Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13418168

Subject: "Alaska Airlines tell emotional support animals to get in cargo" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79585 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 01:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Alaska Airlines tell emotional support animals to get in cargo"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2020/12/29/alaska-airlines-announces-emotional-support-animal-ban/4076988001/

Do Black people have emotional support animals? Do we ever even think about taking them on flights for support?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
how did this shit become a thing?
Dec 30th 2020
def some wps
Dec 30th 2020
I hate seeing dogs in grocery stores, or any store for that matter
Dec 30th 2020
      it's selfish and so fucking entitled.
Dec 30th 2020
      restaurant patios.. cause we all want to eat next to a dog
Dec 30th 2020
           Y'all haven't seem my CW posts about dogs in the office. Best thing abou...
Dec 30th 2020
                LOL!!! What?? This sounds insane...
Dec 30th 2020
                Yep! and I don't work at fucking Purina or in the T-Rex building.
Dec 30th 2020
                I remember that post
Dec 30th 2020
                     One of the dogs doesn't like men. The owner admits this!
Dec 30th 2020
      I always do a long stop and stare.. them slowly shake my head
Dec 30th 2020
It triggers me...
Dec 30th 2020
      I’m sure some people need it..
Dec 30th 2020
           looking at you like "This is the way".
Dec 31st 2020
I'm a dog person, but really don't need them everywhere.
Dec 30th 2020
and get mad when they are told to leave
Dec 31st 2020
RE: Alaska Airlines tell emotional support animals to get in cargo
Dec 30th 2020

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 01:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "how did this shit become a thing?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-30-20 01:40 PM by Reeq

its like it just became accepted behavior and skipped the period of people really asking wtf is this shit.

they had the term 'emotional support animal' ready to go even before emotional support animals became really widespread. nobody even had to ask 'hey what do we call these animals that some people wanna bring on flights with them?'.

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 01:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "def some wps"
In response to Reply # 1

I read a story about a girl flushing her pet down the toilet because they wouldn’t let her on the plane with it. It was a gerbil or chipmunk or some shit that wasn't on the list.

but yeah, I think when people see pets in odd places people just copy that shit. Remember when everyone got toy dogs and carried them around cause Paris Hilton made it look cool?

Saw some Black dude in Brooklyn with a big ass dirty fucking dog trying to carry him while grabbing a gallon of milk at the grocery store. The struggle was real. Dog was like “Dog, Imma dog...put me the fuck down”

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 02:06 PM

3. "I hate seeing dogs in grocery stores, or any store for that matter"
In response to Reply # 2

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13361 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 02:12 PM

4. "it's selfish and so fucking entitled."
In response to Reply # 3

Keep them shits at fucking home; not everybody wants to be next to Kujo in the milk aisle.

I can't stand to see any fucking pet inside an obviously non pet place.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 02:15 PM

6. "restaurant patios.. cause we all want to eat next to a dog"
In response to Reply # 4

the worst tho is people with those long leashes who think its cute to let their dog run uo on you

I kick at them fuckers..

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 03:02 PM

8. "Y'all haven't seem my CW posts about dogs in the office. Best thing abou..."
In response to Reply # 6
Wed Dec-30-20 03:02 PM by SuiteLady

WFH is not dealing with other people's pets. Before COVID, we had 9 dogs in the office (8 different owners - yes one person brought in TWO) on any given day.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 03:54 PM

9. "LOL!!! What?? This sounds insane..."
In response to Reply # 8

I would literally not come in. People assume that because they love their dog, you should love their dog. That's bullshit and I have a dog. I know damn well that some folks ain't effin with him.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 04:01 PM

10. "Yep! and I don't work at fucking Purina or in the T-Rex building."
In response to Reply # 9

Funny thing is Purina had a posting that fit my skills around the same time I applied for this but I was like "Nah... I don't even like dogs. Why would I do that!?"

Now look at what I got. I bet Purina don't even let their employees bring pets to work.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 04:28 PM

11. "I remember that post"
In response to Reply # 8

I had to deliver some samples to a client one time and they had a big ass Cujo looking dog who growled. They were like “he’s old and cool” nah b.

another time a guy came into my old gig and had a German Shepard and let him roam the office. All the white people were like “ahh, how cute” nah b. I got up and walked out the office. Fuck that shit. He looked like he used to work for the police.

