Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13418233

Subject: "Will I, a moron, be able to install a SSD drive in my Macbook Pro?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 07:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Will I, a moron, be able to install a SSD drive in my Macbook Pro?"

I have a 13" Macbook Pro from 2013 and a photographer friend of mine suggested I install a SSD drive on it. It works great and I mostly use it for making music on, so this is *a* link on how:

https://www.instructables.com/Installing-SSD-Solid-State-Drive-in-your-MacBook/

Is this heavy duty? I have no idea, I am - as the post title suggests - an idiot and I have no patience for stuff like this. But, I also want my Mac to run a little more smoothly when working in Pro Tools and I'd love to buy a SSD drive for $100 vs buying a new computer for $3000

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Will I, a moron, be able to install a SSD drive in my Macbook Pro?
Dec 30th 2020
Do you have a time machine backup?
Dec 30th 2020
I'm a pretty active backup-er (?) so that'd be fine
Jan 02nd 2021
      If you've been using it this long without a SSD
Jan 02nd 2021
           My MBP13 lasts less than 3 minutes without the charger in now
Jan 04th 2021
Oops, I misread....hard drive is easy...battery is NOT.....
Dec 31st 2020
anyone use an external SSD back up to run their OS?
Dec 31st 2020
I don't think it'll work on a MacOS...but I ran Windows off external via...
Dec 31st 2020
the external SSD would be for my desktop
Dec 31st 2020
      I don't know how to pull it off without using a virtual machine program....
Dec 31st 2020
           I ran ubuntu off an external SSD for an old pc once and I did have to do
Dec 31st 2020
           My mac is slow af
Dec 31st 2020
                Psssht, let the youngins have their way with it
Dec 31st 2020
                     sheeeeeeeit. They are 3 and 5. They don’t need a 27” desktop
Jan 04th 2021
My work computer runs off external SSD.
Jan 02nd 2021
No idea about any of that but just want to wish you luck lol
Dec 31st 2020
2013??? MMMMM...not sure.
Jan 01st 2021
You think you're gonna get by without paying Apple?
Jan 01st 2021
^ nm
Jan 02nd 2021
:::exits::: thought this was a WILL I AM diss post
Jan 03rd 2021
RE: Will I, a moron, be able to install a SSD drive in my Macbook Pro?
Jan 04th 2021
back up and migration is the key.. as others have noted
Jan 05th 2021

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 10:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Will I, a moron, be able to install a SSD drive in my Macbook Pro?"
In response to Reply # 0

>
>I have a 13" Macbook Pro from 2013 and a photographer friend
>of mine suggested I install a SSD drive on it. It works great
>and I mostly use it for making music on, so this is *a* link
>on how:
>
>https://www.instructables.com/Installing-SSD-Solid-State-Drive-in-your-MacBook/
>
>Is this heavy duty? I have no idea, I am - as the post title
>suggests - an idiot and I have no patience for stuff like
>this. But, I also want my Mac to run a little more smoothly
>when working in Pro Tools and I'd love to buy a SSD drive for
>$100 vs buying a new computer for $3000

Definitely do not try this until the migration/OS install guide is posted (mentioned at the bottom of the article).

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 10:21 PM

2. "Do you have a time machine backup?"
In response to Reply # 0

Putting a SSD drive in a older computer will give it a few extra years of life, but it's not as simple as putting the drive in and going.

After you successfully install the drive, you'll need to put the OS back on it and you need to put your data back on it. Your instructions don't cover that. Don't swap out your drive unless you have a Time Machine backup.

Go to https://www.ifixit.com/ and search for your Mac. It'll tell you what tools you need and it has a better set of instructions imo. If you know your way around instructions and you feel comfortable with tinkering, you should be ok. Otherwise it might be easier for you to pay somebody to do it if you know you don't have the patience for it.

Also it's best practice to have an anti-static wristband and mat, but in my experience, you don't really need it for this. They're supposed to prevent any static electricity you may have from jumping into any computer components you touch and frying it. I've been in and out of machines for 15+ years. Never wore one for a hard drive swap, never fucked up a hard drive.

Bambino Grande
965 posts
Sat Jan-02-21 08:54 PM

15. "I'm a pretty active backup-er (?) so that'd be fine"
In response to Reply # 2

When you start talking about anti-static wristbands tho...

I should / could probably ask someone to do it for $50 or whatever, but the more I look at these new macbook pros.... Oh lord. I love my laptop and its served me well for 7+ years, but at some point we deserve new computers, no?

Still torn on wether I should keep riding with this for a few more years or no, if an SSD drive gives this computer a boost I'll gladly rock with it for at least another year

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Sat Jan-02-21 11:50 PM

17. "If you've been using it this long without a SSD"
In response to Reply # 15

then you'll most likely keep it for a few more years after you do the SSD install. It'll feel like a brand new laptop once you put it in. If I was you I'd put the SSD in and wait for your software/plugins to be compatible with the new Macs before buying.

I tried to hold on to my MBP 2012 for as long as I could since it's basically impossible to swap out parts on the newer ones, but the battery life is horrible on it. You only get 3 hours on a brand new MBP battery. I'm eventually gonna have to get a new Macbook and have to deal with all the bullshit that comes with them.

For now I've been using a Lenovo with Linux on it. That shit gets 8 hours of battery life. I haven't turned my Mac on since the pandemic started.

