Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13415650

Subject: "ADOS...are we being left behind?" Previous topic | Next topic
double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 11:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"ADOS...are we being left behind?"

I'm making this face: http://gph.is/2CeIpwO
while I ask this.

This is a question about US population and so the context is US-centric.

keep these things in mind.

1. Pan Africanism is a complex identity. I at once view Africans, Carribeans, Afro-Latinos, and African Americans (re: "Black") in the US as Black and black. Identity is complex and its not as simple as US vs THEM and it varies a lot at the individual level.

2. The suggestion here is not retribution or corrective action in the form of barring or using socially based stigma because I offer no suggestion, just questions on the topic and if I'm being stupid about a thing I've noticed.

3. I'm ignorant to the facts and I'm really just using my own experience here, this is part sanity check, part wondering.

Aight?

Whew.

Is it just me (crowd shouting: Maybe!), but lately and by lately I mean...the last 5 to 10 years, whenever I see or hear of a successful Black (capitalization intentional) person in business or entertainment or other areas, I'm surprised but also totally not surprised when I realize that the person in question is African or the child of African immigrants (crowd shouting: Read. A. Book.)

I'm proud of us (and by us I mean all people presenting as Black), but a part of me has begun to wonder why African Americans seem to be not as represented. This kind of takes me down a rabbit hole of thought where my conclusion lands on systemic racism at the level of early education, freedom of expression in the realm of self-determination, and the creation of self-image. This is to say that I think all black people in the US experience the same dirty tricks of racism but Africans may have a different set of tools that produce different outcomes. (crowd: šŸ˜’)

I should reiterate that my perspective is not that seats from the table are being taken, instead, I'm asking why it seems to me that we aren't at the table with them in matching numbers?

I'm ignorant so maybe I'm noticing something that's not there, maybe I'm wrong as fuck. I will accept that.

Maybe this is me being a white man about things and thinking equality is the same as oppression if all you've had is privilege - meaning, I'm noticing a big nothing and I'm only focusing on table scraps and not the big picture

I hate that this is even a question that has come to mind for me.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
not related but related... my father in law talked about the influx of w...
Dec 07th 2020
EVERYONE on TV is from Australia or UK, its weird
Dec 07th 2020
i was on tiktok this past weekend and a young woman who works
Dec 07th 2020
      i'd like to see that....
Dec 07th 2020
Yes.
Dec 07th 2020
its by design
Dec 07th 2020
expound.
Dec 07th 2020
To drown out any claim ADOS have to reparations and America itself.
Dec 14th 2020
It's tough.
Dec 07th 2020
If nothing else, Carnell makes a cogent arugument
Dec 13th 2020
the answer is it depends on what metric you're using
Dec 07th 2020
completely agree
Dec 07th 2020
African descendants of trafficked humans in the U.S.
Dec 07th 2020
to clarify...
Dec 07th 2020
      The first two analogies
Dec 07th 2020
There's so much to this
Dec 07th 2020
Excellent points
Dec 07th 2020
this
Dec 08th 2020
      my wife spent a lot of time in Africa
Dec 08th 2020
           Bro
Dec 08th 2020
it's funny watching y'all fall for these loser scams
Dec 07th 2020
lemme halt this right quick
Dec 07th 2020
      one comment
Dec 07th 2020
Aside from acting, no
Dec 07th 2020
exccept
Dec 07th 2020
is "favorable treatment" really the right word though in this case?
Dec 07th 2020
this
Dec 07th 2020
They are using different tools, similar
Dec 07th 2020
you got some good broth here.
Dec 07th 2020
I grew up around Italians so it was common to see old ass Italians
Dec 07th 2020
RE: ADOS...are we being left behind?
Dec 07th 2020
My personal, non academic way of thinking about it is...
Dec 07th 2020
African Brain Drain
Dec 07th 2020
All of this
Dec 07th 2020
This is pure cultured truthā€™ism
Dec 07th 2020
Thank you
Dec 08th 2020
This is true lets not forget the vetting process
Dec 08th 2020
amen
Dec 13th 2020
We were left behind long ago....
Dec 08th 2020
IMO: not the best examples you have here
Dec 08th 2020
Without getting too much into the substance of what you are saying, I fi...
Dec 08th 2020
Anti-Blackness has always been a credential within itself
Dec 08th 2020
Don't forget Joy Reid.
Dec 14th 2020
the answer is simple to me: it appears so. and it is by design.
Dec 11th 2020
None of these colonizer countries like their native population of
Dec 13th 2020
You are not native
Dec 13th 2020
Whatever dude
Dec 13th 2020
      Because that is what smart people do. They go where they can thrive
Dec 14th 2020
           Not to go all love it or leave it, but specifically where would you go?
Dec 14th 2020
           and why isnā€™t he already there?
Dec 14th 2020
           Because smart make the best move
Dec 14th 2020
                no shade i just think this idea that moving is the best option
Dec 15th 2020
                     It always remind me of Nas in Belly talking about he was moving to Afric...
Dec 15th 2020
           I've been researching but it will be an African country
Dec 14th 2020
           Where do you live? nm
Dec 14th 2020
                Lol what does that even mean or matter
Dec 14th 2020
                     Iā€™m asking so I can decide how to proceed with the conversation
Dec 14th 2020
                          I've lived in Philly
Dec 14th 2020
                               Nice choices
Dec 14th 2020
                                    I most definitely will do
Dec 14th 2020
                                         It was several things
Dec 15th 2020
*thumbs up*
Dec 15th 2020

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79574 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "not related but related... my father in law talked about the influx of w..."
In response to Reply # 0

foreigners on TV and if there is something to it or just a coincidence.

