Apple Watch last year lol....
Jan 04th 2021
Haha i’ve noticed a lot of people saying this
Jan 04th 2021
      I have a Tudor Presidential 1970's vintage that my wife got me for Xmas ...
Jan 05th 2021
           Haha yeah i agree i love how convenient apples watches are
Jan 05th 2021
I used to be HEAVY into watch collecting.
Jan 04th 2021
Delete
Jan 04th 2021
Great looking watch!
Jan 04th 2021
Nasty, NASTY habit
Jan 04th 2021
Haha it is
Jan 04th 2021
yes
Jan 05th 2021
Anyone wearing a smart watch and still rotating in your traditional
Jan 05th 2021
You mean simultaneously? I did it once...and it felt goofy...it was goof...
Jan 05th 2021
      Nah - I definitely can't do that...
Jan 05th 2021
           I think I'm going to start wearing my regular watches on the weekend...
Jan 05th 2021
Divers/Sports watches
Jan 05th 2021
I like watches
Jan 05th 2021
I have last years model, I get a full day easily.....
Jan 05th 2021
      Streaming music on that while working out must be so clutch
Jan 05th 2021
           man, it IS...
Jan 05th 2021
           How about leaving the phone at home, still being connected AND streaming
Jan 05th 2021
in my head/heart i am. in my wallet? nah bruh.
Jan 05th 2021
Theres great entry watches that are well respected in that world
Jan 05th 2021
Trying not to be. But then I saw this one...
Jan 06th 2021
Yo! That Charlie Brown series really had me on the cusp....
Jan 06th 2021
Wow both are dope, i want that Srpc13k!!
Jan 06th 2021
Current state of my collection
Jan 06th 2021
Somewhat into watches. My pop gave me a vintage Movado and...
Jan 07th 2021
Finally copped a G-Shock 'Casioak' GA-2100
Dec 18th 2021
RE: Any avid watch collectors?
Dec 20th 2021

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 01:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I used to LOVE watches...but then I got an Apple Watch last year lol...."
In response to Reply # 0

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Heinz
20759 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 05:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Haha i’ve noticed a lot of people saying this"
In response to Reply # 1

I was offered an Apple Watch from a family member for xmas but I don’t have any use for it. They suggested I use it for the gym but It would just get in the way of my workouts. i dont like things on my wrist while working out besides straps that I use on heavy lifts because I broke my hand/wrist years ago. I have 2 entry watches right now one a Citizen Men's Promaster Diver Eco-Drive BN0191-55L and a Seiko SRPD65K1F. I have a 1963 Rolex Datejust that was my grandfathers that i need to take out of a safety deposit box and get serviced. I really want a Milgauss with the white face and Laco Casablanca 39.

----------

IG @erichrigonan

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 06:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "I have a Tudor Presidential 1970's vintage that my wife got me for Xmas ..."
In response to Reply # 4

ago and that's as deep into as I was able to get. My tastes exceeded my budget lol....
The Tudor was a major gift from her and I knew it was going to get way less wear....but that was probably for the best since it's such an old piece and I probably shouldn't wear it daily anyway.

I'd still love to get my hands on something like a Grand Seiko just because I really like style of them.

The thing about the Apple Watch is that they just nailed almost every aspect of what a functional watch tool should be in modern times....especially now that they have always on displays. First and foremost it tells time and displays it clearly and reliably. The smart watch features are actually useful and just work with no fuss. My sport of choice is running and it functions perfectly as a running watch (accurate heart rate, clear display, long battery life, onboard music and cellular, etc.)

If you want to get into watch collecting, DON'T get an Apple Watch lol...

Heinz
20759 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 01:21 PM

17. "Haha yeah i agree i love how convenient apples watches are"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue Jan-05-21 01:22 PM by Heinz

And if I was a runner I definitely see how it’s useful. I really only really do a cross of bodybuilding and powerlifting type of training. I do cardio as well on my Assault Bike or short rest during lifts. I just don’t have a need for it but yeah I can see how watch collecting can be addictive. That Tudor looks like a great watch and you gotta love a vintage piece.

