Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13415697

Subject: "the death of Tony Hsieh" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 03:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"the death of Tony Hsieh"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-death-of-zappos-tony-hsieh-a-spiral-of-alcohol-drugs-and-extreme-behavior-11607264719

This is crazy. Dude went to the extreme and tried not to urinate or breath oxygen to push his body to the limits. If this is what happens when you become CEO and make billions count me out.

These mountain states are driving people crazy.

———

About two weeks before Zappos.com Inc. co-founder Tony Hsieh died from injuries in a November house fire, one of his closest friends in Las Vegas got a phone call.

“Tony is in trouble,” the caller told Philip Plastina, the founder of an electronic dance music group that frequently performed at Mr. Hsieh’s parties and live events over the past decade.

Because of the pandemic, Mr. Plastina hadn’t seen Mr. Hsieh since the lauded tech executive relocated from Las Vegas to Park City, Utah, earlier this year. The caller asked Mr. Plastina to go to Park City right away in hopes he could help pull Mr. Hsieh out of what the caller described as escapist tendencies, including increasing drug and alcohol abuse.

Mr. Plastina said he texted two phone numbers he had for Mr. Hsieh and sent several emails but received no response. Mr. Plastina never reached his friend.

Mr. Hsieh, 46 years old, died on Nov. 27, nine days after firefighters were called to a home in New London, Conn., where he was staying. The Connecticut medical examiner has ruled the death an accident. The fire department is investigating the fire’s cause.

Many questions remain about the specific circumstances of his death. Close friends now say it was the culmination of a more than six-month downward spiral. The entrepreneur brought online shoe-shopping to the masses as a co-founder of Zappos and wrote a bestselling book on company culture, “Delivering Happiness.” This year, he struggled, the friends say.

In August, he retired as chief executive of Zappos, which he had run for more than a decade after selling it to Amazon.com Inc. for more than $1 billion.

Mr. Hsieh spoke often about partying as a central feature of his work and life, and his drinking increased after he retired and grappled with the isolation enforced by the pandemic, those close to him said. He began experimenting with drugs, such as mushrooms and ecstasy, they said.

That was only one component of increasingly extreme behavior. A longstanding fascination with fire intensified, friends said. A real-estate agent who sold him a mansion in Park City and visited the house shortly afterward estimated Mr. Hsieh had 1,000 candles there.

Mr. Hsieh became fixated on trying to figure out what his body could live without, according to one friend. He starved himself of food, whittling away to under 100 pounds; he tried not to urinate; and he deprived himself of oxygen, turning toward nitrous oxide, which can induce hypoxia, this person said.

Mr. Hsieh was increasingly away from his longtime friends and family in San Francisco’s Bay Area and Las Vegas, and was surrounded by a new group that indulged his behavior, close friends said. According to them, the new group, including some former Zappos employees who had moved to Park City from Las Vegas, were taking advantage of Mr. Hsieh, living in his homes and collecting salaries for little work.

“Things were falling apart for him,” said Mr. Plastina.

There were signs Mr. Hsieh knew he was in trouble. On the day before the fire, he was making plans to check into a rehabilitation clinic in Hawaii. He was in New London staying with a longtime girlfriend and former Zappos executive, Rachael Brown, along with one of his brothers, Andy Hsieh, and others, said people close to him.

Mr. Hsieh at one point said he was going to a shed that was attached to the home, and asked the people in the house to check on him every five minutes, by the people’s account. They said Tony used a heater in the shed to lower the oxygen level.

It isn’t clear what started the fire. When the others at the house tried to get to him, they couldn’t. One emergency worker was heard telling others he was barricaded inside. Mr. Hsieh died from complications of smoke inhalation, the coroner said.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I saw a few people in VC/tech tweeting about his passing
Dec 07th 2020
you should check out How I Built This podcast host by Guy Raz
Dec 07th 2020
Check out this article
Dec 07th 2020
Read this article about the WeWork founder
Dec 07th 2020
you can't have a normal life with a billion dollars
Dec 07th 2020
this.
Dec 07th 2020
Read this story about him from Forbes the other day
Dec 07th 2020
geez
Dec 07th 2020
Really sad how his life spiraled...
Dec 08th 2020
If I learned anything
Dec 09th 2020

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 03:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I saw a few people in VC/tech tweeting about his passing"
In response to Reply # 0

I had never heard of him and now these stories are coming out. I definitely want to dig into the story when I get a moment b/c he seemed like a great boss/mentor

lsymone
Member since Nov 03rd 2007
7401 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 03:25 PM

2. "you should check out How I Built This podcast host by Guy Raz"
In response to Reply # 1

he interviewed him 2017 about how he got started in the e-commerce industry. Tony described himself as a weird introvert that's obsessed with customer service vs giving a damn a product.

folks like him are borderline mental and dont live long.

take a message

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 03:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Check out this article"
In response to Reply # 1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/angelauyeung/2020/12/04/tony-hsiehs-american-tragedy-the-self-destructive-last-months-of-the-zappos-visionary/?sh=59d077444f22

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 03:37 PM

3. "Read this article about the WeWork founder"
In response to Reply # 0

And how screwed up Venture Capitalism is in general.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/11/30/how-venture-capitalists-are-deforming-capitalism

These people are crazy.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 03:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "you can't have a normal life with a billion dollars"
In response to Reply # 0

all of those people end up completely disconnected from reality

most of them focus their energy on trying to make even more money

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 04:48 PM

6. "this."
In response to Reply # 4

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 05:02 PM

7. "Read this story about him from Forbes the other day"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.forbes.com/sites/angelauyeung/2020/12/04/tony-hsiehs-american-tragedy-the-self-destructive-last-months-of-the-zappos-visionary/?sh=7b18d8b34f22

Really didn't know anything about him or that he passed. Interesting and tragic.

I also found it hilarious that Zappos was first called "ShoeSite".

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 08:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "geez"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm sorry to read this. Was totally shocked to read about his passing and just assumed it was an unfortunate home accident. Had no idea about his extracurriculars.

people who "have it all" and still fall apart...it's tragic and fascinating at the same time.

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

Cornbread
Member since Jul 21st 2006
1150 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 12:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Really sad how his life spiraled..."
In response to Reply # 0

I met him a few times. Was an absolutely brilliant entrepreneur and really cared about his employees and his customers. The tech and VC worlds attract outlier type personalities and he definitely fit the stereotype. I am sad that his life ended the way it did.

The work he did in revitalizing the area around the old strip in Vegas was inspired and had long-term potential. A brilliant mind but ultimately unhappy. Money most definitely doesn't buy happiness.

*America's Favorite*

fif
Member since Feb 23rd 2004
2000 posts
Wed Dec-09-20 06:38 PM

10. "If I learned anything"
In response to Reply # 0

It's don't nod off with your motherfuckin cigarette burning

https://youtu.be/cS3xfMAUFMc

downward spiral.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13415697 Previous topic | Next topic