Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13418191

Subject: "RIP Adolfo Shabba-Doo Quiones" Previous topic | Next topic
CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 02:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RIP Adolfo Shabba-Doo Quiones"

https://thegrio.com/2020/12/30/shabba-doo-quinones-dead/

The poplocking innovator's death was reported on Twitter by his Original Lockers co-founder, Toni Basil.

TheGrio
December 30, 2020

Early Wednesday, dance historians and lovers of all things hip-hop were saddened by reports that Adolfo Quinones, more commonly known as Shabba-Doo, had died.

The dancer-actor-choreographer — a founding member of The Original Lockers, whose pioneer moves as part of the street-dancing dynamos inspired a generation and fueled a culture — was 65. As as early Wednesday, no cause of death or any other information had been announced.

Just a day before, Quinones, who was known for his acrobatic poplocking skills and roles in the 1984 films Breakin’ and sequel Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo seven months later, had posted on Instagram about falling ill. He was pictured lying in bed, but he was thrilled that his test for coronavirus had come back negative.

“Good news y’all! I’m feeling all better,” the Chicago-born and raised Quinones wrote. “I’m just a wee bit sluggish from my cold, but the good news is I’m Covid 19 negative! Woo hoo!!!”

Twitter, at 8 a.m. PST, found itself rocked by news of Quinones’ death, delivered via fellow Lockers legend and longtime Quinones pal Toni Basil.

“It is with extreme sadness The Lockers family announces the unexpected passing of our beloved Adolfo Shabba-doo Quinones,” she announced.

“In this difficult time,” Basil concluded, “we are requesting privacy.”

Immediate responses on Twitter were full of shock and messages of mourning.

“His influence in this dance community from Breakin movies as Ozone to the underground scene, blessed so many,” opined Step By Step Dance.

“Those are such joyful films,” shared Mike McGranaghan, “and he was terrific in them.”

After forming The Lockers with fellow dance innovators Don “Campbellock” Campbell and Basil in 1971, Quinones took his unique dance chops to the big and small screen and performance stages in the decades that followed. He led tour dancers and choreographed for artists including Luther Vandross, Madonna, Lionel Richie and Three Six Mafia.

The father of two was formerly married to Gwendolyn Powell Smith and actress Lela Rochon.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Boogie on Shabba-Doo (RIP)
Dec 30th 2020
Ozone? damn, RIP
Dec 30th 2020
damn, I had no idea until you said Ozone
Dec 30th 2020
Rest in Power
Dec 30th 2020
suckas break like Turbo and Ozone (c) MUCH respect due.
Dec 30th 2020
RIP Ozone
Dec 30th 2020
Our hip hop idols are aging
Dec 30th 2020
its weird because these are the pioneers
Dec 31st 2020
RIP ozone...just saw a recent interview with turbo...damn
Dec 31st 2020
RIP
Dec 31st 2020

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22268 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 02:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Boogie on Shabba-Doo (RIP)"
In response to Reply # 0

I was just thinking about him last week. He had a small part in Xanadu but was easily recognizable.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Mynoriti
Charter member
38828 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 02:39 PM

2. "Ozone? damn, RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

:(

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79777 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 04:34 PM

4. "damn, I had no idea until you said Ozone"
In response to Reply # 2

never knew his real name.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

EAS
Charter member
1704 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 02:43 PM

3. "Rest in Power"
In response to Reply # 0

First Ecstasy now Shabba Doo? These are the ones who got me into the culture of hip hop. Truly saddened. F@$k 2020 fo' real. Too many lost hittin' close to home.
I was just looking at a Breakin' clip the other day reminiscing. I think he has worked on a documentary on West coast poppin' and lockin' that I cannot seem to find.
Prayers to family and friends.

Dstl1
Charter member
56242 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 05:40 PM

5. "suckas break like Turbo and Ozone (c) MUCH respect due. "
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44621 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 06:43 PM

6. "RIP Ozone"
In response to Reply # 0

Mori
Charter member
3529 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 11:25 PM

7. "Our hip hop idols are aging"
In response to Reply # 0

He was one of the first break dancers I learned when I was in the 3rd grade. Seeing these people age and die is evidence that time keeps moving. We need to keep their contributions, memories and energy alive.

RIP.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79777 posts
Thu Dec-31-20 10:34 AM

9. "its weird because these are the pioneers"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Dec-31-20 10:35 AM by legsdiamond

most of us old heads were here for the birth of hip hop and seeing them die of old age is scary af. I know he was in his late 50’s but still..

sports is similar.

When I see the kids of players I grew up watching playing in the pros and some of them are retiring its wild af.

Frank Gore is somehow still playing football pretty sure his grandkids are getting ready for the NFL draft in a few years.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10150 posts
Thu Dec-31-20 10:00 AM

8. "RIP ozone...just saw a recent interview with turbo...damn"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Dec-31-20 10:01 AM by mikediggz

xandra360
Member since Nov 24th 2004
3161 posts
Thu Dec-31-20 05:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~~**~~~~~~~~

Lobby General Discussion topic #13418191 Previous topic | Next topic