----------

IG @erichrigonan

soulfunk
Charter member
11000 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 05:03 PM

2. "I used to be HEAVY into watch collecting. "
In response to Reply # 0

My nicest watch is a Panerai PAM 372 that I bought used after flipping a PAM 005. Besides that I have around 20 much cheaper watches that I never wear. At this point I only wear my PAM a couple times a year though, because of my Apple Watch. I have a tone of various straps and bands that I flip with the Apple Watch to try to replicate the feeling of changing my watch every day, but it isn’t the same.

Heinz
20759 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 05:54 PM

5. "Delete"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon Jan-04-21 05:59 PM by Heinz

Double post

Heinz
20759 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 05:58 PM

6. "Great looking watch!"
In response to Reply # 2

Finding cheaper watches that are well respected in that community is satisfying. People are big on Seiko’s SNK809 watches for being the best under $100 watch and it actually is a really solid clean watch. It’s big in the mod community as well.

https://pixelthing.medium.com/my-seiko-snk-po-mo-1d5b71f1c6d5

----------

IG @erichrigonan IG @erichrigonan

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 05:21 PM

3. "Nasty, NASTY habit "
In response to Reply # 0

>Starting to get into it, what was your first watch?
>
>
>----------
>
>IG @erichrigonan

In addition to being illogical, irrational and cost-prohibitive.

I have a Speedmaster and I absolutely love it.
I am scheming on a IWC Pilot Chronograph Le Petit Prince. Now is not the time to be throwing away money on a frivolous watch, but it I see a good used deal and my home repairs get done......

Heinz
20759 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 06:38 PM

7. "Haha it is"
In response to Reply # 3

----------

IG @erichrigonan

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 12:43 AM

8. "yes"
In response to Reply # 3

>In addition to being illogical, irrational and
>cost-prohibitive.

they look nice but it goes from "nice little splurge" to "refinancing the house" purchase quickly

--------

soulfunk
Charter member
11000 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 08:16 AM

10. "Anyone wearing a smart watch and still rotating in your traditional"
In response to Reply # 0

watches? I'd love to to this, but I'm also obsessed with closing the fitness rings on my Apple Watch every day so I always have it on while awake...

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 08:29 AM

11. "You mean simultaneously? I did it once...and it felt goofy...it was goof..."
In response to Reply # 10

I think I only kept it on for like an hour lol...

I wonder if they make any sort of accessory to turn it into a pocket watch?? (goes to Amazon to find out)

soulfunk
Charter member
11000 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 08:39 AM

12. "Nah - I definitely can't do that..."
In response to Reply # 11

There's a guy at my job who does that, wearing on both wrists, looks completely goofy. I just wondered if anyone switches out to traditional watches at specific times. I've tried doing that but at this point I feel naked walking around without my numbers being tracked.

>I wonder if they make any sort of accessory to turn it into a
>pocket watch?? (goes to Amazon to find out)

This is a great idea - maybe even just for times when you're going out somewhere formal, wearing a traditional watch with the Apple Watch in your suit jacket pocket. Not sure if it would track while not being on your wrist, I'll have to test that after the pandemic.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 09:00 AM

16. "I think I'm going to start wearing my regular watches on the weekend..."
In response to Reply # 12

just to cut down on the constant alerts & digital "noise"....

I only saw a couple of accessories on Amazon....the most appealing looking one turned the watch into a lanyard basically....so I guess that would work ok...don't necessarily need to have it on your neck.

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 08:51 AM

13. "Divers/Sports watches"
In response to Reply # 0

I was never really a watch guy until about 15 years ago when I received a Citizen's diver's watch as a present. I love the look and feel of a big heavy divers watch.

Since then, I've amassed a collection of dive and adventure watches. I have several G-Shocks, a Tag-Hauer, a few Invictas, Garmin, Swiss Army and Seiko. The bulkier and more rugged they look, the better.

They closest thing to a smart watch I have is the Garmin. It has GPS, and a fitness tracker. Other than that the only thing keeping me from getting a smart watch is that they look too slim and sleek for my tastes.

jimi
Charter member
4614 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 08:52 AM

14. "I like watches"
In response to Reply # 0

I currently have a gold Movado (got it as a gift) .. a stainless Seiko and a couple G-Shocks..

My wife got me the Apple watch for my birthday.. I haven't looked back..

my only annoyance is having to charge it... they need a better battery

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 08:57 AM

15. "I have last years model, I get a full day easily....."
In response to Reply # 14

even with a good 5mile run while streaming music.. it'll be at about 20% by 9pm.