Always weird when I hear this famous person or that new news anchor is actually Canadian, Australian, English, etc.

Now as far as Africans are concerned. They definitely donā€™t suffer from the same levels of American racism as ADOS and I think that helps when it comes to pushing the envelope or hustling for themselves vs getting a regular ass job.

but Iā€™m not sure if its just small sample size or not.

I remember having a convo with an Ethiopian lady in Philly. She was still in college and i asked her what her dreams were and she said her parents told her ā€œnever dream about your futureā€

Well damn.. but it makes sense in some ways. I think we (Black Americans) and Americans in general, spend a lot of time dreaming and wishing for some fairy tale lifestyle. Actually doing the grunt work to make it happen? Now thats much harder and a lot of people arenā€™t built for that type of grind.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 12:31 PM

5. "EVERYONE on TV is from Australia or UK, its weird "
In response to Reply # 1
Mon Dec-07-20 12:33 PM by double negative

i mean, outside of black people and speaking on general population, it seems like we're being out-American-ed by other people

like, remember how fucked up some people were when they learned Jason Stackhouse from True Blood was actually from Australia?

I've been binging The Good Fight and I can't get over the fact Lucca and Maia are Scottish and English as fuck

your last point hit like a stack of bricks.

that's where I'm at with it as well. America is still the land of opportunity - now of course you have to be blessed with a few advantages over people, but if you try, you can make some things happen.

lsymone
Member since Nov 03rd 2007
7401 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 03:09 PM

15. "i was on tiktok this past weekend and a young woman who works"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon Dec-07-20 03:11 PM by lsymone

for doordash made a delivery in a predominately wealthy neighborhood whom she assumed to be white and privileged. she knocks on the door and the door opens to a tall black man smiling, he yells over his shoulder in Ghanaian. she sees his kids rush over to get the food. he reaches in his pocket, a wad of cash to give her a tip. she ask him, what does he do for a living, he said he's a chief engineer and then she ask him does he interact w/ the white neighbors. he said: my neighbors are my sister, my brothers and cousins and he closes the door.

she goes on tiktok while driving away and showing the neighborhood. saying "not one krakka lives in this hood, all africans. i want my ppl to do better."

i read the comments on her video-lets say it was not nice.

take a message

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 04:04 PM

19. "i'd like to see that...."
In response to Reply # 15

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 11:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Yes. "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-07-20 12:10 PM by CIPHA

Every group in this country either stands on our necks or stands on our shoulders. The ones that stand on our shoulders never reach back to help us.

Let me guess, I can have "good day" now, right?

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 12:05 PM

3. "its by design"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 12:23 PM

4. "expound. "
In response to Reply # 3

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 05:30 PM

53. "To drown out any claim ADOS have to reparations and America itself. "
In response to Reply # 3

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 12:35 PM

6. "It's tough. "
In response to Reply # 0

I don't believe there is a lot of good faith in the current ADOS movement as lead by Yvette Carnell. I think it too neatly aligns with right-wing anti-immigration efforts.

That being said, there are about 40M black Americans. There are about 200M Nigerians. You could fill every African-American college seat with a Nigerian with near perfect grades and test scores. So yeah, I think you have to go with African-Americans first. That being said, (1) I am more than happy for the Nigerians to take white seats and (2) I also consider the Children of those Nigerians who are born here full-blooded African-Americans.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Sun Dec-13-20 12:58 PM

41. "If nothing else, Carnell makes a cogent arugument"
In response to Reply # 6

about the importance of deep culture and lineage. The children of African immigrants are in no way "full blooded African Americans." Neither are the children of Caribbean immigrants. Smdh.

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 12:45 PM

7. "the answer is it depends on what metric you're using"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-07-20 12:45 PM by Damali

this country has always extended a certain amount of unearned privilege to people who aren't from here...that dynamic is actually quite common in most places, if you ask expats...the 'other' is always gonna be seen as more interesting/manageable than the oppressed native

with that said, i think Black visibility and inclusion helps all of us, even if the diasporic (is that a word?) family has an advantage...they are still bringing a perspective into that space that wasn't already represented..there's something very powerful about that regardless

i also see alot of "ADOS" getting seats, as well...especially in the spaces i occupy and interact with

ultimately, i don't believe this is what any of us should be focused on or overly concerned about...especially since what is most essential to me is how progressive any of these newly seated folks are... whether someone is African, Jamaican or ADOS...if they aren't injecting /demanding/modeling inclusion and antiracism into these new spaces, they aren't helping anyway (that was very simplistic, i know, but i think y'all know what i'm getting at)

anyway, that's my two cents. and i think the question itself is very valid and worth discussing, but just not to obsess over

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 02:16 PM

11. "completely agree "
In response to Reply # 7

>this country has always extended a certain amount of unearned
>privilege to people who aren't from here...that dynamic is
>actually quite common in most places, if you ask expats...the
>'other' is always gonna be seen as more interesting/manageable
>than the oppressed native
>
>with that said, i think Black visibility and inclusion helps
>all of us, even if the diasporic (is that a word?) family has
>an advantage...they are still bringing a perspective into that
>space that wasn't already represented..there's something very
>powerful about that regardless
>

This part, "bringing a perspective into that space that wasn't already represented..." is what I'm talking about. Its incredibly important and it's why I appreciate the effort.