Bambino Grande
965 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 06:15 PM

21. "My MBP13 lasts less than 3 minutes without the charger in now"
In response to Reply # 17

its completely ridiculous

Apart from that it works like a charm

I agree on all of this ^

It would be alotta bs with software upgrades and compatibility if I were to change Macs now, the SSD would probably go a looong way. And I might throw in a new battery for $140 too

Also these new Macs are like an Apple first, I'm sure the ones released next year will have addressed some of the issues people surely will have with these. Even tho they look and seem cool AF

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Dec-31-20 07:01 AM

3. "Oops, I misread....hard drive is easy...battery is NOT....."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Dec-31-20 07:03 AM by FLUIDJ

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79620 posts
Thu Dec-31-20 10:37 AM

4. "anyone use an external SSD back up to run their OS? "
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Dec-31-20 10:46 AM

5. "I don't think it'll work on a MacOS...but I ran Windows off external via..."
In response to Reply # 4
Thu Dec-31-20 10:46 AM by FLUIDJ

Parallels for a short while until I put a larger HD in my MacBook....
I made sure to go with a 1TB HD when I upgraded to a newer MacBook last year though....
it was kinda annoying having to plug in the external SSD when I needed to work in the Windows environment

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

legsdiamond
79620 posts
Thu Dec-31-20 11:13 AM

6. "the external SSD would be for my desktop"
In response to Reply # 5

we’re getting new macbooks next week.

I’ve never had a laptop before.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Dec-31-20 11:31 AM

7. "I don't know how to pull it off without using a virtual machine program...."
In response to Reply # 6

You'd have to set the BIOS to boot from attached USB storage if I recall correctly, but I haven't messed with PC's like that for years....things may have changed by now.

What exactly are you trying to achieve though? May have some alternate approaches for you depending on your goal

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Thu Dec-31-20 04:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "I ran ubuntu off an external SSD for an old pc once and I did have to do"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Dec-31-20 04:44 PM by kfine

>You'd have to set the BIOS to boot from attached USB storage
>if I recall correctly

this^. I can't even remember more about how I set things up bc I was just super desperate and needed Anaconda up and running asap due to my computer not co-operating (for reasons I was fully aware of and had previously caused so I could continue using a software license that had long-expired lol).

But I do remember the BIOS step and actually the entire setup was so annoying to maintain that I ended up just caving and buying a new computer anyway.

One of those things where being cheap felt like more trouble than it was worth. It did buy me time and help me fall in love with linux tho lol

legsdiamond
79620 posts
Thu Dec-31-20 07:00 PM

10. "My mac is slow af"
In response to Reply # 7

wife and I use the same desktop and switching between users can take a long ass time

thats really the only reason

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Dec-31-20 09:10 PM

11. "Psssht, let the youngins have their way with it"
In response to Reply # 10

That’s basically what my old MacBook is doing now.
May be worth wiping the OS and starting it from scratch after you get the new ones. May be useful if you’re just running the base OS and one dedicated app

legsdiamond
79620 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 04:14 PM

19. "sheeeeeeeit. They are 3 and 5. They don’t need a 27” desktop"
In response to Reply # 11

or whatever size that shit is..

I just need it to be a bit faster. prolly throw some more RAM in there.

where can I download more ram? lmao

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Sat Jan-02-21 09:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "My work computer runs off external SSD."
In response to Reply # 4

Internal iMac's drive is now used for storage. Wasn't hard to do although I don't remember the steps.

I'm a designer/photographer and things would drag on my new computer that worked fine on the prior one. Learned afterwards Apple using 5400rpm drives internally caused the jam so now run everything off the external SSD. I don't notice it until I have to peak behind and unplug something and worry I'm going to pull the wrong cord, ha ha.

See ya, JAK
http://www.staugustinepics.com/

Winner of OKP Second Photo Kontest
Pic #6 http://www.tha-renaissance.com/effstop/kontest2

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Thu Dec-31-20 05:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "No idea about any of that but just want to wish you luck lol"
In response to Reply # 0

your reasoning makes sense

Castro
Charter member
50751 posts
Fri Jan-01-21 03:11 AM

12. "2013??? MMMMM...not sure."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Fri Jan-01-21 03:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "You think you're gonna get by without paying Apple?"
In response to Reply # 0

lol

---
Love,
Nopayne

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Sat Jan-02-21 03:28 PM

14. "^ nm"
In response to Reply # 13

---

But hell, what do I know?

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Sun Jan-03-21 12:23 AM

18. ":::exits::: thought this was a WILL I AM diss post"
In response to Reply # 0

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

jacksonwonderland
Member since Apr 07th 2003
459 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 04:45 PM

20. "RE: Will I, a moron, be able to install a SSD drive in my Macbook Pro?"
In response to Reply # 0

yes the install takes five minutes and just reinstall using time machine

//www.swelldelvin.tumblr.com>

jimi
Charter member
4614 posts
Tue Jan-05-21 09:19 AM

22. "back up and migration is the key.. as others have noted"
In response to Reply # 0

i brought a samsung jawn for my pc..(i know you said macbook pro)

formatted it
plug it in through usb (might need an adapter or something) so you can to use the migration tool
downloaded the migration tool to the old disk drive
run it and point to your new ssd
let it do it's thing...

from there remove your old one (shutdown everything, of course)
pop in the new one

Lobby General Discussion topic #13418233 Previous topic | Next topic