Heinz
20759 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 01:23 PM

18. "Streaming music on that while working out must be so clutch"
In response to Reply # 15

----------

IG @erichrigonan

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 01:27 PM

19. "man, it IS..."
In response to Reply # 18

I upgraded to a Fitbit Versa 3, a couple months ago. Specifically for the larger, color screen and the ability to control my Spotify from the watch.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 01:42 PM

21. "How about leaving the phone at home, still being connected AND streaming"
In response to Reply # 18
Tue Jan-05-21 01:44 PM by FLUIDJ

music....
It's pretty much the dream setup i'd had since the Pebble watch came out.
Always hated running with a phone.
It also automatically silences notifications when you're exercising. Cherry on top is combining it with AirPod pros and being able to control music via voice control by talking to Siri (the only time i've found Siri worth a damn btw lol)

The cellular version of the Apple Watch is the only version I would recommend for anyone that wants to use it for exercise too..

PROMO
Charter member
30978 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 01:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "in my head/heart i am. in my wallet? nah bruh."
In response to Reply # 0

Heinz
20759 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 11:24 PM

22. "Theres great entry watches that are well respected in that world"
In response to Reply # 20

I’m even on the hunt for this Fossil (lol i know) watch ONLY because it was designed by the great Canadian architect Frank Gehry. Theres a few but theres one design that i really want.

----------

IG @erichrigonan

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Wed Jan-06-21 09:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "Trying not to be. But then I saw this one..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/bS8YXoK_AuI

Seiko SRPC13K. Something about the dial color and that aftermarket mesh bracelet spoke my language. Unfortunately, that variant sold out super quick and the aftermarket sales, when they popped up, were more than I could afford at the time. Instead, I ended up getting the brown and gold variant for cheap on Ebay, which dove me down the rabbit hole.

I'm now up to 10 in my watch case. All affordable, nothing high end (not quite built for that yet), all in rotation. 6 automatics, 3 quartz, 1 digital and a number of straps, NATOs and a bracelet or 2.

My personal favorite is my Timex Marlin Charlie Brown watch, for a lot of personal reasons, detailed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/eoffyo/timex_x_peanuts_marlin_this_one_is_personal/

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Wed Jan-06-21 09:10 AM

24. "Yo! That Charlie Brown series really had me on the cusp...."
In response to Reply # 23

Heinz
20759 posts
Wed Jan-06-21 09:22 AM

25. "Wow both are dope, i want that Srpc13k!!"

----------

IG @erichrigonan

spenzalii
10982 posts
Wed Jan-06-21 01:21 PM

26. "Current state of my collection"

Timex Marlin - Charlie Brown https://images.timex.com/image/upload/q_auto,f_auto/e_sharpen:120,b_white/w_900,c_fit/Catalogs/timex-master-catalog/images/TW2U12700.png

Timex Marlin - Snoopy (dark and stormy night) https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61a2xkaojxL._AC_SR700,525_.jpg

Love both of these. One is on a brown leather strap, the other on a Milanese mesh bracelet. The Charlie Brown one I had to have. The Snoopy version was on sale on Black Friday, making it hard to pass up

Seiko SRPC16k https://cdn2.jomashop.com/media/catalog/product/s/e/seiko-recraft-automatic-brown-dial-men_s-watch-srpc16.jpg

Seiko SRPC09 https://cdn2.jomashop.com/media/catalog/product/s/e/seiko-recraft-automatic-blue-dial-men_s-watch-srpc09.jpg

As mentioned, that SRPC13K sold out quick. That one and the SRPC16K were limited releases. I don't have many times to wear a gold watch, but when I do, this one is amazing. The blue one was a gift from my wife and is a bit more versatile. Swapped the gold one to a brown rally strap, and the blue to an Uncle Seiko razorwire bracelet

Seiko 5 'Bottlecap' https://cdn.creationwatches.com/products/images/large/SRPC63K1_LRG.jpg

My only 'dive style' watch, for not (I'll probably get a Samurai at some point this year, but want a few others in the collection first). The color on this one in person is weird. The anno on the bezel is this teal/aqua color and the dial is this greyish-green color. Managed to find a leather strap that matches about perfectly and haven't changed it yet.

