Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13415709

Subject: "Breakdancing gets Olympic status to debut at Paris in 2024 (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 03:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Breakdancing gets Olympic status to debut at Paris in 2024 (swipe)"

I love the Olympics but how did I not know that this was under consideration?

I'm not sure if I like the idea though.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2020/12/07/breakdancing-gets-olympic-status-to-debut-at-paris-in-2024/

GENEVA — Breakdancing became an official Olympic sport on Monday.

The International Olympic Committee’s pursuit of urban events to lure a younger audience saw street dance battles officially added to the medal events program at the 2024 Paris Games.

Also confirmed for Paris by the IOC executive board were skateboarding, sport climbing, and surfing.

Those three sports will make their Olympic debuts at the Tokyo Games which were postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic by one year to open on July 23, 2021.

Alongside the additions, the IOC made subtractions: The slate of 329 medal events in Paris is 10 fewer than in Tokyo, and the athlete quota in 2024 of 10,500 is around 600 less than next year.

Two sports with troubled governing bodies — boxing and weightlifting — saw the biggest cuts to the number of athletes they can have in Paris.

Weightlifting should have 120 athletes in Paris, which is less than half of its total at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games. The sport could be dropped entirely due to its historic doping problems and IOC concerns over the pace and depth of reform at the International Weightlifting Federation.

The IOC stressed its future priorities for Paris, and beyond to the 2028 Los Angeles Games, by claiming it will hit a long-term target of equal participation by men and women athletes, and more urbanized events.

With Paris organizers needing time to prepare their project, the IOC kept to its pre-pandemic schedule to confirm the 2024 sports lineup this month even before some are tested in Tokyo.

Breakdancing will be called breaking at the Olympics, as it was in the 1970s by hip-hop pioneers in the United States.

It was proposed by Paris organizers almost two years ago after positive trials at the 2018 Youth Olympics in Buenos Aires. Breaking passed further stages of approval in 2019 from separate decisions by the IOC board and full membership.

In Paris, breaking has been given a prestige downtown venue, joining sport climbing and 3-on-3 basketball at Place de le Concorde.

Surfing will be held more than 15,000 kilometers (9,000 miles) away in the Pacific Ocean off the beaches of Tahiti, as the IOC already agreed in March.

Among the 28 established Summer Games sports, a total of 41 additional events were proposed to Monday’s meeting.

All increases were rejected, including ocean rowing and parkour, and changes were allowed only at the expense of existing events being dropped. Two extreme canoe slalom events will replace canoe sprint events, and the men’s 50-kilometer race walk will be replaced by a mixed gender team event.

The IOC said “limiting the overall number of events is a key element in curbing the growth of the Olympic program as well as additional costs.”

By GRAHAM DUNBAR AP Sports Writer

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i mean, this FEELS weird, i agree...
Dec 07th 2020
It definitely feels weird...
Dec 07th 2020
      right, the scoring and having the audience understand...
Dec 07th 2020
pretty cool
Dec 07th 2020
I honestly wouldn't have thought it was popular enough for this
Dec 07th 2020
has nothing to do w/ popularity. is fencing popular?
Dec 07th 2020
Common is going to try to go for that EGGOT
Dec 07th 2020
Get ready for white parents to send their kids to intensive bboy camps
Dec 07th 2020
A bunch of underfed 13 year olds with vascular forearms
Dec 07th 2020
      damn, y'all cynical as fuck. none of that is gonna happen.
Dec 07th 2020
           Yes, those were totally predictions, and not jokes.
Dec 07th 2020
           The Olympics co-opts everything, breaking won't be special
Dec 07th 2020
What's it gonna be, 3 on 3?
Dec 07th 2020
damn, i didn't even think of the songs.
Dec 07th 2020
I can't wait to see the rules for judging it
Dec 07th 2020
oohhh he wobbled on his air flare, that'll cost 1/10th of a point...
Dec 07th 2020
My only gripe is I would like it to follow the every 4 years, 2025, 2029...
Dec 07th 2020

PROMO
Charter member
30977 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 04:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "i mean, this FEELS weird, i agree..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-07-20 04:13 PM by PROMO

but by definition, breaking has BEEN a sport.

now, I'm not sure if it needs to be an OLYMPIC sport because the breaking community does and has been doing an incredible job of "internationalizing" breaking and putting on events where competitors from around the globe go at it.

that said, i personally know quite a few world-class bboys and girls and they really are some of the most amazing athletes out there.

but i mean, good for them. i haven't followed closely but i assume this is something the community pushed for and i'm sure most folks are happy to be able to get on that stage.

being familiar w/ the bboys and girls from around the globe, this has a chance to be the most exciting event if given the shine. the biggest hang up will be getting people to understand it, because it can be pretty subjective as far as judging goes. i'm most interested to see how this can be scored in a way that the general public will understand.

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 05:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "It definitely feels weird..."
In response to Reply # 1

>but by definition, breaking has BEEN a sport.

True. Hip-hop has always had a competitive & adversarial angle to it.