>i also see alot of "ADOS" getting seats, as well...especially
>in the spaces i occupy and interact with
>
>ultimately, i don't believe this is what any of us should be
>focused on or overly concerned about...especially since what
>is most essential to me is how progressive any of these newly
>seated folks are... whether someone is African, Jamaican or
>ADOS...if they aren't injecting /demanding/modeling inclusion
>and antiracism into these new spaces, they aren't helping
>anyway (that was very simplistic, i know, but i think y'all
>know what i'm getting at)
>
>anyway, that's my two cents. and i think the question itself
>is very valid and worth discussing, but just not to obsess
>over
>

I think for me I was thinking about a moment I've been having with celebrating black excellence. My "congrats!" is internally followed up with "...and where are the others?"

which I guess kind of puts my thinking at a crossroads...is black progress in the area of obtaining power and growing black middle and upper class enough? OR is progress only truly meaningful if retribution changes everything for everyone - specifically the view of impoverished black bodies and reality and the open devaluation of all black lives/reality but specifically poor black reality?

Is the lever of control at the top or the bottom?

Is it important to be sure the tide rises to raise all ships?

>d
>

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 12:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "African descendants of trafficked humans in the U.S."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-07-20 12:55 PM by Musa

have been neutralized and identified as the permanent underclass and exploited population.

Can't be falling behind something when you were never included. See meme of little brother with the unplugged video game controller.

We are literally walking Pan Africans and I bet many of us have cousins 4 to 5 generations removed in the Caribbean and central America.

This whole native "black" "movement" is some Stockholm syndrome my oppressor is the best nonsense.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 02:42 PM

12. "to clarify..."
In response to Reply # 8

are you saying the native black (never heard that term) movement essentially a nonstarter because it's using the tools of the oppressor to define reality?

is this like, if I called someone "a piece of shit" day in and out and the person after years of this responds "No no, I'm a different type of shit. you have it wrong."? the entire premise is completely upsidedown because the person is a person and not a piece of excrement.

or

are you saying there is an unnecessary distinction between and US and THEM because the concept of black and other is already flawed to begin with?

Musa
15789 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 05:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "The first two analogies"
In response to Reply # 12

mainly.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 01:00 PM

9. "There's so much to this"
In response to Reply # 0

Can't do it full justice right now but I see a couple factors.

1. You've gotta be pretty well-educated and self-motivated to be allowed to immigrate from an African country. Comparing the average "ADOS" to the average African immigrants isn't apples to apples.

2. There's a lot of value in NOT being brought up with American conditioning on race. Africans are well aware of racism but I think they generally approach the American form of it differently than ADOS. I think that's largely from growing up with a plethora of black role models in business, educations, etc and not experiencing race as a limiting factor (tribe, religion, class, and gender are way more important).

America conditions many black people to not even try to reach their potential. So I think being raised outside of that conditioning (or even being raised by someone who was raised outside of that like I was ) reaps a lot of rewards.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 01:59 PM

10. "Excellent points "
In response to Reply # 9

>Can't do it full justice right now but I see a couple
>factors.
>
>1. You've gotta be pretty well-educated and self-motivated to
>be allowed to immigrate from an African country.

YES.

>Comparing the
>average "ADOS" to the average African immigrants isn't apples
>to apples.
>
>2. There's a lot of value in NOT being brought up with
>American conditioning on race. Africans are well aware of
>racism but I think they generally approach the American form
>of it differently than ADOS. I think that's largely from
>growing up with a plethora of black role models in business,
>educations, etc and not experiencing race as a limiting factor
>(tribe, religion, class, and gender are way more important).
>

YES.

>America conditions many black people to not even try to reach
>their potential. So I think being raised outside of that
>conditioning (or even being raised by someone who was raised
>outside of that like I was ) reaps a lot of rewards.

YES.

AFRICAN
Charter member
11871 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 04:12 AM

31. "this"
In response to Reply # 9

>2. There's a lot of value in NOT being brought up with
>American conditioning on race. Africans are well aware of
>racism but I think they generally approach the American form
>of it differently than ADOS. I think that's largely from
>growing up with a plethora of black role models in business,
>educations, etc and not experiencing race as a limiting factor
>(tribe, religion, class, and gender are way more important).
>
>

for the record this affects children of immigrants to a lesser degree.
one of the main reasons i'm adamant my kids grow up here.they have no idea what being held in contempt by an authority figure feels like.i want to protect that innocence and let them dream for a little longer.
we talk about race and racism but they haven't felt that sting and i'm trying to build up their confidence and pride so they can face that reckoning and withstand it when it happens.

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
instagram:@3rdworldview
Blessed be the Lord /who believe any mess they read up on the message board

double negative
22151 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 09:55 AM

34. "my wife spent a lot of time in Africa"
In response to Reply # 31

and I always think about a story she told me me about rolling with some Ghanaian friends one summer years ago. The cops pulled them over and the driver hopped out the car and acted indignant as fuck to the officer. Homie went full Karen and she was shook because she had the American perspective of submission to authority without question.

That story stands out for me so much because it points out the difference in perception and difference of autonomy between peoples.