Casio Databank https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Y5qZgtgwL._AC_UX342_.jpg

This one annoys me. I had plenty of these in high school, where this was the OG 'smartwatch' of the time. The resin cases always broke where the spring bar met the case, or the resin strap would break, or both. The ones on Ebay are either pretty trashed or more than I want to pay for nostalgia. Casio re-released these recently and I picked one up. As soon as I touched it I regretted it. Watch band is crap. Case is crap (the original silver had a metal case; this one is plastic). the watch module is totally different. So not what I wanted. I left it in the box for a week and seriously thought about sending it back. In the end I swapped the strap to something else and kept it. It will work as a beater, it should always be on time, and if anything happens to it, I don't really care much

Citizen Eco Drive AR 2.0 https://content.abt.com/image.php/big_AW115007E.jpg?image=/images/products/BDP_Images/big_AW115007E.jpg&canvas=1&quality=80&min_w=600&min_h=400

Had this one for over a decade at this point. Only had to replace the capacitor once. Goes with almost anything. Only downside is the weird watch lug size (23mm), which limits changing the strap. In the time I've had this watch I've had 3 Fossil automatic watches die on me. The Citizen is still ticking

Bulova Precisionist https://media.jewelfeed.com/catalog/items/48a07173-34ff-4020-a2b3-fefff82df50e.png.800x800_q85_background.png

This one was all about the movement, as I don't quite like it as a dress watch (at least not on the leather strap it came on). The high frequency quarts movement makes the second hand 'sweep' around the dial much smoother than a regular automatic, even a high beat auto. It's the closest in smoothness to the Spring Drive you'll find in a Grand Seiko (though not in the same league). I swap between a suede and a sailcloth strap which works much better on this one

Fossil Rutherford https://cdn2.jomashop.com/media/catalog/product/f/o/fossil-rutherford-white-dial-men_s-watch-fs5353.jpg

Put this one on a black leather strap and it's just classy 70's vibe. There's a Longines Heritage 1969 that I really want (https://watchesbysjx.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Longines-Heritage-1969-steel-6.jpg), but I don't have that money to spend on a watch, so the Fossil will have to do

I also have a Fossil Automatic that I just don't get along with, don't care enough to find it and may not keep it in the collection

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 08:06 AM

27. "Somewhat into watches. My pop gave me a vintage Movado and..."
In response to Reply # 0

...it felt heavy and uncomfortable on my wrist. Poked the back of my hand. Battery kept dying (probably a short somewhere). Metal band kept popping open. It looked fly tho. It's been in a box for the past 20 years.

Didn't get back into watches until I discovered wind-up skeleton watches: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/75/Montre_squelette.jpg/1200px-Montre_squelette.jpg

I *love* these. I have a few of random (inexpensive) brands. These and the pocketwatch version of these are really dope to me. I keep my eye out for vintage ones in thrift shops.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Sat Dec-18-21 02:01 PM

28. "Finally copped a G-Shock 'Casioak' GA-2100"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.gshock.com/watches/analog-digital/ga2100-1a1?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=1705837129&utm_content=u&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqvaNBhDLARIsAH1Pq50it-R_i-JHi1sHlbTzAD3A-RMq9iw9M0ySRMHyG5eGiGMjjY23W9EaAh4VEALw_wcB

These things sell out almost as soon as they are in stock. One of the more compact G-Shock watches you can find, with the case resembling the Royal Oak (even though the dimensions are much closer to the classic G-Shock square). Part of me regrets getting the 'stealth' model, as it may be a little hard to see if the light isn't right (though the digital display is a button push away). But aesthetically, the murdered out watch is damn near perfect, and functionally will take whatever beating I'll put it through. I got a set of adapters and swapped the resin band for a sailcloth band and love it.

Casio did release a metal version (as there are tons of mods that replace the watch module for a metal case to look even more like a Royal Oak) which I may look into at some point, but I want a different G-Shock first...

auralbliss
Member since Jun 19th 2002
427 posts
Mon Dec-20-21 02:41 AM

29. "RE: Any avid watch collectors?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wouldn't consider myself avid, but I got a modest little collection: 2 Hamilton Khaki Field watches (a black on black, and an olive green), a Tissot Luxury Powermatic 80 and a Seastar, a brown Seiko Presage, and a black and teal Seiko bottle cap.

"the older i get man, the dumber that i was" the grouch

Lobby General Discussion topic #13418510 Previous topic | Next topic