Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13415782

Subject: "Krush Groove" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79596 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 09:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Krush Groove"

I watched again last night and a few things I didn’t realize.

never knew that was Andre Harell was in it.

Never knew Russell was actually the show promoter

Run really was wilding out and a star in that movie. Damn Run DMC was so dope. I knew this but just seeing them perform their early material was inspiring. I want to make a Run DMC type EP. Those drums were crazy.

Sheila E was old af and had no business being in that movie. I see why Russ was mad. Holly Rock was garbage. Her little Prince impression was hilarious but that was all Prince... can’t see any other reason she ended up with that role.

I wonder if Kool Moe Dee and LL had beef on set. He definitely stole the movie with his performance. I remember everyone wondering who he was when he said Box. The reaction was hilarious after JMJ was about to pull the strap on him for busting in the room. RIP JMJ.

The ending of the movie was terrible. Russ and Run get beat down, laugh about it and pay the money back and thats that.

Whoever those girls were who sang the Fat Boys hook made it sound so sexy.. lol. They were a fun group.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
here I lay all alone....tossin turnin
Dec 08th 2020
how sway?
Dec 08th 2020
      not interested
Dec 08th 2020
           Lol. That's a good answer to a lot of things tbh
Dec 08th 2020
           Log off fam.
Dec 08th 2020
           the fuck you in here for?? lmao
Dec 08th 2020
                Tender Love duh
Dec 08th 2020
A great terrible film
Dec 08th 2020
The LL scene is one of the all-time great film entrances
Dec 08th 2020
he stole the whole movie with that scene
Dec 08th 2020
DMC is my GOAT...
Dec 08th 2020
Damn
Dec 08th 2020
when the movie came out I had know idea what Russell looked like
Dec 09th 2020
Kurtis Blow had heart transplant surgery
Dec 08th 2020
LOL ...Sheila was in her mid 20s and fine AF in that film.
Dec 09th 2020
Holly Rock was trash
Dec 10th 2020
tha fuck her age have to do with anything?
Dec 09th 2020
please...
Dec 10th 2020
you first.
Dec 10th 2020
      Your both wrong :)
Dec 10th 2020
Dec 10th 2020
           I’m not just speaking on age
Dec 10th 2020
           Man, some folks just wake up mad at the world. Let'em have it.
Dec 10th 2020
           Mostly true, but her age is written into the script
Dec 11th 2020
           stop making excuses for his bullshit
Dec 10th 2020
                she was the only non rapping old ass looking muhhfukka in the movie
Dec 10th 2020
Music industry was very ageist (?) at that time.
Dec 12th 2020
Krush Groove is Oscar caliber next to Tougher Than Leather
Dec 10th 2020
might as well add Disorderlies to that list to complete the trash trifec...
Dec 12th 2020
the shootout scene in TTL...
Dec 12th 2020
Krush Groove is Oscar caliber next to Tougher Than Leather
Dec 10th 2020

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 10:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "here I lay all alone....tossin turnin"
In response to Reply # 0

never seen the film

legsdiamond
79596 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 11:14 AM

2. "how sway? "
In response to Reply # 1

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

CherNic
37156 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 11:56 AM

4. "not interested"
In response to Reply # 2

Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 12:56 PM

6. "Lol. That's a good answer to a lot of things tbh"
In response to Reply # 4

RE: not interested>

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 01:09 PM

7. "Log off fam."
In response to Reply # 4

legsdiamond
79596 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 01:39 PM

8. "the fuck you in here for?? lmao"
In response to Reply # 4

CherNic
37156 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 01:56 PM

10. "Tender Love duh"
In response to Reply # 8

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 11:24 AM

3. "A great terrible film"
In response to Reply # 0

Full Movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ5nNvxQ-t8

From the very opening seconds the Krush Groove theme "Kold Crush" was fucking dope. Daftpubk and/or Breakbot could release it today with a very slight remix and it's be a hit. Here's the full single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HDd1ZT69GY

Then RUN DMC do king of rock!

Then Fat Boys rap King Of Rock while walking around.

Sheild A is way out of her element - but still dope.

Rick Rubin looking like a young Dan Harmon.

Sheila E rapping for Run DMC.

Kurtis Blow doing a weird ass version of If I ruled The World in a leather tuxedo.

Run DMC do Hard Times.

LL does Radio in a blue Kango.