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 04:40 PM

13. "One of the dogs doesn't like men. The owner admits this! "
In response to Reply # 11

This dog howls and snaps at my male coworkers.

I work in IT. We cannot just stay in our area to avoid the dogs because of the nature of our jobs. And even if we did stay in our quad we couldn't avoid them. People walk them around the building everywhere they go. The jump on us, follow us, bark at us, etc.

When we complained to HR earlier this year it was phrased like 'we have enough insurance to cover it if you are ever bitten.' Then we were told that if a dog is threatening us and we have support ticket come in that causes us to come in contact with said dog, we can tell our manager (the director of IT) that we don't feel comfortable working the help ticket for those reasons and the ticket becomes his responsibility at that point.

8 people who bring 9 different dogs to work in a place with 77 employees! Crazy!!

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 02:13 PM

5. "I always do a long stop and stare.. them slowly shake my head"
In response to Reply # 3

Whole Foods finally put an end to that shit.

A dog shitting or pissing on a grocery store floor? just nasty.

Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 02:57 PM

7. "It triggers me..."
In response to Reply # 1

cuz, I know some vets with support animals and they REALLY are actually trained to help them with emotional issues. But, Karen walking around Whole Foods with her Shiba Inu in the cart, is NOT that.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 04:29 PM

12. "I’m sure some people need it.. "
In response to Reply # 7

but like you said, Karens and them just ran with it.

Triptych
Charter member
30124 posts
Thu Dec-31-20 12:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
16. "looking at you like "This is the way"."
In response to Reply # 12

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 05:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I'm a dog person, but really don't need them everywhere."
In response to Reply # 0

my dog isn't little. if I'm in public with mine, he's leashed. he's also in dog places, like the pet store or the park.

was out today and saw a dog, that was at least 80lbs, being walked into a store at the outlet mall. people doing too damn much.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Thu Dec-31-20 09:53 AM

17. "and get mad when they are told to leave"
In response to Reply # 14

how dare you not let my 100lb dog in Macy’s?

jimaveli
Charter member
6611 posts
Wed Dec-30-20 06:14 PM

15. "RE: Alaska Airlines tell emotional support animals to get in cargo"
In response to Reply # 0

>https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2020/12/29/alaska-airlines-announces-emotional-support-animal-ban/4076988001/
>

I can understand how a person who has been through some kind of trauma could want/need to have a dog/pet of some kind with them in hella places.

I also understand that some people are assholes and are just doing it to test boundaries and inconvenience other folks just because they think they can or should try. And since I'm kind of a jackass in my own right in a different way, I think I can do a quick interview and tell the difference.

Oh, you were with in military and someone died 5 feet away from you? Aight. Thanks for your service too.

You lost a large percentage of your sight somehow and your dog helps you get around and maintain some of your independence? Cool. Let us know if you need some more help.

Your dog Ralph is soo key-yute and you can't stand to leave him at home cuz he might get mad at you and pee in the house? Getcho ass outta here, Rachel. I don't care if it's your 1st dog after your dog, Roofus, died.

>Do Black people have emotional support animals? Do we ever
>even think about taking them on flights for support?
>

I'm sure some do. But if its not a prescribed thing as a therapy response to some trauma, I generally think folks are being assholes. I could be wrong and I'd be willing to listen.

Personally, I love my family dog. He's big. Lab/pit bull mix. Rescue. About 5 years old. We've had him for a couple years. He's laying right by my desk right now. Sometimes I get moody and he makes me feel better by just showing up and being a good dog. He's glad to see me if I've been gone or even if its been a while since the last time he saw me. He gets excited to go on a walk or just into the backyard. Also, he feels like he has to have a toy with him to go in the backyard. It is part of his process. I don't let him back into the house without the toy. I praise him heavily when he brings the toy in. He runs it in like he's scoring a touchdown.

I talk to him like he's an older black person. So I use the word 'now' at the end of almost all of my sentences for instance.

And still, I'm not taking his ass anywhere 'weird'. So we're talking walks, vet, Petco every now and then, and the occasional car ride. That about it.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13418168 Previous topic | Next topic