AFRICAN
Charter member
11871 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 11:10 AM

37. "Bro"
In response to Reply # 34

I was telling a friend who lives on the states how I lost it in a bank(this was a long time ago and I was high,lol) and made a big scene.
He was like if I did that here Iā€™d probably end up dead.
That shit was sobering.
Iā€™m grateful for the chance to make a mistake or exhibit poor judgement without having to die for it.

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
instagram:@3rdworldview
Blessed be the Lord /who believe any mess they read up on the message board

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 02:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "it's funny watching y'all fall for these loser scams"
In response to Reply # 0

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 02:58 PM

14. "lemme halt this right quick"
In response to Reply # 13

if you're talking about my use of "ADOS" I decided to use it to make a semi provocative title

however, if you're not talking about that, then I'd like to hear your thoughts

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 04:32 PM

25. "one comment"
In response to Reply # 14

I was feeling a little bit like "THEY TOOK OUR JOBS" watching all these african cats during the NBA draft

a lil bit

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 03:10 PM

16. "Aside from acting, no"
In response to Reply # 0

Most non-Latinx black immigrants are from the upper rings of society in their home countries, OR the most gifted and industrious. They succeed about the same rate as Black people born in the upper rings of US society.

It's unrealistic to compare Af-Ams as a whole to the best and brightest of the diaspora. It will always look as if the immigrants are getting favorable treatment.

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 03:15 PM

17. "exccept"
In response to Reply # 16

There's no structure in their native societies for upper echelon American Blacks to emigrate to their countries and reap the advantages. So, any way you slice it, if we're talking about the competition for resources, ADOS are getting the short end of the stick.

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 04:05 PM

20. "is "favorable treatment" really the right word though in this case?"

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 06:09 PM

27. "this"

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 03:31 PM

18. "They are using different tools, similar "
In response to Reply # 0

to Asians, Middle Easterns, and Europeans. They donā€™t migrate or immigrate to america illegally, and they already have a financial base, and they have monetary connections going back to their homeland. So they are not coming to America in a poor state. That allows them to comfortably establish businesses, set up their lives and families for future growth, and their welfare and well being donā€™t depend on government assistance or programs.

This is why I tell people that color, race,etc donā€™t have anything to do with conditioning, intelligence or experience. Itā€™s about where you come from and how you were nurtured.

Here is an example. 88 keys is a 2nd generation immigrant from Cameroon. His parents, like a lot of African parents, wanted him to be a doctor. They paid for his schooling, housing, utilities, and other expenses so he could just focus on becoming a doctor. He didnā€™t want to become a doctor, so he dropped out of college. They disowned him after that, because they didnā€™t want him to pursue anything else, because anything else wasnā€™t as prestigious or financially stable.

My perception of that is Africans, just like Jews, Asians, etc, understand financial commitment and selflessness in order to create wealth and job security. As African Americans we are taught that by the time a person is 18, he or she has to be out on his own, as well as being able to financial support oneself. Thatā€™s the age of cut off, so that leads to young African American adults , especially males, being set up to fail. And when they fail they get shunned by their families and society, and the cycle just continues to repeat itself.

I also took from that: They refuse to accept , considering all things are healthy, anything that is satisfactory or less than excellence. That can be both good or bad. However, it weeds out dependency, mental weakness, and insecurity. But on the flip side, it creates prejudice, classism, and apathy towards people who are not as successful or who are poor. There are quite a few Africans who look down upon African Americans, or consider African Americans to be lower than them.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 04:16 PM

22. "you got some good broth here. "
In response to Reply # 18

>to Asians, Middle Easterns, and Europeans. They donā€™t
>migrate or immigrate to america illegally, and they already
>have a financial base, and they have monetary connections
>going back to their homeland. So they are not coming to
>America in a poor state. That allows them to comfortably
>establish businesses, set up their lives and families for
>future growth, and their welfare and well being donā€™t depend
>on government assistance or programs.
>
>This is why I tell people that color, race,etc donā€™t have
>anything to do with conditioning, intelligence or experience.
>Itā€™s about where you come from and how you were nurtured.
>
>Here is an example. 88 keys is a 2nd generation immigrant from
>Cameroon. His parents, like a lot of African parents, wanted
>him to be a doctor. They paid for his schooling, housing,
>utilities, and other expenses so he could just focus on
>becoming a doctor. He didnā€™t want to become a doctor, so he
>dropped out of college. They disowned him after that, because
>they didnā€™t want him to pursue anything else, because
>anything else wasnā€™t as prestigious or financially stable.
>
>My perception of that is Africans, just like Jews, Asians,
>etc, understand financial commitment and selflessness in order
>to create wealth and job security. As African Americans we are
>taught that by the time a person is 18, he or she has to be
>out on his own, as well as being able to financial support
>oneself. Thatā€™s the age of cut off, so that leads to young
>African American adults , especially males, being set up to
>fail. And when they fail they get shunned by their families
>and society, and the cycle just continues to repeat itself.
>

FUCK. Next year is the one where I get off my ass and get the 529 up and running

>I also took from that: They refuse to accept , considering
>all things are healthy, anything that is satisfactory or less
>than excellence. That can be both good or bad. However, it
>weeds out dependency, mental weakness, and insecurity. But on
>the flip side, it creates prejudice, classism, and apathy
>towards people who are not as successful or who are poor.

Double edge sword and as I've seen it puts waaaaaay too much pressure on young people to perform

>There are quite a few Africans who look down upon African
>Americans, or consider African Americans to be lower than
>them.
>

This is a part of the complexity I had in mind when writing the post because again, it's complex. This divisive area is counter productive and I want to be clear that in my thinking the point is not to imply that their positions are unearned - if anything I'm trying to identify the differences in approach. It's a complex and touchy area that demands a lot of nuances to properly approach and handle the content...so, yeah.