New Edition do My Secret.

Fat Boys rap All You Can Eat in a Furr's cafeteria.

The Beasties are in there doing She's On It.

Then they ALL do Krush Groovin'.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 11:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "The LL scene is one of the all-time great film entrances"
In response to Reply # 0

In those minute of 15 seconds, you could tell he was going to be a star. And "BOX!" is still iconic.

>The reaction was
>hilarious after JMJ was about to pull the strap on him for
>busting in the room. RIP JMJ.

I crack up every time I see that.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

legsdiamond
79596 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 01:40 PM

9. "he stole the whole movie with that scene"
In response to Reply # 5

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 02:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "DMC is my GOAT..."
In response to Reply # 0

nobody’s been that cool since lol

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5187 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 03:03 PM

12. "Damn"
In response to Reply # 0

You didn't recognize Russell ?

---------------------------
Signature

legsdiamond
79596 posts
Wed Dec-09-20 08:16 AM

14. "when the movie came out I had know idea what Russell looked like"
In response to Reply # 12

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5187 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 03:08 PM

13. "Kurtis Blow had heart transplant surgery"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't know he had a heart attack back in 2016.

https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.59408/title.hip-hop-forefather-kurtis-blow-undergoes-massive-heart-transplant-surgery

HIP HOP FOREFATHER KURTIS BLOW UNDERGOES MASSIVE HEART TRANSPLANT SURGERY

Published on: Dec 7, 2020, 12:38 PM
by Kyle Eustice

EXCLUSIVE – Kurtis Blow suffered a major heart attack outside of his Los Angeles home in 2016 and has been in and out of the hospital ever since. But with his most recent surgery, the Hip Hop pioneer and ordained minister could finally have a more permanent solution to his cardiac ailments.

On Sunday (December 6), Blow underwent a heart transplant surgery in Los Angeles and according to his wife of four decades Shirley Walker, the procedure was a success. The Washington Informer obtained a statement from Walker on Monday (December 7) which stated, “We give all glory to God for the perfect heart and transplant. He is out of surgery. Keep the prayers and praises up. God does all things well.”

In another statement Van Silk sent to HipHopDX, Walker was extremely positive, saying, “Kurtis is doing great. The tubes have been removed and he’s breathing on his own. AMAZING GRACE. He is very happy. They have him on high dose of pain meds so sometimes he’s not coherent. Overall, everything is as expected other than he looks better than he apparently should. Everyone that has come commented on how well he looks.”

Blow, whose 1980 single “The Breaks” is a bona fide Hip Hop classic, nearly met his maker in March when his spleen ruptured. In an Instagram post, he revealed he owed his wife a debt of gratitude for saving his life.

“The Covid 19 virus is crazy but last week I had another emergency surgery,” he explained in the post. “My spleen was bleeding into my stomach. I went to the ER just in time because my wife made me go. I wanted to go in the morning. The surgeon said I was lucky to make it in time. They took out my spleen and saved my life. My spleen had splattered and I was bleeding internally.”

KURTIS BLOW'S WIFE REVEALS HE NEEDS EMERGENCY OPEN HEART SURGERY
MAY 7, 2019

The “Christmas Rappin'” legend faced another harrowing situation in May 2019 when his aortic artery dissected, requiring emergency open heart surgery. He’d just underwent a surgery to fix it the month before but evidently had complications.

“I am in the hospital at UCLA Medical,” he explained prior to the dissection. “I am preparing for an aortic artery repair procedure tomorrow morning. The procedure will stabilize the artery from further damage caused by the hematoma I contacted from my recent travels to China.”

In the wake of Blow’s medical emergencies, the 61-year-old MC joked he was a “cat with nine lives” and it’s beginning to look like that really is the case. HipHopDX sends our support to Blow and his loved ones.

---------------------------
Signature

Airbreed
Charter member
29434 posts
Wed Dec-09-20 08:44 AM

15. "LOL ...Sheila was in her mid 20s and fine AF in that film."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-09-20 09:00 AM by Airbreed

>Sheila E was old af and had no business being in that movie. I
>see why Russ was mad.

get outta here with alladat. lol

>Holly Rock was garbage. Her little
>Prince impression was hilarious but that was all Prince...
>can’t see any other reason she ended up with that role.

As for her getting the role, that was all Warner Bros. They were distributing the film. And they wanted a love interest in the story. And since Shelia was recording for WB at the time, it made sense to them to bring her in.