>that said, i personally know quite a few world-class bboys and
>girls and they really are some of the most amazing athletes
>out there.

Oh definitely. My ambivalence is no shot at any of b-boys or b-girls out there. A spot near here has a hip-hop-centric night on Sundays. Whenever I'm off work on a Monday, I'm right there and the breakers are one of the best parts of the evening.

I'm curious as to how they'll score it and who is considered qualified enough to be a judge. Old, original school breakers? Or will it be the cats who are at the top today? Will there be a technical requirement?

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. But I also don't want breakdancing to simply be known as an Olympic sport.

PROMO
Charter member
30977 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 05:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "right, the scoring and having the audience understand..."
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Dec-07-20 05:35 PM by PROMO

why one move was more technical or whatever is where i feel it could go left...as well as what you mentioned regarding who will be judging.

but...i'm excited to see breaking on that stage and see some really dope athletes get their shine.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 04:40 PM

2. "pretty cool"
In response to Reply # 0

when i first heard about it i went through a range of feelings. in the end its cool and i will probably watch at least the first year. i could see them doing a bad job of implementing it and it being corny. if they do it right? might become one of my favs.

i was wondering what happened to breaking. i figured there are still some small pockets keeping it alive but i figured as a whole it had been absorbed into dancing in general.

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 04:43 PM

3. "I honestly wouldn't have thought it was popular enough for this"
In response to Reply # 0

I kind of assumed it was a really niche thing at this point.

Along with skateboarding and surfing, its weird to include "sports" that have their own sub culture in the Olympics. They are all pretty counter culture, but maybe not as much as they used to be. Good for the participants getting money though.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

PROMO
Charter member
30977 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 05:40 PM

9. "has nothing to do w/ popularity. is fencing popular?"
In response to Reply # 3

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 05:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Common is going to try to go for that EGGOT"
In response to Reply # 0

Emmy, Grammy, Gold Medal, Oscar, Tony

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5614 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 05:18 PM

6. "Get ready for white parents to send their kids to intensive bboy camps"
In response to Reply # 0

i appreciate breaking as an art and as a counter culture. Those are two things that the Olympics does not make better. I'm not excited to see the homogeneous 'Olympic style breaking' that is bound to come from this move.

I'm happy that maybe more people will get some shine and maybe more people will be able to make a living, but that money and shine has a price.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44848 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 05:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "A bunch of underfed 13 year olds with vascular forearms "
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Dec-07-20 05:36 PM by Cold Truth

"coaches" that look like Mitt Romney

An entire team of Coopers, Peytons,and Brodies, with a token Filipino named Arnel.

Watching interviews with the white, female Lavar Ball-styled mothers from Irvine with shit else to do but find some way to get attention- and possibly paid- off their Ritalin addicted kids.

This could be a very entertaining dumpster fire. In fact, someone needs to write a mockumentary about this, ala Best In Show.

That said, I'll withhold my judgment until I see this shit.

PROMO
Charter member
30977 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 05:49 PM

10. "damn, y'all cynical as fuck. none of that is gonna happen."
In response to Reply # 8

and as far as what GOMEZ said, being in the Olympics isn't going to co-opt breaking.

the Olympics happens every 4 years for 2 weeks and who knows how much (more likely probably LITTLE) exposure the breaking events will get.

that's not gonna kill the subculture.

relax.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44848 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 06:30 PM

11. "Yes, those were totally predictions, and not jokes."
In response to Reply # 10
Mon Dec-07-20 06:36 PM by Cold Truth

I was definitely saying those things were really going to happen, and they weren't at all so over the top that they were obvious jokes.

The notion of a bunch of skinny, malnourished white kids named Tanner with Popeye forearms was definitely me saying the sky is falling.

I definitely didn't recommend someone make a mockumentary under that premise, in the vein of Best of Show.

And, after that, I absolutely didn't say that I'd withhold my judgment until I actually saw it.

None of those things happened, and I'm the cynical one in this discussion.

Real astute analysis you did there.

GOMEZ
5614 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 07:13 PM

15. "The Olympics co-opts everything, breaking won't be special"
In response to Reply # 10

-Hunter S. Thompson

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 06:37 PM

12. "What's it gonna be, 3 on 3?"
In response to Reply # 0

What songs they gonna play?

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

PROMO
Charter member
30977 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 07:16 PM

16. "damn, i didn't even think of the songs."
In response to Reply # 12

that's actually a really interesting thing you bring up.

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 06:51 PM

13. "I can't wait to see the rules for judging it"
In response to Reply # 0

I guess the numebr and loudness of "Oooohh"s isn't going to cut it.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

GOMEZ
5614 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 07:03 PM

14. "oohhh he wobbled on his air flare, that'll cost 1/10th of a point..."
In response to Reply # 13

-Hunter S. Thompson

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 08:25 PM

17. "My only gripe is I would like it to follow the every 4 years, 2025, 2029..."
In response to Reply # 0

If the Olympics comes back in 2021, I think own it and continue.

Covid changed the world.

If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

Lobby General Discussion topic #13415709 Previous topic | Next topic