I think, (what I perceive as) their success in various areas provides a different way of thinking about BEING which is something I've been thinking a lot about lately esp with the stuff I've read recently like 'The Color of Money: Black Banks and the Racial Wealth Gap' and 'The Man-not'.

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 04:27 PM

23. "I grew up around Italians so it was common to see old ass Italians"
In response to Reply # 18

living at home until they got married.

We definitely try to get out kids out the house at 18 on some ā€œnow
you grownā€

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 04:16 PM

21. "RE: ADOS...are we being left behind?"
In response to Reply # 0

>
>1. Pan Africanism is a complex identity. I at once view
>Africans, Carribeans, Afro-Latinos, and African Americans (re:
>"Black") in the US as Black and black. Identity is complex and
>its not as simple as US vs THEM and it varies a lot at the
>individual level.
>
One genuine question here and I appreciat you acknowledging the complexity originally -- but how do you delineate and define that Black vs black. Especially in the US and especially on the eastern seaboard -- there has been such a long, complex, and beautiful history between Caribbean and African American culture that has spanned generations now.

At what point might you consider someone Black vs black there before we even talk about "mixing"

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 04:27 PM

24. "My personal, non academic way of thinking about it is..."
In response to Reply # 21

Black is the space that fills the void of lacking "traditional culture" while also being a mixture of "traditional culture" and new cultural inventions.

Black is an umbrella concept that draws in from cultural roots and it's a modern invention so it's malleable. Like for example - Beyonce's Lion King mini movie video thing was Africa being seen through the black American perspective but then it also created something that was Black art.

Black is American culture and values based in and seen through the perspective of people who are the descendants of enslaved Africans.

So, where it gets kind of tricky is the idea that it's a culture and people based in the US but it seems to be relatable to non-US black people and it's grown and shifted to adapt to local cultures.

Then there is the whole idea of who counts as American culturally

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 08:33 PM

28. "African Brain Drain"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-07-20 08:34 PM by Mori

If African immigrants can make it happen abroad, why can't they make changes in their home countries? First world countries recruit the best of the best from Africa. I have friends who want to go home to Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone but the corruption is so bad that they could not move forward.

So many people are advancing off the back of Black Americans' initial struggle, so there is no way to really compare.

Black Americans have been psychologically beat down. I question if I want to raise my kid here much longer. So much embedded defeat in how we live our daily lives. Totally consumed with pop culture, entertainment, violence and politics. Any deviation from that will ostracize her from her peers.

Black American culture is a strange endless loop and it is hard to break out of. I see it in how we condition our kids about being black in America. Already starts off with defeat.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

Fire1986
Member since Jul 15th 2005
698 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 09:38 PM

29. "All of this"
In response to Reply # 28

Everything has been figured out except how to live.

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 09:51 PM

30. "This is pure cultured truthā€™ism"

Word for word.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 09:36 AM

33. "Thank you "

Musa
15789 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 10:26 AM

35. "This is true lets not forget the vetting process"

and the punishment that people of African ancestry who were brought here as captives face perpetually.

I forgot which scholar pointed it out (Maybe Frantz Fanon)

How a particular celebrity singer from early 20th century would speak Spanish while touring the south because the aggression she faced would lessen if she was seen as a foreign African rather than one born here.

The contempt and subversion our people face is very real.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Sun Dec-13-20 03:28 PM

43. "amen"

>

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 08:54 AM

32. "We were left behind long ago...."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-08-20 08:55 AM by Kira

ADOS was hijacked by Dems.

... And all of the rest of their anti-black racist causes......

Descendants od American Slaves and Foundational Black Americans are not groups. Groups are open for infiltration and black leaders get assasinated ror the most part except for the honorable elijah muhammed. Rip to the goat and fine example of a DOAS that successfully created a long lasting organization.

Tl;dr short answer: white supremacists designed it this way and the black immigrant anti-black racist tier keeps it going.

We aren't at the table for two reasons. White supremacists were successful in filtering out black skin colored immigrants that were receptive to their idelogy and seperated those incoming immigrants from black enclaves sending them to live with their fellow immigrants.

The white supremacist sponsored civil rights leaders at the table and others fought against racial purity laws. They weren't letting any black immigrants into this country after black society turnt up. However, those at the table thought immigrants with dark skin tone would reciprocate this kind gesture. That logic ruined black society as we knew it, beginning this bs.....

Bullshit means immigrants with "african ancestry" coming here feigning unity, receiving benefits then using those benefits to express contempt for black society and using their power to keep it in its current state. This is why you hear them talk down on us. Let's get to modern examples to preemptively silence the naysayers. I'm only referencing the anti-black racist tier from these cultures:

Enrique Tarrio, Afro Cuban, and his blatant contempt for black society. Beverly Zakita Beatty, african immigrant and her contempt for black society.

Coleman Cruz Hughes, Puerto Rican (literally has dark skin that's it), and his paper that tells black society we dont deserve reparations.

Luuvie, Nigerian not even from here, and here NAACP award winning paper on how black americans (her words verbatim) dont deserve reparations because they didnt deserve earn.

Amanda Seales, Grenadian (Carribean), her constant attacks on black society and foundational black American men while dumping the problems from her region onto black society as a whole.