And Holly Rock was a song she did off the rip for KG.

She did quit at some point during filming because all the rappers in the film had a problem with her being in it and she felt a way about it.

She talked about it with Sway a few years ago.

Link: https://youtu.be/qXLoAlG8h0k?t=352

legsdiamond
79596 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 08:47 AM

18. "Holly Rock was trash"
In response to Reply # 15

and she was Beyonce 20’s in that film

which means in real years she was mid 30’s

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Wed Dec-09-20 11:18 AM

16. "tha fuck her age have to do with anything?"
In response to Reply # 0

you cant even just legitimately criticize something without being a sexist dickhead.

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

legsdiamond
79596 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 08:45 AM

17. "please... "
In response to Reply # 16

shut the fuck up

thank you

Damali
35865 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 12:30 PM

19. "you first."
In response to Reply # 17

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 01:14 PM

20. "Your both wrong :)"
In response to Reply # 19

She was older than the others.

Krush Groove was released in 1985 - so let's just say it was filming on 1/1/1985.

Sheila E was 28. She's the oldest lead musician in the film.

28 is mad young now - but if you saw the film when you were 15 it seems old.

Other ages:
Mr. Magic was 29.
Rush was 28.
Kurtis Blow was 26.
Rick was 22.
DMC and MCA and Run were 21.
Mike D and JMJ were 20.
Buffy was 18.
Prince Markee Dee was 17.
LL would have been 17.
Bobby Brown was 16.

But Legs is mad sexist

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Airbreed
Charter member
29434 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 02:38 PM

21. "."
In response to Reply # 20
Thu Dec-10-20 02:48 PM by Airbreed

legsdiamond
79596 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 03:20 PM

22. "I’m not just speaking on age"

i mean.. she did look old af next to most of them but her style and sound was just...

old and dated

this was a new energy type film with hip hop starting to get some shine and she was out of place

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 04:40 PM

23. "Man, some folks just wake up mad at the world. Let'em have it."
In response to Reply # 22

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

The Case for Christ Lecture: https://youtu.be/67uj2qvQi_k

Good News: https://www.goodnewsnetwork

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14016 posts
Fri Dec-11-20 11:39 PM

27. "Mostly true, but her age is written into the script"
In response to Reply # 22

At least this was my interpretation of her telling Run he was like a little brother at the club. I thought that was an acknowledgement of the age difference.

I agree that her sound was mad out-of-place, but I also thought that made sense, considering she was a singer who was against rap and only picked it up because she was urged to in the film. Rap was an element she added to what she was already doing. That's usually how it looks when an older person tries to do what the kids are doing lol.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Damali
35865 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 08:27 PM

24. "stop making excuses for his bullshit"

her age is irrelevant and him singling her out to comment on that she too old to be in the film is sexist. period

he didn't talk about anyone's age but hers. so all that shit you typing about other people's ages has nothing to do with what he wrote

d

legsdiamond
79596 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 08:54 PM

25. "she was the only non rapping old ass looking muhhfukka in the movie"
In response to Reply # 24

stay mad

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Sat Dec-12-20 07:43 AM

29. "Music industry was very ageist (?) at that time."
In response to Reply # 16

28 was quite old back then. Wasn't just with women. I remember Big Daddy Kane being "old AF" when 'Daddy's Home' came out in 94 when he was 26.

Only in the last 10-15 years that age has become less of a factor in hip hop. I wonder if it's because of the mature audience (people in their 30s, 40s and 50s that listen to hip hop) that didn't really exist in the 80s and 90s.

rdhull
Charter member
33135 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 11:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
" Krush Groove is Oscar caliber next to Tougher Than Leather"

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Sat Dec-12-20 02:13 AM

28. "might as well add Disorderlies to that list to complete the trash trifec..."
In response to Reply # 0

Krush Groove is legendary bcz we thirsted for anything hip hop at that moment in time. But lets keep it a buck, all those movies were garbage.

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Dstl1
Charter member
56230 posts
Sat Dec-12-20 12:41 PM

30. "the shootout scene in TTL..."
In response to Reply # 0

might be one of the worst recordings of any kind, ever.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

rdhull
Charter member
33135 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 11:26 PM

26. " Krush Groove is Oscar caliber next to Tougher Than Leather"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #13415782 Previous topic | Next topic