Yvette Clark, Carribean, telling black americans we dont need reparations while obtaining resources beneficial for her people and supporting Caricom which coincedentally excludes foundational black americans from those benefits.

^^ This is a short list that excludes Candace Owens, Obama, Tarana Burke, Kamala Harris, Stephen A Smith and plenty of others because I dont feel like typing their transgressions right now.

This is a modern fight for resources I'm not against anyone but respect the sentiments stemming from the anti-black racist coon tier of these cultures and their goals... Hope the majority of members from these cultures stop their anti-black racist tier from their attacks on black society.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

double negative
22151 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 10:32 AM

36. "IMO: not the best examples you have here "
In response to Reply # 32

>Bullshit means immigrants with "african ancestry" coming here
>feigning unity, receiving benefits then using those benefits
>to express contempt for black society and using their power to
>keep it in its current state. This is why you hear them talk
>down on us. Let's get to modern examples to preemptively
>silence the naysayers. I'm only referencing the anti-black
>racist tier from these cultures:
>
>Enrique Tarrio, Afro Cuban, and his blatant contempt for black
>society.

Enrique is a bit too new school to fit him in with your thesis. What I mean is, the alt-right, proud boys, tiki torch stuff is classic racial contempt and racism but it also operates in a very different manner. I also don't know if he's ever feigned unity or if he has open contempt for black society.

>Beverly Zakita Beatty, african immigrant and her
>contempt for black society.
>

Bevelyn Beatty is also a weird one. She seems to be American - born in staten island, dad from harlem, mom from Brooklyn and her motives appear to be rooted in being a religious zealot. https://religionunplugged.com/news/2020/11/3/bevelyn-beatty-the-jesus-matters-activist-who-defaced-blm-murals-talks-faith-and-politics

>Coleman Cruz Hughes, Puerto Rican (literally has dark skin
>that's it), and his paper that tells black society we dont
>deserve reparations.
>
He is half Puerto Rican. One parent is black, one is PR.

>Luuvie, Nigerian not even from here, and here NAACP award
>winning paper on how black americans (her words verbatim) dont
>deserve reparations because they didnt deserve earn.
>
>Amanda Seales, Grenadian (Carribean), her constant attacks on
>black society and foundational black American men while
>dumping the problems from her region onto black society as a
>whole.
>

Amanda is...problematic all around.

>Yvette Clark, Carribean, telling black americans we dont need
>reparations while obtaining resources beneficial for her
>people and supporting Caricom which coincedentally excludes
>foundational black americans from those benefits.
>
>^^ This is a short list that excludes Candace Owens, Obama,
>Tarana Burke, Kamala Harris, Stephen A Smith and plenty of
>others because I dont feel like typing their transgressions
>right now.
>

Candace is both African American and Carribean (her grandmother) - I don't know if I count her on this list as well because of her immature grasp of history and tendency to run at extremes of the spectrum. Shes also a grifter.

Obama actually might be a good example, but I don't there is contempt for black people here. I think he just has some blind spots and he has a way of going about blackness that speaks to (I think) mostly the black middle and upper class. I'm wondering now if Barry is cut from the same cloth as Booker T. which if true makes sense why he can come off as missing the mark.

Kamala - see Obama + shes very much law and order which is not traditionally considered an aspect of black culture even though there is a history of African Americans in law enforcement.

>This is a modern fight for resources I'm not against anyone
>but respect the sentiments stemming from the anti-black racist
>coon tier of these cultures and their goals... Hope the
>majority of members from these cultures stop their anti-black
>racist tier from their attacks on black society.
>

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 11:29 AM

38. "Without getting too much into the substance of what you are saying, I fi..."
Tue Dec-08-20 11:32 AM by Buddy_Gilapagos

odd to put like Candace Owens, Amanda Seales, Obama and Kamala Harris in the same sentence.

Like I look at the list of people you name and some seem to be powerful influencers of policy and public opinions and others are fox news kooks or even less important/influential youtube kooks.

I had to look up Bevelyn Beatty and when I found her I was like, who gives a sh*t what she says or thinks?

I just wonder how moronic trolls are able to get our attention just as much as the people who actually shape policy and have influence on these issues?

Feels very Cargo Cult-like to me.

>ADOS was hijacked by Dems.
>
>... And all of the rest of their anti-black racist
>causes......
>
>Descendants od American Slaves and Foundational Black
>Americans are not groups. Groups are open for infiltration and
>black leaders get assasinated ror the most part except for the
>honorable elijah muhammed. Rip to the goat and fine example of
>a DOAS that successfully created a long lasting organization.
>
>Tl;dr short answer: white supremacists designed it this way
>and the black immigrant anti-black racist tier keeps it
>going.
>
>We aren't at the table for two reasons. White supremacists
>were successful in filtering out black skin colored immigrants
>that were receptive to their idelogy and seperated those
>incoming immigrants from black enclaves sending them to live
>with their fellow immigrants.
>
>The white supremacist sponsored civil rights leaders at the
>table and others fought against racial purity laws. They
>weren't letting any black immigrants into this country after
>black society turnt up. However, those at the table thought
>immigrants with dark skin tone would reciprocate this kind
>gesture. That logic ruined black society as we knew it,
>beginning this bs.....
>
>Bullshit means immigrants with "african ancestry" coming here
>feigning unity, receiving benefits then using those benefits
>to express contempt for black society and using their power to
>keep it in its current state. This is why you hear them talk
>down on us. Let's get to modern examples to preemptively
>silence the naysayers. I'm only referencing the anti-black
>racist tier from these cultures:
>
>Enrique Tarrio, Afro Cuban, and his blatant contempt for black
>society. Beverly Zakita Beatty, african immigrant and her
>contempt for black society.
>
>Coleman Cruz Hughes, Puerto Rican (literally has dark skin
>that's it), and his paper that tells black society we dont
>deserve reparations.
>
>Luuvie, Nigerian not even from here, and here NAACP award
>winning paper on how black americans (her words verbatim) dont
>deserve reparations because they didnt deserve earn.
>
>Amanda Seales, Grenadian (Carribean), her constant attacks on
>black society and foundational black American men while
>dumping the problems from her region onto black society as a
>whole.
>
>Yvette Clark, Carribean, telling black americans we dont need
>reparations while obtaining resources beneficial for her
>people and supporting Caricom which coincedentally excludes
>foundational black americans from those benefits.
>
>^^ This is a short list that excludes Candace Owens, Obama,
>Tarana Burke, Kamala Harris, Stephen A Smith and plenty of
>others because I dont feel like typing their transgressions
>right now.
>
>This is a modern fight for resources I'm not against anyone
>but respect the sentiments stemming from the anti-black racist
>coon tier of these cultures and their goals... Hope the
>majority of members from these cultures stop their anti-black
>racist tier from their attacks on black society.
>

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Tue Dec-08-20 01:54 PM

39. "Anti-Blackness has always been a credential within itself"
In response to Reply # 38

Like whiteness.

Patrice O'Neal used to talk about how absurd it was that you'd turn on Jerry Springer and there would be some Harvard educated, published black person debating some toothless klan member.

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 05:44 PM

54. "Don't forget Joy Reid. "

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Dec-11-20 07:51 PM

40. "the answer is simple to me: it appears so. and it is by design."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-11-20 07:52 PM by Dr Claw

the reason is also simple to me:
since the emancipation of enslaved people in the US, the ruling class of the US had no idea what to do with this population.

Some chose a path of intended reparation (Reconstruction).
But many more, installed paths of continued enslavement and bottom-class assignment (the carceral state).

Ava Duvernay, noted petty bourgeois class warrior, even made a movie about that latter topic in the last couple years.

the latter is what has endured over time.

when Black people, the former enslaved, pulled themselves up by the bootstraps, the way the white overseers and some of their black appointees in the future continue to suggest? Violence, brutal violence.

when Black people, the former enslaved, fought for the rightful inclusion in the reindeer games of greater American society? Violence, brutal violence.

When Black people, the former enslaved, got some slots they were due in the reindeer games? Violence, brutal violence. Crack cocaine wasn't an accident.

Most of us know this.

Some people might bristle at your use of "ADOS" here; I don't.
That's the filth of liberalism.... or rather, what has become "woke conservatism" as the ruling class drags America rightward doing its job; I reject it.

Much as I reject the behavior and front-facing culture war politics of much of those online who fly the "ADOS" flag.

ADOS, from the economic perspective, is identity politics done properly. It's important to bring that aspect in this discussion, to understand what the ruling class has done to keep the machine rolling, to enforce caste in this country.

Anti-Blackness is the oil that greases the wheel in America. Such is that the ruling class will use anything and ANYONE to keep it the dominant, hegemonic mode of operation in the U.S. Including other Black people, "ADOS" and African disasporic alike.

Usually, you see this through your Candace Owens, your Allan Wests, various celebrities getting extra anti-Black under the light.

But in the economic space, it just might be true that the ruling classes -- within industries of all shapes, within politics, may be intentionally preferring the non-ADOS Black option to be the representative of "Black people".

Especially within spaces "liberal". It's appearance politics, a sort of negative "identity politics" that is often derided as the genuine article, from far right dweebs, to white and non-Black POC class reductionist leftists alike.

Reality is, the diasporic Black folks who are in these slots, whether it be intentional or not, is still working within the framework of white supremacy. Many of those exceptional is just that, exceptional.

There are many African and Carribean immigrants as poor, as exploited, as imprisoned, as much subject to the brutal state violenace as ADOS.

So when I see those few folks who might be Black, but whose last name might not be Anglophone, whose parents might have come here on the latter side of 1950... I don't get mad at them, I look at the whiteness that put them there with utmost contempt.

That particular point, I believe is the wayward drift of a number of those who wear the "ADOS" Flag on their sleeve. The reason why the liberals will hop in with the kneejerk concern.

We know who does this, and why they do this.

If they can't overtly enslave us, they have no idea how to cope.

Most of 'em see us (ADOS and otherwise) as disposable. That goes for those in the "exceptional" slots, too.

Until America deals with its anti-Blackness, it will forever be a shithole.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

afrogirl_lost
3062 posts
Sun Dec-13-20 01:17 PM

42. "None of these colonizer countries like their native population of"
In response to Reply # 0

Black folks. I am deeply concerned with the reality that opportunities that should be reserved for Black Americans (in order to address a specific historical harm) are not going to us. I am also offended when Africans and Caribbeans pretend not to understand the hierarchy or the unique forms of anti-Blackness experienced by Black Americans.At the end of the day, white supremacy is the true culprit so I try to focus on that. It's honestly really exhausting.

Musa
15789 posts
Sun Dec-13-20 03:43 PM

44. "You are not native"
In response to Reply # 42

and they let us know that every step of the way.

We would be wise to look for greener pastures or at least places where that when we actually have a chance to water them outsiders cannot sabotage them.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

afrogirl_lost
3062 posts
Sun Dec-13-20 05:21 PM

45. "Whatever dude"
In response to Reply # 44

I'm not interested in leaving the city my family has lived in since the 1700s. I have land, history, and family here. Why would I trade that to be an immigrant in a strange country?

Musa
15789 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 11:33 AM

46. "Because that is what smart people do. They go where they can thrive"
In response to Reply # 45
Mon Dec-14-20 11:34 AM by Musa

they don't stay in the desert when they can go to a lush savannah especially when that desert is artificially created.

I don't care if my family was here since the 1760s guess what they spent A MAJORITY OF THE TIME IN SUBJUGATION.

And if I look at post 1863 the next 100 year under subtle and not so subtle subjugation.

WHY would I say in a place that stole my ancestry to be their permanent underclass and treats me as an immigrant?

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 11:43 AM

47. "Not to go all love it or leave it, but specifically where would you go?"
In response to Reply # 46

What country would be better for you?

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 12:14 PM

48. "and why isnā€™t he already there? "
In response to Reply # 47

always hear these people talk about leaving but never do.

Now if heā€™s already made moved then preach and tell us of that experience.

Musa
15789 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 02:56 PM

51. "Because smart make the best move"
In response to Reply # 48
Mon Dec-14-20 02:59 PM by Musa

they don't just act off impulse.

its over 150 countries on the planet.

Also I actually have been looking at potential places to live for the last two years but TRAVELING COST MONEY.

ESPECIALLY TO AFRICAN COUNTRIES.

I always see yall say why ain't you there yet like finances are not a factor.

Yall can't even take 2 weeks off of work without feeling it STAPH playing.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Tue Dec-15-20 09:29 AM

61. "no shade i just think this idea that moving is the best option "
In response to Reply # 51
Tue Dec-15-20 09:31 AM by legsdiamond

isnā€™t always based on experience.

I rarely see people posting from outside the US talking about why life is better somewhere else. It always seems to be people who have never tried it who swear its the best move for Black Americans.

Would just like to hear some real world experiences vs lectures.

Iā€™m not opposed to it at all.

but a little part of me definitely wonders if life in the US is really that bad for ME as a Black American. Iā€™m thriving in America so Iā€™m not sure moving would be in our best interest. All my friends who moved overseas or fantasized about living abroad always came back because America is home.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Tue Dec-15-20 11:07 AM

62. "It always remind me of Nas in Belly talking about he was moving to Afric..."
In response to Reply # 61

Like my man didn't even list a country or city, just Africa.

Its more of an Ideal than a real place.

Musa
15789 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 02:55 PM

50. "I've been researching but it will be an African country"
In response to Reply # 47

more than likely.

I was planning on visiting a few countries this year but COVID-19 ruined that.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

afrogirl_lost
3062 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 01:45 PM

49. "Where do you live? nm"
In response to Reply # 46

Musa
15789 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 03:01 PM

52. "Lol what does that even mean or matter"
In response to Reply # 49

Did you chose where your parents got pregnant at?

Yall jump into these circular emotional arguments and NEVER address the facts.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

afrogirl_lost
3062 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 06:14 PM

55. "Iā€™m asking so I can decide how to proceed with the conversation "
In response to Reply # 52

Iā€™ve lived in several places in Europe and in Africa, so my opinions/choices are based on lived experience. When people who havenā€™t done so tell me what I should think, itā€™s laughable.

Musa
15789 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 06:20 PM

56. "I've lived in Philly"
In response to Reply # 55

NY

Atl

DC.

Looking at several African countries.

At top of list are Kenya, Tanzania, Ghana, Senegal,

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

afrogirl_lost
3062 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 07:21 PM

57. "Nice choices "
In response to Reply # 56

I found Tanzania the most interesting and beautiful of all the places you listed. And the food was amazing. Ghana was the most comfortable culturally even with the differences. Iā€™ve only been to Nairobi for a few days and it annoyed me like NY. Good luck to you. Sincerely. Let us know how you fare so maybe more of us will consider moving.

Musa
15789 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 09:33 PM

58. "I most definitely will do"
In response to Reply # 57

thank you.

If I may ask what made you move back or was your move temporary?

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

afrogirl_lost
3062 posts
Tue Dec-15-20 07:58 AM

59. "It was several things "
In response to Reply # 58

I realized that I am just very Black American and I like being immersed in my culture. My husband also got a great job in DC that we couldnā€™t pass up. I was pregnant and super irritable. I think I also just got tired of the luke warm showers, my electricity going out, and the lack of diversity in terms of food options. This was especially true in Ghana. I lived there 10 years ago, so Iā€™m sure things have changed some what. I have a few friends who moved to Cape Coast who still complain about these things. I think itā€™s all about what you can personally deal with. I also think you have to be deeply committed to repatriation as a deeply held political belief. I wasnā€™t there at the time.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue Dec-15-20 08:33 AM

60. "*thumbs up*"
In response to Reply # 42

> am also offended when Africans and Caribbeans pretend
>not to understand the hierarchy or the unique forms of
>anti-Blackness experienced by Black Americans.At the end of
>the day, white supremacy is the true culprit so I try to focus
>on that. It's honestly really exhausting.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #13415650 Previous topic | Next topic